Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
Majestic.

Also, stop, you're both making me want to get a cat wheel and I just know my cat would never use it out of spite because it's expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wheel recommendation please.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

VelociBacon posted:

Wheel recommendation please.

This is what our girls use: https://onefastcat.com/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dienes posted:

This is what our girls use: https://onefastcat.com/

Is this generally regarded as the go-to? Looks great.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Jayne Doe posted:

Majestic.

Also, stop, you're both making me want to get a cat wheel and I just know my cat would never use it out of spite because it's expensive.

God same but here I am thinking about buying a $250 wheel for my ungrateful cat children

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

God same but here I am thinking about buying a $250 wheel for my ungrateful cat children

Ugh the shipping to Canada though.

e: lots of them actually for sale in my area unused or barely used. Anyone know how much better the newest (5th) generation is over the previous ones?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 21, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

Lmao yikes

I can still remember the smell! Different to a normal cat poo smell. We were told to put him in a room and I stupidly put him in our bedroom. He walked around and sat on a lot of stuff, leaving brown smears. Every time he poo'd (he pood a lot!) there would be more brown stains. So we locked him in a bathroom instead, and gave him a shower once my wife got home.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Hawkperson posted:

Also same. I think Lena would probably use it once she figures things out but Katya would just drape himself over it or be a jerk and try to get Leenie off it for no reasons.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

Milly shoots out of the litter robot like a cannonball and completely misses the large mat.

Hyperlynx posted:

*hollow laughter*

A stately tux :hmmyes:

drunken officeparty posted:

A big hard plastic crate meant for small to medium dogs is still a struggle but it’s easier with the wide opening and it won’t keep folding in on itself as you wrestle around.

Get one where the whole thing separates into a top and bottom half with snaps or screws. When ready to crate your cat, just open the whole thing, put them down in the bottom half and put the top on as you slide your hand out. You couldn't pay me to try shoving an unwilling cat through a carrier opening :emo:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does anyone have advice for clicker training our cat? We've been teaching her to use her scratching post by clicking and treating her when she uses it, but now she will just give it a tiny scratch and expect a treat.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone have advice for clicker training our cat? We've been teaching her to use her scratching post by clicking and treating her when she uses it, but now she will just give it a tiny scratch and expect a treat.
I have no advice but this is hilarious.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly, this has been my experience as well, lol. I didn't use a clicker but trained Katya to sit up and give high-fives, which she picked up really up fast.
The main difference between training dogs and cats is that dogs will accept your pride and love as a reward, while cats...do not. Years later, she can still do all of her tricks BUT she needs to see the treat first and when not in the mood she'll give my out-stretched hand a half-hearted tap and look at me like "oh sorry, was that not enough, sike, idgaf"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's personality based too. We trained both of ours to high five for a treat as kittens, and it went well for about a year. Then one of them decided she's not here to be our circus act and gives us a solid "gently caress you" glare when we try to get her to high five. If she's feeling generous she might lift one paw a few inches before deciding it isn't worth it.

The other cat? She loves it and will balance on her back feet waving her paws in their air trying to get us to hurry up.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

We trained our kitten to give kisses when he was like 10 weeks old

Now that he's a year and a half old.. he's basically still a huge baby and loves kisses and still loves to play fetch with hair ties. He doesn't play fetch for like hours anymore, but he goes through phases. He honestly just acts like a bigger kitten still

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Discovered a new game, making a small paper airplane out of origami paper to throw for Kali and Merlin to chase. I try to land it on furniture so they have to leap up to catch it, or drop it in front of Kali’s cat tent so she can jump out and pounce on it. Now they lose their poo poo when they hear that paper crinkling. The size is perfect for them to carry in their mouths. I also tried folding a crane for them and they enjoyed batting it around for a while, but the paper airplane was the bigger hit because they can track it through the air.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I’ve used videos from Cat School to teach my cat paw tricks and to sit & lay down. He won’t even consider the paw tricks unless I have a treat but he will sit and/or lay down on command (lay down is…pretty imprecise. He’ll walk in a circle then flop to the floor). But yeah, he’s a cat, he only does what he feels like doing.

I haven’t done any training in several months but it was more of a fun playtime activity in itself. Lay down was really exciting; over several sessions you lure them to go under a prop, gradually lower the prop until they have to belly crawl, then take the prop away and reward them if they continue to get on their belly.

It was like a series of puzzles he had to work out and when he connected the dots and belly crawled on command without any props I legit almost cried. :kiddo: He later figured out he didn’t need to crawl and now just flops straight to the floor, it’s loving great. I haven’t had to mental energy to get back into it but he seemed to really enjoy the process.

EDIT: Here’s a video I posted to the YOSPOS cat thread soon after I taught him lie down.
https://i.imgur.com/xROvZlu.gifv

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 23, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been a couple days and Finn's eaten without throwing up so keeping our fingers crossed but I really hope the stuff they gave him at the vet this week helped cleared out whatever was blocking him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On our evening walks down the neighborhood street, I've managed to train Abby the "come on" command. Because she's a cat she must stop and stare at EVERYTHING and has a tendency to sit down on the sidewalk and be content watching the world go by. But we've gotten to the point where if I ask her to 'come on' she gets up and strolls with me some more.. for about 6 feet before some other bug catches her interest.

