Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fart Dumbass posted:

again, climate change and biosphere collapse are very serious topics. that's why this thread, and no other thread in cspam, is being harassed by the owner of the site to make sure it stays on topic 100% of the time. we have to fix this problem now, and change begins here, in this thread. this is about saving the human race, people!

Woah are you saying the places with posting resources and meme resilience are being exploited by the forum hegemon to maintain their expected quality of lols in an increasing cringe filled world in full fledged lmao collapse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

C-SPAM > Biospher collapse: So Long Big Sequoia!

gotta get it right.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Since the climate sequoias thrive in is shifting north I wonder if I could plant some sequoias here and have them survive

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

no because they take 500 years to grow and by that time the climate they can surviv in will have moved farther north

they're super done for

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MightyBigMinus posted:

no because they take 500 years to grow and by that time the climate they can surviv in will have moved farther north

they're super done for

yeah I know :(

I do take the "you dont plant a tree for yourself, you plant a tree for the future" thing seriously so like... if there's any chance at all, I do still take it. I'm doomer but i'm not useless doomer.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Dude what is even going on here isn't cspam supposed to be the laid back shitposting chit chat interspersed with topical discussion forum? A place where you don't have to feel like walking on eggshells worried that you might post the wrong thing?

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Rectal Death Adept posted:

yeah if you build the road then the job is over

a patch of road near me has been ripped to poo poo to add a 50 foot segment of sidewalk or something for the last 5 months

it's bloated carcass has now attracted the wildlife. Feral pigs circle looking to hand out construction zone tickets and body shops are eagerly replacing bumpers, tires, fenders and windshields when random debris and long abandoned orange barrels are punted by a SUV traveling 70 in a 45. The remains of at least 3 multi-car accidents I've personally witnesses are part of the road now as thousands of cars drive through broken glass and assorted pieces of car.

That's good old American Job Creation

read this in a david attenborough voice, would make a good youtube sketch bit

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Shifty Nipples posted:

Dude what is even going on here isn't cspam supposed to be the laid back shitposting chit chat interspersed with topical discussion forum? A place where you don't have to feel like walking on eggshells worried that you might post the wrong thing?

lol only like 3 people treat this as the fyad lite chat forum it is

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
dig deep and put a bunch of seeds in clay pots, if lucky maybe an earthquake in a thousand years or so brings em up to the surface and maybe we as a civilization died quick enough for the climate to kind of restore itself

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol only like 3 people treat this as the fyad lite chat forum it is

That's not my experience at all, maybe we read different threads or something.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Shifty Nipples posted:

It's pretty obvious you can still do that as long as your posts aren't poo poo

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

No it is for discussion of biosphere collapse ONLY. Also no talking about how the only country building nuclear power plants and high speed rail and controlling population growth is cool and good, as that has nothing to do with climate change.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's pretty obvious you can still do that as long as your posts aren't poo poo

Fly molos post telling sinophobic libs to gently caress off was good, bro

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fanfic insert posted:

dig deep and put a bunch of seeds in clay pots, if lucky maybe an earthquake in a thousand years or so brings em up to the surface and maybe we as a civilization died quick enough for the climate to kind of restore itself

No matter what we do the climate will eventually restore itself. It may take millions of years but in the grand scheme of things it’s just a blink of an eye.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Fly Molo couldn't rest on his laurels of being very funny. Posting, is like a swordfight

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

IAMKOREA posted:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

IAMKOREA posted:

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PeoplesDailyapp/status/1550427937865957376

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

No matter what we do the climate will eventually restore itself. It may take millions of years but in the grand scheme of things it’s just a blink of an eye.

The Sahara and the Gobi are man made.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Tyrannosaurus Rex, ca. 65 MYa posted:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

IAMKOREA posted:

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Threads go through cycles of good and bad posting, much as the planet goes through cycles of natural heating and cooling. Heavy handed and nonsensical moderation will not change this, much as there is no reason to stop pumping massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere. The planet will cool itself naturally within a few decades, much as this thread will return to good posting once the mods stop interfering.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Shifty Nipples posted:

Someone got probed for breaking rule II subclause A: cheerleading. I had thought it was only D&D those pedantic rules applied to.

Marenghi has issued a correction as of 17:52 on Jul 23, 2022

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

amazed that adbusters is still around

Same. I used to do their page design.

Also stop loving the thread up, Jeff.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You guys. I like this thread. Can we please stop making it about the boss's poor choice of good posts to give Fly Molo his "annoying the boss" achievement award? Pretend it was for any other post that guy made anywhere else and move on.

Free the futurama guy though that was about the topic.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Jesus Horse posted:

The Sahara and the Gobi are man made.

The Sahara is not man made. There have been hundreds of Sahara green periods that are tied to the Earth's wobble. They are on a ~26,000 year cycle

I would say that the next one is only a few thousand years out, but lmao it's caused by slight warming so who knows how long it will take to start

grass toucher
Jul 23, 2022

Marenghi posted:

Someone got probed for breaking rule II subclause B: off topic posting. I had thought it was only D&D those pedantic rules applied to.

what rule

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rule ii subclause b can you not read?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't have a horse in this race because my climate collapse plan is to clink champagne glasses while the Titanic sinks, but I gotta say I've never met anyone whose response to the trolley problem is to essentially enthusiastically proclaim that not pulling the lever is the morally correct option. You're the first

uh I said that we are gonna multi track drift, I don’t know who you meant to reply to here.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

"I'm not an active participant in the thread but I'll edit it from home for the weekend edition" is some Worst Managing Editors of My Life vibes.

If your probing folks you should be a participant in the discussion. Otherwise it's cherry picking.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

hell yeah, restoration to being floating dust in space with no atmosphere :hmmyes:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stereotype posted:

uh I said that we are gonna multi track drift, I don’t know who you meant to reply to here.

you said that was the most likely outcome, i said your posts implied you felt the morally correct outcome was to let the lever go unpulled. these are not conflicting statements

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

The Sahara is not man made. There have been hundreds of Sahara green periods that are tied to the Earth's wobble. They are on a ~26,000 year cycle

I would say that the next one is only a few thousand years out, but lmao it's caused by slight warming so who knows how long it will take to start

It's true that the Sahara cycles through natural dry periods, but the recovery during the green periods relied on resources stored in the topsoil. The early development of agriculture pushed the system from a local to a global minima and chased early civilizations to the flood planes.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

So the solution is to build more concrete Olympic-sized swimming pools to contain all this water

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Tempora Mutantur posted:

hell yeah, restoration to being floating dust in space with no atmosphere :hmmyes:

you all bag on anarchoprimitivism and nihilism but in the long run it's going to be the dominant ideology

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

Since the climate sequoias thrive in is shifting north I wonder if I could plant some sequoias here and have them survive

The family next door smuggled some back to the Island after a trip to Disneyland in the 1990s. A couple of them survived and one is now a respectable house-shading sized tree. We're thinking about propagating it because they are more drought resistant than our dying cedars.

Not sure about that flammability thing though. Oh well, gently caress it, I want some evergreens back in these woods.

Am I going to do this? Sure, why the gently caress not?:

IAMKOREA posted:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If everyone started planting trees 50 years ago while also making drastic changes to cut greenhouse gases that would have actually worked, but it's too late now and planting trees in most areas just means more fuel for the next fire. Boomers still love the idea of planting trees because they were all raised on bullshit stories about Johnny Appleseed, but in reality that just makes it worse most of the time. The fires are everything now, they will dominate so many ecosystems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I thought we needed to plan trees so we could then chop them down by hand and toss them down mineshafts to sequester carbon