Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

My 10-year old 23" 1080p VGA/DVI monitor didn't sell on eBay for $12, local pickup only. I don't have room in my apartment for it, and the management is strict about inspections here. $12 was the auto-suggested price and eBay automatically re-listed it. The next inspection is around August 8, so I have until then to get rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

galenanorth posted:

My 10-year old 23" 1080p VGA/DVI monitor didn't sell on eBay for $12, local pickup only. I don't have room in my apartment for it, and the management is strict about inspections here. $12 was the auto-suggested price and eBay automatically re-listed it. The next inspection is around August 8, so I have until then to get rid of it.

That's too bad. Consider ebay charges a fee that's basically giving it away. Sometimes I get cheap old monitors on ebay or wherever to pair with computers I fix up for donation that I get from businesses or people I do work for after they upgrade. You could list it for free on craiglist or another for sale site, but use a google voice number or something so people will stop harassing you after someone gets it. You could also put it on the curb with a "works" note on it and someone may take it, or there may be an ewaste recycling in your area. I don't know why apartment management would stop you from having an extra monitor but that sounds weird.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I believe Best Buy, Staples, and Office Depot will take it as e-waste

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
bleh, as a bday present i got a really nice pair of studio headphones f or my gaming/general use rig (Philips Fidelio X2HR High Resolution, very good set of cans). this was a possibility based on the reviews, but i don't think the sound on my motherboard is pushing enough uh, power? because even at 100% i would describe this as too quiet. tolerable when listening to music, but quiet enough i can't turn footsteps up in Apex, which is no good.

i need a DAC, right? what's the cheapest way in i literally just want more volume. would one of apple's DACs do it, i have a usb c slot spare?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CoolCab posted:

i need a DAC, right? what's the cheapest way in i literally just want more volume. would one of apple's DACs do it, i have a usb c slot spare?

Yeah sounds like you might need one. I’m not 100% the Apple one would provide enough though but!! It’s cheap and you can do a return easy enough if it doesn’t work.

I’d probably start there as a low cost quick option.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CoolCab posted:

bleh, as a bday present i got a really nice pair of studio headphones f or my gaming/general use rig (Philips Fidelio X2HR High Resolution, very good set of cans). this was a possibility based on the reviews, but i don't think the sound on my motherboard is pushing enough uh, power? because even at 100% i would describe this as too quiet. tolerable when listening to music, but quiet enough i can't turn footsteps up in Apex, which is no good.

If it needs to be louder what you need is an amp. That said, it looks like they should be easy to drive so the apple dongle is worth a shot.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’m just reading from a spec sheet without having tried the headphones, but it looks like they should play well with just about any source. 30 ohms is pretty standard.

An amp will definitely fix the issue but maybe give your pc’s sound settings a once-over first just in case the issue lies elsewhere. Maybe loudness equalization or some other effect is turned on and messing with the volume.

E: not dissing the cans. Another possibility is the audio-outs on some pc cases and motherboards just really suck although I had hoped that was a fixed problem by now

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 18, 2022

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Make sure the headphones aren't plugged in to the "line out" output, or it isn't configured as such.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nvm, figured out a dumb thing. you're my bubby

Orac
May 7, 2006
I'm setting up a home office and will also want to set my gaming pc up there too. I'm going to get a 2nd monitor and want to set my work laptop up to them and pretty much not use the laptop screen. Is there a way to do this and use the monitors for my gaming pc too without having to keep switching the cables around between the two?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Orac posted:

I'm setting up a home office and will also want to set my gaming pc up there too. I'm going to get a 2nd monitor and want to set my work laptop up to them and pretty much not use the laptop screen. Is there a way to do this and use the monitors for my gaming pc too without having to keep switching the cables around between the two?

