Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BigPaddy posted:

It has been BoB for like a decade with people having to click participation links so that there are stats about which corps are turning up to ops which is used to judge who is active enough to remain in GSF.

Have to clock in for my space job.

To be fair, that was for the pubbies. I don't remember (TrueTM) goons ever being required to click paps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SHISHKABOB posted:

To be fair, that was for the pubbies. I don't remember (TrueTM) goons ever being required to click paps.

I mean, I still did because I liked flying spaceships and shooting other people even though all I had to do was log into jabber, mumble and contribute to a zor chain once a month

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Potato Salad posted:

Dude, beat by beat you've got this wrong, and not even in a marginal way. You are way off the mark here, and it's unusual for you.

1: The attacks alleging pedopilia enablement I've been seeing have tended to be specific, because they are intended to wound the perpetrators to the extent that the either lose power or clam up. Most posters aren't panning GSF broadly as All Pedophiles Everywhere. Really, dude?

There were plenty of people broadly smearing all of GSF. For example:

Potato Salad posted:

Groomswarm Federation: Drop Corp Now

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

And according to the recent fireside is now going to be rolled out to GEWNS as well, along with ending further SA-based recruitment to focus on EVE-based recruitment.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Dalael posted:

In this post I will attempt to demonstrate why not punishing the killers of emperor Caligula 2000 years ago directly lead to the housting of The Mittani and furthermore...

[Ocean pisses off Caligula]...[]......[]......[]......[]......[]......[]...[Mittani steps down. He doesn't play the piano.]

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The FC collects the pap, so you might fill your pap quota by accident if you just like flying around space and exploding stuff.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

learnincurve posted:

Goonswarm just told me I didn't understand it's sense of humour.

my 2nd stint playing bad game eve online, i had come back and heard whispers that gsf was a kinder, gentler place that didn’t tolerate racism, sexism, etc. anymore. this would’ve been around the time deklein was lost and we were in saranen before the move to delve.

i remember in one of the first mainfleet pings i joined, someone on comms mentioned she had gotten lost or missed a fleet warp or something and asked how to catch up. immediately several people started making women can’t drive jokes. she kinda laughed along, but that poo poo continued for several minutes with more people coming out of the woodwork with jokes on the subject of :females:

i asked them to knock it off because even if the woman they were directing it at didn’t mind, there were probably others who did mind but weren’t comfortable speaking up. i got called a white knight, told to chill because it’s just a joke bro, and to go back to reddit. i don’t remember the names or corps, but wouldn’t be at all surprised if that last comment came from someone in karmafleet since they made up like 2/3rds of every mainfleet at the time.

anyway that’s my story about “goons” revealing i didn’t understand their culture.

i quit not too long after the move to delve and before the last big war, but i am not surprised to hear that the curtain finally got pulled back and org leadership turned out to be a mirror of mainfleet comms all along.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DARPA posted:

There were plenty of people broadly smearing all of GSF. For example:

See my post about complicity, which you appear to be embracing enthusiastically.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regardless of whether you agree with me or not, remaining in GSF past this point is a conscious decision. At minimum, it's a demonstration of apathy or willingness to mentally "find the block button" for everything that has come forward. At worst, it's a statement of approval or solidarity with pedophilia or unrestrained religious extremism.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I’d be hilarious if kartoon came back right now and handed the goonfleet Corp keys to goosefleet

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

hailthefish posted:

And according to the recent fireside is now going to be rolled out to GEWNS as well

I don’t think anything that concrete was proposed, and if waffe participation keeps steady (which is admittedly a big if), it wouldn’t matter anyway, because waffe participation has historically been good enough to avoid sanction even without its favored child status.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

This is the latest Waffe info.

quote:

Goonwaffe Corp Changes
So here's a big one that needs to be dissected a bit. Goonwaffe has effectively been a holding corp for various alliance level functions for many years and has *never* had a CEO that is focused on the corp. All corp directors are also there for alliance purposes, none are focused on the corps well-being like other alliance member corps have. This is a legacy situation from when Waffe (and Goonfleet before it) were used as corporate executor initially, then as a less secure version of DJs (the executor corp) once that became the preferred alliance structure.

What I intend is to extract the alliance functions from Goonwaffe and move them to a new corp. This will allow us to have a lower security corp than DJs to perform most alliance functions without having to give people DJs director while also allowing us to place someone in charge of Waffe that can run it like a real corp without the currently existing additional security concerns. Why is this important, why can't we just give everyone DJs roles if they need something? Because DJs directors have the ability to add/remove corporations, do anything to our most important citadels like the 1DQ Imperial Palace, and also disband the allaince outright. Clearly giving 'everyone' that needs some kind of role that power would be bad, so that's why we currently use Goonwaffe for a lot of work that doesn't require such access. We also do not have enough hangars to do all the work in DJs, we need a lot of hangars/wallet divisions and we also frequently hit the maximum hangar item limit in Waffe even today. This process will be a monstrous undertaking that will not happen immediately and requires a lot of changes within both alliance IT and alliance SIG functions that currently depend on Waffe.

