Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
CDDA reading and dynamic traits are precisely the kind of mods I've been looking for. I generally play with the settings set to a more chill pace and grinding mechanics is my own personal hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

I am very happy they added playable VHS tapes, though I'd like it if the skill ones dropped a bit more often. As it is, I don't really like the strategy of, "make sure you're back for your TV shows" gameplay of the first few weeks, but the exp gain from watching TV is just so good.

Yeah, on my current SP play through I'm just ignoring the TV during the first week. I'll find tapes later if I really want/need them, I hate being tied to a house on those first few days when I'd rather be getting my kit together.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly, as much as the mechanic is novel, I don't like the skill learning broadcasts in Project Zomboid. It's not something you'll necessarily know about if you don't look it up, and most people's first instinct isn't to sit down and watch tv as soon as they start the game. The rigid broadcast schedule means that for as long as the new broadcasts last, you're disincentivized to go on longer trips or get into adventures, knowing you have to be back home and awake at x time. It regulates that early sense of wide-eyed exploration most other survival games try to instill. And though some part of me wants to say OK, just don't watch them then, you obviously don't have to min-max your survivor... the broadcast buffs are so strong and to skills so important and hard to level up using any other method that it feels like it goes way beyond min-maxing and more into the realm of nearly being necessary if you want any skill progress early on.
Feeling obligated to return home and catch my show is not a compelling start to the game, at least to me.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
dynamic traits mod: where everything makes you wet, and every time you’re wet, you contract a cold, and when you have a cold, you sneeze so hard that you die

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tweak posted:

Only recently did I see some of the VHS tapes I was ignoring had names that seemed like training videos, guess I need to move a TV into my safe house (or upgrade to a better safe house)

There's a mod in the Steam workshop that helpfully labels VHS tapes with any skills that they train. There are some obscure Home VHS tapes that train stuff!

Flavor: there's a horror movie that gives you a little bit of short blade training and also makes you panicked

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't mind the TV stuff too much, I usually start in Rosewood due to the easy fire axe access and even the non residential buildings usually have a break room with a TV somewhere. I imagine other towns might not be the same, but at least in Rosewood it's not too bad.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly, as much as the mechanic is novel, I don't like the skill learning broadcasts in Project Zomboid. It's not something you'll necessarily know about if you don't look it up, and most people's first instinct isn't to sit down and watch tv as soon as they start the game. The rigid broadcast schedule means that for as long as the new broadcasts last, you're disincentivized to go on longer trips or get into adventures, knowing you have to be back home and awake at x time. It regulates that early sense of wide-eyed exploration most other survival games try to instill. And though some part of me wants to say OK, just don't watch them then, you obviously don't have to min-max your survivor... the broadcast buffs are so strong and to skills so important and hard to level up using any other method that it feels like it goes way beyond min-maxing and more into the realm of nearly being necessary if you want any skill progress early on.
Feeling obligated to return home and catch my show is not a compelling start to the game, at least to me.

VHS tapes basically solved this problem, all of the TV shows are on tapes and there are a bunch of skill tapes that aren't broadcasted at all. Since the XP from shows is amplified by the learning bonus from books, now a min-maxer is incentivized to not watch TV shows early on

I still watch some shows during those early days anyway because televisions are everywhere, but I don't mind missing them either

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 21, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I dunno, that ignores opportunity cost and not having those skills early. Like sure, I may eventually find multiple carpentry and other VHS tapes, somewhere. But then I won't have those skills early on, and the TV just dumps a bunch on you all at once.
Not taking them is handicapping yourself, so every run I do tends to start very similarly in terms of schedule and structure.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I dunno, that ignores opportunity cost and not having those skills early. Like sure, I may eventually find multiple carpentry and other VHS tapes, somewhere. But then I won't have those skills early on, and the TV just dumps a bunch on you all at once.
Not taking them is handicapping yourself, so every run I do tends to start very similarly in terms of schedule and structure.

"Handicapping" is a little extreme. The only skills you really need early on are

1. Mechanics 2 - you can't learn this from TV broadcasts
2. Electrical 1 - ditto
3. Carpentry 6, so you can build stairs. 7 if you want to make the better rain barrels

Woodcraft broadcasts are awesome, especially if you've read a carpentry book. I always try to get a starting point in carpentry because of how important it is. Woodcraft airs like clockwork; around 11am I make my way toward a nearby house with a TV in it so that I can catch Woodcraft at noon. But if I miss one of the broadcasts I'm really not broken up about it because 1) there's a VHS store in every town that'll be full of tapes that teach carpentry and 2) training carpentry is also super easy so long as you have the relevant skill book; go to any church, courthouse, or school cafeteria and go nuts.