Some monitors have multiple inputs you can switch between with buttons on the monitor. That's the easiest solution. There's also HDMI switches for multiple devices to a single output and vice-versa. I usually get the bidirectional ones in case I have the opposite use case in the future. Note that there are refresh rate and res limits for a lot of these switches because they're mostly for just putting more devices into a TV. Here's an example on amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Splitter-Aluminum-Switcher-Bi-Directional-Support/dp/B09D7MRPJF/. If you want a more robust KVM for DisplayPort because you have a high refresh gaming monitor then you're talking a lot more money.

I don't know what monitor you're looking at, but the 27" 1440p monitors are pretty popular. I have a couple of 165hz ones from HP and Pixio. They both have HDMI and display port inputs and will do 165hz over DP and 144 over HDMI. In your situation I'd probably just hook up the laptop to HDMI and the PC to DP and use the monitor controls. Hit up the monitor thread for ideas if you have some specific requirements.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm noticing in Afterburner I'm getting these blips where the reported CPU temp is 0 for a second, also it's reporting the min CPU temp as -48. I haven't noticed any issues to go along with this but is this a known ignorable thing or a potential issue?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Orac posted:

I'll agree with Rexxed that KVMs tend to suck or are $$$. I ended up with a USB switcher that has a remote control and flip my keyboard, mouse, wireless headset, and web cam with. I just switch the input of my monitor between my work laptop and PC. If you have a fancy monitor that can switch the input to the monitor input that'd best but this isn't a bad way to go.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Orac posted:

I do this with some frequency, and use HDMI to connect my laptop to the monitor and displayport to connect my desktop. I can switch between inputs on the monitor. For keyboard and mouse I use Logitech wireless sets that can switch between 3 different devices with a button press, and they can connect using a proprietary Logitech Unifying USB dongle or over Bluetooth. It makes my life easier and cuts down on cabling considerably. Any additional input lag from the wireless keyboard and mouse is imperceptible to me, as far as I can tell.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Orac posted:

I've actually got a home PC/work laptop setup myself connected to two monitors:

Connections are as follows:

anakha posted:

My current work laptop has two type-C Thunderbolt 4 ports and one HDMI port while my personal tower has a DP and two HDMI ports.

My primary monitor has a DP and HDMI port while the secondary vertical monitor has two HDMI ports.

• Tower to primary monitor via DP cable
  • Tower to secondary monitor via HDMI cable
  • Laptop to primary monitor via HDMI cable
  • Laptop to secondary monitor via a Type-C to HDMI cable utilizing the TB4 port (which should also work for your TB3 port)

I use a USB switcher linking my mouse/keyboard/webcam with both the laptop and PC coupled with an app to switch the monitors between both machines. One press of the button on the USB switcher, and the monitors will display from the machine the peripherals are now connected to.

anakha posted:

I was initially resigned to spending on an expensive KVM switch, but a friend alerted me to this awesome little utility that uses your peripherals' USB connection to trigger a switch in the monitors' active ports.

quote:

usb_device = "2516:013F"

[monitor1]
monitor_id = "hp"
on_usb_connect = "Hdmi1"
on_usb_disconnect = "DisplayPort1"

[monitor2]
monitor_id = "benq"
on_usb_connect = "Hdmi2"
on_usb_disconnect = "Vga1"

One $20 USB switch later, and I was in business.

Orac
May 7, 2006
Thanks for the answers! I think I will use the pci port for the pc and hdmi for laptop as suggested assuming it can switch between the imputs, I'll check when I get back home. I have this monitor and was planning to buy something similar but maybe cheaper as a secondary.

I already use a wireless mouse and keyboard so guess I can use a USB dongle or get a USB switcher for that.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Another option is software switching. ControlMyMonitor can probably switch the inputs on that monitor.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Indiana_Krom posted:

Make sure the headphones aren't plugged in to the "line out" output, or it isn't configured as such.

uh, i don't think they are?

which one do i wanna put it in then

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Are you plugging your headphones into the front case or rear panel I/O?

