Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah there's no other way to help poverty except for "trickle-up" economics starting with literal children doing the work. Thank god Alabama lets em get married early too because how are you going to live a full life with no social programming and high mortality. Maybe I'd be interested in letting kids work in certain situations if there was any safety measures that let tweens cut sheet metal safely.

P.s. i started working when I was thirteen and got a full time job when I turned fourteen. Absolutely nothing good came of this, and a poo poo ton of bad things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So Lee Zeldin (republican candidate for NY Governor) was attacked yesterday on the stump and the whole deal sounded very very weird, as it was originally a knife attack that he held off

but uh

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1550524453800792064

that's not a knife

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The attacker looks exactly like the kind of guy who would vote for Zeldin. What's going on here?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Is that a black leather OIF hat?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

The attacker looks exactly like the kind of guy who would vote for Zeldin. What's going on here?

I'm assuming some spraypaint on easily cleanable surfaces.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is that a black leather OIF hat?

Yep, it was A Troop

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1550463012485595136?t=CFmNQRGG79u1U1er4J-BuA&s=19

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/VinceMcMahon/status/1550572700959121408

I hope Vince dies pennyless

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1550578379543437314?t=jCdGCLFsQ1YlAitAbMQ0KA&s=19

Tony Khan is a real master of the craft

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

A.o.D. posted:

I have to agree, this looks hilariously set up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's the setup? He probably wasn't republicunny enough

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Zamujasa posted:

can't wait until biden recovers and goes "see? covid is nothing but a mild cold. everyone should go back to work. open 'er up!"

The world is already back to normal. We have widespread rollout of vaccines and it's become endemic. It's been a little more then a performative event for at least six months now. We're still at like 500k new cases a week or something right?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Baked Alaska pleaded guilty after all!

https://twitter.com/Kunzelman75/status/1550579358225633280

Up to 6 months for livestreaming the insurrection from the inside, after initially recanting on an earlier plea, and also getting 30 days in an Arizona assault case (maced a bouncer).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

M_Gargantua posted:

it's become endemic

Nah.

That term has a real definition in the field of epidemiology, and we’re not there.

It’s still very much in the chaotic, epidemic phase.

HIV is also still epidemic, forty years since identification and more like a century since it jumped to humans.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 23, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Platystemon posted:

Nah.

That term has a real definition in the field of epidemiology, and we’re not there.

HIV is also still epidemic, forty years since identification and more like a century since it jumped to humans.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Apparently Brock Lesnar walked out in protest before Smackdown came on. edit: nevermind I guess he needed the paycheck.

And nothing of value was lost. :byewhore:

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 23, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The White House physician wrote a statement about the president’s treatment.

Nothing earthshattering, but I want to note the medication pause.

The physician assessed that COVID is an acute threat and that it’s worth pausing the Eliquis and Crestor for a few days so that the president can take Paxlovid, which would interact with the heart meds in potentially dangerous ways. In lieu, he gets Aspirin.

It’s basic stuff, but it takes a doctor who can look over the patient’s medications and make the necessary changes, and to do it on fairly short notice, and a lot of Americans don’t have that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My Dad and stepmom (71 and 68) both have Covid right now and we’re prescribed Paxlovid, and it seems to be helping.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Platystemon posted:

Nah.

Traveling all the time for the last 18months has left me feeling like covid is now treated with the same level of fucks given as car accidents and heart attacks. To me the difference between that and the medical definition is literally academic. The only thing we can do now is keep pushing vaccines and develop drugs to mitigate for those who catch it. No amount of handwringing will get a bigger response than that anymore.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Unless some new ultra virulent strain develops I think this is just how it is.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm confident we'll do nothing if there's a new ultra virulent strain. The US response will be the texbook 'what not to do' case in a century, if things are still functioning in that fashion. It's almost impressive, like, it took so much doing the OPPOSITE of everything sane and rational to get here in a concerted, societal fashion. Just powerful seeing everyone come together like that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Traveling all the time for the last 18months has left me feeling like covid is now treated with the same level of fucks given as car accidents and heart attacks. To me the difference between that and the medical definition is literally academic. The only thing we can do now is keep pushing vaccines and develop drugs to mitigate for those who catch it. No amount of handwringing will get a bigger response than that anymore.

Unfortunately the politicization of COVID in the US has rendered it impossible to have a rational discussion or analysis of it among the general public. My mom still insists on wearing a mask everywhere as a virtue signal, even though she only wears a cloth mask and not an N95 mask. Meanwhile, my in-laws are going around telling everyone "See? It wasn't so bad after all! We could have been carrying on like normal all along."

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

M_Gargantua posted:

This is unfortunately true, but the chaotic epidemic stage that Platystemon mentioned is in part defined (IIRC) by the potential for rapid uncontained spread within a community due to community susceptibility. If you combine the lack of fucks given by the population with the characteristics of the epidemic, the result is going to be continued cycles of mass infection for the foreseeable future. poo poo is hosed.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

M_Gargantua posted:

Car accidents is probably not the best example, because for those we at least mandate that people are supposed to wear seat belts and drive safely, and to some degree those laws actually do get enforced sometimes.

