Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
It also depends on how often you're actively playing.

Mushrooms are ~17 minutes and wheat is ~4.5 hours so if you're going to be idling for a while or busy, flour is a good filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

note: this changes once you unlock the tower and farming times get cut in half

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
This game needs to be renamed to OakCraftsRPG. I was mis-sold.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I just hit 98/99/99/90 and I'm looking ahead at all the tower unlock requests. Thanks to the honey and grab bag 7 exchange requests, I'm not sure there's a good reason to climb to exploring 99 before unlocking tower if you plan ahead a little and have been investing in level 6 pets. Looking ahead the big hurdles:
  1. 600 honey. I already have well over 600 honey thanks to early investments in the owl and exchange center requests.
  2. 100 orange geckoes/spiked shells. I've been dutifully throwing crab claws into the well for the last few weeks and I'll have the last few geckoes in another day or two. After, I'll switch to throwing in salt for spiked shells. Getting around 4.5 per day means about three weeks if I don't want to resort to dropping nets.
  3. 150 of various gold fish. I've also been dutifully using my mealworms once or twice a day for the past few weeks to get gold fliers, and I'm just shy of what I need there too. The others should go much quicker. Grab bag 7 exchange requests should be dutifully done whenever possible.
  4. 600 seaweed, 300 water lilies. Seaweed alone will take 400+ large nets and will take probably about a week, assuming I don't dump stam into the forest (also has an opportunity cost of ~2 billion silver.). After that, looking at another 300 nets or so for water lilies. Pearls and giant squid are probably also going to need a few nets but they're offset with time from pets.
  5. 1300 broccoli. Listed because it's a 10h crop and it competes with beets and grape juice for farming experience and with the feed mill. I may just stop leveling pigs for a couple weeks and then I ought to have enough in a couple weeks without too much pain.
  6. 700 moonstones. I'll probably just hoard what my boar brings in until I either hit 700 or I'm gated by these and then I'll dump stamina into Ember Lagoon. This isn't needed until a later quest so I don't see this being much of a gate.
  7. Dragonflies/grasshoppers. Lemur will be one of my last level 6 pets because I understand it's pretty easy to ask folks in chat for these.
  8. Other than the 10.7b silver needed, the rest can be gotten from pets or with comparatively quick exploring/fishing.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 21, 2022

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

Unponderable posted:

I just hit 98/99/99/90 and I'm looking ahead at all the tower unlock requests. Thanks to the honey and grab bag 7 exchange requests, I'm not sure there's a good reason to climb to exploring 99 before unlocking tower if you plan ahead a little and have been investing in level 6 pets. Looking ahead the big hurdles:
  1. 600 honey. I already have well over 600 honey thanks to early investments in the owl and exchange center requests.
  2. 100 orange geckoes/spiked shells. I've been dutifully throwing crab claws into the well for the last few weeks and I'll have the last few geckoes in another day or two. After, I'll switch to throwing in salt for spiked shells. Getting around 4.5 per day means about three weeks if I don't want to resort to dropping nets.
  3. 150 of various gold fish. I've also been dutifully using my mealworms once or twice a day for the past few weeks to get gold fliers, and I'm just shy of what I need there too. The others should go much quicker. Grab bag 7 exchange requests should be dutifully done whenever possible.
  4. 600 seaweed, 300 water lilies. Seaweed alone will take 400+ large nets and will take probably about a week, assuming I don't dump stam into the forest (also has an opportunity cost of ~2 billion silver.). After that, looking at another 300 nets or so for water lilies. Pearls and giant squid are probably also going to need a few nets but they're offset with time from pets.
  5. 1300 broccoli. Listed because it's a 10h crop and it competes with beets and grape juice for farming experience and with the feed mill. I may just stop leveling pigs for a couple weeks and then I ought to have enough in a couple weeks without too much pain.
  6. 700 moonstones. I'll probably just hoard what my boar brings in until I either hit 700 or I'm gated by these and then I'll dump stamina into Ember Lagoon. This isn't needed until a later quest so I don't see this being much of a gate.
  7. Dragonflies/grasshoppers. Lemur will be one of my last level 6 pets because I understand it's pretty easy to ask folks in chat for these.
  8. Other than the 10.7b silver needed, the rest can be gotten from pets or with comparatively quick exploring/fishing.

I’m at basically the same stage and this is a very helpful write up on unlocking that tower.

The exploration grind is atrocious and feels like it will take months.

