Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Warbird posted:

Field party in Pennsylvania.

I'm gonna try and crash it, despite the inevitability of getting shot down

Oh god new page, sorry

Pretend I shopped that iguanadon meme with the cum lady's face and she's now saying oh god you are gonna make me thumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DesperateDan posted:

Pretend I shopped that iguanadon meme with the cum lady's face and she's now saying oh god you are gonna make me thumb

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Brawnfire posted:

Aw, no Capture the Flag?

They prefer two hand touch.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

pseudorandom posted:

PYF Memes: Idk where else to post this and I know how much yall love cum

Zetsubou-san has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Jul 23, 2022

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Irrational time signatures exist (with non-even numbers on the bottom).

All music is 4/4 if you don’t count like a fuckin nerd .jpg

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Care to explain?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
No I’m too dumb to explain it with my own words so:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature scroll to irrational meters

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
being such a nerd about music you can't let a meme be technically incorrect is your burden not ours

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

Irrational time signatures exist (with non-even numbers on the bottom).

All music is 4/4 if you don’t count like a fuckin nerd .jpg

Some (also all) music is in 3/4 according to dance inductors.

I learned about irrational time signatures today. Bush did do 9/11

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I spend a lot of time doing music stuff (as a hobby) and I didn't know either until I looked it up. But I assumed it must exist because for every music theory thing / rule there's as many exceptions / outright contradictions. And even if there's not you can still find some nerd arguing the case somewhere.

Keep learning music theory until you don't need it anymore would be my advice to anyone.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

No. I'm just gonna listen to a Meshuggah song.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

fullroundaction posted:

Keep learning music theory until you don't need it anymore would be my advice to anyone.

Thanks but I’m going to stick with my plan of never learning any of it. Keeps the music nice and simple.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Well yeah, the amount of music theory that's helpful for most people is zero

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Time signatures that subdivide into 16ths or finer are right about where you lose me. Those kinds of meters are meant for single-bar use, to make a metric modulation or drum fill or particularly angular riff more interesting for a moment. If you're writing an entire song in 15/16, don't expect me to listen to it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bah, an "irrational" time signature should be actually mathematically irrational. Like π beats per measure, and the 1/e note is a beat.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Time signatures that subdivide into 16ths or finer are right about where you lose me. Those kinds of meters are meant for single-bar use, to make a metric modulation or drum fill or particularly angular riff more interesting for a moment. If you're writing an entire song in 15/16, don't expect me to listen to it.

Klezmer and Balkan music wants to fight you IRL. Actually, they want you to join the dance chain, it's fun.

But yeah, anyone who writes a piece of blues-derived music in anything but 4/4, 3/4 or maybe 7/8 is a colossal wanker. Thankfully, some of us enjoy wankery though.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I like 7/4.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Bah, an "irrational" time signature should be actually mathematically irrational. Like π beats per measure, and the 1/e note is a beat.

.999.../4

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the Sesame Street pinball song has a bunch of weird time changes and is cool as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?shorts?s6AqbEMitoQ

iirc sitar players have to learn a bunch of insane signatures. I think I remember an interview with one of Ravi Shankar daughters where she talked about learning to play in 16/17 or something.

in the course of trying to figure this out, I learned that Norah Jones is one of Ravi Shankar's daughters, but I don't think it was she.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I like all time signatures.

In one song.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I like this song but because I know nothing about music theory maybe it has normal signatures :shrug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTM_ltQf6-A Meshuggah - New Millenium Cyanide Christ

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

My fave time signatures are 1/2 and 2/50.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
a time signature is a time signature. You can't say it's only a 1/2.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I'm true meshugga fashion, the drums are 4/4, but the guitar riff is 23/16, and therefore syncs up with the drums every, uh, 9 bars? Maybe? I can be arsed to listen to the music, but not do math, I guess.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

tight aspirations posted:

My fave time signatures are 1/2 and 2/50.

The songs aren't the same when you convert to mp3 though

doverhog
May 31, 2013

In any case liked their music before I heard music nerds talking about it being "math", just has a good energy to it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, Meshuggah's whole thing is polyrhythms over 4/4. The djenty guitar riffs and the kickdrums that accentuate them are always in some weird masturbatory meter but the drummer's hands are mostly keeping time in 4/4. So yes, by common denominators the riffs will line up again eventually, but not at all in any sort of 'traditional' phrasing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

anyone asked terry yet about what he thinks of all this?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Terry doesn't have opinions, his brain is as smooth as his skin

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just write everything in 4/4 and then if you want more notes in there you just play those notes as your heart sees fit :)

If you want to like, "write it down" or something I'd recommend things like semiquavers, demisemiquavers, hemidemisemiquavers, semihemidemisemiquavers, demisemihemidemisemiquavers and, if you want to get really loving fancy, chuck some hemidemisemihemidemisemiquavers up in there.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I only listen to music in 4/20 or 6/9

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
LMAO!!!!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I accidentally wrote a weird little song in 31/32 somehow. I’m not very good at music.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, Meshuggah's whole thing is polyrhythms over 4/4. The djenty guitar riffs and the kickdrums that accentuate them are always in some weird masturbatory meter but the drummer's hands are mostly keeping time in 4/4. So yes, by common denominators the riffs will line up again eventually, but not at all in any sort of 'traditional' phrasing.

Plus you need to be able to headbang to it :rock:

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
Four on the floor or nothing

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Wow, lots of Jazz haters here.

Not a meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7j7bdEPSd0

Meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2r4fLZxU6c

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My favorite time signature is your [credit card number] / [the three digits on the back].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shark gifts