Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Fi was just way too expensive for me. Basically ended up being like $70-80/month per line.

edit: it does look like they've adjusted a little bit. the $50/month one probably isn't too bad.

But I'm doing $15/month from Mint so I can't go back.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Man, if this had a 90hz screen I would be tempted to trade my Pixel 5 in on it. Processor upgrade for $150 basically plus longer support. But without the screen I just can't do it.

MKBHD dwelled a long time on 60hz and while I agree for this price point it would be better to have it, it's really glossing over the fact that all but the Pro iPhones are also only 60hz. He was also wrong and called the back glass when it's only plastic. The review felt a bit slapdash honestly, especially when citing the Nothing phone as a possible alternative without mentioning that it's not available in the US.

Meanwhile, known phone hater Ron at Ars loved it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My partner and parents have been on the phone subscription plan for 5a's through Fi. There doesn't seem to be any major downsides to that program. Thoughts? I pre-ordered a 6a on the payment plan for fi to replace my 4a.

What are the downsides I haven't recognized yet?

It's a 24 month contract with some peculiar terms and conditions:

quote:

Default. You will be in default of these Plan Terms if any of the following occurs:

You do not activate voice and text services on your Device and associate it with the same Google Fi account used to purchase the Device within 30 days of purchase.
You fail to make any payment in full by its due date.
Your Google Fi plan with voice and text services for your Device is terminated or you have more Phone Subscriptions than Google Fi plans with voice and text services.
Your Google Fi account is terminated.
Your Google Payments account is terminated.

Remedies. If you are in default, and to the extent permitted by law, we may exercise one or more of the following remedies: We may charge the full remaining balance to your designated payment method in your Google Payments account or otherwise require you to immediately pay the full remaining balance without the Phone Subscription Discount applied. We may disable your Device's wireless network connectivity capabilities, disable your Device from accessing Google Fi services, and/or suspend or terminate your Google Fi account without any liability to us or our affiliates. We may send unpaid bills to third party collection agencies.

If you're planning on sticking with Fi for 24 months, it's not a bad deal. Just make sure you don't have any issues with your account or Google Payments, which... uh, people do sometimes and support experiences vary considerably, to say the least.

Also if you were thinking about the protection plan, $6/mo seems to be a ripoff and there are many more reports of it being useless on reddit than problems with the basic subscription.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

owls or something posted:

Pixel 6a pre-orders are up... includes free Pixel A buds. Also Google is offering me $300 to trade in my 4a?!?

So potentially around $175 for me to get a 6a and some A buds. I ordered it, we'll see if they hold up their end of the $300 trade in value. Seems like a mistake for a $350 phone I bought 2 years ago but it's officially part of their offer.

Yeah, I'm doing this as why not $180 for a brand new phone and some earbuds I probably won't use? Giving me $300 for a 4a I paid $220 for like 2 years ago seem kinda crazy but I'll take it.

Edit: On the pixel subscription program if you are on fi and don't plan on leaving, it's pretty much just a nice discount on the same phone. Last I looked even if you cancelled early there wasn't a penalty so it's kinda a win win, imo anyhow. (Unless things have changed recently)

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 22, 2022

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Rakeris posted:

Yeah, I'm doing this as why not $180 for a brand new phone and some earbuds I probably won't use? Giving me $300 for a 4a I paid $220 for like 2 years ago seem kinda crazy but I'll take it.

Edit: On the pixel subscription program if you are on fi and don't plan on leaving, it's pretty much just a nice discount on the same phone. Last I looked even if you cancelled early there wasn't a penalty so it's kinda a win win, imo anyhow. (Unless things have changed recently)

Can't wait to take slightly better cat pictures to text to my wife!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well. went to visit my dad, and he drops this in my lap:

so is this a good phone? I guess if it's a great one to have I'll upgrade from my...Note 3. I haven't really paid attention to phones since I got my mom her Samsung A51, so I'm not sure about the pros/cons of this one. He said he picked it up during the Prime Day sale but wouldn't elaborate. If it's a poo poo from an rear end phone, then I'll see if he can return it and look into getting something not bad if he's going to insist on buying one for me.