With that done, we now have a 'normal' corporation that can be run like any other membercorp in the alliance. Historically the alliance leader has always been Goonwaffe/fleet CEO, that will no longer be strictly true going forward. The Waffe CEO will be just like any other membercorp in that directors/the CEO will be in kremlin and will not automatically be in illuminati. If that person happens to have an alliance director role that's fine, but it's no longer a given or a requirement.

Going forward we're not really related to or sponsored in any way by SomethingAwful (SA). This has been true in function if not reality for quite some time, this is just an official acknowledgement. Waffe recruiting will be done from within EVE just like everyone else, we will no longer rely on SA forums for being a recruitment source - this was effectively already done but this makes it official. There is no scarlet letter for having an SA account or anything like that, existing Waffe members are grandfathered in because you are cool people. We will be changing a lot of stuff on the forums like removing gimmick forums and removing offensive emoticons/emojis that came from SA.

I know this de-linking from SA process will not sit well with some people, but I believe it to be a required step to further clean up the alliance and prevent future incidents from occurring. It's making a de facto situation de jure, so not much will 'really' change regarding this topic but some people will be upset about not being 'real goons'. I don't really care what SA has to say about the topic, the 'True Goon' argument was always very dumb gatekeeping garbage and anyone that stands with us is a True Goon as far as I am concerned.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Potato Salad posted:

Regardless of whether you agree with me or not, remaining in GSF past this point is a conscious decision. At minimum, it's a demonstration of apathy or willingness to mentally "find the block button" for everything that has come forward. At worst, it's a statement of approval or solidarity with pedophilia or unrestrained religious extremism.

Or it just takes a long time to move a decade's worth of stuff out of Delve.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's also worth pointing out yet again that any "the institution is too important to fail" posting is talking about weighing their conscious choice to apathetically turn a blind eye to all that has happened--and will trivially continue to happen--in a video game community.

That's the "important institution" they're weighing against their personal moral code.

Edit: It also implies that "the institution" will fail without you, which no lol it won't. There's plenty of fresh blood and soil in EvE to keep GSF rolling.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 23, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Potato Salad posted:

it's also a whole can of "FYGM"

e: obviously this isn't applicable to the people quietly fleeing.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

We don't loving care

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Feliday Melody posted:

I think it's funny that they are removing the "bad smilies" now and not.... idk at some point in the past.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

We don't loving care

Do not take this out on me.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Potato Salad posted:

It's also worth pointing out yet again that any "the institution is too important to call" posting is talking about weighing their conscious choice to apathetically turn a blind eye to all that has happened--and will trivially continue to happen--in a video game community.

That's the "important institution" they're weighing against their personal moral code.

Cannot :emptyquote: this enough, remember that all of this is being excused for specifically because people want sov, the worst system in EVE by a longshot. There's a reason all the people leaving are going to WH/NPC null, the main unique thing sov null has is supercaps, which nobody enjoy flying as it is

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Goonwaffe forums had one guy desperately fighting to have the worst of the smilies removed over at least a year to general apathy.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think it's funny that they are removing the "bad smilies" now and not.... idk at some point in the past.

I also saw a fair share of the worst smilies I've seen in my life on Goonfleet. That I'm pretty sure didn't come from here.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Bad Purchase posted:

i asked them to knock it off because even if the woman they were directing it at didn’t mind, there were probably others who did mind but weren’t comfortable speaking up.

The secret technique to dealing with goons and sundry other internet dorks that I figured out over 15 years ago is this: Gentle public rebukes do not work. If you want behaviors to stop you have to bully them into submission because "I'm making a dumb joke and people are laughing so obviously the person complaining is wrong" is all they're going to get out of that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

We don't loving care

I think it's interesting. It's not like letting people know what's going on in Goonfleet is gonna make them suddenly want to join it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm taking any bets that they'll purge :godwin: or :hitler: and the like. Purging the text of white nationalism in place of purging white nationalists themselves is an old, ooooooold "See, we're trying, honest" playbook.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

The secret technique to dealing with goons and sundry other internet dorks that I figured out over 15 years ago is this: Gentle public rebukes do not work. If you want behaviors to stop you have to bully them into submission because "I'm making a dumb joke and people are laughing so obviously the person complaining is wrong" is all they're going to get out of that.

yeah, at the time i read the room and figured if i made too big of a stink the FC would've broadcast me and told everyone to press F1. but looking back, that would've made it a better story.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The richest part of it is that they're going to flail at things like the wiki or smilies for a bit but leave BBTB and whoever that "I messed up with edgy transphobic stuff, so you all owe me apologies" yxzidew or what's-his-name in the alliance.