The other skills that you can learn from TV are:
Cooking - not essential. Being able to use rotten ingredients to is cool but adds very little nutritional value and isn't something that you need early on anyway
Farming - not essential. This doesn't harvest more food or help crops grow faster, you just get more information when you look at crops. You can grow and harvest a limitless amount of food with 0 points in farming
Fishing - not essential. You can grow such insane amounts of food that honestly you don't even need this skill
Trapping - not essential. See fishing
Foraging - This is secretly one of the strongest skills in the game if you specialize in it, and it levels pretty quickly. That said, it's not essential. There are only 2 broadcasts that give you points here; if you watch both you save about 5 minutes of grinding.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I appreciate you trying to convince me they're not mandatory but I still think it's a loving stupid system that inhibits player freedom early on.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hey, carpentry 7 is also important for the better looking walls too :lofty:

And they have more hp I guess but ehh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Danaru posted:

They also changed how crate capacity works a couple of months ago - when you build a crate, having more points in carpentry will add a little more capacity. Not what I'd call essential but pretty cool anyway

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Danaru posted:

Yeah, this is also important - I hate those rickety early walls! :D I think you can upgrade existing lovely walls to the pretty L3 walls though, for the low low price of an extra plank. (Pretty sure, anyway? It used to be like that)

Either way, when I last played it was definitely a bit of a pain, having to make sure to watch those carpentry shows early on. It's not too bad though, since you don't really need to travel far to get the basics to be able to survive the first few days. Just scavenge a little bit, read books, watch the news to see how bad things are (in between my woodwork stories) and then once confident, barricade the place and go out to explore!
That being said though, it's definitely better now that there are apparently Blockbusters around the place - that's cool! I'm gonna start playing again with a friend on the weekend, so we'll check it out. Seems like I'm gonna be the handyman and he's gonna be the shooter.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Y’all are making me want to play again, but my restarts were always in MP with no sleep and it makes single player way worse in “feel” once you get used to being able to do things all the time.

Anyone have suggestions for tuning something maybe slightly easier the stock for this? I’m absolutely sure I could feel the settings out myself, but I’m curious if anyone has a strong opinion about some settings to give you a little buff. I feel like maybe what I want is to keep sleep, but maybe just make it take a little longer to get exhausted?

I could just play multiplayer with some buddies but there’s something to be said for the weird single player vibes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Take the wakeful trait, for 2 points you have 30% less need for sleep.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Y’all are making me want to play again, but my restarts were always in MP with no sleep and it makes single player way worse in “feel” once you get used to being able to do things all the time.

Anyone have suggestions for tuning something maybe slightly easier the stock for this? I’m absolutely sure I could feel the settings out myself, but I’m curious if anyone has a strong opinion about some settings to give you a little buff. I feel like maybe what I want is to keep sleep, but maybe just make it take a little longer to get exhausted?

I could just play multiplayer with some buddies but there’s something to be said for the weird single player vibes.

Whenever I'm feeling like I want something a little easier, I change the "Free trait points" stat in Custom Scenario, anywhere from 10-20. I tried 40 once, it was laughable.

Ten extra free points allows you to take things like cat eyes, wakeful, or fast reader without sacrificing the more "necessary" traits.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Organized is insane in ways that I didn't used to understand, it boosts the capacity of all containers and that includes your backpack so it's a big boost in your carrying capacity

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

QuarkJets posted:

Organized is insane in ways that I didn't used to understand, it boosts the capacity of all containers and that includes your backpack so it's a big boost in your carrying capacity

Custom perk: cargo pants

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
idgi if there are VHS tapes, can you not tape your favorite shows?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sadly no survivor has yet found a skill book to teach them the esoteric knowledge needed to program a VCR to record at set times. :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

idgi if there are VHS tapes, can you not tape your favorite shows?

You can't tape them yourself, but there are pre-recorded tapes of the broadcast episodes just laying around in houses and in the VHS store in each town. Post offices can have them too. And there are tapes for skills that you couldn't train by just watch broadcast TV before, such as Mechanics. The drops are all random of course, so it can still be good to try and catch episodes of Woodcraft

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Randomly entered a barricaded house and then I find my first loving katana sitting inside a cupboard. :getin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Katana? pshaw. The only steel I need is my trusty crowbar.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I just died cause I jumped from the 3rd floor BUT I WAS RIGHT THERE BESIDE THE ROPE WHAT THE gently caress

(i'm playing on pad)

Will probably stop for a while

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 22, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
changing z-levels by climbing has always been a bit jank, yeah

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Big Scary Owl posted:

Randomly entered a barricaded house and then I find my first loving katana sitting inside a cupboard. :getin:

Big Scary Owl posted:

I just died cause I jumped from the 3rd floor BUT I WAS RIGHT THERE BESIDE THE ROPE WHAT THE gently caress

(i'm playing on pad)

Will probably stop for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYmp7JXsyGU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Boy, the machete really changes things, doesn't it.

edit: doesn't protect your bare feet from broken glass and deep wounds though. drat it.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 22, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Jason Voorhees didn't care about glass in his feet, you fuckin wuss, you have to EARN the Machete

But like also Jason wore boots, and so should you

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Then you realize the glass is actually candy mmm

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Danaru posted:

Jason Voorhees didn't care about glass in his feet, you fuckin wuss, you have to EARN the Machete

But like also Jason wore boots, and so should you

Yeah, and I had to specifically remove them for it to happen. It was a series of events that involved tainted water, the helicopter, and hubris.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

BrianRx posted:

Yeah, and I had to specifically remove them for it to happen. It was a series of events that involved tainted water, the helicopter, and hubris.