I'm guessing it's not something I can repair myself. That's one of the things I've loved about the Note 3, any parts that wore out I can get for like $2.50 and do the entire repair process myself, and to this day it still works fine, though some apps no longer work on it and certain things run slower than they used to.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 22, 2022

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
S22 ultra is one of the best phones on the market right now, up there with the iphone 13 pro max

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Can't wait to take slightly better cat pictures to text to my wife!

This, right here fam, living the best life!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So how are the Pixel A Buds?

I'm sort of old and have not yet used a wireless earbud.

I've been happy with mine

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm on Fi and my Moto G Power (2020) is really showing its age. What's a decent option around $300-$350? I'm okay with used.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm on Fi and my Moto G Power (2020) is really showing its age. What's a decent option around $300-$350? I'm okay with used.

Google Fi has the Samsung S22 for $299. S22+ for 399:
https://fi.google.com/about/phones/?pli=1

Also some trade-in deals for the new Pixel 6a but you'd have to check if your phone is eligible.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm guessing it's not something I can repair myself. That's one of the things I've loved about the Note 3, any parts that wore out I can get for like $2.50 and do the entire repair process myself, and to this day it still works fine, though some apps no longer work on it and certain things run slower than they used to.

Way too much information about your family dynamic but also that’s the best android phone on the market.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 22, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I was worked up when i made that post and meant to edit that out but got sidetracked with other stuff and forgot. Ok, I'll use it then, thanks

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
My Pixel 6 order kept getting its shipping date pushed back by Amazon, so I ended up cancelling it, buying a Pixel 3a XL from a 99.9% ebay seller for $110, and preordering the 6a after seeing the sick trade-in values and the great reviews across the board. A $500 Pixel 6 may be a better value than a $450 6a, but it's not a better value than a $260 6a, especially since I'll value the extra year of support and the less bulky size.

Are the Pixel Buds I'm getting with it any good?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Quixzlizx posted:

I like mine ok. I use them when I am exercising. Fit me well, which a lot of in ear buds do not.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rexxed posted:

Google Fi has the Samsung S22 for $299. S22+ for 399:
https://fi.google.com/about/phones/?pli=1

That's for new subscribers (or new lines*) only. Fi hasn't offered equivalent discounts for current subscribers since they got rid of S21 stock like 6 months ago.

*If you're on Simply Unlimited with 2 lines, you can inexplicably add a third and reduce the total cost from $80/month to $75 (plus taxes/fees on the extra line that vary by state), but you would still keep to keep any new phone on the third line for however many days they require to get the discount. I think it's 4 months now.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Skarsnik posted:

I've been happy with mine

Same. Definitely far more comfortable with better audio quality than the default Airpods.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Is there a way to stop my phone from reducing audio volume on physical plugged headphones (not Bluetooth).

I'm using a Pixel 3xl plugged directly into an old Bluetooth speaker (with a USB C to 3.5mm jack) to play white noise at night. The speaker is old and we need to have the volume near max on the phone to get a reasonable level of white noise. (I'm not using Bluetooth because the speaker is old and the Bluetooth connection cuts out sometimes, which is jarring)

At seemingly random times the phone drops the volume down to ~25% or so and throws up a warning about how loud volumes can damage your ears or something like that.

I've used the developer options to "disable absolute volume" but that seems to only work for Bluetooth. Is there a way to do the same for wired audio, or somehow prevent the phone from randomly dropping volume?

Edit: phone is as fully updated as a 3xl can be. Running 12, completely stock.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
The Verizon 6a is $50 more than an unlocked phone. Do I need to get the Verizon model if we use Verizon?

Looking forward to getting back more than what I paid for my used 4a last year even with the weird line down the screen it has now.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 23, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shyfted One posted:

The Verizon 6a is $50 more than an unlocked phone. Do I need to get the Verizon model if we use Verizon?

Looking forward to getting back more than what I paid for my used 4a last year even with the weird line down the screen it has now.

