Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SoundwaveAU posted:

In case she's spotted it's less problematic for them for some maid (possible sex worker) to be coming to a student's house after hours than their own teacher.

Also his house is a coffee shop owned by an older gentleman (Sojiro) and Joker is calling from the public phone. Technically Kawakami's service is in fact legit and above board, there's a sister company that has the sex workers, technically.

It comes up later in her confidant that she's being pressured to (and almost considers) swapping to said sister company.

Like, most people would assume seeing her going into the shop that she's been hired to clean the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 85: 7/22-7/23: The Hunt For Hidden Daughter

This update contains content from Part 71 of the original LP

Anon: QUE ES FANTOM THIEF?

Early Morning

Music: Wicked Plan

Stop whining.
Anyway, about Futaba Sakura… You think the people around your neighborhood would know her if she’s related to Boss? Maybe you should ask around.
That’s actually a pretty good idea coming from you.
Yeah, well, I doubt it’ll be that easy. When has it ever been, right…?

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

We’re having an assembly on Monday, and we’ll be taking attendance! No cutting! I’m supposed to tell you not to do anything stupid over break due to all the weird poo poo that’s been going on, but I’m too excited due to all the new stand-up material I’ve come up with… Maybe I’ll test some of it at the assembly. Wouldn’t that be fun?
Oh god.
This is gonna suck.

Seems like we won’t be having fun on our summer break for a while…

Morning → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Let’s head to Yongen and gather info around the neighborhood!

Well, time to talk to a bunch of NPCs in a row and learn very little!

…… Ah, yes! That was the name of the teacher I had a crush on back when I was in elementary school!

Didn’t need to hear that, but okay.

…Let’s ask some other people, too.

Futaba? Hmmm… We do get the occasional young’un coming and poking around… but I’m afraid I don’t know them by name.
No luck here either, huh… Let’s go ask some other people.

No. No, I don’t know who that could be.

…Wait a minute. I know you…
H-Heh, nope, no idea where you got that impression…
…Oh, mother*fucker*, you’re the dude that was creeping on Kasumi! And also trying to besmirch Yoshida’s good name! Or at least, his name!
Look over there! A distraction!
Huh? *looks* There’s nothing over there… Oh, he ran away.

By the way, do you eat a lot?

If it’s just you and him, then you’ve been eating enough for two, right? You must have quite the appetite. …What? You’re telling me you don’t actually eat that much? Maybe it’s Boss who eats a lot then…

Hm, but wouldn’t this Futaba get angry if they find out you’re snooping on them though?

I come to Sakura-san’s often to make deliveries, but I’ve never seen who you’re talking about.
So, up until now, our biggest lead seems to be… The chief buys a lot of food, far more than enough for one person living alone.

Hey, maybe he’s gotta feed his pet anaconda. I did not intend that as a euphemism, for the record. It’s important to me that you understand that.

Let’s check out all the shops where you can buy food!

…… Futaba? Over at Sakura-san’s? I haven’t heard anything… Sorry. Come again!
Hrm, we didn’t find anything on Futaba… I think our only option now is to go home and ask the chief directly…

Okay, cool, just let me go do something for the rest of the afternoon and I’ll talk to Sojiro when I get back ho—

After School → Evening

God dammit.

Music: Suspicion

So you’re the one who tipped him off about Futaba. You really shouldn’t have done that. I have no intention of talking to you about Wakaba.

I have no idea what the hell you’re talking about, so I’m just going to ignore that. You realize we’re going to revoke your custody, right? Are you okay with that?

What!?

Considering the state she’s in and your own situation, I can’t imagine you’ll have a leg to stand on in domestic court. But please, try anyway—I’m eager to watch a grown man cry and beg for mercy.
Now, hold on a—
Abuse, Sojiro? For shame…
I never—
Sure you didn’t. All these allegations just formed out of thin air.
That’s because you—Listen, I don’t know anything about it!

We’re extremely serious about this. As long as there’s a possibility that cognitive psience can be linked to psychotic breakdowns…

Something about the way she pronounced the word “science” makes me wince…

Tch… Fine, you win.
Thank you. I will contact you at a later date. *places business card on counter*
I doubt you’ll find anything you want to hear though.
That’s fine. It will be up to use to decide whether the information you give us is useful or not.

I’ll be in on Monday for the usual cup o’ joe! See you then!

’Sup girl. How you livin’?

That woman is real good at pissing people off…

So, uh… what’s the rumpus?

This doesn’t involve you.

Futaba, huh…? Seems rough. Maybe I should meet her.

That’s enough! Just behave yourself and keep going to school if you don’t want me to throw you out of here.

But tomorrow’s the last day…

You got that? Lock the store up. *leaves*

Moreso, our conjecture that Alibaba is connected to Leblanc seems to have a pretty solid foundation. Oh, and didn’t they mention “cognitive” something?

Yeah, pretty sure it was “science”, spelled totally normally.

...I wonder what the chief’s hiding. We can’t really press him on the subject though, especially after he mentioned throwing you out.

Music: Beneath the Mask

You find out anything about Futaba Sakura?
I’ve been wondering about that too!

>I’ll tell you tomorrow.

Whoa-ho!
So you did learn something. Fine work.
I knew we could count on you!
Maaku-kun, thank you. All right, then let’s all meet up tomorrow.

It occurs to me that I have perhaps oversold what I’ve learned tonight…

Our show managed to get a “calling card” left by—as it says here—“The Phantom Thieves of Hearts.” On it, they also claim that they will make their target “confess their sins.”
We’re getting more popular by the minute! Going after Kaneshiro was a great choice!

In the original game, tonight’s TV broadcast was a reference to Kanami from Persona 4: Dancing All Night.

We’re going to call Kawakami to make some curry.

Then, it’s cleanup time. We need the Kindness, after all.

Maaku gains Kindness +1.

Anon: medjed is dangerous……

After School

Yeah, she was going on about domestic abuse and taking the case to court and stuff…

It certainly sounds like Sis…

What’s up?
It’s nothing. So to summarize what you told us, Futaba is Boss’ daughter, and he’s abusing her? I don’t know him very well… Is he really the kind of person who would do that?

No.
Can you really be so sure, though? Do you really know him all that well?
I don’t. But also, we’ve hung out a few times. He’s taught me how to make coffee, and then insulted the coffee he taught me how to make. He’s a hardass and a grouch, but he seems like a good guy.

Music: Disquiet

What’s the holdup, my dudes? I gave you all you required, and you still haven’t done anything. Do you want me to report you to the police? I’ll do it, you know!
Tell him we need her keywords to enter her Palace.
>What are her keywords?
I don’t know what that is.
Ask to meet with Alibaba. We need his identity…
>We need to meet up with you to confirm some things.

Meet? With me? That will be difficult. I have reasons for not being able to go out. That’s why I’m contacting you like this.
He can’t go out?

…Oh, I see. You steal hearts directly… That will make this difficult. Hmm… Welp, sorry, but I need to call this deal off. Stop asking about Futaba. Don’t worry, I won’t report you either. Sorry for wasting your time
>Uh, what?
GOODBYE FOREVER.

Uh… did he really just call the whole thing off?
He can’t go out, but we can’t meet Futaba either? This doesn’t make sense…
Not like we can do anything about this now that they’ve gone dark. Let’s just drop this.
What do we do about Medjed then?
I bet that was all just big talk. They probably were just trying to puff themselves up, but they’ve done nothing since. Maybe they’re even worried we’ll change their hearts.
Ryuji, that’s dumb. We should probably be a little more cautious here.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I suppose we can relax, lacking other options.
God, even you’re thinking this is a good idea? Have I gone even further deranged than usual?
Oh by the way? Remember that briefcase from Kaneshiro’s Treasure! I sold it for 150,000 yen!
Sweet!
Dibs.
There’s no dibs! We’re going to use this to make up for the disaster at the fireworks festival! Let’s go get some sushi tomorrow!
Yeah, okay, fine.
Is this okay? I usually fill myself up on ginger before going for sushi so as to not strain my wallet.
You don’t gotta do that this time, dude! We’re paying for everything!
Hmm… Very well, then. The flavors may well be creatively stimulating.

After School → Evening

>It wasn’t.
It’s rather odd that they haven’t done anything yet, given their provocations…
We should probably come up with a countermeasure regardless.
>Yes, we should!
Everybody cheer up! We should just enjoy the sushi tomorrow!
>Am I loving shadowbanned? This is ridiculous! We have to do something! We’re all gonna die!

As of now, no one has stepped forward and identified themselves as part of the Phantom Thieves. With the identities of both sides shrouded in mystery, everyone is watching for what they’ll do next.
We were starting to get popular. I want us to live up to everyone’s expectations, but these hackers…

And let’s clean up again.

Maaku gains Kindness +1.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 1, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

【ペルソナ5】 PERSONA 5 ♫ 32 - DISTORTED SCHOOL 「 Dungeon BGM 」 by rayeon

Came across this on Soundcloud and felt it would be appropriate to share here, given... *gestures at everything*

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Is this okay? I usually fill myself up on ginger before going for sushi so as to not strain my wallet.

Wow, that is one of the most relatable lines in this game

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

How could you replace Morgana saying "poo poo"?! By far the most shocking change for Royal.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SoundwaveAU posted:

How could you replace Morgana saying "poo poo"?! By far the most shocking change for Royal.

He was quoting Ryuji, that doesn't count!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 86: 7/24: Script Kiddies

This update contains content from Part 72 of the original LP.

Daytime

These drat Phantom Thieves are causing us a massive headache… First they bring down Kaneshiro, now Medjed declares war on them… They’re making us look like jokes.

Stress is bad for the skin, you know.

Akechi, shut the gently caress up before I make you eat that dorkass tie you’re always wearing. I hope you didn’t come all the way down here just to be sexist at me, because I get plenty of that from everyone else here. Thanks anyway, though.
……
Oh, that got you? God, if only I had known it was that easy to shut you up.
*ahem* Anyway, I have a hypothesis for you, if you’ll indulge me.
I really don’t care, but I’m sensing that won’t stop you. Go ahead.
This may sound absurd, but… don’t you think the actions of the Phantom Thieves share some commonalities with the psychotic breakdowns you’ve been looking into? All involved with both cases have had inexplicable changes of heart…
You didn’t think that was the first thing I suspected? I looked into it but couldn’t find anything to link them. Is that all?
I believe the Phantom Thieves are using their altruism as a smokescreen for terrorist activities by way of psychotic breakdowns.
Sounds like a grand theory, and I can’t totally dismiss it, but I’m going to tell you what I learned from the mentor character in every Ace Attorney game: evidence is king. You got any?
Unfortunately, I do not.
Super.
That bit of insight is just for you, I should add. That information would be wasted on the police.
…Akechi, you didn’t tell me anything.
Didn’t I? Well, nevertheless. I should ask, did you manage to get any information out of the guardian of that mental shutdown victim’s daughter?
I really squeezed him, but no. Nothing worthwhile there. It’ll be really awkward next time I go there for coffee…

I see. Now, what should my next action be for our victory?
Handle the Phantom Thieves. Without remorse. Use any means necessary to win. That’s how I would deal with them.

*chuckle* Way ahead of you there.

This seems to be fun for you. Are you on to something?

Onto something? No. I swear to you right now that I am being completely forthright with you on the hyperspecific issue of having a “hunch” about the Phantom Thieves, which I do not. *cough* Because I already know exactly who they are and how they operate. *cough*
What an odd way to phrase that. Oh well. Maybe get that cough looked at.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

This place is in Ginza, right? Do we take the usual train from Shibuya?

Daytime → Evening

Music: Alright

I-I don’t see any prices listed here…
*with mouthful of food* It’s called market price. Don’t worry ‘bout it; we got the cash!

Get back in the bag, cat!

Is Boss really the kind of person who would abuse someone?

You asked me this yesterday. Answer’s still no.

I can’t get it off my mind. Especially if it means he could be taken to court… What kind of person is he? Do you truly believe he’d do such a thing?

Christ, Makoto, drop it. I told you he’s not.
If he really is abusive, he’s had us all fooled. Maybe he’s the one who needs a change of heart.
Why is everyone so ready to discount my opinion? I’m the only one who regularly interacts with this dude.
Everyone slow down for a sec. I got curious after our conversation yesterday and checked his name in the Nav.
Sounds like nothing came up. Good to know… unless he’s using an assumed name!
No! Bad! Stop!
If he doesn’t have a Palace, it’s really none of our business.
Cool. …Wait, holy poo poo, it never occurred to me that we could be putting random peoples’ names into the Nav. Sounds fun.
You’d think so, but it’s actually pretty depressing how many positives I got.
Hey… You guys think—
No.
I didn’t even say it yet!
You were gonna throw out some gonzo bullshit like “Alibaba is Sojiro’s ex-wife and Futaba is their secret lovechild,” weren’t you?
N-No…

Still, this is delicious. I’ve never experienced anything quite like it before.

It sure is good that we, the Phantom Thieves, did that change of heart on Kaneshiro so that we, the Phantom Thieves, could receive this due compensation for our efforts! As the Phantom Thieves!
DUDE.

Crap…!

Phan… Fanta! That was my favorite soft drink! Thank you for helping to remind me, Ryuji!
No prob.
That’s a weird pick, but whatever.
I’m all in on Faygo!
Why did I come here with you?