It's possible your rear panel I/O doesn't have a headphones amp and is only for powered speakers.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

grack posted:

Are you plugging your headphones into the front case or rear panel I/O?

It's possible your rear panel I/O doesn't have a headphones amp and is only for powered speakers.

no, i'm currently plugged into the pink hole. i don't usually use front panel audio

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

CoolCab posted:

no, i'm currently plugged into the pink hole. i don't usually use front panel audio

You may want to try your front panel port. I would be curious how they sound with your phone or similar too. If you don’t have any luck a USB audio interface or headphone amp would be the next thing.

Parts Express has a few cheaper options: https://www.parts-express.com/home-a-v/headphones-accessories/headphone-amplifiers

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Fruits of the sea posted:

An amp will definitely fix the issue but maybe give your pc’s sound settings a once-over first just in case the issue lies elsewhere. Maybe loudness equalization or some other effect is turned on and messing with the volume.

i thought it was in the pink hole, it was not in the pink hole. it was in the rear speaker hole, which apparently can't drive these speakers. fixed! :)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think Grack and Indiana deserve the credit for this one but glad to hear your problems are sorted!

Someone please make a joke about putting it on the wrong hole, I'm close to a heatsroke and can't think straight enough to do it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
My lovely free Cooler Master headset I got with my keyboard died, what is the least worse wired USB headset for gaming/discord/shameful anime on Netflix watching?

Want to avoid stupidly large/heavy and RGB lights etc, but would like decent ear comfort

It being wired should take care of the budget as all the crazy expensive ones are wireless..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Price range?

I’d just go with either of these.

The Razed ones from the warehouse are a pretty good deal at $44.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 22, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i had a Logitech G430 which looked an awful lot like that one and it was literally the only pair of headphones i have ever returned. the ear cups are square for some reason and as such extremely awkward with glasses and my subjective opinion of the cans was they were considerably worse than super cheap wired pairs i got in the £10-20 range from no name brands. just sounded insanely tinny. mic was OK but wasn't worth the rest, oh and on top of being uncomfortable i found them VERY hot.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Whoever told you not to kink shame had a shameful kink.
I guess this is where this question goes, but, is there no general thread for everything linux? There's a linux questions thread, but, I am talking something more akin to the microsoft windows thread but for Linux talk and conversation. Probably about different Operating systems and utilities and what have you. I didn't see one. Am I missing something?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gainax posted:

I guess this is where this question goes, but, is there no general thread for everything linux? There's a linux questions thread, but, I am talking something more akin to the microsoft windows thread but for Linux talk and conversation. Probably about different Operating systems and utilities and what have you. I didn't see one. Am I missing something?

The Linux Questions thread kind of serves this purpose, and is generally pretty friendly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have an 8bitdo controller that occasionally does not "wake up" properly, as in I have to unplug-and-replug it into the USB port for it to activate properly

1. could this be considered a defect of the product? I've never thought of it that way before but as I'm composing this post I realize, well, it's not like I've ever had to do that with any other of my USB peripherals, like a webcam or a mic or a keyboard or a mouse, that I can leave plugged-in all the time

2. setting aside #1, because of the way my desk is arranged, it's somewhat inconvenient for me to have to do this. Is there a way I can try and trigger this behavior from a software level? Disable the USB port and re-enable it? I don't know if that's even the right term or if that's possible

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Have you tried a firmware update? I would start there if not.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
My USB microphone does not work from bootup and have to be replugged. Who's to say if it's a defect, bad firmware, driver issue, or just Windows sucking. My solution for this has been to plug it into my monitor, turn off USB power when the monitor is off in the settings and hitting the power button on the monitor twice.

I went looking for updated drivers and found a firmware update to fix this.