They'll never ban their Lowtax and his most insidious enablers.

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Consistently applying pressure also sucks the self-congratulatory fun out of the situation. Being a killjoy works.

Not that it'll work now that the circlejerk of armored wagons will be tighter than ever before.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 23, 2022

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

Well stop posting updates then! It's quite easy when you think about it!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Well stop posting updates then! It's quite easy when you think about it!

I will keep posting information as long as people keep speculating on that information. Kindly, just block me if you do not want to read it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this poo poo always felt more straightforward when it was Manfred or Vince underwriting the worst poo poo in Eve online.

GSF leadership sold itself as the adults in the room, and I loving fell for it

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

SHISHKABOB posted:

That was, indeed, one of the privileges of being a member of The Party back in the day. Hell, I remember a speech from Mittens back then about how the entire purpose of the Imperial apparatus was to allow the ordinary Goon (meaning SA posters and people with cultural ties to the forums community outside of EVE) to live the high life in spaceships while being the dumbest, laziest, most useless motherfuckers imaginable.

You were still encouraged to click the paps for the fleets you participated in because performance was comparative, and every recorded sortie by a Waffe member got us one step closer to kicking Raging Ducks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lol at the "True Goons" who wouldn't last 10 days un-permabanned on SA in 2022.

I suppose there's a few "I'm socially stuck in 1855" containment zones where they would get by well enough.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Feliday Melody posted:

I will keep posting information as long as people keep speculating on that information. Kindly, just block me if you do not want to read it.

Keep posting some of us want to roast our marshmallows using the dumpster fire.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

Or just not post it here, on a comedy forum that has no affiliation to the Groomwaffe or Groomswarm any more. That's actually loving easier

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I personally don't feel there's anything to be gained by running off the GSF people still posting in this thread as long as they're not posting full on harassment/pedo defenses, but I do find myself wondering why they're making the effort when so far the messaging from above has been pretty plain that the coalition no longer views the entire SA forum community as worth having a corp even notionally affiliated with (like MRCHI and the PA forums).

And it is somewhat concerning where the lines have been drawn on what is and is not acceptable in the name of warm bodies in fleet.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

"ACTUALLY THE PROBLEM IS THAT YOU WEREN'T POLITE ENOUGH, ABOUT THE PEDOPHILE SHELTERING WOUNDED-BIRD-AMBER-HEARD-BITCH-SHOOTING QUEERBASHERS IGNORING SEXUAL HARASSMENT"

Quoting for posterity.

Remember that you DO NOT owe abusers or abuse enablers respect, ever. gently caress groomswarm.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Potato Salad posted:

Consistently applying pressure also sucks the self-congratulatory fun out of the situation. Being a killjoy works.

Not that it'll work now that the circlejerk of armored wagons will be tighter than ever before.

repeatedly going "other people might not like that" makes people mad at you and not the people being jackasses. Being polite might get you some thank you pms from likeminded people but nothing actually changes that way without critical mass

Directly yelling at someone to knock it off and calling them a stupid piece of poo poo to their face makes them weaker and undercuts their attempts at playing to their crowd and is much more likely to cause immediate speaking up.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Or just not post it here, on a comedy forum that has no affiliation to the Groomwaffe or Groomswarm any more. That's actually loving easier

a) Just because TheAdj says so doesn't mean it's true. There's years of history that can't be erased by fiat, and even if modern Waffe really is a pubbie corp it's still riding our legacy.

b) This is a general EVE thread, and political upheaval in one of the game's largest power blocs would certainly be relevant discussion even if it had no direct connection to us.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

Ignore Shane, he's just going to keep on endlessly angryposting at you and anyone else he gets mad at. It's his tic.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Voyager I posted:

b) This is a general EVE thread, and political upheaval in one of the game's largest power blocs would certainly be relevant discussion even if it had no direct connection to us.

AMEN!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I'm taking any bets that they'll purge :godwin: or :hitler: and the like. Purging the text of white nationalism in place of purging white nationalists themselves is an old, ooooooold "See, we're trying, honest" playbook.

The next time anyone says posters in this thread aren't just tossing baseless accusations around and tarring all their imagined enemies with crazy poo poo, link the quoted post. It's just raving.