The only thing I have to add is around broccoli. I’ve been planting broccoli at night before I go to sleep. It’s usually done by the time I log back in in the morning. It’s slow but steady.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Woop, dev is back and craftworks in beta.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Tolth posted:

They have put it on the live server, but for Alpha tier players only. Beta tier players cannot use it. It will eventually be opened up to Beta/Live, but my issue is that this means Alpha has moved from being "see stuff on the test server first" to "Beta but you pay more to get features even earlier".

have fun in beta now

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

When you get your first ten billion, do NOT excitedly slam it into a farm row instead of the storehouse lol. Did that over a week ago and only now got around to my second ten bill.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

HelloNewman posted:

The exploration grind is atrocious and feels like it will take months.

Agreed, and I'm finding it very difficult to estimate how long it will actually take. The buddy.farm calculator assumes all of your stamina comes from a single source (e.g., orange juice) and not the entire orchard, and doesn't factor in the fruit that you find from exploring there. I probably need to make a spreadsheet.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

HelloNewman posted:

The only thing I have to add is around broccoli. I’ve been planting broccoli at night before I go to sleep. It’s usually done by the time I log back in in the morning. It’s slow but steady.

Yeah, broccoli was my “going to bed” crop for quite a while. (After tower unlocked cutting farming times in half, I switched to cotton.)

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Unponderable posted:

Agreed, and I'm finding it very difficult to estimate how long it will actually take. The buddy.farm calculator assumes all of your stamina comes from a single source (e.g., orange juice) and not the entire orchard, and doesn't factor in the fruit that you find from exploring there. I probably need to make a spreadsheet.

Honestly don't worry that much about voiding massive amounts of slimestone and oak on the way to 99, the only thing I'd keep on top of is the garnet rings and red shields as they give a ton of money for minimal effort (mushroom farming, a quick stop in ember lagoon).

WC is easily the best place for that final long and awful push to 99 since it gives far more XP than any other zone plus you get like 25% of your stamina back in fruit, you'll have plenty of time to get more oak and slimestone and the unlocks at 99 make a massive gain in silver and ATI resources.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Kaboobi posted:

Honestly don't worry that much about voiding massive amounts of slimestone and oak on the way to 99, the only thing I'd keep on top of is the garnet rings and red shields as they give a ton of money for minimal effort (mushroom farming, a quick stop in ember lagoon).

WC is easily the best place for that final long and awful push to 99 since it gives far more XP than any other zone plus you get like 25% of your stamina back in fruit, you'll have plenty of time to get more oak and slimestone and the unlocks at 99 make a massive gain in silver and ATI resources.

Agreed on all points, I'm just saying I have no sense right now of how many weeks it will take.

Edit: I did some napkin math, using a lot of assumptions.

Assuming: all stamina into WC; all fruit/day maximized to inventory limit; no exploring bonus XP; no event bonus; Wanderer, Forester, Resource Saver maxed; Lemon Squeezer; making Arnold Palmers; ignoring fruits and juice from pets; ignoring inventory cap increases; assuming five recursions/day of using fruit/juices/APs, exploring WC, then repeating. 306.581 XP/explore; 1.99 lemonade = 1 OJ. Using some numbers on Discord and buddy.farm, you get back 44.5 stamina-equivalent of fruit for every 100 stamina-equivalent spent in WC.

Result: You get about 39,296 XP per day per inventory capacity. With 30% bonus XP, 868 inventory capacity, and starting at level 90 (1.27 billion XP to 99), it will take me 29 days to hit level 99.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 21, 2022

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

anyway, welcome to corn jail 2 everyone

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So like, do I finish corn jail 1 or work on corn jail 2? I"m at...92%? on Corn Jail 1, so I probably will just wrap that up.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
"Oh cool, a new questline. After I finally finished those Corn quests yesterday, it's nice to have something new to do while I wait for all these Gold Fliers!"

Fuckers.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Unponderable posted:

Don't forget 700 cogwheels/small screws. Even with macaw's chests, you still need enough keys to unlock them all, and bear helps with that.

But yes, tower is painless if you take your time and plan ahead. If you are like me and trying to unlock it within the first 6 weeks of playing, on other hand...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Lone Goat posted:

When you get your first ten billion, do NOT excitedly slam it into a farm row instead of the storehouse lol. Did that over a week ago and only now got around to my second ten bill.

I'm almost to my first $10B and it's definitely going to the storehouse. I might then start ATI instead of the farm row. I'm at 98/99/99/91 and have been trying to pre-plan items for the tower for a while but am definitely not fully stocked yet.

Also hey, more corn!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How are you guys getting enough herbs? I went from 90 to 97 and still do not have enough herbs.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kaboobi posted:

I didn't void much oak, I just leveled up my steelworks enough so that sturdy bow production could match my exploring needs. I hit 99 a few days before I GM'd the bows, so, it worked out pretty well. Red shields are nice too but bows use more oak and pay out better for the amount of steel they use. I'm working on those now, though.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

obi_ant posted:

How are you guys getting enough herbs? I went from 90 to 97 and still do not have enough herbs.

