Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Oh no! We're running out of water! Quick, let's slightly reduce the maximum size of a thing that doesn't need to exist at all, but only for new construction!

Holy poo poo we are astoundingly stupid and solutions like this are an awesome microcosm for climate change as a whole. We're not even all that interested in closing the barn doors after the horses get out, we're only really interested in discussing the possibility that perhaps newer barn doors should open slightly more slowly so that hypothetical future horses (which will never exist because the climate will no longer support complex life) escape less dramatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Voice of Labor posted:

india and africa are looking pretty good in the "not gonna starve first" category. this has something to do with that indians and africans breeding too much thing doesn't it

uhhhh yeah i think india and africa are gonna have bigger problems than feeding themselves

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

no one is going to starve you idiots
the streets are going to be littered with roasted sun-baked corpses
all the ribs you can eat

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Isentropy posted:

I am a Jamaican and lol lmfao I'm not posting jack poo poo about what happens in the Caribbean if some dude can just Kramer in and talk about how evil it is we sign deals with the evil CCP. Like we spent 30 years waiting for a Mo Bay/Kingston highway with HOV lanes from the Glorious West. China gave us it in 3

owns

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cup Runneth Over posted:

uhhhh yeah i think india and africa are gonna have bigger problems than feeding themselves

live by the equator die by the equator

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

I recently saw an add for this show on TV here and started hooting and hollering:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/m0010k4c/episodes

The premise of the show is people telling you products to buy to be nicer to the planet. Of course the ad I saw had people buying new electric cars, different formulations of cleaning product in the same plastic bottles as everything else, and numerous other BS greenwashed consumerist tripe.

Lol this is awful

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol thats like those spray paint your hands red and turn yourself in campaigns right?

no if you wear a mask it's impossible to get caught just deflating tires in the middle of the night, even in a 120% CCTV'd country like UK lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Hubbert posted:

the more I read All Hell Breaks Loose, the more :stare: I become.

quote:

A portal to Hell opens over the streets of San Francisco and everybody's lives get turned upside down. Mariah Adams, the last surviving nurse of the San Francisco General Hospital, must do whatever she can to survive while also protecting the fragile life of her last surviving patient, Hector "Smalls" Hernandez. The two of them have to contend with food shortages, flying demons, and restless nights as the try to make sense of just how much their world has changed.

:hmmyes:
https://www.amazon.com/Hell-Breaks-Loose-Justin-Castleton-ebook/dp/B07QVK66WQ

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

all hell breaking loose woops

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
lost of really bullshit probes and bans coming from dear leader lately

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 11 days!)

SniperWoreConverse posted:

smoking the bud of the dead means you have to stay in the land of the dead forever

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fanfic insert posted:

it's alright to use cspam to vent your frustrations. lots of punching bags here, begging for a beatdown. anything to take our minds away from CLIMATE CHAGE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

silicone thrills posted:

It's literally impossible for american media to think about anything with out it being in terms of money or productivity. Absolutely impossible. You have to quantify every single disaster by how much it cost, not how many lives lost or how many were made homeless
this is why i loved uninhabitable earth, dww gets very excited when he starts yelling about the loss of hundreds of millions of billions of TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS and it's adorable

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

some people like really big numbers. unreasonably big numbers. they like to shout them

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

lollontee posted:

if you dont wanna latin up, then dont cum up ta me malaka.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

200+ posts itt and there was neither a natural disaster nor forums drama

edit: oh poo poo!

fanfic insert posted:

please, tell me more

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 09:47 on Jul 23, 2022

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Fly Molo posted:

hey thorn

sinophobic dipshit liberals gently caress off

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

el jefe is a weakass bitch lmao

e. lomarf

Jeff Fatwood has issued a correction as of 11:11 on Jul 23, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so did jeff ban arf or in his mind were all of those posts worth reading? thats so weird

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol thorn is the one with the free rime av too

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
every thread just churns out a chomo every few years its wonderful

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

this is a pro read if you want to :stare: into the near future

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Emergency action planned to save giant sequoia trees from wildfires

quote:

THE US FOREST Service is taking emergency action to save giant sequoias, speeding up projects to clear underbrush to protect the world’s largest trees from the increasing threat of wildfires.

The move to bypass some parts of an environmental review could cut years off the normal approval process required to cut smaller trees in national forests and use intentionally-lit, low-intensity fires to reduce dense brush that has helped fuel raging wildfires that have killed up to 20% of all large sequoias over the past two years.

Forest Service chief Randy Moore said: “Without urgent action, wildfires could eliminate countless more iconic giant sequoias.

“This emergency action to reduce fuels before a wildfire occurs will protect unburned giant sequoia groves from the risks of high-severity wildfires.”

The trees, the world’s largest by volume, are under threat like never before. More than a century of aggressive fire suppression has left forests choked with dense vegetation, downed logs and millions of dead trees killed by bark beetles that have fanned raging infernos intensified by drought and exacerbated by climate change.

The announcement is among a wide range of efforts under way to save the species, which is found only on the western slope of the Sierra Nevada range in central California.

Most of about 70 groves are clustered around Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks and some extend into and north of Yosemite National Park.

Sequoia National Park, which is run by the Interior Department and not subject to the emergency action, is considering a novel and controversial plan to plant sequoia seedlings where large trees have been wiped out by fire.

