Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sonatinas posted:

buddy if it’s still bad now it was loving terrible when I lived in Shenzhen in 02-03. like I had to stop hanging out with a lot of westerners because of how bad it got.

yeah me too for the most part. theres some social groups of americans and euro expats here and i mostly stay away from them for my own sanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

i recently had an american coworker, who's lived here for 6 years and is married to a chinese woman, tell me that he "feels something under the surface here is very wrong" and "just walking down the street, whenever i see a chinese person, i am filled with hate"
i'd probably say something inappropriate that'd just piss him off more like "man, marriage ain't going well, is it?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Antonymous posted:

Chinese people are more than willing to criticize their government in private. People are typically supportive but not blindly, except maybe on a few big issues like Taiwan.

If you show chinese people an anti-chinese propaganda documentary I've found that they generally agree with it, because they don't see it as threatening them personally.

Like, there's so many documentaries and films that go "china is oppressing minorities, killing babies, enslaving workers" etc and my friends are like "yeah we should be better". they don't sense it's an existential threat to have US films turn the world against them and make them ok to bomb in a hot war - destroy empathy - the actual purpose of those films. The question of "why does the US keep giving awards to films that critize china" doesn't immediately pop out. Does china have a cottage industry of films criticizing india or south africa?

Of course some people get buttmad but that's "patriots" of any country. they just get mad at being criticized

Chinese people are more brainwashed by pro-Western propaganda than pro-government propaganda. The number of mainlanders who believe Western governments are built on a genuine ethos of individual rights/free markets/personal freedom is crazy.
Like their interpretation of covid policy is still pro-China, but they are way too willing to believe that Western governments are acting in good faith - 'Western policy doesn't seem great, but we understand that americans love freedom and it's hard for the government to control and restrict them, so the US govt didn't really have a choice' - as opposed to the reality that the government simply does not give a poo poo.

I guess everyone in any country has a more realistic view of where they live and is easily misled about other nations.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3186279/china-plans-turning-moon-outpost-defending-earth-asteroids-say

quote:

China plans to turn the moon into an outpost for defending the Earth from asteroids, say scientists
Two optical telescopes would be built on the moon’s south and north poles to survey the sky for threats evading the ground-base early warning network
Test satellites could also help protect China’s national security by having the telescopes and sensors pointed towards the Earth, say researchers

Thank you, President Xi

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

nevermind what i said before, here's the horizon zero dawn future

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

i recently had an american coworker, who's lived here for 6 years and is married to a chinese woman, tell me that he "feels something under the surface here is very wrong" and "just walking down the street, whenever i see a chinese person, i am filled with hate"

Wtf, thats so gross.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

fart simpson posted:

Lou Dobbs divorced his Mexican-American wife and married a Chinese one 6+ years ago?! :eyepop:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

fart simpson posted:

It is pretty weird as an American to experience the inhuman aura of Chinese cities. Pedestrians outnumber cars, there are no random gunshots to be heard, very few obese people (sign of a famine?), etc

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

Pedestrians outnumber cars, there are no random gunshots to be heard, very few obese people (sign of a famine?), etc

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/XisMoments/status/1550691674057330688

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The bromance was refreshing as well.

You never see two dudes being supportive best buds in western media like they were in RRR.

yes you do

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont think anyone in the west gets that being friends is a bit more nuanced than one guy is a complete rear end in a top hat and the other one just puts up with it

yes they do

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My wife is a Chinese expat here in America and she's shocked and appalled by how Americans consume 3 lbs of cinnamon per capita per year and in the most disgusting manner imaginable. In China cinnamon is a spice used sparingly to season 红烧肉 and a few other meat dishes. In America they dump cinnamon on every kind of desert and sweet. there's cinnamon flavored coffee and oreos and a national chain of bakeries that exclusively make cinnamon flavored sweet pastries called Cinnabon.