I dunno guys, I still think they use magic to put the little sticks inside the ice cream.
Hahaha, you said it! What a fun excursion to… wherever we just went that was, chums.
Huh!? Akechi!?
Infiltration failed! I’ve been compromised! Abort mission!
Oh, hey man, what’s up? Did you come looking to see if I wanted to get hustled at pool again?
No, sorry, this is a total coincidence. Hello to your friends as well. I recognize some of them from the TV station, as well as Niijima-san.
Who is this?
Come now, I’m sure you know who I am. Not to brag, but I’m kind of a big deal.
…No, I can’t say I recognize you.
That’s… totally fine, doesn’t bother me at all… But I certainly know who you are, pupil of Madarame.
How do you know that?
Oh, sorry. I recently joined the investigation team looking into the Phantom Thieves, so I’m of course up-to-date on persons close to their victims such as yourself.
Huh, good for you.
Yes, I’m certainly “on the come-up,” as the kids say. I’m very busy lately, though. Especially since Medjed just waged war on the Phantom Thieves.
Huh? When did that happen?
About… *checks watch* …Five minutes ago. They updated their website.

What the…!?
That seems like a rather strong reaction.
She’s, uh… a big fan! Can’t get enough of those Phantom Thieves!
I’m not sure it reflects very well on your character to be a fan of people like them.
I’m not sure it reflects well on your character to wear that dipshit vest.
Whoa, harsh. I’m sensing some unresolved tension here between these two, possibly sexual, but I have no reason to believe Akechi is straight.
I must say, what an eclectic group you’ve gathered here. Prosecutor Niijima’s sister, Madarame’s ex-pupil, and a few students of Shujin Academy… all tied to the Phantom Thieves in some way. It’s entirely possible you all know more than I do about them!
Yeah, maybe I should have your job, ha! Actually, on second thought, I don’t mean that as a joke. Please give me your job, I’d be way better at it.
Dude, what happened to your “eff the police” shtick?
Just because they’re universally bad doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be good at it!
Well, I’ll let you in on my profile of the Phantom Thieves, since you’re all such big fans. The Phantom Thieves are likely a group of gifted youngsters with uncanny abilities who fight against oppression. They have a lot of free time, because they’re all losers, and formulate their plans at their hideout, which is probably just some spot under a bridge or something. And given their start with Kamoshida, they likely began activity in April. …Huh, funny, it almost seems like everything I’m saying describes all of you.
What a weird coincidence. Oh well, crazy things happen every day.

What, you gonna report us?

God, Ryuji, shut up. You just lost your talking privileges for the night.

I didn’t say I was being suspicious of you.

I mean, you kinda did. Anyway, Ryuji’s a Phantom Thief.
Huh!?
What did I just say, man? No talking.
……
Wasn’t expecting that response, I must say. But don’t you think my deduction is interesting? I bet we’d make a great team.
Akechi, you’re being a little too forward. Take me out to dinner fir—oh wait, you already did that. Never mind!

Well, this has been a valuable point of reference for me. I hope to see you all again.

In the base game, that scene was where we got Akechi’s Confidant to Rank 2, so a small bit of dialogue was cut out in Royal to remove that. Nothing too important.

Anyway, I really, really like that Akechi shows up here just to pull an Adachi and casually reveal pertinent information to gently caress with his mortal enemies. It’s especially funny that he tells us about his profile of the Phantom Thieves when he already knew we were they.

Do you think he’s ascertained our true identities?

Nah, couldn’t—
*glare*
……
I dunno why we’re acting like we’re any good at hiding our identities. Makoto *and* Alibaba already found out, after all, and we’ve also got this 2000 IQ Brain Genius blurting it out five times a minute.
Anyway, we need to talk about Medjed! Their website says they’re waging war on us!
What does it say?

“Dear people of Japan: Are you guys loving kidding me with this poo poo? You’re still worshiping the Phantom Thieves after the undeniable proof we totally owned those lamers? They remain silent, and as punishment for that silence, we will be targeting major financial institutions, like in that really good movie, Fight Club. Have you seen it? Man, I love Tyler Durden. Anyway! Repent, Phantom Thieves! If you do not reveal your identities publicly within one month’s time, we will be forced to punish all of Japan in your place. We are Medjed, yadda yadda.”
These guys aren’t very committed to the whole fight-the-man thing if they’re only going to target banks to get at us. They just want attention. Pathetic.
What can we do about this…?
We need to get in contact with Alibaba… but our only clues are Boss and Futaba. Let’s head over to Leblanc and discuss things for now.

Looks like we got no choice but to ask for Alibaba’s help.

Oops, sorry…
Eh, I’m already sick of enforcing this, you can talk again. Just know you’re on thin ice.
We need to get in contact with Alibaba somehow. If we steal Futaba’s heart, maybe he will contact us again.
But we don’t have any idea what Futaba’s like. There’s no way to get her keywords.

Dammit, Alibaba! Where the hell are you!?

Actually, I’ve got an idea about that.

Huh!?

Out with it, woman!
Alibaba and Futaba are the same person, you idiots. How else would the know if the change of heart happened? Why else would he be unable to meet with us?
Huh, that… makes sense.
But she’s asking us to steal her own heart?
How does that work? Are her distorted desires the scars of abuse?
Are we seriously still harping on this? Sojiro’s not like that.
We should meet with Boss. I’d like to ask him about Futaba.
Okay, I know I just said he’s not like that, but given how apoplectic he was last time some lady came in asking about Futaba—striking resemblance, by the way—he’s probably going to murder all of us if we do that.
So it’s a non-starter, then.
I didn’t say no! Let’s head over to his place right now. It’s extremely close.
What’s our excuse for showing up at his house this late gonna be?
We have this sushi we got for Morgana, let’s say it’s a gift for him.
Noooooooo!
Seems like a flimsy excuse… Whatever, I’ve lived long enough.

But the lights are on…

We’ve rung it a ton, but no response… If Futaba were here, she surely would have answered herself.

Ah, the gate is unlocked.
Dude, you can’t go openin’ other people’s stuff like that.
But look. The door seems to be slightly open as well.

Whoa, it sounds like it’s going to rain… We should get inside!
…Do you thinks that’s okay?
…Prolly?
My apologies, Boss!

The door ahead is open, and I can hear the TV.

He’s kinda old, right? Maybe he collapsed.
Not funny. I have to live off his kindness, remember?
I wasn’t joking.

I’m a bit worried. Should we go in and check on him?
*whispering* Please excuse us…

Music: Desire

As lightning strikes, the power goes out.

Aaaaaaaa!
Aaaaaaaaaaa!
A scream!? What was that!?
H-How should I know?

Jeepers!
Welp, this place is haunted, let’s bail.
I-I concur.

Man, everyone’s hitting on me tonight. Sure, knock yourself out.

Makoto, you do realize that this is not actually you holding my hand, right?

Show yourself, ghost! I-I’m not afraid of you!

AAAAAAAAAA!!!

Futaba does a weird little scared-dance and runs up the stairs.

Alibaba! Futaba! Hey! C’mon, where are you!? You’re a hacker, right? Just show yourself!
I’msorryI’msorryI’msorry! PleasesavemeSis…

I’m sensing some trauma here…

Ah poo poo. Well, we’re hosed, do we want to accept death peacefully or go down swinging?

I’msorryI’msorryI’msosorrySis… Somebodypleasesaveme…

Hello kind sir… We did not intend to intrude upon your domicile…
Wait, are you… Niijima-san? What’s going on? Are you two dating?
Psh, yeah, no. I can do way better.
Huh? You didn’t have to say it like that, but… no, we’re just friends!

Friends nowadays get that close to each other?

Wait, sorry, I’ve kind of lost the plot here. Why the gently caress are you in my house?
I see. Ol’ Sojiro’s been too good to let poor ol’ Maaku in his house all this time. You’ve been holding out on me, old man! This place has actual *rooms*! And presumably a shower of some nature!
It doesn’t seem like he’s killing them. We might be okay to come out, guys.

Um, we brought you some sushi, but nobody answered when we rang the bell… The door was unlocked too. We could hear the TV though, so we got worried you might have passed out or something...

Did I really forget to lock the door again? Ugh, getting old sucks…
Excuse me… I’d like to ask you something. There’s someone else living here, isn’t there?

Yeah… My daughter.
Could you be Futaba Sakura…?
You told Niijima-san too!?
U-Um… is there any way we could meet with Futaba-san? I think we may have frightened her earlier, so we’d like to apologize if at all possible…

That’s… impossible, sorry. She’s not… Look, I don’t want you all getting the wrong idea. I shouldn’t have kept this a secret in the first place. Let’s talk back at the shop. She’ll overhear us here.

Music: Alleycat

Futaba’s mother and I knew each other long before Futaba was born. Her mother was a bit of a weird one, but we got along well for some reason… She was sharp-witted, somewhat stern, a little socially inept, but always carefree… She truly was a great woman.
I see…

She would hyperfocus on anything that piqued her interest, and work long into the night. Even after Futaba was born, she didn’t change in that way. Even still, she took good care of her, even if alone.
Was there no father?
No, there wasn’t. I mean, I assume she didn’t make Futaba herself, to be clear. But I never knew him and she never talked abut him. She was single the entire time, until… her suicide. She threw herself into the street, right before Futaba’s eyes.
That’s…
Incredibly hosed up, yes.
A lot happened after her mother’s death, but I ended up taking custody of Futaba. At first, she was too depressed to even speak to me, but I kept pushing and eventually she started opening up. But… I found out Futaba blames herself for her mother’s death.

What!? But why!?

I don’t know the reason, and I’d prefer not to make things worse, so I didn’t ask. But ever since a few months ago, she’s been getting scared for no reason, and saying she hears voices. She even said “Mom is looking at me…”

Visual and auditory hallucinations… Have you taken Futaba to a doctor?
I wanted to, but she refused. Even when I had a doctor come, she locked herself away in her room. Since then, she’s become what you’d call a shut-in. She won’t take a single step outside the house, or even try to see other people.
What about you?
She doesn’t even let me in her room.
That’s pretty harsh…
Futaba is, well, a unique girl. She’s so quick-minded that conversations with her tend to jump from one topic to the next… It seems like she’s always coming to conclusions in her head. There’s a lot I don’t get about her… So yeah… her situation is why I couldn’t let you in my house.

Hey, don’t worry about it. Basic amenities are overrated when you have the sickest bachelor pad in the world like I do.

What Futaba needs is a safe place where nobody will threaten her. Somewhere she can be at ease. That’s why I won’t do anything she doesn’t want. I don’t make her do anything she’s unwilling to either. Then again, I know that’s no way for her to live. It’s all I can do though...

Sounds rough for the both of you.
Maybe…

Well, that’s that. So can you just… leave her be?

Uhhh… Yeah, sure. Totally not going to disobey you here or anything, no sir!

I’m gonna head back then. You all had better head home soon too.

No way in hell he’s abusin’ her.
The reason why Futaba wants her heart stolen must be related to what happened to her mother.
So she’d like to discard her feelings of pain, but can’t do anything about it herself.
Will changing her heart really help her though?
If we can help her, we may be able to stand up to Medjed.

If we’re going to do this, it should probably be for Futaba’s sake, and not, you know, our own.

Hold on a sec. Do we even know if she has a Palace? Let’s check.

Candidate found.
What the…?
So someone can have a Palace even if they’re not evil? Hey, Morgana—

Oh, huh. Cat’s gone.
When did you see him last? Before we went in Boss’ house?
I dunno. Maybe he’s dead.
Eh, he’ll be fine. Let’s all head home, the trains will stop soon.
And we have the assembly in the morning. Let’s contact each other afterward.

(through headphones) No way in hell he’s abusin’ her.

If we can help her, we may be able to stand up to Medjed.

So someone can have a Palace even if they’re not evil? Hey, Morgana—

CAT

Lemme guess: the chief told you about Futaba, and then you disbanded.
How the hell do you…?

You can’t underestimate my intel-gathering skills, you know.

Anyway, I was in the chief’s house this whole time. I saw Futaba. She seems about the same age as you guys… She heard your entire conversation, by the way, and she can hack into our group chats.
So much for that private conversation…
We’ll need her help to get closer to Mejded. Let’s meet up again tomorrow. Here works, it’s too hot outside for the usual hideout. Make sure you let everyone know.

Music: Interrogation Room

Wait… you’re telling me that while Medjed was targeting you, you were dealing with an unrelated problem?
It’s not like we could have just marched up to Medjed and stolen their heart, genius. We had no leads on them. Besides, this seemed a little more important.
Medjed was going to destroy the Japanese economy!
Yeah, exactly. Less important poo poo.
Then how did Medjed get taken down…? But nevertheless, it seems that you’re not lying about the Sakura family. All you’ve told me here lines up with our own investigation.
You seriously still thought it was possible I was lying to you?

Hmph. If you’re lucid enough for jabs, you can get back to your story. It’s still unclear to us as to how the Phantom Thieves dealt with Medjed since their identity is unknown. If you tell me something coherent, I may be a little more willing to believe you.
It seems Sae Niijima is starting to seriously listen to what I have to say…

Still, to think the Phantom Thieves would have their hideout in the home of Wakaba Isshiki’s daughter. What a coincidence… No, perhaps it’s fate…

It’s really contrived, yeah.

Regardless, we don’t have time to waste. Continue with your story.

Line changes!!!!!!!

Haven’t done one of these in a good while, I know. In the conversation with Sae at the end of this update, the dialogue option “You still doubt me?” has been changed to “Finally listening?” Also, Sae’s lines shortly afterwards, “Hmph, you have quite the wit… Very well, let’s continue. We’ve yet to determine how the Phantom Thieves dealt with Medjed, seeing as they are unseen.” is now “Hmph. If you’re lucid enough for jabs, you can get back to your story. It’s still unclear to us as to how the Phantom Thieves dealt with Medjed since their identity is unknown.” Better lines for sure.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 21, 2023

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Ryuji losing his talking privileges is something I wish we could have.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I’m not sure it reflects very well on your character to be a fan of people like them.
I’m not sure it reflects well on your character to wear that dipshit vest.
Whoa, harsh. I’m sensing some unresolved tension here between these two, possibly sexual, but I have no reason to believe Akechi was straight.

