Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah that Young Justice book definitely reads like the writer hates the old Young Justice and they hate the new Young Justice and that they really, really hate Cassie

Yeah I never read the original YJ but this tie-in definitely feels like it doesn't like YJ.

Like you could maybe chalk it up to "well this is supposed to be some wrong world" but even then Robin & co. keep talking about how stupid all their villains/adventures/super-cycles seem in retrospect

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Batman #433 Witten by Byrne and drawn by Aparo is a good issue.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Jurassic League continues to be stupid and awesome.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1550578938140844033?t=DL_54W_c68pUtb-D6eieOg&s=19
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1550598667131830274?t=CSavwAN9bUBxqxTpO9oOSQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1550643110585188352?t=hyd5IWgVG8_E4UVeutCDjQ&s=19

New comics coming

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Also a new (well, apparently the one McFarlane's been talking about since like, 2006) Batman/Spawn crossover. I'm sorta excited, I love crossovers. Read War Devil but never read the Miller one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just in time for Comic-Con, I managed to finish the second episode of my Epic Wonder Woman Deep Dive for anyone who's interested :buddy:

Much of this is about the wacky Silver Agey love-triangle hijinks of the 60s -- WW invented being a furry long before Batman had the notion -- though the latter part goes into detail about the actual moral panic and Comics Code censorship that necessitated these whimsical, family-friendly stories.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

catlord posted:

Also a new (well, apparently the one McFarlane's been talking about since like, 2006) Batman/Spawn crossover. I'm sorta excited, I love crossovers. Read War Devil but never read the Miller one.

Does anyone care about Spawn anymore?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Codependent Poster posted:

Does anyone care about Spawn anymore?

I tried to get back into it after not reading since the 90s and I couldn’t. I have fond memories from back then, but I just couldn’t with the modern book.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Please, for the love of God, don't suck, it's been so long since a good Static story.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Joker title sounds interesting but I've found Rosenberg off-putting alas. Will probably check out the Riddler book, though, always love a good story with that fella.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I know that this is supposed to be serious. But all I see when I look at this solicit is a serious book about heartbreak.

Then when you read the story it's like "Virgil has just been dumped by his girlfriend. And now he's got a case of Meta-Blue Balls!
If Static doesn't get laid in the next hour, he will explode and take the city with him!"
Something really trashy on the inside.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
What

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I'm saying that cover and solicit have the look that it's going to be not just terrible, but infamously terrible.

Like Trouble 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It looks completely normal, like pretty much any YA teen-focused GN you can find in any bookstore or library these days

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah it looks like a very ordinary plot. That blurb makes me think it's just gonna be him hanging out with his friends for the night after a bad break-up where shenanigans ensue. What weird brain worms do you have that lead you to this:

The Question IRL posted:

I know that this is supposed to be serious. But all I see when I look at this solicit is a serious book about heartbreak.

Then when you read the story it's like "Virgil has just been dumped by his girlfriend. And now he's got a case of Meta-Blue Balls!
If Static doesn't get laid in the next hour, he will explode and take the city with him!"
Something really trashy on the inside.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dc has been putting out pretty good ya ogns for a while now

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

catlord posted:

I have both Spawn/Batman comics. The DC one is just Batman:Gothic with numbers filed off and the Image one is just Batman trying to outgrim Spawn. Both are fun trash

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

Just to be clear, both Dark Crisis YJ issues definitely read far less like "love letters" and more like they were written by someone who hates Young Justice and every character in it lol :sweatdrop:

Like I've completely flip-flopped on picking up Fitzmartin's upcoming Tim Drake series because of this book.

Watching them have Bart say how he could talk to Barry but never could talk to Wally is the most baffling thing. I understand that the characters in the world they're in are supposed to be off because it's fake, but Bart has literally no relationship with Barry and a pretty well developed one with Wally.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Watching them have Bart say how he could talk to Barry but never could talk to Wally is the most baffling thing. I understand that the characters in the world they're in are supposed to be off because it's fake, but Bart has literally no relationship with Barry and a pretty well developed one with Wally.

Wally was 'his' Flash for years. (I mean, I know you know and I know that but still, c'mon.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The writer also had Cassie wish that Conner was still dead.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I imagine that was supposed to come across as an intentionally silly, childish spur-of-the-moment grief-induced thought that she would immediately regret, which is something that happens to everyone, but what I can't figure out is what exactly she was mad at him (and the others) about? It can't possibly be the few lines of tame-rear end quips that they were tossing out in that page? It feels like we're supposed to think Cassie has so much unresolved bitterness towards the three boys but in actuality I have no idea what Fitzmartin thinks they've done to her to make her ever wish that they were dead, even as an intrusive thought.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

During the year 3 story arc written by Wolfman, Grayson has to do some continuity fixing and says batman did not let kgbeast die, but informed the police 2 hours later. Unfortunately this was after kgbeast had escaped somehow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

I imagine that was supposed to come across as an intentionally silly, childish spur-of-the-moment grief-induced thought that she would immediately regret, which is something that happens to everyone, but what I can't figure out is what exactly she was mad at him (and the others) about? It can't possibly be the few lines of tame-rear end quips that they were tossing out in that page? It feels like we're supposed to think Cassie has so much unresolved bitterness towards the three boys but in actuality I have no idea what Fitzmartin thinks they've done to her to make her ever wish that they were dead, even as an intrusive thought.