Oof

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i was very confused when stomping heads the other day when I was getting mild foot pain and the stomps took forever to work. Turns out my boots disintegrated from repeated stomps, but luckily there was plenty of replacement shoes in the corpse pile.

That is a helluva couple sentences without context

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

truther posted:

Is Empyrion worth going solo? With mixed recent reviews, I'm not sure about this game..
Reforged Eden, a combination of Reforged Galaxy and Project Eden, offers a good game experience for a solo playthrough. Plenty of pois and special planets to explore and roam around on and whatnot. Vanilla maybe not as much.

HWS+, which I was talking about earlier if you happen to look that up, was not ready to be released in any capacity. To put it kind of nicely. Was a real let down, but the person making that is actually working on it again so maybe in another 6 months or so it'll be in a playable state more interesting than vanilla. Assuming there's actually content hidden behind the gates, it seems to mostly balance and game flow issues rather than content bugs per se. So, in theory, it wouldn't take forever from someone with their head out of their butt about how the game actually functions and at least the lightest amount of playtesting possible.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

i was very confused when stomping heads the other day when I was getting mild foot pain and the stomps took forever to work. Turns out my boots disintegrated from repeated stomps, but luckily there was plenty of replacement shoes in the corpse pile.

That is a helluva couple sentences without context

lmao

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
First person zomboid?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1857950/VEIN/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xe52wqKYZU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Is there a survival game without farming/sustainable production? I really like the scavenging/hunting/gathering aspect of survival games but lose interest as soon as farming gets into it. I'm not really a fan of base defense, which is really the only threat once you've got an endless supply of food and water. Would love a game where you're just endlessly scavenging and the devs have built it that way so it's fun (it wouldn't be fun in a lot of games to just ignore farming because they're not built for that).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phigs posted:

Is there a survival game without farming/sustainable production? I really like the scavenging/hunting/gathering aspect of survival games but lose interest as soon as farming gets into it. I'm not really a fan of base defense, which is really the only threat once you've got an endless supply of food and water. Would love a game where you're just endlessly scavenging and the devs have built it that way so it's fun (it wouldn't be fun in a lot of games to just ignore farming because they're not built for that).

The Long Dark is very scavenging focused; your food is going to be found rummaging through abandoned houses (which is an exhaustible resource), or through hunting/fishing. The whole premise of the game is about being in the Canadian wilderness during a deep freeze so any form of farming is completely impossible.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Phigs posted:

You can definitely play 7 Days to Die without a base and have a decent to good time going through the POIs and trying not to die during horde night if you're not riding around on a bi/motorcycle. Ammo might be a bit riskier if you commit to having no base structures or doing mining at all, but this can be played around. I'm actually not sure if I've ever really farmed in 7 Days ever. I don't think so.

You can definitely grind progression down over time if you respawn, but getting to the top tier of stuff or some high level without dying if you play it permadeath is a challenge. It also supports making zombies always sprint regardless of day/night time and some other things that greatly increase the difficulty without making them bullet sponges or one shot you. There's definite challenge runs type potential in it.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 24, 2022

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Phigs posted:

Neo Scavenger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Suzera posted:

You can definitely play 7 Days to Die without a base and have a decent to good time going through the POIs and trying not to die during horde night if you're not riding around on a bi/motorcycle. Ammo might be a bit riskier if you commit to having no base structures or doing mining at all, but this can be played around. I'm actually not sure if I've ever really farmed in 7 Days ever. I don't think so.

You can definitely grind progression down over time if you respawn, but getting to the top tier of stuff or some high level without dying if you play it permadeath is a challenge. It also supports making zombies always sprint regardless of day/night time and some other things that greatly increase the difficulty without making them bullet sponges or one shot you. There's definite challenge runs type potential in it.

7 days to die is an interesting one because I was actually thinking of it when I made the post. I love the looting POIs part of the game but it tends to be less and less important as you go. It's a little too easy to get to the point where you've got a big stockpile of food and water even without farming. It's designed around the horde night survival more than it is about scavenging for survival so I feel like if I just turned loot down I'd start to get annoyed at how it slowed down my ability to survive the other systems. I'd love a game where you find a small stash of canned goods and are super excited about it, and for the game to be built around that being the core thing you're about.

Neo Scavenger looks a bit full on for my mood atm but I'll keep it in mind. I'll give Long Dark a try I guess. I thought it was just hunting/gathering but if it's got scavenging too that might be my jam.