I like all your writing but this is A+ stuff. Akechi's vest is just a bad look.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
How do you do, fellow friends?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 87: 7/25: Just Deserts

This update covers content from Parts 73 and 74 of the original LP.

Anon: No biggie!

Early Morning

I guess they need to set some rules when the world’s eyes are on us because of the Phantom Thieves. Stuff like “Don’t do anything that will hurt the school’s reputation; spend your summer break quietly.”
(Worried Student) I can’t stay quiet with all this excitement going on. Medjed’s statement was insane! “People of Japan, you must not worship the Phantom Thieves,” they said… It could just be a joke. There’s talk that this could lead to the biggest leak of private data to date. I wonder if they’re gonna target another site… I’m curious to see how the Phantom Thieves react.
It’s what I’m looking forward to most this summer. It’ll be the perfect escape from exam studies. But the Phantom Thieves need to take action. They’re the ones Medjed is after.

By the way, I heard Ushimaru talking about rehearsing his “tight five” to warm us up before the lecture starts.
I crave death!

This is bigger than I thought. We can’t leave this be… Let’s get this assembly out of the way. We have our own business to attend to!

C’mon, let’s go! We’re gonna be late!

Our school’s done for…
I don’t care what the principal has to say.
They’re so stupid! I wish I could change their hearts.
Why not make a post? Our request might be taken…

Anon: this’ll blow up
Anon: poo poo + poo poo = poo poo sandwich
Anon: im staying out of this poo poo
Anon: Medjed must be bored
Anon: both are crossing the line

Early Morning → Daytime

Hello everyone. I did not have an assembly like all of you, but I am doing laundry today, so these are my only available clothes.
Uh… okay?
I think he just wanted to fit in. Didn’t wanna be the only one out of uniform, you know?
Let’s get to business, everyone! It seems like Futaba was listening in on Leblanc.
How did she plant a bug in Leblanc if she can’t leave the house?
…Shut up.
I don’t really get it, but we’ll need her hacking skills to take on Medjed.
We’ll have to trust in her skills, then.
By the way, Morgana… can someone who isn’t evil really have a Palace?
Good or evil is irrelevant. It’s all about warped cognitions caused by strong desires. It’s just that most of the time, those strong desires cause you to harm others.

Still, for someone so young to have a Palace… She must be in a lot of pain.
Auditory and visual hallucinations… Those might be related to some important memories that have been warped by her desires.
So we’re all in on changing her heart, yeah?
She asked us to, after all.
We should still be careful. Being invited by someone to change their own heart is… unusual, to say the least. The Palace ruler could behave erratically, or the distortion could be beyond what we’ve seen before. Is everyone still in agreement?
We don’t seem remotely qualified to untangle someone with this level of trauma, but… Sure, why not? Let’s go for it.
We still need the last keyword. We got the name and the place, so…
The distortion is all that’s left, yes.
Let’s try going to the house.

I’ll be able to remember everything if I turn back into a human, right?

Cat, why do you always have to make this poo poo about you?
We’ve got to succeed here. Maybe if we can unravel Futaba’s memories, I can get my own back too…
I’m not following that logic at all.

In any case, it’s not every day you stumble upon a hacker like her around. You really do have a gift, don’t you?

It’s like my life is the extremely rough first draft of a screenplay that got rushed into production. Massive coincidences abound!

You sure live up to my expectations.
I can sense a firm resolve from Morgana…

More infiltration tools, nice.

Hey, they went on without us! Let’s hurry and catch up to them!

She doesn’t leave her house, so that should narrow it down… What about—
I give up.
Huh!?
Let’s just ask her.
I mean… I suppose that’s an option. But this seems risky…
It’ll be fiiiiiiiine. I’ll unlock the door, see?
But what if Boss comes home?
Then we’re all dead.
Huh!?
C’mon, let’s go.

*pause*

There’s no answer…
*knock* Futaba-chan. Are you there? I’m sorry for being startled and screaming yesterday. It was so dark that I got scared.

*pause*

No reaction whatsoever.

Welp, let’s break down the door.
Let’s save that for a last resort.

*knock* You’re listening, right, Alibaba?

Is it Alibaba?

Why’s she only reacting to that name?
You’re Futaba Sakura, aren’t you?

*pause*

She’s not responding again.
Does she not like us saying her name?

Please hear us out. We need to speak with Futaba, not Alibaba. We can’t steal your heart until we understand more about you. You don’t have to come out, just answer our questions.

OK.

You’re up, Maaku.
Of course. I’ll use my winning personality to coax the answers out of her.
Right, sure, whatever.
What do you want to know?
>How is it living in this house?

It’s painful…

>If it’s painful, why not leave?

I can’t leave this place. I’m going to die here.
Wha… Die?

>Die? Why do you say that? And how does that make you *feel*?
You’re not her psychiatrist, man!
I’m definitely going to die here.

This place is my tomb.
Tomb?
You think that’s it?
Try entering “tomb.”
I feel like we could have gotten this answer eventually if we’d actually tried guessing.
Silence! I’m using the Nav! *ahem* “Tomb.”

Input accepted. Searching for route to destination.
We got it…!
Was that enough?

Yes, you’ve been a great help. You will still help us if we do this, won’t you?
Of course. We made a deal.

Not here, dumbass!
Can we at least get our shoes fir—

Our clothes didn’t change…
Well, yeah. She invited us in. She doesn’t see us as a threat, so…
But where’s the tomb? It’s scorching out here!
Futaba must really want to keep people away to create such a vast desert.
All right, enough gabbing. Let’s find the Palace already, yeah?

Is it that way?

Let’s make our way over there.
It’s a little far to walk, though!
Don’t worry, I have a solution to that! TRANSFORM!

Sand is famously easy to drive a car on. This should go great.

All right! Let’s roll!

Video: Through the Desert

Just a reminder that the entire diversion regarding the assembly and Yusuke’s laundry was to explain away a potential plot hole regarding the characters being in their uniforms for this cutscene. This game’s development was kind of a mess, huh?

Music: Treading On Scorched Sand

Does this scene have anything important in it? I can’t remember…

I’ll take that as a no.

Ryuji was holding out on us! He had shoes this whole time!

Ryuji kindly shares his hookup on shoes with the rest of the group before we arrive. How nice of him.

To think her Palace would be a pyramid…

Music: The Days When My Mother Was There (Another Version)

Hey, a pyramid’s a tomb, right?
Yes. It’s a pharoah’s tomb.
That’s how it’s mostly known. There are a variety of theories on it. For instance, it’s even said to be a device for reviving the dead.
Reviving the dead, hm…?

Oh, like her mom, I get it!
What!? God, Makoto, you’re like two steps from admitting you’re actually one of those racist dumbasses who thinks they were built by aliens.
As much as I love whatever this argument is about, can we just head inside? I’m gonna melt…

Music: The Days When My Mother Was There

It may be because Futaba’s room in reality has AC pumping through it. Either way, this is a relief...
Huh, our clothes still haven’t changed even now. This has never happened to us before.
It is refreshing that she doesn’t see us as a threat… but we are completely surrounded by walls.
I guess this is a tomb… It’s probably not made to be easy to get into. Anyway, let’s explore.

I can sense the Treasure at the top!
It seems to be at the heart of the pyramid…

Welp, time to keep climbin’ then. Let’s go.

That’s Futaba’s Shadow. It isn’t the real her.
Oh yeah, you’ve seen her face. True. This one’s kinda dressed like a queen.

She’s also got glowing yellow eyes, genius.
Also, I take exception to the “dressed like a queen” comment.

……

Yo, Futaba. Where’s the Treasure?

*silence*

Yeah, we’d prefer to get in-and-out here with minimal strife, so we’d greatly appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Hey, say somethin’.
*silence*

Maybe she’ll respond if we start shaking her violently. Here, I’ll start…

Don’t be like that!

Don’t be like what?
Like Ryuji, I assume.

I’m sorry, Futaba-chan. It’s okay, there’s no need to be scared. So, can you tell us where your most treasured possession is?
*silence*
*sigh* This is going nowhere.

All right, this has been a bust. Let’s just leave and look ourselves.
Shut up and stop antagonizing her!

Those who plunder my tomb. Why have you come?

She talked… but…

It was extremely ominous, yes, we heard.

What’re you sayin’? You want us to steal it, right?
If you believe you can steal it, then try as you might.
That’s rather defiant-sounding.
Perhaps this is that “tsundere” thing where someone is harsh or sweet depending on the mood.

…No, Yusuke. …Where did you even learn that word? You don’t seem like you’re into those kinds of shows.

Considering the state that my Palace is in… ...There is no way that you can steal it.

What are these voices?

Murderer?

This is horrible…
Hey, the hell is this?

Well, it seems to me to be a badly conceptualized portrayal of trauma, where instead of actually trying to properly depict the psychology of the matter, they’ve rifled through box of outdated mental illness tropes and picked out the ones they thought would work. This is why we hire consultants, folks!

…That’s right. I did it.
What?
I am the one who killed my mother.

Plot twist!
I don’t think that was literal, dumbass.

Music: High Pressure

What was that!?

I will remain here. I will do so until I die. *disappears*

She sees us as a threat now… What’s going on!?

And then Futaba hears all the voices again, yadda yadda, I already put them all in the images so I’m not transcribing them again.

...That’s right… I killed Mom. I don’t deserve to be alive… This place is a tomb… I’ll die here...

I lied, there is one new voice she hears now: “That’s right! Die!”

No…! Someone help me…

Eh, we seemed due for some bullshit complication like this.

This is bad—I’m having a hard time getting a grasp of our situation. We should regroup and—

Hmm, yep, right on schedule.

Oh crap…! Bad, bad, bad! Ruuuuuuuuuun!

Door locked behind us? Okay, that’s three misfortunes. I think we’re safe for now.

Now what!?
Even if we wanted to ask Futaba what’s going on, it seems the door is shut. What should we do?

This just got far more complicated… We should retreat for now and make preparations to return later.
Yeah, okay. …Wait, don’t we have to return to where we entered the Palace to leave?
Yeah, and…?
Well, we entered in the middle of a featureless desert with nothing around for miles.
……
Hope you guys remember which direction we came from!

(The real answer is probably just that the Nav tells you where you entered, honestly)

Daytime → Evening

The Phantom Thieves, whom they singled out, have not made any notable actions at this time. Will Medjed carry out their cyberterrorism?

We need to help Futaba before the 21st in order to stop Medjed, so our deadline will have to be the 19th in order to save enough time.
If we’re just gonna come here anyway, let’s make this place our new hideout instead of goin’ to Shibuya first.
You guys know sound carries in here, right? There’s a real good chance Sojiro finds out what we’re doing.
Eh, dude’s old, he probably can’t hear too good.
By the way, Ryuji. Be aware that I will enact vengeance for you creeping on me earlier. Not now, but when you least expect it.
Huh!? Wait, Maaku was doing it too!
Yeah, I dunno why I did that. It was as if some strange force was compelling me to, as if I was a wholly different person for the entire time we were in the Monabus… It’s almost like I was a poorly written character being handed off between different writers or something…
Yeah, nice try. You’re going down too.
gently caress.
At least Yusuke wasn’t looking down my goddamn bra.
I’m not actually sure that Yusuke knows what sex is.

Agh… Ngh… Mom…

…Man, this game is loving stupid sometimes.

Will Medjed truly follow through on their threat? Perhaps it’s a false alarm.
They’ll definitely act.

Alibaba!

>You don’t have to barge into our group texts unannounced, you know. You could just ask to be included like a normal person.
Don’t really think you’ve got any business telling people to “act normal,” dude.
Sounds boring. But that’s irrelevant. How much longer will this take?
Your heart ended up posing more of a problem than we anticipated.
Tough nut to crack, that one.
Yo, Alibaba! Can you really take down Medjed?
Yes.
Prove it. Take down a server or something.
Ryuji!
Please don’t start any trouble.
If that will convince you, then very well.
Oh dear…

I go to the page and it says the site doesn’t exist! My livelihood! It’s gone!
>Oh, I see. Funny prank, Futaba.
Huh!? What are you talking about? Anyway, I think Medjed did this! But we still have time until the cleanse! Wait, something came up! “Is this proof enough for you…?” Huh? What could it mean? Oh!
>Mishima, you’re spamming my texts. Calm down.
The site’s back, actually… I dunno what that was about, but I’m gonna look into it, okay?

Was that Alibaba proving what she said earlier? Talk about a crazy thing to pull off...

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

The Medjed homepage has posted a declaration of victory and an announcement of their next crime. This is thought to be yet another provocation against the Phantom Thieves, who have yet to respond.
They’re really getting carried away… Well, just you wait.

We’re going to make some curry for the Palace.

…This curry sure has a lot of ingredients, doesn’t it? Did I see you put fruit in there?

Huh… I never knew apples would go so well with spicy curry.

Sounds pretty good, now that I think about it. Man, I’m hungry.

You throw it all together with such gusto. Could it be that the secret ingredient is… confidence?

No, that’s stupid. Maaku gains Guts +1.

Nice! The curry’s smelling good… This’ll definitely be a hit!

Maaku eats a bite, then immediately wolfs down more and more.

That recipe sure has some love and care behind it. Try eating it in the Metaverse. Maybe it’ll heal your wounds.

There may come a time you’ll be asked to serve it to someone. Wouldn’t hurt to hone your skills. We should rest for now. Got a big day tomorrow.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 21, 2023

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The time pressure in this case continues to be so silly. "Breaking news: anonymous group which only communicates via ominous physical letters issues no press release after hacker threatens a random company".