The Verizon-specific model is so it can access their higher-tier 5G, like mmWave. Otherwise you are limited to their Nationwide 5G which is closer to 4G LTE in speed. It's moot here because Verizon doesn't have 5G in my town at all yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, the millimeter wave tax. See also why everyone complained about the price of the Pixel 5 in the US.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Is it actually worth it? Looking up mmWave it sounds like the amount of places I could even make use of short ranged high frequency 5G is very very limited.

And it'll likely I'll need a 5G SIM card, right? Can't just put my 4G SIM in the unlocked 6a?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I believe SIM cards just hold subscriber info nowadays. Verizon first started requiring SIM cards when they rolled out LTE.

I’m of the opinion that 5G provides little to no benefit for what LTE does already.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I do get much lower pings on 5G, as well as much more stable and reliable connections in crowded areas like festivals/stadiums. Even though the speed isn't any faster than LTE-A here (Canada is all sub-6 5G)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I got around to upgrading my Pixel 2 to Lineage 19.1 so I figured I'd share how things are going for anyone else in the old phone crew. Battery replacement seems to have went well and is still holding a full charge 8 months on. The estimated mAh only started going under 100% of design capacity recently because I've been only partially charging it instead of plugging it in at night due to laziness. The trend line looks like it's still at or above 2700 mAh which is great.

Before:

Immediately after:

Today:

I gave building my own kernel a try today to add the Wireguard kernel module and got that running, which is supposed to help with battery life. Beyond that I can't think of anything else I want from it; I feel like I can keep using this thing for another few years and still be happy. If the kernel module ends up reducing the battery impact to almost nothing like some people have said, I think I'm going to try staying permanently connected to my home network and see about migrating stuff like photo management from Google to my NAS.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
On the pixel 6, the lock screen has a "now playing" widget that constantly detects surrounding music.

Is there any way to access that outside of the lock screen? If you click on it you get a "Now Playing History" screen that shows previous results, but if I want to actively check what's playing now then I have to lock my phone and then tap the tiny icon to get it to search, which feels a bit weird...

I know there are other dedicated apps that do it, but it feels like the functionality is already there I just want a better screen for it...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

fuf posted:

On the pixel 6, the lock screen has a "now playing" widget that constantly detects surrounding music.

Is there any way to access that outside of the lock screen? If you click on it you get a "Now Playing History" screen that shows previous results, but if I want to actively check what's playing now then I have to lock my phone and then tap the tiny icon to get it to search, which feels a bit weird...

I know there are other dedicated apps that do it, but it feels like the functionality is already there I just want a better screen for it...

There's a widget button, in the google section

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Skarsnik posted:

There's a widget button, in the google section

My man! Thank you, honestly don't know why I couldn't find that.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

fuf posted:

You can also ask Google Assistant what's playing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I kinda feel silly. Trading in an old 4a that I like to pull out of the drawer every now and again to play with Android for $300 towards a $450 Pixel 6a with an included pair of $100 Pixel Buds A Series seems like a no brainer, but my every day phone is an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Like, I got plenty of phone. But what is essentially $150 for a toy phone and ear buds seems like a great deal! I don't know what to do!

I think I have to do it, just on a value front? And Google is gonna support it for, what, three years?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I love how there's been a couple of posts about "old 4a's" and I'm excited that mine will get at least one more year of updates so I won't have to worry about getting rid of it for a long time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Well, I preordered. $150 for an updated Pixel and some buds is too good of a value, even if the phone is less than perfect.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

I kinda feel silly. Trading in an old 4a that I like to pull out of the drawer every now and again to play with Android for $300 towards a $450 Pixel 6a with an included pair of $100 Pixel Buds A Series seems like a no brainer, but my every day phone is an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Like, I got plenty of phone. But what is essentially $150 for a toy phone and ear buds seems like a great deal! I don't know what to do!

I think I have to do it, just on a value front? And Google is gonna support it for, what, three years?

This is how it starts.

It gets 5 years of security updates.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

bull3964 posted:

This is how it starts.

I got e:fb while replying, but I figure I'll go ahead and finish the post.

