Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Oh, I've seen this. She suddenly wakes up and swallows him whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Once we had a paper aeroplane contest and the winner was the kid who took all the rest of the plasticine and made a rock out of it and his sheet of A4 paper.

My high school physics class had an assignment once where we had to drop an egg from the top of the bleachers without cracking it. I just could not get it to work right at all with the suggested tools so I just gave up and duct taped it to a pillow, deliberately throwing it down as fast as I could. The concept was surprisingly solid, although I would have done better if I had been able to find a smaller pillow.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

~Coxy posted:

Once we had a paper aeroplane contest and the winner was the kid who took all the rest of the plasticine and made a rock out of it and his sheet of A4 paper.

Did his dad work on the F-4 for McDonnell-Douglas?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 27, 1991)

As much as I love C&H, it always bothers me that Susie Derkins has almost no imagination. There’s one tea party when she swipes Hobbes plus the soap strips, but otherwise she’s a dull stick in the mud. She should have had at least a suggestion that she can be as weird or creative as Calvin.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I feel like every school had a variant of this kid. In my class, he wrapped the paper around a golfball.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

don Jaime posted:

As much as I love C&H, it always bothers me that Susie Derkins has almost no imagination. There’s one tea party when she swipes Hobbes plus the soap strips, but otherwise she’s a dull stick in the mud. She should have had at least a suggestion that she can be as weird or creative as Calvin.

Seeing as the comic is mostly told from Calvin's POV, I doubt he'd ever see an icky girl as weird or creative. He's usually pretty nasty to her. So we don't really get to see her with her own Hobbes, etc. She's a girl doing boring dumb girl things.

I still hate the babysitter though. At least don't spend the night talking to your boyfriend, watch a drat movie or play with the kid, then do homework once he's gone to bed!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

maltesh posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure the Dodos had a second chick the last time we got updates on them... The first one went off to join the Murderous Martian Mermaids, so he's probably fine.

I mean, I wouldn't wanna talk about this stuff to the people who randomly adopted me after terraforming my rear end.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Good Listener posted:

I mean, I wouldn't wanna talk about this stuff to the people who randomly adopted me after terraforming my rear end.

but mars seems to love talking to them!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Now that I'm looking at this again, in the first (or second?) strip the blue dodo said they couldn't see the other one because she was the camera. I guess you could assume that the final panel in this one is not the view they're seeing at the computer, but for the benefit of the reader, except if that's the case why is the dodo facing completely backwards from the camera?

Kennel posted:

Dustin

How lovely lawyer you have to be to have a way below average income?

I'm guessing the majority of Ed's work is as a public defender, which would explain his disdain for his clients (they're not the ones paying him) and why he would have below average income (public defender work pays way less). It would also make sense since he's an rear end in a top hat and a lovely lawyer (public defender work usually doesn't attract good lawyers, because good lawyers can get better paying clients).

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I hate this I hate this I hate this I hate this I hate this gently caress you Batuik gently caress you.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Cowslips Warren posted:

Seeing as the comic is mostly told from Calvin's POV, I doubt he'd ever see an icky girl as weird or creative. He's usually pretty nasty to her. So we don't really get to see her with her own Hobbes, etc. She's a girl doing boring dumb girl things.

I still hate the babysitter though. At least don't spend the night talking to your boyfriend, watch a drat movie or play with the kid, then do homework once he's gone to bed!

Contrasting Calvin's internal zaniness with all the adults around him is most of the strip, but it's worth noting that the one time Rosalyn actually stepped into his world and earnestly played a game of Calvinball, she not only had fun, she got one over on him in a way he was entirely happy to accept. (This was also the final Rosalyn arc of the entire strip, and I think Watterson knew it would be when he wrote it.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm guessing the majority of Ed's work is as a public defender, which would explain his disdain for his clients (they're not the ones paying him) and why he would have below average income (public defender work pays way less). It would also make sense since he's an rear end in a top hat and a lovely lawyer (public defender work usually doesn't attract good lawyers, because good lawyers can get better paying clients).

And the people who become public defenders because they genuinely want to help people and be force for good in the world? There are some who stick with it, but a lot more get burned out quickly as the system grinds their idealism down to a nub.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's very charitable of you. My assumption was that Ed considers his income to be way below average because it's "being wasted on feeding and housing his terrible Millennial son."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He pays the radio station a fortune for his wife's slot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Interesting game that Moy is playing, making us root for the domestic abuse counselor who dates his own patients and the Weston to get back together since they only deserve each other

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I won't be here tomorrow, so here's Into Ilves:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The First Strip Makes Me Miss Pants Donkey

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Sep 1, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 28-29, 1991)

Big Nate

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Modesty Blaise: The Head Girls

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (June 22-24, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (September 8-10, 1919)

Dok's "Stick Out Your Can, Here Comes The Garbage Man" Duck (April 8, 1914)

Little Lefty (January 25-27, 1937)

Blondie From Zero (July 11-13, 1932)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i love boarding house and the duck because sometimes they make me say out loud "who the gently caress actually talked like this????"

e: frame up a nice smack of lemonade. seriously

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 23, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cowslips Warren posted:

There's a handful of strips that start with Susie and Calvin playing together (the ones that start in a soap opera strip style), and it is always broken by Calvin getting bored and throwing a tantrum or stripping down to play Tarzan or something.

The bigger problem with Susie is that Calvin seems to be her only friend (and they do seem to be friends in several strips - there's a strip where Calvin's forced outside and he goes over to Susie's to watch TV, she's the only other kid Calvin is shown playing with, etc), to the point where she comes off as desperately lonely.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Aaaaah hahahahahahahahaha I took a sneak peak on today’s Funky Winkerbean and this thread will be some good content once y’all see it.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Fie on you, Jack, I ain't ever readin' that poo poo again!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Flyin' Jenny, The Shadow, and Dinky still being astonishingly racist, gently caress Mar 20-22, 1941

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, I guess I have to then:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

“It’s nice to see you” is a weird way for your secretary to greet you, I feel.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 15, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Got time to post these after all.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

In her last appearance she actually plays Calvinball with him.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Boy did THIS age differently...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

Pondus

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sundae posted:

I feel like every school had a variant of this kid. In my class, he wrapped the paper around a golfball.

But a golfball isn't a paper aeroplane material! He's breaking the rules!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

:golfclap:

Vintage Valiant (May 25, 1952)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True July 1, 1919

And He Died! July 14, 1919

Cat Tales June 15, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 9, 1936

Mopsy February 18, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out June 27, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems August 29, 1952

Those Were the Days July 13, 1961

Wee Pals September 1, 1966

Dogbert June 26, 1967

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

And he died, lol.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
But now - COW!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

Would be real nice if this comic wasn't still apt.