Like, they could have put a deadline in with Sae calling Japanese CPS on Sojiro or something along those lines, but no, it's terrorism blackmail.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

I enjoy my Persona 3 references.

Arist posted:

Perhaps this is that “tsundere” thing where someone is harsh or sweet depending on the mood.

…No, Yusuke. …Where did you even learn that word? You don’t seem like you’re into those kinds of shows.

They are teenagers living in Japan. I imagine that even Yusuke would have heard of the term through osmosis even if he does not watch those kinds of shows.

Arist posted:

Yeah, I dunno why I did that. It was as if some strange force was compelling me to, as if I was a wholly different person for the entire time we were in the Monabus… It’s almost like I was a poorly written character being handed off between different writers or something…

I feel like this kind of event could have been driven by character choices. In game, Joker can have a harem and choose certain dialogue that make him perverted, but drawing different yet similar scenes is probably a bit much for the budget.

Arist posted:

At least Yusuke wasn’t looking down my goddamn bra.

I believe Yusuke was staring intensely at Makoto's back.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's also worth mentioning that Protagonist isn't wearing their glasses in the animated scene despite having them in gameplay.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
He's trying out a new look. It's kind of like wearing a yukata.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

So, wait. Makoto is leaning on the steering wheel. Why the gently caress is the handbrake way over on the opposite side of the car?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kith posted:

So, wait. Makoto is leaning on the steering wheel. Why the gently caress is the handbrake way over on the opposite side of the car?

Do not question the mechanics of Catbus

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

and never open the glovebox, no matter what

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kith posted:

I don't think that's meant to be a handbrake. For some reason, the Catbus has a comically oversized seat recliner lever, and that sent the front row of seats into the boys in the back. Judging by the rear window (and seating postitions), Maaku got knocked back so hard he smashed into the window with the back of his head. And most likely has a concussion, too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kith posted:

It's also worth mentioning that Protagonist isn't wearing their glasses in the animated scene despite having them in gameplay.

Aren't the protag's glasses supposed to be fake, like a style choice rather than something necessary for his vision? I seem to recall that being mentioned somewhere but maybe I'm misremembering. If so, it could be he just decided to take them off because of the heat. I remember back when I wore glasses (and I needed them) I used to take them off when I was sweating bullets sometimes because they just got uncomfortable. One of the reasons I switched to contacts.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They are explicitly fake in-game, yes

But that poo poo is not canon to the LP, four-eyes rise up

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

TwoPair posted:

Aren't the protag's glasses supposed to be fake, like a style choice rather than something necessary for his vision? I seem to recall that being mentioned somewhere but maybe I'm misremembering. If so, it could be he just decided to take them off because of the heat. I remember back when I wore glasses (and I needed them) I used to take them off when I was sweating bullets sometimes because they just got uncomfortable. One of the reasons I switched to contacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpRsZg20GOo

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TwoPair posted:

Yes, in game they're an attempt to be less threatening since he's on probation for nasty nasty crime boy crimes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 88: 7/26: Friend Of The Yakuza

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Daytime

So we have to find the Treasure by the 18th, and send the calling card by the 19th. It’s up to you when we go to the Palace, but keep the deadline in mind, all right?

All right, let’s get to work.

We’re getting this tutorial now for some reason.

So, as much as I would love to recreate the circumstances of the original LP, where we entered the Palace on the very first day and then Futaba slept for three full weeks, we have some stuff to take care of first. Don’t worry, she’ll still be in a coma for three weeks, but I wanted to spend the next few in-game days doing some housekeeping in terms of Confidant events and abilities we’ve been forced to put off. There’s one ability in particular that we’ll hopefully get in the next update that I really wanted to nab before we entered the Palace.

One of the things we’ll be doing before entering the Palace is seeing Iwai about that paper bag tonight. Thanks for the reminder, cat.

After issuing their second statement, people are concerned about an impending cyberattack. The Phantom Thieves, however, continue to remain silent.
This is really getting to be a big deal. I want to just go and take Medjed out, but…

Oh? You have a good look on your face. You can have this. Look at your face with it.

You actually are pretty smart, huh. You showed me. Studying is good and all, but men need to keep up their looks too. Looking clean is important.

…Is he calling us unkempt? I mean, we definitely are, but still!

(Tidy Old Man) Really? I guess young people these days have more backbone than I thought. Remember? When we were young, we’d speak out and take a stand against those in power, too.
(Talkative Old Man) That’s true, but… I don’t know if we can trust them.

(Radio Announcer) International hacker organization “Medjed” has made an official statement…
Yeah, and I couldn’t read it ‘cause it was in English. Well, it doesn’t really matter to me.

We’re going to buy Gambla Goemon from the secondhand shop.

(Gentle-Looking Mother) They’re people who use computers to do bad things, like steal people’s secrets.
Are they like the Phantom Thieves? Who do you think’d win in a fight, Kotaro?
(Lazy Dog) *whine*

Why is the director harassing us? We’ve been getting a lot of viewers!
(Young Cameraman) That’s why I wanted to stop going against them. At least this showdown is in the headlines…
Tch, we’re not high school reporters! Do you want the other news stations to get the real scoops before we do?

But the Phantom Thieves will surely win, so I give you my ballad… “Manly Firework”!

Emails, videos secret diaries
Things I don’t want people to see
Close up those Etchu loincloths
The fight is close at hand
Some things men can’t give away
Push through and bloom
Protect the final fort
Don’t lose everything

That was Japanese rock! What’d you think?

That’s right! The best thing about enka is the tremolooo!

(Man with Clear Eyes) Ahhh, I can feel it! The power of the Sun God flows through me…
However, the brighter the light, the larger the shadow. Darkness grows in the people’s hearts! The most extreme of this is Medjed! The incantation of ill will, born from the surge of darkness!

(Veteran Station Attendant) It’s good to see you unafraid to ask questions. What can I help you with?
I’ve been thinking about this all night. Who do you think will win, the Phantom Thieves or the hackers?
Oh for the love of… Look, I know it’s a real interesting debate, but you need to focus on your job.

(Veteran Pick-Up Artist) To enter the depths of a woman’s heart, you need a password. It’s what we call honeyed words… However, true pick-up artists never resort to force. We touch women’s hearts with skill alone!
S-Senpai… You’re too cool…!

Debatable.

Music: Layer Cake

It’d be great if those Phantom Thieves everyone’s talking about used guns as stylish as this. Though, would they even use guns? I have no clue.

There’s really no reason to think they would use guns. But you are correct, they do.

I can’t wait to spin the barrel of that Wildborn! Man, being patient is rough.

(Modest Housewife) There’s certainly nothing we can do. It’d be awful if Medjed set their sights on our company.
Exactly. Higher-ups like my hubby are who need to step in if things go south.
Sometimes, I’m relieved my husband hasn’t climbed so high in the ranks.

Y-Yeah… I’m all right… I get scared when I wake up every morning. I feel like… I feel like I’m not myself… Could the Phantom Thieves have done something to me? No… There’s no way…

It’s more like… my memory is hazy. Like I’m in some dream… It’s as if my brain… or the world itself gets completely rewritten… Could the Phantom Thieves have done something to me? No… There’s no way…

You’re a phantom thief, aren’t ya? They’re all the rage now! Find out more… after these messages!

This conversation with Fishy Hawker is, once again, a pseudo-branch where the first two choices here lead to slightly different versions of the same second choice. As usual, picking the ellipses option for either choice ends the conversation identically. I’ll show the entire branch because it only takes two interactions to do so.

Haha, whoa! You’re really into this! You really put the “fan” in phantom thief, don’t you? Just between you and me… Did you know the Phantom Thieves are recruiting right now? That’s right, phantom thief lessons are 90% off right now! We even offer easy payment plans!

Whaaat!? Don’t get so full of yourself! You gave me false hope for a minute there! Idiot kid, get outta here! As if someone like you could become a phantom thief!

And the second branch:

Huh? You’re not? Well, now you’ve got more than a ghost of a chance to become a real phantom thief! Just between you and me… Did you know the Phantom Thieves are recruiting right now? That’s right, phantom thief lessons are 90% off right now! We even offer easy payment plans!

So what’s your answer? Guess we’ll find out after these messages! These… messages… Psh. Idiot kid, ignoring me. Get outta here! As if someone like you could become a phantom thief!

We live in an era where we have to guard our computers from hackers. Could you survive identity theft? Right now, we’re having a promo sale of the best hacking detection software in the industry! Without it, you’d never know who might be trying to steal your personal information!

(Sharp Lawyer) Yeah, I need to prepare for these cases related to information leaks and unauthorized access. These corporate higher-ups are panicking. They’ve never even heard of Medjed till just now.
I suppose they have some pretty big secrets that they’d like to keep, hahaha!

(Bespectacled Taxi Driver) Oh, Medjed? They’re a group of hackers known around the world. They’ve caused trouble before. They target security holes in servers and extract information by accessing sites illegally…
I don’t really get it, but they’re basically outlaws, right? “Judgment of Justice,” my rear end.

(Kichijoji-Native Girl) You wouldn’t know it looking at Kichijoji. We’re so not cutting edge. It’s just business as usual.
But there’s supposed to be a lot of famous people living here. Manga artists, composers…
I’ve never seen anybody… I guess I wouldn’t recognize people like that, though.

The company I was working at survived, but it was a slaughterhouse elsewhere…
(Muhen) The bubble, huh… Brings back memories. That’s about the time I left home. If it weren’t for the former owner, I might have been a monk right about now.
Whoa! First time I’m hearing that one. Were you training to become a monk?
My home was a Buddhist temple. And my older brothers had no intention of taking over the business. It turns out, neither did I! I wanted to be free, and this is where I ended up. Still doing whatever I want.

It’s not that Yukari, guys, settle down.

(Mild-Mannered Dad) Huh? O-Oh, uh… She’s in our IT department… Because of what’s happening with Medjed, we wanted to beef up our cyber security, so…
(Trendsetting Mom) Hmmm… Is that why you call her so often? I mean, the only name in your call history is “Yukari-chan.”

I hate both of these people, so this is pure comedy.

Who cares? Can we go see the cast bus now!?

You know what rations are, my man? They say Japan makes the best rations.

And apparently there’s a vending machine from which you can buy one of them.

Already got it, my man.

Oh, it’s you! I’m happy to see you. And that must be the MRE Ration! Are you read to trade?

Thanks for your help. Here’s your Factorization Guide.

So this is the MRE Ration, made possible by Japan’s technology… This ration was once considered a feast for soldiers on the battlefield…But now it’s in hands of ordinary civilians. Thank you again. I look forward to another trade.

Bye, Sakai! I hope your incredibly strange child enjoys that military surplus!

Music: Butterfly Kiss

…But you don’t seem too concerned about it.

It’s almost complete. There’s something I want to test out. Could you head to the back?

It’s thanks to you that I was able to progress this far. Now you can drink this stuff no problem, right?

That’s right. I am now immune to all known poisons.

Unfortunately, this game does not contain the “poison” status effect, so it doesn’t make much of a difference.

Death Rank 7: Part 40

Are you going home already? Please, stay and eat an apple. An elderly patient of mine has been giving me a lot of them. I’ve been foisting them off on my clients, but I still have too many.
Hmm, sure. I’m usually unconscious by now and I could really use a snack if I’m going to be lucid for the next several hours until dinner. Or maybe I’ll just barf it up, who knows?

(Oyamada) I was in the neighborhood for a medical conference, so I decided to drop in. Is this a patient of yours?
I’m a science experiment!
I don’t actually care, kid. I’m here because I heard this woman stole one of my patients. A girl with bronchitis. Ring any bells?
Look, I told her father not to come to me, but the man insisted.
Even this long after your disgrace, you’re causing problems for me. They’re saying the care at a university hospital is inferior to a mere general practitioner! And what’s this about “original medicine”? That can’t be above-board! I was willing to overlook you rotting away in this tiny practice, but not if you’re going to keep being a pain in my rear end! This is your final warning: resign your medical license.

……

Hey, Takemi may use me as a human test subject and feed me nightmare juice until I pass out and make my skin crawl whenever she calls me her “little guinea pig”, but… I’m sorry, I forgot what my point here was.

Heh… nice try, kid.
If you’re so keen to defend this woman, maybe I should reveal her true identity: this woman is—
The Plague, yeah, I knew that already. Yawn. Got anything else?
She tortured an innocent young girl and exacerbated her condition with her unregulated medicine! I’m shocked you don’t seem to care, considering she’s clearly doing the same to you!
I’m seventeen, bucko. I will never die.
I’m sure that girl thought much the same before this woman came along. How does it feel knowing you’re responsible for her death?
Wait, you’re saying…?

Yes, she passed away.
No… You’re lying! She still had time! She was recovering!
Well, she totally is. Yep, she’s daba doop-doop dead. Welp, bye! If you steal my patients again I’ll kill your entire family!

Miwa-chan’s… dead…? No, no, no… But she’s all I’ve been working toward, all this time… Curing her was my only… There’s no way…

That guy seemed extremely full of poo poo. I understand you’re upset, but we should probably try to actually, you know, check for ourselves before jumping to conclusions.

…… What have I been doing all this time…? What was even the point…? I can’t…

Okay, let’s rest for now, before you start seriously questioning if making a lifesaving medicine was worth it because one patient died before it was ready. Just relax.

……Yeah, you’re right…

Thanks for your help, my little guinea pig…

Even under these circumstances, I’m still going to shudder. Eeurgh.

It feels like my bond with Takemi is growing even deeper…

All right, we finally unlocked our 50% discount.