The Save Our Sequoias (SOS) Act, which also includes a provision to speed up environmental reviews like the Forest Service plan, was recently introduced by a bipartisan group of congressmen including House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy, whose district includes sequoias.

The group applauded Mr Moore’s announcement but said more needs to be done to make it easier to thin forests.

They said: “The Forest Service’s action today is an important step forward for giant sequoias, but without addressing other barriers to protecting these groves, this emergency will only continue.

only took 2 years to destroy up to 20% of all giant sequoias

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

quote:

Sequoia National Park, which is run by the Interior Department and not subject to the emergency action, is considering a novel and controversial plan to plant sequoia seedlings where large trees have been wiped out by fire.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The should we replant trees that burned down controversy

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

lollontee posted:

it's alright to use cspam to vent your frustrations. lots of punching bags here, begging for a beatdown. anything to take our minds away from CLIMATE CHAGE

lol sorry, didnt mean for it to be probe bait

e: eeeeh on 2nd thought

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Jul 23, 2022

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/RMGNews/status/1550761711300272128
*now estimated at 6555 acres

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

C-SPAM > Biospher collapse: So Long Sequoias

It’s nice that we have so many trucks and SUVs named after the places and things that are burning :matters:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Blackhawk posted:

I recently saw an add for this show on TV here and started hooting and hollering:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/m0010k4c/episodes

The premise of the show is people telling you products to buy to be nicer to the planet. Of course the ad I saw had people buying new electric cars, different formulations of cleaning product in the same plastic bottles as everything else, and numerous other BS greenwashed consumerist tripe.

Thanks, I hate it. Yes, we will solve the problem created by overconsumption by consuming more. I eagerly await their ethical crypto investing episode. :thermidor:

A Bakers Cousin posted:

The should we replant trees that burned down controversy

A bit like the advice to plant more trees around your house to keep it cool during heat waves. Meanwhile we're clearing 10 metre defensive zones for when the wildfire comes through. At least the balsams that were shading my house died of natural causes (worsening summer drought over the last decade) so I didn't need to feel guilty about taking a chainsaw to them.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Guys talk about climate change no intersectionality here nooooo stooooop

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I am in pretty sure the skeptical Futurama man was being skeptical about biosphere collapse so I'm very confused but at least I can take comfort in the fact that we're all going to loving die

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

again, climate change and biosphere collapse are very serious topics. that's why this thread, and no other thread in cspam, is being harassed by the owner of the site to make sure it stays on topic 100% of the time. we have to fix this problem now, and change begins here, in this thread. this is about saving the human race, people!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1550859516815761409

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Fart Dumbass posted:

again, climate change and biosphere collapse are very serious topics. that's why this thread, and no other thread in cspam, is being harassed by the owner of the site to make sure it stays on topic 100% of the time. we have to fix this problem now, and change begins here, in this thread. this is about saving the human race, people!

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

Paradoxish posted:

discussing the possibility that perhaps newer barn doors should open slightly more slowly so that hypothetical future horses (which will never exist because the climate will no longer support complex life) escape less dramatically.

woah woah woah, thats extremist doomerism

first we need to open an exploratory committee into the possibility of discussing another committee's findings when and only when they come out that the possibility that maybe the findings of another committee when and only when those come out that regarding whether perhaps newer barn doors should open slightly more slowly -- IF another committee finds those barn doors have been operating in a disadvantaged community for 30 (even numbered) years and has all requisite paperwork properly filed and notarized and submitted to a committee which looks into the merits of submitting those findings to another committee for possible access to approval-- when and only when the findings of another committee come to light regarding hypothetical future horses (which will never exist because the climate will no longer support complex life) that another exploratory committee MAY find would escape less dramatically that if another committee finds that it is even POSSIBLE that barn doors can even open more slowly EVER and is all brought to another committee to find whether all these findings merit any discussion and brought to another exploratory committee into the potential ramifications for shareholder's investments impacted by any alteration to the operation of barn doors for approval by another committee's for another committee's discussion and resultant findings to be sent to another committee for discussing POSSIBLE approval for the first exploratory committee to share their findings with us, before we can even BEGIN talking about discussing the possibility that perhaps newer barn doors should open slightly more slowly so that hypothetical future horses (which will never exist because the climate will no longer support complex life) escape less dramatically.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

as long as I’m not being asked to alter my lifestyle I believe things aren’t that bad…yet

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

THIS SECTION OF THE POST IS RESERVED FOR META COMMENTARY:

THIS SECTION OF THE POST IS RESERVED FOR ON TOPIC CLIMATE DOOMERISM:

I've made a new habit of checking the ercot and local covid dashboards every morning because it gives me a misguided felling of control over the fate of my community.

THIS SECTION OF THE POST IS RESERVED FOR TIPS AND TRICKS:

After more then a decade working in the public sector, I've learned that its important to display compliance with management directives prominently and to repeatedly point out evidence of compliance during evaluations. Nobody cares, so make the boxes as big and easy to check as possible.

Jesus Horse has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Jul 23, 2022

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
China will fix global warming against the wishes of the west.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

420 :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Covid has demonstrated that people don't understand how exponential functions work. This is definitely the advanced class.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. A little more smoke in the air won't be noticed.

Can we get carbon credits for burying stalks? I think I'm getting a glimmer of greenwashing grift here.