But it's the coolest thing having a cat listen to you.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Katya often has to be picked up after backyard time but I can call Kimchi inside and she'll come bounding over, it's the sweetest thing. :3:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Crocobile posted:

I’ve used videos from Cat School to teach my cat paw tricks and to sit & lay down. He won’t even consider the paw tricks unless I have a treat but he will sit and/or lay down on command (lay down is…pretty imprecise. He’ll walk in a circle then flop to the floor). But yeah, he’s a cat, he only does what he feels like doing.

I haven’t done any training in several months but it was more of a fun playtime activity in itself. Lay down was really exciting; over several sessions you lure them to go under a prop, gradually lower the prop until they have to belly crawl, then take the prop away and reward them if they continue to get on their belly.

It was like a series of puzzles he had to work out and when he connected the dots and belly crawled on command without any props I legit almost cried. :kiddo: He later figured out he didn’t need to crawl and now just flops straight to the floor, it’s loving great. I haven’t had to mental energy to get back into it but he seemed to really enjoy the process.

EDIT: Here’s a video I posted to the YOSPOS cat thread soon after I taught him lie down.
https://i.imgur.com/xROvZlu.gifv

Haha, same, she'll sit on command but anything else and she needs to see the goods first. I should try having her lay down, this is where's she at currently:

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1450097573151354884?s=20&t=-WvJZmMMMpBkc9JUGPhzAQ

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Any time I feed the dog, my male cat gets extremely pissed at the indignity of the dog getting fed when he's not getting fed. This is despite the fact that the cats free feed and both feeders were refilled yesterday and have plenty of food. I just tried putting a few kibbles of dog food on top of his cat food to see if it would pacify him, but it did not.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Any time I feed the dog, my male cat gets extremely pissed at the indignity of the dog getting fed when he's not getting fed. This is despite the fact that the cats free feed and both feeders were refilled yesterday and have plenty of food. I just tried putting a few kibbles of dog food on top of his cat food to see if it would pacify him, but it did not.

At one point we had enough indignant animals that we had to act like we were refilling everybody's bowl at feeding time, regardless of status. Pick it up, shake it around, maybe dump in a kibble or two for show, etc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

effika posted:

At one point we had enough indignant animals that we had to act like we were refilling everybody's bowl at feeding time, regardless of status. Pick it up, shake it around, maybe dump in a kibble or two for show, etc.

I do this, lol. Usually I'll dump the dry food out back into the container and scoop some back into the bowl.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Does anyone know how much eucalyptus or pennyroyal it would take to actually harm a cat? I have a really high quality wool blanket that's been packed up for ~20 years, I was going to get it out again before this winter and wash it with wool wash. But the two kinds of natural wool wash I got from my mom have either eucalyptus or pennyroyal in them (as a moth repellent, mainly).

If I use the blanket on the couch or bed, my cats will definitely lay on it and/or clean themselves while on it (though not likely to actually lick the blanket itself much).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Why take the chance? Eucalan unscented is cheap in the US and Canada.

https://www.eucalan.com/products-1/delicate-wash/natural

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why take the chance? Eucalan unscented is cheap in the US and Canada.

https://www.eucalan.com/products-1/delicate-wash/natural

Good call, not sure how I missed that. Thanks!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

As a follow up to my last post, my wife and I are ready to bring cats back into our house. We have a meeting with a local foster with a litter of rescue kittens who are about 4 months old, with our eyes on two of the more outgoing ones.

Does anyone have any advice for bringing two kittens into a home? They're currently bunking up together in a spare bedroom so it seems they at least like each other enough. Also anything special we should do/know with also having an infant in the house?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm going on vacation with the gf and her parents so we need to board the cats for a few days, and I had to laugh writing down in the personal belongings section "brown shoe string with orange pipe cleaner wrapped around it".

I always hate doing this, though. We can't help but feel guilty leaving them there, especially knowing one of the two of our cats is a tremendous pain in the rear end. We don't really go on a lot of vacations because of it. Its our vet though and they are familiar with us and the cats so that sorta helps.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We have six cats and were pretty anxious about bringing the baby home and potentially having trouble with the cats. None of them cared, most of them avoided the baby, apart from one friendly cat who likes to lie on the floor in front of anyone who might pet him. We have two kids now and we have never been a problem with a cat, ever.

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 27, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

explosivo posted:

I'm going on vacation with the gf and her parents so we need to board the cats for a few days, and I had to laugh writing down in the personal belongings section "brown shoe string with orange pipe cleaner wrapped around it".

I always hate doing this, though. We can't help but feel guilty leaving them there, especially knowing one of the two of our cats is a tremendous pain in the rear end. We don't really go on a lot of vacations because of it. Its our vet though and they are familiar with us and the cats so that sorta helps.