How embarrassing for you to see me this way…
Oh, don’t worry, I’m still scared of you.
That’s good… You should head on home, though. We can continue another time.
I was promised an apple!

I feel like cooperating in that shady clinical trial has increased my Guts

Maaku gains Guts +1.

Take care…

Daytime → Evening

It is hard for me to even fathom what it could be.
People have really been up in arms about the whole cleanse thing…

Uhhh, sorry! My bad, dude!
No matter how you look at it, we need a countermeasure.
Our best bet would be Alibaba…
But she may not be capable of it in her current state.
I guess we should think of some other ways too then.
Yes, it would be best to have as many solutions as possible.
Well we still got time, so let’s come up with something good, k?

They’re never going to come up with any alternative ideas here, but you already knew that.

Ah, what about the beach? I could buy a new swimsuit!
There’s nothing to do at the beach, and it’s going to be hot. We should just go to the movies.

It’d be a pain if he dropped by again… Well, I don’t have time to deal with him anyway.
I feel like my bond with Sojiro will grow stronger soon, but… It looks like there’s still a problem with the man who stopped by earlier…
Is the chief worried about something…? It looks like we’ll have to wait until he settles things.

Gonna buy three Mega Fertilizers because we’re out. In the process of doing so I nearly bought forty by accident, which would have depleted our entire savings.

(Show-Biz Veteran) Look, I get it, I really do. You’re a little nervous, sure, but you gotta do this to win people’s hearts. You know, I wanted to be a singer, too, so when you’re following your dreams, it reminds me of myself.
You did, Mr. Asakura? You were just like me? Well then, I guess I can trust you!

No! Fly, you fool!

(Stylish Part-Timer) Oh, the knees had holes in ‘em, so I cut ‘em up and turned ‘em into cleaning rags!
…That was a vintage pair of jeans. A very expensive pair of jeans. There are denim connoisseurs all over the world who’d empty their life savings for certain styles. I’ll have to take it out of your pay. In the meanwhile, you should work on developing an eye for fashion.
What!? B-But those jeans were full of holes!

Not that teachers get to relax much. Still got piles of paperwork…

What about you? How’d you find your wife?
(Sake Reporter) *chuckle* I met her at my favorite izakaya back in my college days. Guess it was love at first sight.
That sounds like something you’d do—meeting someone at an izakaya. You have a little one, too, right?
Yeah, I got a little boy. But my wife took ‘im when she left me. Got tired of me bein’ drunk all the drat time, she said… *hiccup*

Yikes…

(Reserved College Student) We’re not kids anymore, y’know… Shouldn’t you be prepping for corporate interviews or something? Also, how’d you do on the finals? Did you even study?
Haha… Exams, jobs—it’s all just information warfare, maaan! My skills’ll put Medjed to shame!

Reserved College Student is still apparently too busy to show up for his half of this conversation. I hope he’s all right.

(Elderly Office Worker) They have likely given up. No one has been able to discover their true identities. Which means we must rely on the Phantom Thieves. Though, I doubt they’ll be amenable.
Regardless, they’re garnering a lot of attention… So, shall we put an ad on the news station?

(Tired Office Worker) From what I remember, Medjed attacked whatever it didn’t like. That group caused a lot of damage.
But isn’t this the first time they targeted Japan for a full-scale attack?
That’s all because the Phantom Thieves appeared. I can’t stand getting dragged into this.

(Foreign Barker) Hell no! No one knows who Medjed is… Oh… Is blaming foreigners for things common in Japan?

Buddy, it’s common everywhere. :(

Are you mocking my country? You better shut your mouth before you piss me off!

(Adorable Woman) They’re called Medjed, and they’re hackers. Anyway, they only target corporations.
Yer gonna get yourself in real hot water, bein’ so careless. If ya want, I can stand guard tonight.
Yeah, yeah…

This doesn’t involve you. …If I play my cards right, I can get the Phantom Thieves to take the blame for my work… Aw, what the hell!? Get outta here, go somewhere else!

Hmph… Some old bastard tried to muscle in on my territory, so I gently silenced him. If you don’t want the same to happen to you, you stay away from that trash bin. It’s a different story if you’ve got a request for me though… Heh heh.

All right, with all that eavesdropping out of the way, let’s go see a man about a bag.

So, what’re you here for?

S’that right?

…I had a customer who was interested in it. You helped me out by smugglin’ it outta here so that I didn’t get caught by those detectives.

Happy to help, man.

Little less happy about the implicit blackmail threat, though, I gotta say.

Huh…

Iwai looks around the store hesitantly, though it’s a little weird because no one else is here to eavesdrop on us.

…… …Wanna talk in the back?

Hanged Man Rank 1: Part 85

…Who the hell are you?

There’s really no non-concerning way to phrase this, so I’ll come right out with it: I really like guns.
Is that so? You don’t really seem like an expert to me… ‘Sides, it took you what, two, three months to work up the nerve to talk to me about that bag? I bet you were just about pissing yourself trying to work up the nerve.
My complete lack of mental fortitude has no bearing on how much I like guns!
…My point bein’, you don’t seem like the type to get into artillery in the first place. But I don’t sell any real goods, so you’d have to be some kind of interested to come here at all. And if you were working with the cops you woulda done something with that bag months ago, so I don’t see the harm in playin’ along.

…Wait a sec. *chuckle* Yeah, this could work.

You’re here because you want access to the secret menu, right? Well, I’ve got a… proposition for you.
I’m listening.
First things first though: you better have the cash for it. This poo poo gets expensive. I’m talking hundreds of thousands of yen per unit. Maybe even millions, dependin’ on my mood.
That’s just the vagaries of capitalism, baby, I’m used to that poo poo.
However… I ain’t a bad dude. I’ve been known to compromise… when there’s something in it for me, anyway. Here’s my deal: you help me out with my “business”, and I don’t break your legs.
…Wait, what?
Whoops, sorry kid, that just slipped out. Sometimes I need the stick for some more intense customers, but we’ll stick with the carrot for you. What I meant to say was, help me out here and I’ll give you access to the special menu—and with a discount, since I’m feelin’ so generous.
You seem really sketchy and I’m intuiting that this deal will involve me breaking the law in some fashion. So basically, there’s no downside! I’m in!
Glad to hear it. I’ve been in need of a pawn of my own… Gotta fight evil with evil.
Happy to be in business with you.
I’ll work on that special menu for you. Be grateful.

I’ve made a deal with Iwai… I should be able to ask him to customize guns for me now, in exchange for helping him out...

Music: Interrogation Room

Hey, this airsoft gun you had in your bag was sick as hell, where’d you get it?
It’s dope, right? But sorry, I can’t give up my supplier. Dude’s hardcore. He’d probably find a way to kill me in here if I gave him up, and I only need one assassination attempt on my plate tonight, thank you.
drat… playing with facsimiles of actual firearms seemed like the perfect way to blow off some steam…
Don’t worry about it. Gimme a call later, I’ll hook you up.
I would do that… if there was any likelihood of you ever seeing the outside of a prison cell again.
Bogus!

Music: The Spirit

And now we can finally customize our guns. This is much, much more useful than it was in the original game, but we’ll see more of it in the next update so I won’t go into it too much here.

So what’s my first assignment?
I don’t have any business right now, so… chores!
This enterprise is much less exciting than I was led to believe.

When I text you from that ID, it’ll be ‘cause I need help around the shop.

If you want somethin’, you’re gonna have to work for it.

I’ll send a message when everything’s ready. Hope I can count on you, kid. Okay, that’s it for today. Head on home, part-timer.

Huh…? Who could that be at this hour?

The café is cool and quiet, and it’s relaxing with the “Sayuri” there. It’s a peaceful place. I’m thinking of relaxing and reading a book. Moreover, we can easily meet up should something occur. We can kill two birds with one stone. Don’t worry if you already have plans. I’ll be stopping by either way. If you’d like, we could spend some time together.
Yusuke’s coming tomorrow, huh? Might be nice to hang out with him. *yawn* I’m going to bed…

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Are you going to capitalize on the Summer Mammoth Lottery?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Flair posted:

Are you going to capitalize on the Summer Mammoth Lottery?

...I don't know what that is!

e: I looked it up and there's apparently a special lottery during July only! I guess I'm gonna show that off eventually!

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 28, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 89: 7/27-7/28: Custom Order (New)

Anon: I can’t read English ;_;

Daytime

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Sounds like Yusuke’s here. Come on, let’s go downstairs.

(Reporter) Right now, we’re here at the planetarium in Ikebukuro! Looking up and seeing a sky full of stars is so romantic. And the atmosphere here is so soothing!
(Pundit) Such a magical place. If you want to get closer to someone, this is the date spot to visit.
(MC) We’ve got one more place to introduce in our summer special feature! You’ve been living under a rock if you’ve never heard of this one. It’s Destinyland in Maihama! As usual, it’s packed with people. It’s a captivating world of dreams and hope!
(Pundit) I’ve always dreamed of going there with a girlfriend. It really feels like a place of destiny.

(Middle-Aged Office Worker) Why us? They can’t expect to gain any notoriety by targeting a small business like ours.
Do you think they’re calling out the Phantom Thieves just to get publicity? It seems like everyone’s talking about it.
How should I know? Hey, let’s head out after you finish drinking that. We gotta get some work done.

Sorry, Yusuke! We’re busy today.

Maybe I’ll stock up on some rain ponchos for next time.

We’re stopping in at Iwai’s to go over the new gun customization options.

We don’t have any good weapons to futz with at the moment, so we’ll have to purchase some. I buy this Eliminator for Maaku…

…And then I’m treated with this additional confirmation to customize. Let’s “Do it”.

We have two options at present: Long Barrel, which improves accuracy, and Power Receiver, which increases damage. The customization options are the same for all guns (except certain unique guns we get from the Electric Chair won’t have certain options we’ll unlock later in Iwai’s Confidant). In vanilla P5, the gun customizations were all just variants with pre-determined stats. The way customization works now is a little different. Now, we select one of a list of modifiers that will change the stats or effect of a gun.

Anyway, we’ll go with POWER RECEIVER.

We also get Ryuji a new shotgun, but he’s got so few shots with it that I opt to go for the Long Barrel instead.

Finally, I buy Yusuke a new rifle and slap a Power Receiver on it. We don’t need to go into the specific stats, it’s just better. Unfortunately, our coffers are pretty drained by now, so Morgana, Ann, and Makoto will have to do without for now.

…Uh yeah, sure, whatever you say, man. What the gently caress? I have to maintain these things? They’re not even real!

While we’re taking care of business, let’s get Makoto to Rank 4. We can’t do much else today anyway due to the rain.

*sigh* Now? I guess if that’s really what you want to do… Is this a part of your grand strategy?

Hm. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to take things a little slower. …If you have time, there’s something I’d like to talk to you about.

I feel like I just don’t know anything anymore… Um, let’s talk more in the student council room. We can get in through the back entrance.

Priestess Rank 4: Part 65

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

So, my class had a practice entrance exam… and my score was significantly lower than last time. I’m concerned…

That’s unusual for you. You’re a huge nerd, after all.
…I suppose. I think it has to do with my doubts about my future. I’ve been questioning the point of it all, of meeting the expectations that have been set for me. I talked to Eiko about it and I still don’t have an answer…
Eiko? Shitshitshit, who is that? Is that one of the Phantom Thieves? Think, Maaku! There’s what, five members that aren’t you? And two of them are girls, yeahyeahyeah. The nerd is the one sitting in front of you, who’s the other one? …gently caress, you can’t remember!
……
She’s waiting for an answer, you’re out of time! Just play it cool, go with a vague pseudo-question!
…Hm?
Oh, did you not catch Eiko’s name before? She’s the girl we asked about her job at the salon in Shinjuku.
Okay, whew, it’s someone we neither know nor care about. False alarm.
Eiko and I have been keeping in contact since then. We’re actually kinda close. I shared my concerns about my future and she asked how going to a top university would benefit me. I didn’t have an answer. She doesn’t have the best grades herself, but she says her parents can just get her a job. It’s a pretty irresponsible approach to your future, but it’s a lot clearer than my own.
You need to consider your long-term goals. For instance, I want to one day join the high-stakes world of competitive eating, and I’m already making strides towards that goal over at Big Bang Burger.
Some of that was relevant to me if I really squint. I guess I have to reassess where I’m going. I was content to just follow my sister’s path, but maybe there are more important things than being an honor student.
Hell yeah! Let’s commit some *crimes!*

There’s Eiko texting me now. She must have known I was talking about her.
Creepy.
She asked me about some hand cream I used, apparently it’s the same stuff they use in the nurse’s office.
Hm, yes, riveting story.
My dad used to use the same kind… before he died.
…Not where I thought the conversation was headed. Jeez.
My father was a police officer, you know. He had an unmatched sense of justice, and detested corruption. When I was little, I told him I wanted to be a police officer just like him.
Uhhh… Is this going to be an issue for us, going forward?
Oh, don’t worry. After everything, I have no intention of working with the police… at the moment, at least. Besides, they’re trying to stop the Phantom Thieves. I can’t very well arrest myself. But thinking it over, I do need to reexamine my goals for the future. Thanks for your… help. Even if you weren’t very helpful.
It’s cool. People tend to just talk at me for several minutes before having life-changing epiphanies without me saying or doing much. I’m pretty awesome that way.

I can sense a quiet resolve from Makoto…

Eiko’s really been helping me broaden my horizons. Like, I didn’t know different names for clothes before, and now I do!
Makoto, I mean no disrespect—at least not in this specific sentence—but you’re an extremely boring person.
Anyway, thanks again for today. See you later.

