Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm more than happy to throw away appeals to some kind of historical origin of flavor, it only strengthens my point. If you don't think america is a western country that's fine too. they still have cinnamon there. And that's what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I dunno what you guys are arguing about like I dunno what it matters if cinnamon is a western spice or not it seems super unimportant but I just wanna say there's a bakery about a block from me that makes really good cinnamon rolls. They seem to be popular and not just with me and other white dudes?

They do pretzels too and they're real, they're not pretzel shaped normal bread. That bakery is a treasure.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
just being real here people including me are making fun of you because in the nicest terms you're being a pedant and kind of lovely like it's cool but just speaking for myself not really sure who you're talking to

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
oranges also originally came from uhh Siberia so you Floridian deluded idiots can listen to this explanation of how much smarter i am than you, 1/?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I am not the pedant. Saying "well technically cinnamon cannot be a western flavor because X Y Z" is the bizarrely hyperfocused pedantry.

I am defending myself against pedantry. I am using a casual and well communicated meaning of flavor, and they are the ones with excessive concern for minor details and rules.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

cinnamon hoteps, what will they think of next

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Western society is decadent and therefore invented churros ipso facto

bam tell ur mom i said hi (i colonized her and she made them for me)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Churros are chinese

The Portuguese sailed for the Orient and as they returned from Ming-dynasty China to Portugal, they brought along with them new culinary techniques, including altering dough for youtiao, also known as yóuzháguǐ in southern China which bears a resemblance to the churro. The new pastry was soon introduced to Spain, where it was modified to have the dough extruded through a star-shaped nozzle rather than pulled.[5]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Antonymous posted:

Churros are chinese

China is famously Asian

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

China is famously Asian

I see you finally read my posts carefully

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Antonymous posted:

I see you finally read my posts carefully

God drat lmao

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
im not convinced you can read a line much less between them

Buddha on the road

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. You may think I'm having a psychotic break but I am, in fact, owning and making fun of you

1.b

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Antonymous is correct in that cinnamon is a western flavour (I guess, don't ask me about all the Euro meme countries), which of course doesn't preclude it from being an Indian flavour, but crikey dick those d&d rule looking posts.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The real cinnamon challenge is to read the last several pages of this thread.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I thought Antinymous was referring to Chinese people considering cinnamon-heavy sweet dishes/confections specifically as western, which doesn’t sound at all how it is used in Indian cooking, so arguing whether cinnamon outside that particular context is “western” would be beside the point. but I seem to have lost the plot over the last couple dozen posts and have no idea why anyone is mad

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mantis42 posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

China eats a lot of garlic

https://www.fruitnet.com/fresh-produce-journal/world-garlic-market-set-for-steady-growth/175368.article posted:

As well as coming out on top for garlic consumption, China also has the highest per capita consumption of the allium, at 14.3 kg per person. It was followed by the Republic of Korea (6.2 kg/person), Bangladesh (2.6 kg/person), Russia (2.2 kg/year), Indonesia (1.8 kg/person), Brazil (1.5 kg/person) and India (1.1 kg/person).

what’s the deal with Bulgaria

quote:

The countries with the highest levels of pepper per capita consumption in 2018 were Bulgaria (7,641 kg per 1000 persons), Singapore (5,288 kg per 1000 persons) and Viet Nam (1,724 kg per 1000 persons).

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
came for Tiananmen, stayed for Cinnamon

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

China eats a lot of garlic

what’s the deal with Bulgaria

Conservatism apparently.

https://merosconsulting.com/bulgarias-spice-trade-slowly-opening-new-flavors/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember how England conquered half the world for spices and then decided they didn't want any

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

In Darkest Dungeon voice

Antonymous posted:

unfounded. unhealthy

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
What in the everloving gently caress is going on here.

Goons talking about food smdh

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
every time i eat cinammon im gonna remember reading whatever the gently caress this was

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mantis42 posted:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Up to this day I thought cinnamon was an OK spice but after this thread I can't stand it anymore. Once again China was correct all along

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

runaway pancake posted:

Antonymous bravely standing before a column of tankies, blocking them for several pages

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Megamissen posted:

Antonymous bravely standing before a column of tankies, blocking them for several pages

The cinnamon square's massacre

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
remember cinnamon square crunch, when one brave man stood in front of a line of flavor blasters ready to crush him under a taste sensation

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's clear there's enough content for a dedicated cinnamon thread. The origin and demographic data should be in the op

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh cool, a 100 new posts in the asia thread

:yikes:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Let's argue about potatoes next.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I put cinnamon on my cheerios

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

runaway pancake posted:

Nothing happened on page 2113

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I burst out laughing but it's 4am and I was in bed and my girlfriend got mad so I'm standing naked in the living room laughing at cinnamon debates well done night crew

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Let's argue about potatoes next.

potatoes rank the highest on the satiety index and today on facebook I saw a video for "devilled potatoes" which was just devilled eggs but with potatoes instead of eggs and I'm gonna make it.

I am pro potato

ok, your move.

edit:
look at that poo poo it's not even close

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
PREBIBLICAL SPICE
DUNE
HOUSE ATREIDES

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

i wish jeff read this thread

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

BrainDance posted:

potatoes rank the highest on the satiety index and today on facebook I saw a video for "devilled potatoes" which was just devilled eggs but with potatoes instead of eggs and I'm gonna make it.

I am pro potato

ok, your move.

edit:
look at that poo poo it's not even close

How am I supposed to argue with truth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember how England conquered half the world for spices and then decided they didn't want any

Lmao rip