As for your problem you could check Device Manager to see if it's as simple as disabling and enabling your controller, or an USB controller.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have a 2 year old Asus gaming laptop with a GTX 2060 in it, and I've been getting driver resets and related (tdr failure) constantly even during the windows set up after doing a complete wipe and reinstall from the Asus recovery . I could get around it by disabling the GPU in the device manager, but that's not great since doing so defaults to it running full 45W tilt which is a no go when it comes to heat and battery. Are there any other things I can try or am I just hosed and should see if Linux will treat me better?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Do you have the Armory Crate app installed and is it fully up to date? Same with MyASUS. Those two handle the iGPU/dGPU handoff along with a lot of other power and device management stuff

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yes, it happened when that was all installed too

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Been having this issue where my pc will occasionally just freeze if I leave it running idle. If I come back and hit a key or move the mouse, the monitors will wake up, but I can’t interact with anything at all. I’ll end up having to force shutdown because I can’t ctrl-alt-delete to restart or anything. Initially I thought it was discord causing problems after searching online seemed to come up with multiple people having had this issue with discord, but even if I close discord before letting my pc idle, it still happens. Haven’t found anything that seems to trigger the problem to occur as there are other times that the computer won’t freeze despite being left alone all day. Anyone run into something similar before?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Whats your operating system, and is the symtom that you can't click into windows specifically?

like your mouse moves, but you just can't seem to interact or have the mouse clicks register?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Oh, sorry, I use Windows 10. So sometimes the mouse will move but I can’t interact with anything when I click on it. Other times the mouse won’t move at all and the whole computer is just frozen. It’s odd because the monitors will turn back on when I use the mouse, but literally nothing else works. It’s the most bizarre issue I’ve encountered.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Windows 10 has an annoying bug with my Surface where it will do what you describe, only it's not actually frozen. The monitors wake up and the lock screen shows ( with accurate time that updates), but nothing I can do will make the lock screen go away. You can click or type whatever and nothing. After a minute or two it will finally work and unlock/ allow me to log in.

Might not be the same bug you are experiencing.. when it happens to me the mouse always works to move it around, it's just clicking does nothing.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I have a 2 year old Asus gaming laptop with a GTX 2060 in it, and I've been getting driver resets and related (tdr failure) constantly even during the windows set up after doing a complete wipe and reinstall from the Asus recovery . I could get around it by disabling the GPU in the device manager, but that's not great since doing so defaults to it running full 45W tilt which is a no go when it comes to heat and battery. Are there any other things I can try or am I just hosed and should see if Linux will treat me better?

Ok so it does seem like it happens mostly when the GPU is running full tilt. Issue is, is that it for some reason is *running* it during things like Windows installs and initial start up and in the bios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ok so it does seem like it happens mostly when the GPU is running full tilt. Issue is, is that it for some reason is *running* it during things like Windows installs and initial start up and in the bios.

This sounds like a hardware issue and I doubt that going to linux will fix it. Just to confirm, how are you aware of whether your GPU is running full tilt during windows installs where you couldn't possibly be seeing an application window?

If you're under warranty I would try to get it RMA'd but be aware - it's a loving horrible process with ASUS. I have probably told this story here before but I naively sent back an Asus laptop for RMA here in Canada (RMA center in Ontario) without wiping/locking windows, for a fan bearing that was shot. This was pretty dumb in retrospect but I didn't think they'd be going into it for a fan bearing and I also figured they didn't hire pieces of poo poo. So while my laptop was over there someone booted it, saw it was unlocked, signed into my email, tried to change the password, gained access to a ton of my online accounts, tried to gain access to my bank via password resets, etc etc. This was 10 years ago or more and I don't remember every little thing but it was a massive headache. I use 2fa on pretty much anything important so that was helpful but there was a huge amount of compromise and I still probably don't know what else they may have done (like scraped my entire email inbox or something).

I contacted ASUS and they basically blew me off. I contacted them again through head office etc and was told they would get back to me (they didn't). They never did acknowledge this happened despite me having evidence from the Ontario IP of them accessing my poo poo in a few places. I had to send that laptop back a further 2 times for GPU issues so I've pretty much at this point decided not to ever buy an ASUS product again.