Daytime → Evening

Anon: criminal catfight, eh
Anon: namedropping medjed, lol…
Anon: yeah yeah, it’s all a setup

I’m sure the Phantom Thieves will do something about it…
We don’t even know who Medjed is… What can they do about it?
August 21st is the deadline, right? I can’t wait!
Aw man, we have to wait a whole month?

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

Crosswords are here!

Too easy.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

One thing I noticed while recording this is that the dots next to a character’s level in the stat screen will change into little stars to acknowledge which characters can Showtime with each other. It’s nifty.

Music: Time to Repent

We go to see Hifumi, but it seems like she’s busy…

What are you gonna do? Are you gonna talk to Hifumi?

Star Rank 3: Part 82

…Huh? Um, please wash it.
I can’t believe that you’re really here… in a church… I read on the internet that you pray to God for victory. Is that true?
No…
Can I take a selfie with you and post it online?
Sorry, I’ve been turning down all such requests…
By the way, is it true that you’re trying to become a professional shogi player?
Well, nothing’s been…

I want to taste your family. Well, bye!
…Thank you.

Men like that approach me all the time. At first, I thought you were one of them…

No sweat. I’m told I have a naturally sketchy demeanor.

…I really must apologize for being rude to you… It bothers me when people make such a big fuss over me… Considering that the priest is doing me a great favor by letting me play here.

The priest is my shogi friend, you see.
Oh… I thought I was your shogi friend…
He’s very kind, and he doesn’t laugh at my embarrassing playing habit. He once told me that he wanted to play professionally.
I don’t laugh either! Well, not much, anyway.

So… I did the photoshoot. I’m embarrassed just thinking about it… Did you see it…? It was called “The Venus of Shogi”...

I don’t really read magazines… Or anything, really…

Ever since I won the female shogi league, I’ve been getting a lot of attention.

I was hoping I could use that attention to contribute to the shogi world… and it’s also making my mother happy… Whenever I win, it’s like she won herself, but she’s been going a bit too far lately, with the photoshoot and interview. It’s like she wants to be my manager instead of my mother.
Is that difficult for you?

…A bit. …But it’s fine, because it’s for my mother.

Oh, I’m sorry! You didn’t come here to listen to me ramble. I should be teaching you about shogi.
What? Oh, right. Shogi. That’s… why I’m here. Yep.
Today, I’ll teach you a move to properly utilize the pawns you keep in reserve. But still, I apologize. You’re a very good listener. I haven’t told anyone besides the priest about my mother…
Less a good listener, and more an atrocious talker. They’re pretty much the same thing.

I feel Hifumi’s trust in me growing…

Now then, I will instruct you while we play. Are you ready…?
I feel like playing shogi with Hifumi has helped sharpen my Knowledge

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Well then, I look forward to our next match.

Um… I ended up feeling much better after sharing my concerns with you.

If that is the case, I can only hope to repay you through my lessons.

Teaching you is also a great learning experience for me, as it leads to a deeper understanding of myself.

If I’m at the hideout, I can move out whenever. Oh. I’ll bring some manga, so you don’t need to worry about me. If you got stuff to do, you can just ignore me! Seeya!
Ryuji’s coming over tomorrow, huh? It’s going to be noisy all day… *yawn* I’m going to sleep…

Anon: I agree, it’s false justice

Daytime

Anon: this’ll blow up
Anon: poo poo + poo poo = poo poo sandwich
Anon: im staying out of this poo poo
Anon: Medjed must be bored
Anon: Go go Phantom Thieves~!

I don’t get it… Are they just going to ignore them?
I’m sure they’re working on it!
We’re gonna be in trouble if they don’t do anything…
I wish they’d take care of it already…

It’s her again!
How much longer are you going to make me wait? Do you not care about me reporting you to the police?
Whoa, slow down! Just give us a little more time.
I can’t do that.
We’re trying our best here.
If you truly cannot wait any longer, go ahead and report us.
Hey!
Hmph. Maybe I can give you a little more time.
Maybe!?

Bluff called. Nice job, Yusuke. We’re not going to make Futaba wait too much longer, though. This should be the last day of prep we need.

Alibaba doesn’t know what’s happening, so I’m sure she’s getting anxious… We’ll just have to try and appease her for a while…

Sounds like Ryuji’s here. Come on, let’s go downstairs.

According to experts, there are many corporations that could be potential targets. Companies managing public transport and other utilities are pressured to take countermeasures.
Medjed is so creepy. They’re really making a big mess out of all this.

Not sorry, Ryuji! Got some important business to take care of.

It’s really sunny today, so be sure to stay hydrated!

We’re hanging with Kasumi today!

I don’t know if I’d be able to handle this on my own, you know?

Now, we’d better get going. The item in question is in Kichijoji. Shall we?

Music: What’s Going On?

I’ve been wanting to come here for a while, but I never had the chance to drop by.

You seem like a real glasses buff, so I wanted to get your advice.

“Glasses buff?” I’m not sure that’s a real thing. Also, just because I wear glasses doesn’t mean I know anything about styles. I own this pair and that’s it.

Could you try on a couple pairs for me? I’d like to get some visual reference.

What do you think?

This could be a good one… Hmm…

Hmm, right—maybe a little too hip for my dad. But your input’s been really helpful so far! Would you mind poking around with me for a bit longer?

Let’s pick up the pace!

A lot of them are good, but none of them have really clinched it for me yet…

You know, you’re right! I’m the one who has to make this call!

I don’t know how to describe it. It just seems perfect for my dad somehow.

I ended up with a great present. All thanks to you, Hamiru-senpai!

*giggle* Well, I’ve still got to make it up to you. Let’s go practice at Inokashira Park after this!

Know that feel.

All I could think of was what’d happen if I couldn’t choose, or if I chose wrong… I mean, I already failed in gymnastics. And my cooking turned out bad, too. After cracking under pressure so many times, I kind of figured I’d just ruin everything again. The more I thought about it, the more… empty I felt. Like I wasn’t even me anymore.

I think I’m starting to understand what my coach was telling me. It’s easy to say you’re in a slump, and write yourself off. But maybe “finding out who I really am” is also about finding new depths to myself. It does make me feel a little down, but at the same time, I feel like I’m closer to getting my confidence back. And having your support makes me even more determined to make that happen.

I want to give my best performance, but it’s like I’d be doing it for you as much as for myself… o-or something like that!

I can sense a strong trust from Kasumi…

Oh boy, Chaînés Hook. The purpose of this move is to make me gently caress around with special characters every time I need to write it out give us a long-range ambush tool.

It says “slightly further away,” but the ambush range was pretty decent already, so Chaînés Hook is a nice boost.

And Chaînés Hook also inflicts status ailments on enemies when it’s used! What’s not to like?

This upgrade is the majority of the reason I decided to delay starting the next Palace, and now that we’ve gotten it, there’s nothing stopping us from heading in.

After stretching, I trained with Kasumi. Thanks to Kasumi’s training, I feel like my stamina increased.

Let’s stop there. Good effort today! I should get going. I’ll contact you again soon!

So I already gave my dad the glasses we picked out today.

And thanks to you, I even feel like my gymnastics are going to go better now. I’m sick of wasting my time worrying. Whatever I’m up against, I’m just gonna give it my best shot.

Okay, I’d better go. I hope we can talk again later!

Daytime → Evening

“Destructive damage to the Japanese economy”… But wasn’t it dead to begin with?
(Diligent Office Worker) Haha, I’m sure the big companies are in a panic. I don’t think that’s an empty threat, either.
What are the Phantom Thieves going to do? Well, it’d be funny if they ended up running away from this.

(Rebellious Grade Schooler) Mine say that too. They say he’s famous and that everyone likes him because he studied so much.
I think the Phantom Thieves are way cooler than him. They’re gonna fight hackers next, right?
Being a hacker would be cool, too. We could steal the answers for all our tests. Anyway, I wonder who’s gonna win. This is gonna be even cooler than Featherman!

It’sh Obon, so I’ll do you a shpecial favorrrr. Jus’ lemme know… who ya wanna meet.

Oh, them? They’re faaamoush! Urp… Okay. H-Here I go… Heyyy, Imma phannom thief! I’m going to steal your hea… W-Wait, who was I supposhed ta impershonate again?

Oh, those h-hackersh are no good! They pop out and shurprise you… outta nowhereeee. Pineapple! Shee? Surprises’re bad. Hackersh hide like yucky candy, mished in wi’ the good stuff.

We have to pop into the Velvet Room real quick to grab a Persona.

Music: Aria of the Soul

While I’m there though, I realize I have this Izanagi Picaro I’m definitely never using because it’s incredibly OP. So… why not throw it into the Electric Chair?

We get a Growth 2 skill card out of it. Nice.

Music: Crossroads

I don’t really mind it, but keep yourself in check, okay?

Ohya’s only at Rank 1 still, so let’s hang with her for this free night.

Speaking of which, the public’s starting to warm up to the Phantom Thieves. Your favorites!

Sit down. I’ll treat ya.

For real? From the look of it, you must have good info, huh? Give me the details of the Kamoshida incident.

Devil Rank 2: Part 65

So the calling card they used for Kamoshida was different…

That’s some good intel. Got any photos of it?
Uh, maybe Mishim—
Oh, that kid? Great, I’ll call him right away.

*chuckle* But seriously, the “Phantom Thieves of Hearts”? They sound like kids on a playground, not valiant fighters for society… I mean, they act all high and mighty, but I’m not sure they’re really worth very much in the end.

That’s… fine… I’m not mad. Please don’t put it in the newspaper that I got mad.
What, did I touch a nerve? You think they’re real heroes, don’t you? That’s rich! Trust me, kid, there’s no clearer sign of deception than goodwill. Corporations use charitable donations for tax breaks, the Nobel Peace Prize gets given to the biggest warmongers… it’s all a sham. The Phantom Thieves are no different.
C’mon, Ohya, don’t be such a downer. You used to be so positive…
Shut it, Lala! Enough about the past!

…Gimme some sushi.
We’re all out. …Hey, why don’t you go back to covering politics?

I got “permanently reassigned” to the culture and entertainment department, remember?
It’s been over a year since the incident and you’re still on thin ice, huh? Your company really sucks.
Ooh, I’m sensing some history here…
Ixnay in front of the source, moron!

Urgh, dammit! I’m already sobering up. Gimme a refill, Lala-chan!
…Geez, you’re such a child sometimes.

Hey, kid, wanna drink?

…AHEM.
Whoa… That’s some scowl you’ve got.

Kid, why are you even coming to a bar if you can’t drink?
For the article, genius. I feel like I was pretty clear about that.
Oh, yeah! You’re a true believer! Well, you’ve been pretty useful, so keep the info coming! I may not believe in them, but there’s tons of gullible saps who do!

I feel like my bond with Ohya is growing deeper…

Lala! I demand more beer!

I was able to pique Ohya’s interest with stories of the Phantom Thieves… I feel like my Charm has increased…

Maaku gains Charm +2.

See ya later… Don’t forget to bring me more juicy info, ‘kay?

Well, there’s now nothing stopping us from heading into the Palace tomorrow!

A work acquaintance gave me some tickets to an aquarium. It’d be a waste to let them go unused, no? Would you like to come along?

...Goddammit Akechi! HE KNEW! He knew we were going to the Palace tomorrow! This is all part of his master plan to thwart us!

We’ll decide what to do about this interloper tomorrow.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 21, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

A work acquaintance gave me some tickets rto an aquarium. It’d be a waste to let them go unused, no? Would you like to come along?

Typo

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Look at fish with Akechi, what could go wrong!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arist posted:

We have two options at present: Long Barrel, which improves accuracy, and Power Receiver, which increases damage. The customization options are the same for all guns (except certain unique guns we get from the Electric Chair won’t have certain options we’ll unlock later in Iwai’s Confidant). In vanilla P5, the gun customizations were all just variants with pre-determined stats. The way customization works now is a little different. Now, we select one of a list of modifiers that will change the stats or effect of a gun.

Iwai's face here is cracking me up

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

rannum posted:

Iwai's face here is cracking me up

Hey kid, did you just eat a whole hamburger?

ScarlettP
Oct 2, 2021
Hey, Arist! Long-time lurker, etc., etc. Your LPs are comfort reads for me and really help me regulate the serotonin in my broken brain, so thank you!

On my I-don't-know-how-many-th readthrough of this thread I came across this comment (from more than two years ago) and I have to put in my two cents, FWIW.

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a theory that Ann is Finnish and the hosed up pronunciation of "Takamaki" the game uses reflects the pronunciation of the Finnish surname "Takamäki".

That wouldn't work, because in Finnish the emphasis is always on the first syllable of a word. So it would be pronounced "TAH-kamehki". So they're pronouncing it weird no matter what.

ScarlettP fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 3, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 90: 7/29: Next Time On… (New)

This update covers content from Parts 74-76 of the original LP.

Anon: is medjed worse than mafia?

Early Morning

There’s actually something I think I should tell you… But I can’t make up my mind. …Sorry, never mind. Forget what I said.
I’m eating now. Maybe I should respond later…

Just be sure to drink it while it’s still warm, all right? The temperature affects the flavor.
Let’s just enjoy the chief’s coffee for now. We can leave that message for later.

Early Morning → Daytime

The popular high school Detective Prince will be talking about the ongoing feud between the Phantom Thieves and Medjed.
Well, these are my thoughts…

How Akechi be on teevee when he go aquarium now also?
It’s prerecorded.
Guh???

(Elderly Female Customer) Ah, okay, so they’re terrorists. What are these hackers trying to do to us?
They’re… Ah, you know. They’re planning on doing some pretty bad stuff.

We’re not actually going to spend today at the aquarium, but I feel like I should at least show this event, so I’m going to do it and then reload my save.