I have 550 herbs after leveling from 80 to 90, and that's after spending 50 to unlock PC. You only need 600 to unlock tower. Have you been throwing them at other quests?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

obi_ant posted:

I'm still poking away at a quest asking for 1000 of em, up to 650!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Be real careful with quests it seems like Defenses and Consequences and Strange Companions are both trap chains designed to gently caress you over when you unlock ATI.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yeah, I highly recommend leaving the entirely of Strange Companions until after you've done ATI. A lot of them ask for the same resources, and you'll want the tower before a questline that doesn't really lead anywhere.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Unponderable posted:

I have 550 herbs after leveling from 80 to 90, and that's after spending 50 to unlock PC. You only need 600 to unlock tower. Have you been throwing them at other quests?

I think Strange Companions has some herb requests right? I might've done that too soon. I'm going to ignore Strange Companions for a long while since it seems like ATI gives back a lot of items that Strange Companions requires.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Welcome back corn jail / Welcome Unlikely Pair.

Does anyone understand Craftworks? I’m not sure I’m understanding it correctly but I’ve done this to make fishing nets, I think?

So each time my inventory is not full, and I have the components, this will make them for me? As long as I have it set to “Play”.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Correct, though I’d used those last two spots on Boards and Wagon Wheels instead of nets based on your masteries. That would automatically use all your wood and boards to make wagon wheels each hour. That would automatically make you 240 Wagon Wheels each hour. You could log on twice a day to sell them and make 5k in progress on that mastery every day automatically.

That’s how I have my last two spots laid out. I’ve just been cycle through brooms, barrels, shields, wheels, etc.

I unlock the tower as soon as I finish growing 300 more corn. Pretty happy to finally get that moving.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

koshmar posted:

99 Bottles LXXX rewards Runestone 16, I hope you get it before then.

lol

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Lawlicaust posted:

Correct, though I’d used those last two spots on Boards and Wagon Wheels instead of nets based on your masteries. That would automatically use all your wood and boards to make wagon wheels each hour. That would automatically make you 240 Wagon Wheels each hour. You could log on twice a day to sell them and make 5k in progress on that mastery every day automatically.

That’s how I have my last two spots laid out. I’ve just been cycle through brooms, barrels, shields, wheels, etc.

I unlock the tower as soon as I finish growing 300 more corn. Pretty happy to finally get that moving.

Cool. I guess I’ll make a couple of sets to cover that and overnight, my first thought was just nets and it seemed to work well - I logged in and found all my net crafting for the day well underway.

Welcome to the tower (almost)

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DRINK ME posted:

Cool. I guess I’ll make a couple of sets to cover that and overnight, my first thought was just nets and it seemed to work well - I logged in and found all my net crafting for the day well underway.

Welcome to the tower (almost)

Automatic Twine/Rope crafting is definitely on my and fantastic. Waking up to full inventory of both is a good start to the day.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Lawlicaust posted:

Automatic Twine/Rope crafting is definitely on my and fantastic. Waking up to full inventory of both is a good start to the day.

I normally wake up, craft my raptor nets and then focus on getting my twine/rope back to max. Craftworks means I can ignore rope all day and max it out over night.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Did those AHK scripts for fishing end up getting detected?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

koshmar posted:

I normally wake up, craft my raptor nets and then focus on getting my twine/rope back to max. Craftworks means I can ignore rope all day and max it out over night.

Same

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Started growing corn for Jill's new questline and got 3 RS11s in seven harvests. Feels like an omen of some kind.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Did those AHK scripts for fishing end up getting detected?

There's not really any way for them to detect you unless you gently caress it up, by fishing past when you have bait, or past a full inventory. Even then they'll send you a warning before banning you.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Sometimes when fishing a thing will pop up telling you to wait a second. If you keep fishing without a pause, which it seems like that script would do, that might be another way that they can find you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would suggest that eggplant jail is way worse than corn jail. At least with corn there's a questline to complete that scratches an itch. Eggplant you're just desperately hoping the runestone will drop. That's it.

Edit: complain 2 win succeeds again

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 23, 2022

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Ok well working my way to a billion and not sure what to go for first. Storehouse seems like a good option long term, I need macaw and python at 6 for intruders, and could use the farming boost from an extra crop row too

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yarrington posted:

Ok well working my way to a billion and not sure what to go for first. Storehouse seems like a good option long term, I need macaw and python at 6 for intruders, and could use the farming boost from an extra crop row too

Don’t do the 1 bil row until an event hits, since event XP multipliers do apply to purchase of farm buildings.

I’d recommend Macaw 6 first, and then storehouse; Macaw will help you get back to 1 billion faster as well as producing necessary items for PC.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

thank you buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'll get my first 1bil today, straight into a macaw. Daddy needs those large nets that I can't craft yet.