Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/fintechfrank/status/1550854581860663299

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Look hit Biden on a lot of things but federal law requires that no more than three members of the same party may be placed on either the SEC or the CFTC.

It's not a decorum thing; it's literally the law

Just have them change party registration to the gently caress Crypto party and have the commission be 3 Dems and 2 gently caress Cryptos. Bingo bongo problem solved

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I hope his wife already has a divorce lawyer.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
lol who the gently caress takes out a loan to make an investment. If it fails your Double hosed.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

davecrazy posted:

lol who the gently caress takes out a loan to make an investment. If it fails your Double hosed.

Not just any loan too, one against your home! Nothing quite like using your domicile as collateral when throwing away a shitton of money.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Protocol7 posted:

Not just any loan too, one against your home! Nothing quite like using your domicile as collateral when throwing away a shitton of money.

Yeah, I’m fairly risk taking but my house? Naw, gently caress that. poo poo can go sideways or whatever but I’m not putting my wife and kids’ home at risk. Selfish rear end in a top hat IMO.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

davecrazy posted:

10+ years of bull market has poisoned brains when it comes to leverage

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah the constant rising home values and low interest rates along with how a complete dummy could make money in the market is a bad combo when you get into grift town as it is starting to turn.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Orio posted:

I know the Superstonk Gamestop-people technically aren't doing crypto, but it seems related. This is QAnon level stuff.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Never Forget Token.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

davecrazy posted:

Enjoy staying poor!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

davecrazy posted:

This thread taught me that margin trading and margin calling was a thing and god the thought of me being in that position makes me feel ill. Being not just broke but also newly, deeply indebted like these fools would likely make me stress barf

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Look hit Biden on a lot of things but federal law requires that no more than three members of the same party may be placed on either the SEC or the CFTC.

It's not a decorum thing; it's literally the law

Counterpoint: "well, we've already got three Democrats on the council. Time to nominate a DSA councilor."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Biden would prefer the Republican

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Single slurp mothe r fucker

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Porfiriato posted:

Not to beat a dead horse and they're almost certainly on the way to another perma (though lmao if the placeholder probe expires in 6 hours first), but Seraph tried make a case for bitcoin in that it has allowed people from around the world to help fund the war resistance in Ukraine.

Setting aside the griftocracy that has since settled around this one singular case of bitcoin aiding a "good" government, the $50+ million raised this way is VASTLY offset by the fact that North Korea has been able to steal literally billions of dollars of bitcoin, allowing it to continue to fund its murderous regime and their pursuit of nuclear weapons.

North Korean hackers stole $400 million in cryptocoins in 2021 alone...

and are believed to have stolen another $1 billion-plus so far this year

Yet another reason why crypto is bad and you, personally, are bad.

And this argument is often made to justify bitcoin as being "useful," and thus, valuable. The thing is that bit-coin at any low market cap can be used to transfer money in this way, and would work even better if its price was low. This "use case" does not justify bitcoin at 10k, 22k, or 100k. And on top of this, any other random coin may be used for this purpose so there is no moat in stock/business speak.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Professor Shark posted:

Single slurp mothe r fucker

drat you're saying the secondary and tertiary slurps were a lie? That's hosed up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I keep slurping but nothing is happening. please help

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so blockbuster is also part of coin/stonk jacking off culture too?

also public libraries ate its lunch or hammered nails into blockbuster's coffin when they also started to offer dvds and box sets at better rates (free, but need a card) so I'm not sure if they can ever come back with a legit fundamental biz service.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

davecrazy posted:

when presented with 20%-30% interest you'd be crazy not to mortgage your house and your kidneys, you'll double your money in a couple of years for free

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PhazonLink posted:

so blockbuster is also part of coin/stonk jacking off culture too?

also public libraries ate its lunch or hammered nails into blockbuster's coffin when they also started to offer dvds and box sets at better rates (free, but need a card) so I'm not sure if they can ever come back with a legit fundamental biz service.

iirc the blockbuster, radio shack, etc brands have all been picked up by get rich quick grifters of various types, so it makes sense they would hitch themselves to the largest pool of easy marks out there.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

when she keep slurping after you already minted an ape

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

davecrazy posted:

A lot of rich people and financial institutions does that, it's called leverage:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/leverage.asp

And yes, you are turbo hosed if you lose, see the 2008 recession.

But then, if you are super rich, the government bails you out.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

When you already funged but they keep slurpin'.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Uhhh

https://mobile.twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1550949698491629568

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

I was a little skeptical at first but did my own research. Afterall what could go wrong?

lmao forever

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I did my own research..

I alternate between pity and contempt for these people. I like how 'i did my own research' is just a red flag for a mark now.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Congrats Seraph, you found the one thing to make you an even worse person - pivot to cowardly "I'm blameless for my actions, the man made me do it" self-apologia with zero reflection while insisting from a position of fake moral superiority that others just don't get your advanced moral philosophy.

lol trying to take the moral high ground for the environment while having been, and being, complicit in one of the worst (the worst, balanced for utility v cost) wastes of resources and environmental destruction in the modern day.

unlike cross-oceaning shipping, we can just stop coining. immediately. tomorrow.
we won't because of people like you seraph
this is your fault.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Foo Diddley posted:

lmao forever
Bitcoin: Skeptical but did my own research. Afterall what could go wrong?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1550949276632719361?t=XE-s2YkQ7Sxmt7jPT4l3Ew&s=19

As a blond man, I agree, don't gamble on blond hopes; I prefer to gamble on brunette or sometimes redhead hopes :pervert:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol they FINALLY took it down when Web3 is Going Just Great reported on it

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1550853220972503040

Some have pointed out that Gamestop doesn't control what artwork is sold there, just provide the marketplace, but Gamestop DOES curate what artists get to be on the marketplace. So they've got responsibility.

Now, what happens to whoever owns the NFT?? Does it just blink out of existence? Does that person get their money back? Do all the people that bought and sold it get their money back? (No.)

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 23, 2022

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Now, what happens to whoever owns the NFT?? Does it just blink out of existence? Does that person get their money back? Do all the people that bought and sold it get their money back? (No.)

Good.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I love these "I did my research/due diligence" posts. They should all be saying "I didn't read the agreement that said Celsius can have all my money when they lose a bet."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I did not simply 'give' my 'money' to an 'obvious scammer' like an 'idiot'

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

hey, I did my own research

...which began and ended at those yield percentage numbers, holy moly :eyepop:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Does anyone remember when using IngDirect (an online-only bank) was a big thing? I remember reading about it on this forum. I always wonder if people using that ever got screwed over/robbed in some way.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Unperson_47 posted:

Does anyone remember when using IngDirect (an online-only bank) was a big thing? I remember reading about it on this forum. I always wonder if people using that ever got screwed over/robbed in some way.

Their american arm got bought up by Capital One.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I did my own research. After going over all the numbers it turns out you cannot lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Goodpancakes posted:

I did my own research. After going over all the numbers it turns out you cannot lose.

Parker Lewis spotted