Covid just feels like absolutely nobody takes it seriously any more.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I still wear my cloth neck gaiter mask in most places.

People tend to gently caress off when you tell them you're on the Iraq/Afghanistan burn pit registry.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nobody takes it seriously because it's no more serious than regular risks anymore. I realize that's a heartless thing to say to people who are immunocompromised. Life sucks but we don't have overflowing ERs with people dying at this point. I'm only speaking from anecdotal evidence of places where i'm primarily active, being New England and Spain, but half my family works in medicine and even they're over it. Everybody just seems to pop positive and spend a day or two in bed taking ibuprofen.

It was awful, and we didn't take sufficient steps to mitigate the disaster. But two and a half years later and this is the new normal.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
now that the rich can get treatment there's really nothing worth trying since there's ~330 million Americans they can grind through to make number go up

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Nobody takes it seriously because it's no more serious than regular risks anymore. I realize that's a heartless thing to say to people who are immunocompromised. Life sucks but we don't have overflowing ERs with people dying at this point. I'm only speaking from anecdotal evidence of places where i'm primarily active, being New England and Spain, but half my family works in medicine and even they're over it. Everybody just seems to pop positive and spend a day or two in bed taking ibuprofen.

It was awful, and we didn't take sufficient steps to mitigate the disaster. But two and a half years later and this is the new normal.

haha, cool

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The NYTimes recently had a fairly decent (if bleak) article on where we're at with Covid:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/20/opinion/covid-19-deaths-vaccines-endemic.html

quote:

Bedford is reluctant to dwell on semantic debates about what constitutes a “pandemic phase” rather than an “endemic phase” for Covid-19, for instance. But if we insist that the country is still in a pandemic phase, he says, we’re not going to be able to downshift from that anytime soon, since conditions aren’t likely to look very different for years — and the country’s accumulating immunological protection, if imperfect, is still a categorical break from those earlier phases in which we first calibrated our fears. “If we’re saying that we’re still in a pandemic right now, it’s still going to be a pandemic in year seven — we’ll still be in a pandemic then,” Bedford says. “So I think it’s better to acknowledge that we’re at 98 percent of the population having immunity of some form — certainly over 95 percent. There’s not much more that could change in that regard.”

There are technical reasons other epidemiologists would dispute the term “endemic.” With respiratory diseases, it can refer to diseases where the average sick person infects fewer than one new person, and each of this year’s variants is more infectious than that. And while many use “endemic” to imply viral stability, there remains the possibility of a “surprise” in viral evolution, of course; no one I spoke to for this article was comfortable ruling it out.

But in a vernacular sense, the term fits: A large majority of the country has gotten infected with the coronavirus, probably most of us with a strain of Omicron, and 67 percent of us are vaccinated as well (though only 32 percent boosted). And for all the variant-after-variant turbulence of the past few months, from another perspective, the Covid experience in America has been for months in something like a steady state.

quote:

It is natural to look at those charts and feel some relief, appreciating how much immune protection the country has accumulated over time, particularly against severe disease and hospitalization. But the footprint of that steady state is also disconcertingly heavy. More than 300 Americans have been dying nearly every day for months; the number is today above 400, and growing.

Right now, Bedford says, around 5 percent of the country is getting infected with the coronavirus each month and he expects that pattern to largely continue. What would that imply death-wise, I ask? As a ballpark estimate, he says, going forward we can expect that every year, around 50 percent of Americans will be infected and more than 100,000 will die.

This year has been considerably worse than that, largely because it includes the initial arrival of Omicron — which, though often described as “mild,” killed more than 100,000 Americans in the first six weeks of the year. And so although the country’s current trajectory is following an annualized pace of 100,000 deaths, more than 200,000 Americans have died already this year, which implies over 250,000 deaths by the end of 2022.

Michael Mina, an epidemiologist who left Harvard to become the chief scientist at the online medical portal eMed in 2021 after spending most of the pandemic as the country’s leading rapid-testing evangelist, believes it could get worse. With a combination of seasonality and waning immunity among older people, he said, there’s potential for a fall wave of perhaps 1,000 a day. That would bring the number of American deaths, this year, to potentially 300,000 or more.

quote:

Where is that, exactly? Mina calls it a “long, bumpy off-ramp,” defined by the imperfect but predictable and reliable accumulation of additional immune protection.

“We are not seeing the same levels of death,” he says. “We’re just not. And that’s really important because this is reflecting not just the fact that we have treatments but a combination of immunity from infections and vaccines.”

Before the pandemic, Mina’s research was focused on the development of immunity in babies and children, and his mental model for our collective experience here is the same. “I’ve always said that we have to grow out of this pandemic,” he said. “We have to literally just build up enough immunity for us to get out of the pandemic as a human species.” Right now, he said, we are the equivalent of 2- or 3-year-olds immunologically speaking — having passed through “the real risk zone,” we are now for the first time able to navigate a world of viruses and bacteria without the same acute medical risks as before. “We know that 3-year-olds still go to the hospital a lot, but we know that given the same infections, 3-year-olds do a lot better than 1-year-olds. And that’s because of immunity.”