Glad to hear it. The place is in Shinigawa. I’ll send you directions, so let’s meet up there.
Guys’ night out at the aquarium, huh? Well, that should be fun. I guess it’s not that weird.

Why would you even call it weird? I don’t understand. We’re just gonna be two bros, chilling at the aquarium, five feet apart because we’re extremely gay. Well, Akechi might be, at least. Maaku defies categorization. Also, cat, it’s the middle of the day, what the gently caress are you talking about?

Music: What’s Going On?

Sorry for dragging you along.

The third choice here is just hilarious to me. It’s like the game is screaming into my ear with cupped hands, “NO HOMO!”

This suits you, huh? I wasn’t sure if you were the type.

Oh hey, Ohya’s here! We can all hang out and be gay together!

And we even got the second Detective Prince here, too—

Oh, sorry…

I invited him out, we’re fairly close, after all.

Aww, how sweet. We’re “fairly close.”

Oh, uh… Don’t mind me. I’m just a reporter. He helps me with my articles sometimes.

And unlike you, he’s pretty hardline anti-Phantom-Thieves, right? Mind if I ask a couple questions about you two?

Sure thing: No, we are not going steady. At least, not yet. This is currently strictly a preliminary test of our mutual compatibility.

Heheh, I was just kidding. I’m no model journalist, but I’m not dumb enough to pry into a high schooler’s private life. I thought this report would be boring, but I got a nice surprise out of it. Well, see you next time I need info.

And if I heard right, you two have some sort of professional agreement?

Haha, you’re just making it seem more suspicious!

Thanks for coming out today. We should head home.

We just got here!

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

Most likely the Phantom Thieves simply don’t have a means of confronting them. After all, Medjed is quite different from anyone they’ve gone up against thus far. It seems their best option is to reveal their identities before more people are needlessly harmed.
He really hit us where it hurts… We’re going to beat them, though!

Man, Akechi sure is on TV a lot. When did he even have time to film this today? Wait, is that why he skipped out on the aquarium date early!? What a jerk!

Anyway, time to reload that save we made earlier today so we can head into the Palace.

Daytime

Yeah, gently caress off, Akechi!

(Doting Father) So were you able to brag to all your friends?
None of my friends are around… Everyone went on a trip with their families.

It’s pretty obvious to me at this point that this drat kid is just looking for excuses to hang out with his dad. Cute, but also annoying. Be less needy, child!

Yeah, yeah, you said that last time.

We’re here for Money Reading, duh. We are extremely low on funds at the moment, as you can see in that screenshot. Probably shouldn’t have bought so much at Untouchable.

Okay, let’s read your money fortune.

Hm… fate… Is this… money…? This tells me that, ultimately, you’ll obtain more money than usual. Hopefully you have a payday coming soon.

Boy, do we!

That’s all for today’s money fortune reading.

Time to head back to the hideout.

Are we meeting up at the hideout? Or are you hoping to get a little catnap in?

…Battle tactic? Ohhh, you mean the stuff we talked about before the summer festival, right? Yup, still got it.
Very good.
What are you guys talking about?
We’re simply discussing how it’s important to spice up our battle tactics here and there.
Spice up your…?
Eh, don’t worry about it! We’ve got something crazy to show you later!

What if the space outside a Palace looked just like reality?
That could never happen, shut up.
Hey, what if a Palace was, like, flyin’ through the clouds or something?
That could never happen, shut up.
We just did one like that!

But it’s true that an observant criminal could have a true to reality city in their Palace. …Although even if such a place did exist, it’s not like we’d have any use for it.

Foreshadowing!!!!!

When last we left our heroes, they were just about to enter Futaba’s Palace! What strange and exciting new adventures await the Phantom Thieves inside this massive pyrami—okay, look, I know we’re kind of already doing the “Kai” thing with all the dialogue condensing I’ve been partaking in, but this is probably the least changed Palace yet, which is really saying something. Therefore, I’m just going to skip through a lot of this as fast as I can because it’s legitimately not very interesting. I’ll instead try to focus more on explaining the actual experience of moving through the Palace and my current goals for the day. I say “try,” but I dunno how much of that I even have to share. We’ll see. I just really don’t want to go too in-depth with this Palace because it’s boooooooring.

That proves she sees us as a threat now. Let’s be careful!

First thing we’re doing here is going into the Velvet Room and grabbing a Sui-Ki from the Inmate Registry to cover the shameful lack of Ice coverage in Joker’s Persona lineup. I only mention this at all because this leaves us with almost no money for anything else, only 6k. We are therefore going to be doing whatever we can to get more money to last us through the rest of this summer, at least until our next Mementos trick. That means pleading for money once or twice in negotiations, then following up with a Money Reading to maximize our gains.

We need to find another entrance to get past this door.

When we try to leave, Shadow Futaba calls out to us.

Shadow Futaba points us to the bandit town in the distance to retrieve… something, I don’t remember.

Well, let’s go.

Let’s try out Chaînés Hook on this Shadow to ambush it from slightly further away.

Yep, that did the trick!

And we start battle with one of these Anzu afflicted with a status ailment, nice. Anzu is weak to Gun and Nuke, Strong against Electricity, and Repels Wind. It knows Garula (Medium Wind), Masukukaja (Group Agility up), and Assault Dive (Heavy Physical).

Sandman is a Shadow weak to Fire and Electricity, and Strong against Wind. Its only skill as an enemy is Dormina, which it can use to inflict Sleep. It can also try to flee from battle.

Encounter the bandit…

Skull yells at them and makes them flee…

Run around in a circle until we corner them…

Corner them…

He turns into a bird… riveting stuff, folks!

Not even going to bother making a joke about the bad font here, because it would have been terrible.

Okay, now we return the papyrus and she tells us to keep it. It’s a map, by the way.

Also she disappears and tosses us down a pit like she’s loving Patches.

Music: Run, Run, Run!

Now we have to swim out of this quicksand…

We’re then dumped in that big square room that flares out as it goes higher like… well, an inverted pyramid. This room is pretty annoying to traverse now because they’ve added a few one-way drops and grapple points to make navigating it a little confusing.

Lamia is strong against Gun and Electricity, weak to Ice and Nuclear, and nullifies Curse. It uses Rising Slash (Heavy Physical), Agilao (Medium Fire), Foul Breath (increases one foe’s ailment susceptibility), Ominous Words (inflicts Despair) and can summon another Lamia.

Neat, the fusion alarm is happening. We’ll check back in on the Velvet Room in a bit.

Naga is resistant to Gun, nullifies Electricity, and is weak against Wind. It uses Power Slash (Medium Physical), Zionga (Medium Electricity), and Mazio (AOE Light Electricity). It also has Shock Boost and Counter, which means it will get more Shock ailments inflicted on us and has a 10% chance of repelling Physical attacks.

Skull learns Zionga here, which he slots in to replace Zio.

Panther also learns Diarama, which she replaces Dia with.

Yoshida’s Rank 8 Confidant ability lets us finally skip negotiation every once in a while, which is nice.

We’re almost to the first checkpoint.

The “dog” Shadows in this Palace take the form of Thoth, which is weak to Psy, resistant to Curse, and nullifies Nuke and Bless. It uses Megido (Medium Almighty), Freila (Medium Nuclear), Taunt and Reverse Rub (both inflict Rage, but Reverse Rub is enemy-exclusive and has a 100% hit rate), and Concentrate (next magic attack used does 2.5x damage). Unfortunately, this Shadow is too high a level for us to grab during this visit.

Meanwhile, the high-level red Shadow for this Palace is Anubis, which has been overhauled a bit from vanilla. I’ll explain how in a second. For now, just know that it resists Gun and Psychokinesis and nullifies Bless and Curse.

Let’s take some precautions by using Queen’s Vault Guardian skill she received from having the Ring of Gluttony equipped. It’s just a slightly cheaper Marakukaja, but it does have a unique animation…

It’s a pretty cool animation, too! Unfortunately, it repeats for all four party members, so it goes on for like 12 seconds each time you use it. Kinda takes the wind out of it.

So, Anubis’ scales are tipping toward Curse. This means it will either use Mudoon to attempt to Curse insta-kill one of us, or Maeiga, which is Medium Curse damage to all of us. If the scales tip toward Bless, then it’s a Hamaon or Makouga, the Bless equivalents. Pretty simple.

Fox gains Bufula to replace Bufu. One of these days I need to organize these skill lists, they’re a mess right now.

Mona also gains Recarm, which we replace Dia with.

TMI. Let’s just head to the Velvet Room.

First up, Andras from Shiki-Ouji and Naga.

You want to make me your mask…? You’re an odd one. Don’t blame me if you end up getting killed.

Andras is a demon from the Goetia, a marquis of Hell with thirty legions of demons under his command.

Sure, let’s allow the change.

Rampage is nice.

But we’ll get rid of Sledgehammer with the level up.

We’re also going to Electric Chair Lamia for Marakukaja.

Next up, we’ll fuse Choronzon from Isis and Pisaca.

To think another would summon me… Here, I will grant you the power of evil within this mask.

Choronzon is a demon that originated from the writings of occulticists Edward Kelley and John Dee. It became famous due to the belief system of Aleister Crowley known as Thelema, where Choronzon is the “dweller in the abyss,” the final obstacle between the adept and enlightenment, because he possesses the ability to destroy the ego. I’d go into further detail but I sense this would be an immense rabbithole to go down and I’m not really in the mood for any insane ramblings other than my own, thank you very much.

Seems like a fair trade, that. We’re not going to push the alarm any further and will simply back out now.

Yadda yadda, we gotta fight Coffinman…

He can summon Lamia and turn people into rats. Nothing worth worrying about.

We’re now back in the room with the big mounted crossbow we have to fire to blast a hole in the wall to make the light hit the door.

Unfortunately, the ledge we used to access the button before is now blocked.

So instead, we just grapple up this scaffolding. Seems safe!

And the door’s open!

Now we’re in that large hall where we have to pick up the glowing orb from the statue to place in the receptacle near the light to make the light hit the big door blocking the main staircase. Simple. Also once you pick up the orb, enemies spawn. I also didn’t realize there were actually two orbs in this hall, so I had to go back and grab the second one because there’s two receptacles.

As mentioned earlier, the great stairs are here.

We’ve gotten to the staircase, and with it, the first safe room. Let’s take this opportunity to end this update, all right? Though we’re not even halfway done with the Palace yet… I hope we manage to finish it next time.

Oh, well, that’s good.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 12, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Oh, well, that’s good.

Hey, it's me, Maaku!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Persona 5 Royal has a steam page now. (Don't look at it if you are avoiding spoilers.)

That "someone else" was no one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 91: 7/29: Pyramid Scheme (New)

This update contains content from Parts 76-77 of the original LP.

We’re going to keep progressing through this place mostly at lightspeed, if that’s all right.

We are going to switch out Skull and Queen for Mona and Panther, though, because their SP is getting pretty low. We’re maybe 1/3 done with the Palace and they’re already running on empty, and Joker’s not doing much better. That’s… troubling.

Also, I neglected to mention in the last update one of my other goals for this Palace. See, we have a Level 27 Anzu in our Persona deck at the moment. The next Strength request requires a Neko Shogun with Dekaja. Anzu happens to be one of the requisite Personas in Neko Shogun’s fusion recipe, and learns Dekaja… at Level 28. Thus, we’ll need to keep Anzu as Joker’s active Persona for quite a bit to get the necessary experience. If we don’t, it’s no huge issue, it’s just annoying because we still haven’t unlocked the Gallows because they pushed it back in Royal! :argh:

Let’s resume.

Rude putting a spike pit there. I almost fell in that!

How’re we supposed to get to the other side with the floor like this?
This is the point where we check our surroundings carefully. There has to be something we can use…

And of course, arrows shoot out of the wall as we pass.

We sail right on by, though.

We are then immediately accosted by more spikes. We’ll have to find another way around to get to Shadow Futaba.

Isis here is actually the last new Shadow in this dungeon, not counting the miniboss that guards the last Will Seed, which we can’t obtain. She’s weak to Psy and nullifies Bless and Curse. She uses Agilao, Garula, and Zionga (Medium Fire, Wind, and Electricity), and Makarakarn (erects a shield that repels 1 magic attack).

Skipping forward a bit, this is the room with the “cursed” orb. We need to ignore it for now.

First, we enter a nearby hallway, pass the currently-inactive arrow trap (that would have become active if we had taken the orb), and deactivate the spike trap from earlier. Then we can go back and take the orb, then take the long way back to get to the spike trap.

This Anubis almost wipes the entire party in a single action.

Joker manages to come out on top, though.

Queen learns Flash Bomb, which she slots in to replace Vajra Blast. It’s basically the same move, hitting all enemies with Medium Physical, except it also inflicts Dizzy.

Oh hey, new fusion alarm. We’ll check in with that after this segment of the Palace.

Panther learns Lullaby, which extends Dormina’s Sleep ailment infliction to the entire enemy party in exchange for hitting a bit less.

Another arrow trap here. This is the “curse” of the other Anubis statue, which is currently empty. We need to put the orb we got from the other statue in that one to lift it.

Hitting a switch in the room opens a door to that statue, letting us progress.

For Fox, we switch out Giant Slice, which is strictly inferior to Rising Slash, for Speed Master, which gives him Sukukaja at the start of battle.

Put the orb in the statue…

Hit the button…

Recklessly fire the ballista. Easy-peasy.

Our first Will Seed is right next to a locked chest. A plethora of riches.

Unfortunately, this weapon for Mona is slightly inferior to the very stupid-looking weapon we have on him now.

And let’s grab the Will Seed.

From here, it’s just a straight shot onto the first mural room.

Gotta unscramble it, right.

This adult seems to be reading something to a crying child? Hm, the emotions of the artist are oft depicted in the art they produce… I can sense… serious pain harbored in her heart.
(Adult Man’s Voice) “I should never have had Futaba…”
Is that voice coming from the mural?
“She was always such a bother…” It seems you caused your mother a great deal of trouble, Futaba-chan… She must have had some kind of maternity neurosis…

“Maternity neurosis” is just such a weirdly translated phrase. It’s both too clinical and not clinical enough, like it’s got this… specific vagueness to it. And it just sounds bad to the ear, like the tenses don’t quite match or something. I think “maternal neurosis” would have been better, just because it feels less… diagnostic? More informal? I dunno. As it is it’s just something no one would ever say.

The reflector turns, shining light that dispels the mural and opens the next door.

Based on its contents, it sounded almost like a suicide note…
Could that be what Futaba remembers of her mother’s suicide?
But that’s the shittiest thing to do to a kid if that’s really how it all went down.

Hold up! Wait a minute! That’s not what you’re supposed to say here, Skull! Roll the tape!

This is from Part #76 of the original LP, the one with the equivalent conversation from the vanilla release. As you can clearly see here, Skull said, and I quote, “gently caress.” Well, “fuckin’,” but still. Now, unlike in the original release, this conversation is voiced in Royal. That line was also not particularly badly translated originally. Therefore, the only rational conclusion we can draw is that the localization team knew that Skull is not allowed to say “gently caress” and therefore proactively removed the word from this conversation in Royal because it’s voiced now. That’s goddamn hilarious.

Anyway, let’s keep going.

Helpfully, we’re reminded about the alarm when we enter the safe room.

It’s time to head back to the Velvet Room to take care of that alarm.

First, we’re going to fuse Ara Mitama from Kin-Ki and one of the Stone of Scone Treasure Demons we picked up traversing this Palace (weak to Fire).

Because we used a Treasure Demon to fuse it, we have a lot of options for potential Traits. Let’s go with Intense Focus.

Go wild! Ferocity is my true power! Carve my savage anger into that face of yours!

Ara Mitama is one of the mitamas, the four aspects of Shinto thought. It can grant ferocity, or aid inbravery, growth, and endeavors. It’s also got a big angry face, so that should tell you a lot about what kind of aspect it is.

We like a few of those skills, so we’re not going to let them change.

Next up, Decarabia from that Ara Mitama we just made and Clotho. Unfortunately, it’s a Level 32 Persona, and we’re only Level 31.

This Persona is too powerful for your current level of strength. However, given your circumstance, I may be willing to expressly facilitate your rehabilitation. I only ask for 28160 yen—in return, I shall perform the ritual… What are your thoughts?

That’s a pretty exorbitant cost… but sure. It’s nice that they moved up the Strength rank where you get the ability to fuse above your level, but I’m not sure why I went for this Decarabia. It’s not a great Persona (just in terms of having a Physical weakness, sorry starfish man), it’s above my level so I have to pay out the rear end to fuse it, and I’m fusing an alarm result Persona so I’m not even going to get this thing at the end of it, it’s 100% going to turn into an accident.

And of course, the guillotine stops.

Here comes the chainsaw!

I am the flames of vengeance... Any who oppose us shall be singed by the fire now in your mask.

Lamia is… uh… huh.

From the Megami Tensei wiki: “According to Greek mythology, Lamia was a Libyan queen who fell in love with Zeus and bore him children. Hera became enraged and murdered all of Lamia's children (one version of the tale claims that Hera forced Lamia to kill and eat her own children). Lamia went insane with grief and began kidnapping and eating children, eventually turning into a hideous monster as a result. Legend states that Zeus granted Lamia the ability to remove her own eyes at will so she would not see her dead children when she closed her eyes. In some sources, Lamia became a Naga.”

:wtc:

This Lamia is built to stay alive above all else. We’ll keep it around for a bit until we can fuse Life Aid onto something else, because it regenerates 8% of HP and SP after every battle and that’s a pretty useful skill to have.

And we get kicked out of the Velvet Room.

Let’s just resume from the next section of the Palace. Which one was this again?

Oh, right.

We’re now in the room with the blue and red coffins.

There’s a new glowing red door here, but we’ll come back to that

The first puzzle goes identically to how it went in the original game, we just have to input 1s as “on” and 0s as “off” on the blue side.

However, once we do this, we skip right to the end of the puzzle with the boulders filling the corridor until we break the machine by kicking it. That’s the only mandatory part of this puzzle in Royal. However, we don’t receive the second set of inputs, so we need to find those to open that red door I mentioned previously. You just know they hid a Will Seed or something back there.

Now we can jump across the boulders to make it to the end of the corridor.

…Or, we can turn around and jump across the boulders in the other direction.

Here, we find the second slab.

Now, we just have to input those 0s and 1s into the coffin puzzle. After one failure because I forgot you have to put the reds in backwards, we open the door.

And there was, in fact, a Will Seed.

Time to head back and jump across the boulders again.

And another mural. We’re making loads of progress.

Here’s the annoying mural puzzle where you have to rotate the pieces, but because they’re triangles every piece rotates with a pair so it takes way longer to set up than it should.

Is she… jumping in front of a car?
Could this be the moment when Futaba’s mother committed suicide?

I like how she looks like she’s tripping. It’s like Akechi just walked over and gave her a little shove into traffic. Honestly, that’d be a much better mural.

Hm? Another voice…
(Young Woman’s Voice) …F-Futabaaa… …Y-You… aaaaaareee…

Wakaba sounds beyond apoplectic here. It’s more like she’s going loving berserk.

…She died right in front of Futaba’s eyes.
That’s horrible…
So, did her desire to forget those memories cause her to repress them?

Normally, I’d probably end this update here, but I really hamstrung myself with that DBZ preview joke. On to the final segment of the Palace!

Remember these statues for later.

Uh-oh, Joker got knocked down!

Thankfully, Sexy Technique is there to save us.

Skull learns Shock Boost to replace Memory Blow.

Blow up this wall with another ballista…

Find another safe room…

It’s easy, Skull. I just hold down L1 98% of the time while I run around.

Get another orb.

Are you ready?

Ooh, new Showtime! Been waiting for this one to finally happen!

Video: Yusuke and Ryuji’s Showtime (Watch this)

I’m runnin’ on empty, man…

Behold…!

Whoaaaaa…
The saucy…

…zesty…

…masterpiece!

Suddenly, shadow darkens the door…

Ain’t nothin’ better than this…!

Skull drops the bite he was about to take! Nooooo!

Rrrgh…

Get out, dumbass!

Here you go, my treat!

And that’s Fox and Skull’s Showtime. Hell yeah, both of Skull’s Showtimes are A+ material. :discourse:

And we get that Dekaja on Anzu. We’ll fuse it into Neko Shogun later.

Oh hey, a fusion alarm, perfect.

We equip that Robe of Hatred onto Panther.

Oh, welp, there’s a safe room. Guess we’re fusing that Neko Shogun now.

First up, Kurama Tengu from Clotho and that accidental Lamia from earlier.

It looks like I’m your mask now, so I guess I get to train you as much as I want.

Kurama Tengu are the most powerful and well-known of the Japanese tengu said to live on Mt. Kurama in Kyoto. They’re said to be exceptional warriors, and can fend off disease and bring good luck.

Losing Magarula for Resist Wind on a Persona that already Repels Wind is a bad trade-off. But Marakukaja is good, so it’s a wash.

Next, I’m going to turn Choronzon into some lovely jewelry with the Electric Chair.

Finally, Neko Shogun from Anzu, Kodama, and Sudama. Kodama and Sudama are not currently in our Persona deck, so we have to pay to resummon them. Thankfully, Igor will do that for us automatically as part of the fusion.

Your future shines bright like a diamond! I am your mask now!

“Neko Shogun” has kind of a weird story. Basically, there was a Chinese general that conquered Vietnam, but his name, Mao, was close to the Chinese word for “cat,” so when the people dedicated a temple to him and worshiped him as a god (as one does), they misnamed it by mistake as “Temple of General Cat.”

We need to keep this as it is for Dekaja to stick for the Strength request.

We won’t be fulfilling that request right now, though. Let’s just finish the Palace first.

Yadda yadda we fight another coffin that turns us into rats.

When we get out of that fight, we have to turn around and pick up a ~hidden~ orb. What did we do with the orb we picked up earlier? We put it in a receptacle to raise some platforms. I neglected to take a screenshot of this and I can’t be hosed to go back. Full speed ahead!

From there, we just run around some more, placing that last orb in another receptacle, until we leave that room.

The path forward is currently blocked, but we can grapple around this. Also, there’s a Will Seed nearby to find.

And we slap that Helper Knife on Joker.

We can kick down this plank to unblock the path from earlier.

And there’s another grapple point on the same platform.

We’re in for a tough battle—are you ready?

We’ve found the final Will Seed.

YOU NOT PASS. HERE YOU DIE!

This is kind of an annoying fight against the Decadent False God for Fox because this thing repels Physical and Gun and Absorbs Ice. However, there’s really nothing else to worry about. It uses Bufudyne to deal Heavy Ice damage, I guess. Maybe bring Mona and Queen instead of Fox and Panther, though with Panther you can easily take advantage of its Fire weakness.

And that’s all three.

I see the localization team correctly translated the sin as “Wrath” this time.

Well, let’s bounce.

Simple.

A child pulling on her mother’s clothes?
(Girl’s Voice) …Mom…
More voices…
I’m… I’m tired of eating dinner alone all the time. It’s always just convenience store bentos… I wanna go somewhere. Take me on a trip!
The one clinging to her mother would be Futaba-chan, right?

I dunno, Panther, it only looks exactly like her Shadow.

(Young Woman’s Voice) Don’t be so selfish! You know I’m working hard to support you, right!? Ugh!

Is that the maternity neurosis the voice from earlier mentioned?
I thought it was pretty normal for a child to want to spend time with their parents, though…
Yeah. Looks like Futaba was a pretty lonely kid growin’ up…
So these incidents compounded, forcing her mother to suicide?

Suddenly, Shadow Futaba appears!

Huh?
I killed her… That’s why I’m here in this tomb…
Don’t say that!
I will die…

Futaba disappears again.

Why’d she get so quiet all of a sudden? What happened to that snarky personality?
Could her heart perhaps be growing weaker?
We have to hurry and save her!

Hm? This door…
It looks familiar…
Oh! Futaba’s room!
That’s it!

It’s funny that it’s supposed to remind us of Futaba’s room door, but I have never once noticed what is actually on that door because it’s kind of dark and not in focus in the only scene it’s been in previously.

Why ain’t it openin’?
It must be her cognition that no one can enter it.

Beyond lies the Pharoah’s Chamber.
So the Treasure’s through here?
Indeed. However, you need my permission to open this door.
Then open it for us.
I cannot. You must have her invite you in.
What the eff. Ain’t this your Palace?
What’s she mean, Mona?
The Shadow is Futaba, but not Futaba herself.

Not a helpful sentence. Honestly just made it worse.

In other words, we need the real Futaba’s permission.
So, we need to have Futaba-chan open her room and let us in?

But I remember Boss saying that she won’t let anyone in.

Mainly doctors. Hey, maybe she’s one of those antivaxx freaks who doesn’t trust medicine!
I can’t tell if she’s totally that type or totally not… But anyway, she’s a hardcore shut-in for sure.

How will we convince her to allow us entry?
Standing around here won’t help. We’ll just have to give it a try… That’s what she wants, after all.
I think that we should do it too, even if it means we have to force ourselves in.

Gettin’ a little excited about the idea of breaking into a teenage girl’s room, Panther.
Yeah, normally you’d be the one for that kind of perverted crap.
OHHHHHHHHH!
…That aside, we’ll have to sneak in again.

Joker, it’s your call when we do this. Make sure you think of some excuses just in case Boss catches us.

Already got one: “I was looking for assorted kinckknacks to pilfer and hock over at the secondhand store.”
Any excuses that *won’t* lead to your eviction and arrest?
Honestly, I think that excuse is less dangerous than telling Sojiro the truth that we kept messing with his daughter after he told us to leave her alone.
Oh, right. I need the calling card Alibaba sent us. We’ll make it into a real one and steal the Treasure right after we give it to her.

Queen, help me think of what to write.
I suppose…
We got this covered. You decide on a good time we barge into her room! That’s all you!

The more we phrase this so violently, the more I have second thoughts about it…

And that’s the Palace. We’ve got a little more to do before we head back to the real world, but we’ll save that for next time.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 10, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I always did like Shadow Futaba asking for help and leading the Thieves into traps. That's a good metaphor for wanting help but instinctively pushing people away so you don't get hurt.

Anyway, F for Ryuji's F-bomb.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

From the Megami Tensei wiki: “According to Greek mythology, Lamia was a Libyan queen who fell in love with Zeus and bore him children. Hera became enraged and murdered all of Lamia's children (one version of the tale claims that Hera forced Lamia to kill and eat her own children). Lamia went insane with grief and began kidnapping and eating children, eventually turning into a hideous monster as a result. Legend states that Zeus granted Lamia the ability to remove her own eyes at will so she would not see her dead children when she closed her eyes. In some sources, Lamia became a Naga.”

:wtc:

Ah yes, when the side stories or backstories are more hosed up than the main story

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

lamia's summon quote is blank :v:

i do really like the style of the lil murals, they're cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Flair posted:

Ah yes, when the side stories or backstories are more hosed up than the main story

Te be fair, that one isn't Atlus' fault - Greek mythology just happens to be that way. Especially the part where all of it is once again due to Zeus not being able to keep it in his pants.