Source: I've lived in America for six years.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
cinnamon owns

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Imagine being an immigrant to America and even noticing cinnamon consumption levels amongst an ocean of shocking and appalling things.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

My wife is a Chinese expat here in America and she's shocked and appalled by how Americans consume 3 lbs of cinnamon per capita per year and in the most disgusting manner imaginable. In China cinnamon is a spice used sparingly to season 红烧肉 and a few other meat dishes. In America they dump cinnamon on every kind of desert and sweet. there's cinnamon flavored coffee and oreos and a national chain of bakeries that exclusively make cinnamon flavored sweet pastries called Cinnabon.

it's ok, most of the cinnamon we use is fake anyway

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Chinese people are more brainwashed by pro-Western propaganda than pro-government propaganda. The number of mainlanders who believe Western governments are built on a genuine ethos of individual rights/free markets/personal freedom is crazy.
Like their interpretation of covid policy is still pro-China, but they are way too willing to believe that Western governments are acting in good faith - 'Western policy doesn't seem great, but we understand that americans love freedom and it's hard for the government to control and restrict them, so the US govt didn't really have a choice' - as opposed to the reality that the government simply does not give a poo poo.

I guess everyone in any country has a more realistic view of where they live and is easily misled about other nations.

anti-us propaganda in china is extremely mild. a lot of chinese middle class empathized with trumps trade war. its a lot like if you told a liberal that the french president hated america and wanted to punish its people, they would fawn over it because "aww, the french, yeah our president is bad!". Middle class china always sees america as a working alternative.

the only place china is unified in disliking is Taiwan, and even then its mostly tepid. A lot of people love japan (anime).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

lol. airport staple. i have an image of a chinese person getting off the plane at la guardia after arriving from beijing capital avant-garde future international airport and encountering that and being like :wtc:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

cinnamon, root beer, most kinds of cheese. these are pretty unpopular american/western flavors.

sadly they are flavors I love, uncivilized

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like cinnabon

Sorry if that offends

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Idk I have chinese friends say stuff like "at least in the usa cops can't just decide to ruin your day like in China, you have rights" the propaganda really really works.

Even in LA with its homelessness epidemic people just see beverly hills, a gaudy enclave china has millions of, and say "look in America people can't gently caress with you making money" etc

its very weird. But if I move to a country I would rather praise them and curse my homeland, so maybe I do get it

edit: also most chinese you meet who live in USA have advanced degrees and come from a pretty middle class if not higher background. class really is the fundamental determinant of ideology

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Jul 23, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

???

Cinnamon is a staple in Indian cooking. It’s used in everything from biryanis to garam masala.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i dunno. but i imagine people complaining about their government is normal all over the world

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Antonymous posted:

cinnamon, root beer, most kinds of cheese. these are pretty unpopular american/western flavors.

this is hosed up and so distressing that I’m starting to think they’re doing at least one genocide

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

???

Cinnamon is a staple in Indian cooking. It’s used in everything from biryanis to garam masala.

"as american as apple pie"

goons: actually apples are native to western china, not norht america, how do ouuy not know this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Is cinnamon a western flavor if it’s used be one of the most populous counties in the world?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

For a dude who constantly complains about how this thread generalizes everything you sure love doing the same thing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
did you guys know that america used to be just like England in terms of absolutely loving mince and beef pies that were so full of alchohol you could die of alchohol poisoning from them until mass market canning appeared in the 1920s and American pies became completely relegated to being a dessert option rather than a staple American food?

pies of all types used to be an American institution until 1920 or so

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
we still have meat pies they’re just handheld now and we call them hot pockets

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is cinnamon a western flavor if it’s used be one of the most populous counties in the world?

yes because it is a flavor common and familiar in western cuisine and has been for thousands of years, next question

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The west uses salt and pepper too. Are those western flavors?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Antonymous posted:

yes because it is a flavor common and familiar in western cuisine and has been for thousands of years, next question

ummm actually you’re an imperialist cultural appropriator and you owe the cinnamon tribes a land recognition everytime you eat a Cinnabon

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

what are you looking for here? someone to quote you and say you're a smart special boy? for me to have an a-ha realization that flavors belong to the cultures that originated them like some kind of intellectual property? what is the objective in this line of questioning, and I'll answer you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I’m asking if salt and pepper are western flavors.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

your logic would say "thai food isn't spicy, because if it's spicy, it's not thai"

you should be ashamed by that kind of logic cooking in your brain. exercise it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

That’s not what my logic is saying at all. I’m saying it’s weird to say cinnamon is a western/American specific flavor.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

flavors exist in the tongue-brain connections of a human being they do not have "specificities"

I already explained my definition as being a flavor common and familiar

"it tastes like cinnamon" the white man said

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Antonymous posted:

Idk I have chinese friends say stuff like "at least in the usa cops can't just decide to ruin your day like in China, you have rights" the propaganda really really works.

well they generally don't just decide to ruin your day, they just decide to end your life

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

huh

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I’m glad we’re back to you schizo posting.