The novel coronavirus is no longer novel to us, in other words. Our immunity to Covid-19 is growing up. “That’s where we are as humans,” Mina says.

For many of us, he says, the process will continue. The immunological gains aren’t necessarily huge anymore, given how many times most of us have been exposed — and will be, going forward. “Those who get through it will probably actually have then seen the virus, maybe 10 or 15 times over the next five years,” he says. But each exposure, vaccination or boost does add to the tool kit and makes the risks of future infections less scary — one reason a recent small-scale social-media panic about possible heightened risk from second infections is so misplaced. “Eventually, it will settle out, and then our immune histories will really protect us more and more and more each year,” Mina says.

Of course, there are those who cannot build that additional immunity so well, primarily older people. Thanks to what’s called immunosenescence, the older you are the harder time you have forming new protections against new diseases, and the easier it is for you to lose those protections over time. So if the rest of the world is now building a higher and higher immunity wall, with each additional booster or infection adding some amount of protection — and future variant-specific boosters or pan-coronavirus vaccines potentially adding even more — the vulnerable old are building their own walls a bit more slowly and fitfully.

Covid-19 has always been a disease of the elderly, defined almost more by its age skew of mortality than by any of its other characteristics, with risk doubling roughly every eight years and octogenarians hundreds of times more at risk of death than young adults. But in a time of widespread vaccination and almost universal infection, that gap may well expand.

Mina compares the building of immunity to the learning of a language. “It’s a fact of the biology of immunity that it’s really hard to build a brand-new memory and keep it if you’re old,” he says. “And so I do think that for quite a while our elderly population is going to keep having really big problems because they just can’t retain these new memories.” People exposed today, who will become 80 years old in 25 years or so, won’t have the same problem, Mina says, because they will have built their immune memory at a younger age.

None of this should surprise us, Mina says. “I’ve always said, this is very much a textbook respiratory virus,” he said. “It’s new, which is why it’s mutating a lot. And we’re watching it mutate, which is why it’s scary.” But it’s really just “a baby virus,” he says. “It’s mutating because it’s growing up and learning how to live in us.”

tldr being that technical endemicity will continue for many years. Covid will be a new and steady drag on life expectancy on the order of Alzheimers and diabetes as it affects the vulnerable and elderly. Eventually with multi-generational replacement you'll have people who will have been exposed to Covid all their lives and hopefully retain protection into old age.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

drat dude I didn't think of it that way, are there any other things that actual trained experts don't agree with what you're saying you can explain to me because apparently I've been all hosed up about life

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

drat dude I didn't think of it that way, are there any other things that actual trained experts don't agree with what you're saying you can explain to me because apparently I've been all hosed up about life

He literally said it's anecdotal.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I still wear my cloth neck gaiter mask in most places.
Not to be a dick, but is this heavier duty than the usual or is it the same type that everyone has said does effectively nothing against Covid, giving or receiving, since the start of the pandemic? With ample chance to have proven otherwise?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Godholio posted:

He literally said it's anecdotal.

I forgot anecdotes start with a definitive statement such as defining how much of a risk something is, thanks

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Landlords delenda est

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1550873384866779139

quote:

"There's very little evidence that shutting off utility service to a tenant is an effective way to collect from a delinquent landlord," Whillans told NPR. "In many cases, landlords that refuse to pay repeatedly are bad actors that also have lots of other outstanding violations, so a lack of water service is just one more violation on the books."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cugel the Clever posted:

Not to be a dick, but is this heavier duty than the usual or is it the same type that everyone has said does effectively nothing against Covid, giving or receiving, since the start of the pandemic? With ample chance to have proven otherwise?

It's double layered, pretty thick compared to the handkerchief thin poo poo most people wear.

If I'm going in somewhere that's absolutely packed, I'll double down with one of those surgical masks under my gaiter. I have a big beard, though, so it's easier to use a gaiter and tuck my beard into it than wear a cupped mask like an N95.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

How in the blue gently caress could punitive measures against tenants, like eviction, be a reasonable move against delinquent landlords? That makes no fuckin sense.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Arrath posted:

How in the blue gently caress could punitive measures against tenants, like eviction, be a reasonable move against delinquent landlords? That makes no fuckin sense.

Well if the tenants are evicted they ain’t paying rent! Hurt him in his pocket hook!

Who will then wait until they are all gone, pay the bill and increase rent then stuff in new people.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arrath posted:

Are you suggesting the privatizing and deregulating the housing and utility markets would inevitably adversely impact lower income renters? Who could have seen this coming!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hey Crab Dad, how hosed are these guards?

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-07-22/who-stole-millions-in-jewels-in-brinks-heist-5-freeway-truck-stop

quote:

In the early hours of July 11, two armed guards left their Brink’s big rig, giving a gang of thieves a 27-minute window to make the huge snatch, its total value still a mystery. Estimates range from $10 million to $100 million.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LOL

LMAO

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Is having both guards walk away from the truck for half an hour normal procedure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Stealing is probably the coolest crime