Also weird was Cissie calling Batman, Superman and Flash the boys' 'fake dads' which feels so out of character one hopes she's some sort of hallucination. Nobody feels very in character in that book.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Truly the effects of the Dark Crisis are more far reaching and sinister than we thought

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Superman: Space Age is really good. Like a new New Frontier.

And there’s a bar named The Seagull next to a Shoe Store.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah I quite liked it, very keen to see how issue 2 unfolds.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Detective comics annual #2 is a supremely problematic story.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

What happens there?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

What happens there?

A young Bruce wayne travels to the south with a detective mentor to solve at the time of their arrival 3 murders. During the investigation it is uncovered that the now 4 murdered men are part of a 6 man KKK like group that had wiped out a black shantytown outside of the main city years before. They confront the only remaining alive member and learn that the member who was dead before the murders had a wife who changed her name for some reason. Bruce and the detective go to protect the old lady and find the killer attacking her. It is revealed to be a locale mentally disable and crazy man. During the fight Bruce's mentor dies and Bruce thinks their is still a loose end. He sits down and has a think about it and discovers that one of the kkk members had a secret child with former black maid and that member wiped up the other members to kill everyone in the shantytown. The problem was they missed killing the secret child so that kid grew up and manipulated the mentally ill man to kill the kkk people. Now batman comes back once a year to terrorize this man who he can not prove orchestrated the murders.

At no time does Bruce get angry about the shantytown getting destroyed and everyone in it murdered. He also does nothing about the last surviving kkk member who admitted to the murders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

A young Bruce wayne travels to the south with a detective mentor to solve at the time of their arrival 3 murders. During the investigation it is uncovered that the now 4 murdered men are part of a 6 man KKK like group that had wiped out a black shantytown outside of the main city years before. They confront the only remaining alive member and learn that the member who was dead before the murders had a wife who changed her name for some reason. Bruce and the detective go to protect the old lady and find the killer attacking her. It is revealed to be a locale mentally disable and crazy man. During the fight Bruce's mentor dies and Bruce thinks their is still a loose end. He sits down and has a think about it and discovers that one of the kkk members had a secret child with former black maid and that member wiped up the other members to kill everyone in the shantytown. The problem was they missed killing the secret child so that kid grew up and manipulated the mentally ill man to kill the kkk people. Now batman comes back once a year to terrorize this man who he can not prove orchestrated the murders.

At no time does Bruce get angry about the shantytown getting destroyed and everyone in it murdered. He also does nothing about the last surviving kkk member who admitted to the murders.

Jesus Wept.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

:wtc:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Oh yeah I forgot to add who wrote it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Detective Comics was good this week at least. They’re bringing back Barbatos with some gothic horror stuff, and there’s a crime noir Jim Gordon back up. Solid start.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to add who wrote it.

:kaibano:

also as someone who never read the OG Young Justice but feels bad for the characters who basically got hosed by take your pick of New 52, 5G, writer/editorial indifference etc, I think their Dark Crisis being them getting canceled is pretty funny and doesn't read as particularly spiteful or mean spirited. Bendis's latest crack at it wasn’t even good as kindling, but I am probably a decade or two older than the intended audience

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm trying to think of really good "teen-age super-hero team" books and can't think of any from the last 20 years outside of Gillen and McKelvie's Young Avengers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Where they all in their 20s?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mulva posted:

Where they all in their 20s?

A key plot point is Kate turning 18 so uh...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I'm trying to think of really good "teen-age super-hero team" books and can't think of any from the last 20 years outside of Gillen and McKelvie's Young Avengers.

The original Young Avengers is there, you can make an argument for most of Runaways (the argument against it being they're not really a team), Waid's Legion is in there, New X-Men: Academy X was fun until they all got blown up in a bus

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Despite it being an endemic concept, how many good teen team books were there before 2002? You've got Legion of Superheroes, but by the time the Levitz/Giffen run got really hot I don't think many/any of the main characters were teenagers.

Same for X-Men, even before Claremont took over I don't think most of the characters were written as teens and in the Claremont era it was really mostly just Kitty/Colossus (and much later Jubilee) who were teenage. Though you did have New Mutants for pretty much all of the 1980s, with fluctuating levels of 'good' but they were definitely teenagers.

Teen Titans only had a few years where it met both the "teen" and "good" criteria, though that expands if you liked Young Justice.

Beyond that.. I dunno? Power Pack were mostly pre-teens. Young Heroes in Love? Wolfpack? New Warriors, though I think they were mostly in their twenties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Boom Studios' Power Rangers books. :c00lbert: