Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Have they said how far the first season of Sandman goes? I thought most of the Corinthian stuff was in book 2 at least.

Also, it looks like Patton Oswalt is now the main author of Season of Mists, confirming that this is the worst timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

Have they said how far the first season of Sandman goes? I thought most of the Corinthian stuff was in book 2 at least.

Also, it looks like Patton Oswalt is now the main author of Season of Mists, confirming that this is the worst timeline.

The show will cover the first two volumes. So Morpheus' capture and return to power and then Rose's search for her brother and the cereal convention.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah it seems they're doing at least Dolls House.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Daredevil: Born Again

18 Episodes.

https://twitter.com/TheRochaSays/status/1550998557603246080

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1550999524520239104

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Thunderbolts capping off Phase 5 as an Avengers movie typically would is a good move.

Definitely feels like they're just ending Phase 4 because they feel like it, pretty aimless.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
18 episodes, that's gotta cover a good portion of the Bendis run too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

18 episodes!? :eyepop:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1551000839283585024

18 episodes is fuckin' nuts.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

*sigh*

I should probably finish S3 of Daredevil, huh

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

I am hyped.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is so many episodes. I can't wait.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

This trailer is so much better than the last one. Now I'm actually looking forward to this show.

And heeeeeyyyy who's that showing up at the end with a fancy new yellow/red costume?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That honestly makes me nervous, the big issue with the Netflix shows was they were too damned long. Maybe they're 30 min, 9hrs total would work better

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

18 episodes will be fine if they let it be, y'know, episodic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

howe_sam posted:

please god

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think we’ve gotten rumors that DD will be in Echo and that Jessica Jones might be too. So I think it’s possible “Born Again” might be a bigger series than most kind of tying the whole Netflix Defenders world into the MCU.

But 18 episodes at once a week also means 4 months? That’s definitely new unless it’s double episodes. But even 9 weeks is an expansion. So it seems like they gotta have something in mind or else it’s just the beginning of the new approach.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Jamesman posted:

This trailer is so much better than the last one. Now I'm actually looking forward to this show.

And heeeeeyyyy who's that showing up at the end with a fancy new yellow/red costume?
Night Thrasher!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

howe_sam posted:

They could do straight episodic for like 9 episodes to set the tone then ease into the overarching storyline. Like Supernatural season one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So according to a new interview with Neil Gaiman they cast Mason Alexander Park as Desire because they messaged him on Twitter asking for the contact info of the casting director for the show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

That honestly makes me nervous, the big issue with the Netflix shows was they were too damned long. Maybe they're 30 min, 9hrs total would work better

"We're aware of the criticisms of the Netflix shows and have decided to double down in response"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They keep Peter in highschool because Ultimate is the better early Spider-Man version.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I think we’ve gotten rumors that DD will be in Echo and that Jessica Jones might be too. So I think it’s possible “Born Again” might be a bigger series than most kind of tying the whole Netflix Defenders world into the MCU.

From what I recall hearing, all the Netflix stuff is going to remain separate and this new stuff is a reboot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I legit gasped at "he doesn't mean that". Even if it's a one-off gag I thought they were going to drop that aspect entirely.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Did Armor Wars get quietly cancelled or something?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jamesman posted:

From what I recall hearing, all the Netflix stuff is going to remain separate and this new stuff is a reboot.

I've seen it speculated on and insisted by fans a million times but I don't think I've ever seen anything official or even rumored. All I know is that the shows are on Disney+ and two of the actors have already returned and Daredevil seems to be kind of a big deal going forward with him getting a double sized show and being in Echo and She Hulk.

I've said this before but I think its unnecessarily complicated to bring back the actors but reboot everything. Like what's the point? Aside from the main characters what continuity even really matters from the Netflix shows? Daredevil, Jessica, Luke, Danny, Punisher, Kingpin, Elektra, and maybe Bullseye, Misty, and Colleen? Karen and Foggy tossed in? Maybe Hellcat? Aside from that is there really anything you can't handwave with "its been years and the Snap, a lot of poo poo happened"? And if you really, really need to recast someone for contractual reasons or because you just hate Danny like you can do that. We survived it with Rhodey. You can literally make someone else Iron Fist. And there's a multiverse.

So yeah, my thinking is that the logical approach is just a "soft reboot." No picking up on stories, but no direct contradiction either. Just tell new stories with the same characters and leave the people invested in the Netflix shows hooked and feeling like the thing they liked is returning instead of some weird thing where it looks like its returning but its actually new. And if you really feel the need to explain whether Luke Cage is a crime lord or not you can be like "that was like 10 years ago and a snap ago and things got weird and I got in over my head and I got arrested again and need a lawyer so have you ever heard of this program called Thunderbolts"? I dunno. It just seems to me like the path of least resistance once you've made the choice to bring back Charlie Cox and Vincent D'onofrio is to just go with the flow.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Did Armor Wars get quietly cancelled or something?

Nah, likely in phase 6. It hasn't started filming yet. Stuff from Ironheart will probably lead into it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Luke Cage probably not showing up any time soon since his CBS show keeps getting renewed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aww no Kitty.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Aww no Kitty.

I mean, she wasn't on the original show and she wasn't really in the comics at that time. She in Excalibur then was (checks notes) a SHIELD agent?!?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So so far Daredevil is in She Hulk, Echo, and his own 18 episode series it looks like? They're really going all in it seems (although I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those things where he's in the last 2 minutes of She Hulk)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A long as Daredevil steers clear of Elektra, then its good.

I've not gone back and read the issues, but is it still any good? Like its always held up as the best Daredevil story ever, but its at this point 40 years old, is it like dark knight returns or last exit to springfield and no one has ever bothered to reevaluate it after the fact?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Outside of how poorly Born Again treats Karen, it's still a real good story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A bunch of people are freaking out about Netflix Sandman not being accurate to the source because Patton Oswalt is playing a character who wasn't in the comics. Only problem, the character was in the comics and a relatively prominent one, he's basically the closest thing to an audience insert and the one who gets exposited too when some explanation is needed.

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1551081375976923137?s=20&t=lzPpkUiL9DPYKKEE6MhVUg

Also Gaiman has already said the show takes some liberties, if you want a transcript listen to the Audible series (which, while it's been a while since I've read the books, the audible series is as near a transcript as I could imagine), and honestly I'm happy the show will change things, like while it was ground breaking and just amazingly progressive when it was first published, A Game of You could really use some changes if it's being written and set in the 2020s.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Opopanax posted:

So so far Daredevil is in She Hulk, Echo, and his own 18 episode series it looks like? They're really going all in it seems (although I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those things where he's in the last 2 minutes of She Hulk)

Feige also mentioned Daredevil and Spider-Man as the street level wing of the MCU so he'll probably be the prerequisite MCU character in Spider-Man 4.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Outside of how poorly Born Again treats Karen, it's still a real good story.

100% agree with this. Also the way we'll know if Born Again is an actual reboot or just a continuation that probably never mentions Iron Fist or Luke Cage except in the briefest passing will be if Fisk knows at the start who Daredevil is.

I do kinda think it's gonna take a lot from the Bendis run, since they passed on the chance to do something similar in Far From Home, and I just can't see how you can stretch the original Miller story to 18 episodes unless it's like 10 minute shorts before the next 3 other Marvel shows or something insane like that.

I do think it's darkly hilarious Agents of SHIELD went on for 7-8 seasons, and no one bothered to tell Thor or Steve Rogers that Phil Coulson was alive. Sif met him in the TV show, Nick Fury knew from the start. He's never brought up in the movies and while everyone is (rightfully) excited about Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onfrey coming back, while Greg did What if...? there's not even a rumor of him showing up in anything live action.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I guess there wasn't any mention of that Werewolf by night Halloween special? I don't think it has ever officially been announced, but I assumed they would talk about it, at least a little bit.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

A bunch of people are freaking out about Netflix Sandman not being accurate to the source because Patton Oswalt is playing a character who wasn't in the comics. Only problem, the character was in the comics and a relatively prominent one, he's basically the closest thing to an audience insert and the one who gets exposited too when some explanation is needed.

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1551081375976923137?s=20&t=lzPpkUiL9DPYKKEE6MhVUg

Also Gaiman has already said the show takes some liberties, if you want a transcript listen to the Audible series (which, while it's been a while since I've read the books, the audible series is as near a transcript as I could imagine), and honestly I'm happy the show will change things, like while it was ground breaking and just amazingly progressive when it was first published, A Game of You could really use some changes if it's being written and set in the 2020s.

A bunch of people are freaking out over Death being a black lady as well.
Who the hell freaks out at Matthew? He was a "new character" seeing that he first appeared as a human in Swamp Thing before Sandman and was used to get a lot of exposition put on him in the comics. If they want to get upset about anything because something isn't "accurate" it would be Lady Constantine appearing in modern days but who cares. People are idiots sometimes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will Martian Manhunter still appear and give Dream some Oreos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

A long as Daredevil steers clear of Elektra, then its good.

I've not gone back and read the issues, but is it still any good? Like its always held up as the best Daredevil story ever, but its at this point 40 years old, is it like dark knight returns or last exit to springfield and no one has ever bothered to reevaluate it after the fact?

What’s wrong with Last Exit to Springfield?