The Pixel 6 series get 3 years of Android updates and 5 years of security updates.

https://support.google.com/pixelpho...er-pixel-phones

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I got e:fb while replying, but I figure I'll go ahead and finish the post.

The Pixel 6 series get 3 years of Android updates and 5 years of security updates.

https://support.google.com/pixelpho...er-pixel-phones

Neat!

bull3964 posted:

This is how it starts.

I've already been on the unnecessary phone train. Currently holding two is better than the three or four I was maintaining out of indecision. I am nowhere near your level.

It is a good deal, though, even knowing the reviews are middling.

Even though I love the iPhone hardware, I still use Google's ecosystem since I use a gaming pc and my wife is on Android/Google's stuff, and I like to swap it up every so often :shrug:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Soul Glo posted:

Well, I preordered. $150 for an updated Pixel and some buds is too good of a value, even if the phone is less than perfect.

Yeah, I only have two more payments until I own my 4a 5G from google fi. It's been a great phone for the last 22 months. Not planning to upgrade for a while, maybe the 7a will be cool.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Pre-ordered a 6A for my wife, trading in her 3A for an estimated $300. Won't be able to get anywhere near that much for that phone any time in the future (plus it's EOL as of this month anyway), might as well go for it.

I'm just really annoyed that my 3 died a month or two ago and I couldn't take advantage of this as well.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Quixzlizx posted:

My Pixel 6 order kept getting its shipping date pushed back by Amazon, so I ended up cancelling it, buying a Pixel 3a XL from a 99.9% ebay seller for $110, and preordering the 6a after seeing the sick trade-in values and the great reviews across the board. A $500 Pixel 6 may be a better value than a $450 6a, but it's not a better value than a $260 6a, especially since I'll value the extra year of support and the less bulky size.

My one issue with my Pixel Buds is mostly an issue of me having a bunch of bluetooth items lying around and sometimes not remembering to switch some of the other ones off.
My Pixel Buds A seem to be my lowest-priority Bluetooth connections to my phone; so sometimes something else that's still on with a bluetooth connection will connect and steal the audio, such as a shower radio or a pillow speaker.

When that happens, It seems like there are only two options to switch the audio back to the pixel buds A:
1) Go to the phone, and re-select the pixel buds as default audio. This doesn't typically require me to unlock the phone, but it's still annoying.
2) Take the buds out of my ears, put them in the case, and take them out again.

Every other bluetooth device I have does a "Set me as the active audio connection" thing when I hit whatever button does the "Play/Pause" action is hit, if multiple bluetooth headsets/speakers are connected. I'm not sure why the Pixel Buds A don't.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for the impressions. I don't really use much BT audio in my house, so that particular issue shouldn't affect me much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

bull3964 posted:

Looks like Asus is keeping the sub 6" form factor for the Zenfone 9.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/7/23198582/asus-zenfone-9-leak-scroll-swipe-backpack-mount-gimmicks-flagship

I have to say, I quite like the design of the matte black rails and that blue back.

So, SD 8 Gen 1 Plus, 128gb and 256gb storage options, dual camera setup, headphone jack, power button fingerprint sensor that can be used as a scroll wheel apparently. 4300mAh battery.

It may not be a bad device for those who want a smaller option.
As I thought my USB-C port on my OP7T was messed up (cable didn't stay in) I was strongly considering this or the Xiaomi 12. Then I cleaned the USB port and the cable stays in as it should again, which probably was for the better since the Zenfone apparently gets 2 years of updates and security patches, which in today's market just seems like a bad joke. Xiaomi would do 3 years of updates and 4 of security patches iirc which is a lot more reasonable. I reckon they've become a lot faster in releasing too (compared to OP which still hasn't pushed out A12 for the 7T, which might be for the better anyways since the OP A12 launch for their devices have been one big disaster after another as far as I know), but MIUI for sure is a divider which I'm not sure about having used it previously.

Both phones are smaller form factor which should appeal to those with smaller hands who still prefer to use their phone with one hand, S22 being the only other obvious choice (albeit a bit more expensive afaik).