Are there no cat sitter options where you are?

For us it's been a real game changer, not that we travel a ton. Not to mention that it's actually been cheaper generally than boarding them somewhere. Doesn't work as well though if they need medicine multiple times a day or something

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't really looked into it because my gf's mom will catsit for us usually and one of them does need medication so this is probably the best option for them when we're all going away for a couple days. It's not so bad I just get mad anxiety prepping for it and taking them in, once they're there it's nice to not have to worry about it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

We've had Affie for about two months now, some updates: she apparently had gengivitis, so we tried to brush her teeth, to little success. At the vet's suggestion, we are now using some dental kibble and we'll see how it goes and if the inflamation gets better.

We are learning what she likes in terms of games: she will chase stuff when thrown but only one or two times, and then she will ignore it. She absolutely loves hidden toy games though: we have been using carpets, towels, box lids, furniture, anything we can hide the toy behind will get her going pretty quickly. She also loves to play with (and tear apart) feather teasers. She has been destroying toys at a remarkable pace: when I had a dog, our toys seemed to last much longer: Affie seems to be on a mission from god to make sure that all her toys are ripped apart as soon as she possibly can.

I think she's doing well in getting accustomed to us. She likes to sleep next to us (either me or my SO depending on who is home), and she'll come and meow at me and jump on my desk if she thinks it's dinner time. She is also becoming quite chatty: in the first few weeks she only meowed as a "please don't do that" response to us picking her up/making her do things she didn't want to do, but now she'll meow for food or just to say hello to us: she has small, very shy meows which are just the cutest.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Tekopo posted:

We've had Affie for about two months now, some updates: she apparently had gengivitis, so we tried to brush her teeth, to little success. At the vet's suggestion, we are now using some dental kibble and we'll see how it goes and if the inflamation gets better.

We are learning what she likes in terms of games: she will chase stuff when thrown but only one or two times, and then she will ignore it. She absolutely loves hidden toy games though: we have been using carpets, towels, box lids, furniture, anything we can hide the toy behind will get her going pretty quickly. She also loves to play with (and tear apart) feather teasers. She has been destroying toys at a remarkable pace: when I had a dog, our toys seemed to last much longer: Affie seems to be on a mission from god to make sure that all her toys are ripped apart as soon as she possibly can.

I think she's doing well in getting accustomed to us. She likes to sleep next to us (either me or my SO depending on who is home), and she'll come and meow at me and jump on my desk if she thinks it's dinner time. She is also becoming quite chatty: in the first few weeks she only meowed as a "please don't do that" response to us picking her up/making her do things she didn't want to do, but now she'll meow for food or just to say hello to us: she has small, very shy meows which are just the cutest.
She sounds adorable and similar to our younger cat Kali, from play preferences down to the gingivitis :D based on this similarity, another game that might work for you is to get a length of twine or cord and pull it around / under sofa cushions for her to chase. I use a length of nylon paracord that makes a nice rustling sound when it runs between soft objects. During play time I throw a couple of them on the floor and maybe add a lap blanket to make a little obstacle course. It's easy to mix it up a bit for variety and cheaper than buying new teasers. Seeing Kali dive at the cushions and dig under them frantically with her paw to catch the cord cracks me up every time.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hiya cat thread, four weeks ago tomorrow I brought home two li’l dudes care of my local shelter/foster system.

These are Poe (li’l gray boy) and BB (li’l orange dude), the night I brought them home. Yes, I am a fan of both Star Wars and Oscar Issac in general. Some more recent photos follow:

They are littermates and absolute sweethearts. BB is slightly bigger, more gung-ho and a bit chattier, while Poe seems to havg back and take a bit more of a tactical approach. So far their favorite toys are some little plush sushi rolls, a crinkly fried egg, and a little blue crab with big cartoony eyes. The laser pointer is a big hit and the play tunnel sees a lot of use too. If I come home from work absolutely beat Poe will come and check on me as I lie down and be snuggly and purr up a storm, but that’s not to suggest BB isn’t affectionate—they both start purring when I approach their cat tree when I get home from work, and BB also seems to be more forward about wanting in my lap. If I pick either one up they start purring immediately. I’m very grateful to their foster and the HRA.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Those are some great little dudes! Sounds like they're settling in well.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

That stage where they are not little babies anymore but not fully grown either is the best. Cat teenagers.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I'm dying, this is too cute.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Very good names for very cute kitties!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
how much should you help a long haired cat with their mats? i have air conditioning but on hot days dude just likes to curl up into a stuffy little corner and his fur gets a little chunky this time of year from that, i think.

hes the prissiest cat ever and barely even allows petting, except for in his best moods. its kind of like road construction where you can just get one part done at a time, trying to comb him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If he gets mats and won't let you brush him to stop that you should take him to the vet to get them shaved out. They pull at the skin in a way that's really uncomfortable for the poor cat.