Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

RhoA posted:

Yes, you unlock it before endgame, but you can only go to places where you’ve unlocked the gateways.

Wait, sorry, that means having been to them? As in when I first reach one, or do I need to actually go through them back to the bridge for each one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Left field, but if you want that huge rpg feel then Skyrim hypermod Enderal is fantastic. Really good characters and plot, and the way it tweaks Skyrim systems (you level skills through buying books) is well considered.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

Wait, sorry, that means having been to them? As in when I first reach one, or do I need to actually go through them back to the bridge for each one?

Sorry, you just need to have been to them. If I recall, you just have to activate them.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

RhoA posted:

Sorry, you just need to have been to them. If I recall, you just have to activate them.

Yeah, thanks, just got to the actual unlock. Time to start crossing out stuff.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Left field, but if you want that huge rpg feel then Skyrim hypermod Enderal is fantastic. Really good characters and plot, and the way it tweaks Skyrim systems (you level skills through buying books) is well considered.

This sounds rad.

Is it the sort of thing that you can also mix other skyrim mods into, ones that just make prettier models or w/e, like big titty argonians. Or would you run this one total-conversion mod only?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

OhFunny posted:

I suppose I can axe the Hold For Better GPU one now.
Wasn't the price of GPU's supposed to drop with the implosion of crypto?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Wasn't the price of GPU's supposed to drop with the implosion of crypto?

Thought they were pretty close to MSRP nowadays

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

RhoA posted:

They are, but tbf, even if somebody was waiting for a price drop doesn't mean they have the 600+ to drop on a GPU right away/right now. I broke down and upgraded earlier this year (before the drop :negative) but I wasn't going to just leave a spare wad of cash in the bank in the hopes that prices dropped.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Agent355 posted:

This sounds rad.

Is it the sort of thing that you can also mix other skyrim mods into, ones that just make prettier models or w/e, like big titty argonians. Or would you run this one total-conversion mod only?

Conversion only, it's pretty much it's own game.

It's also god drat amazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agent355 posted:

This sounds rad.

Yeah you can totally add other mods, it effectively comes with a bunch of texture and lighting mods, but it is still Skyrim. It is possible they need to be Enderal specific but I'm not sure about that. Enderal: Forgotten Stories (Special Edition) https://g.co/kgs/AxnGBq

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RhoA posted:

They are but a 3080Ti is still $1200 or more, and the 3070s are still an easy $500 or more. If crypto doesn't bounce back it's probably smarter to wait for the next series and spending what you'd spend now plus an extra $100 or so.

The second hand market, yeah you might be able to score a deal, then you're dealing with the same issues you always have if you buy used high spec tech stuff and it's mostly likely been running at 100% capacity for years straight so it's got a shortened lifespan.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

pentyne posted:

They are but a 3080Ti is still $1200 or more, and the 3070s are still an easy $500 or more. If crypto doesn't bounce back it's probably smarter to wait for the next series and spending what you'd spend now plus an extra $100 or so.

Yeah, I agree with you. At this point, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, may as well just wait to see what the 4 series is bringing to the table.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Just bought and played some Prodeus and daaaamn

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RhoA posted:

Yeah, I agree with you. At this point, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, may as well just wait to see what the 4 series is bringing to the table.

Going by what's been leaked, it looks like the 4000 series is going give a significant performance boost over the 3000 series at the cost of requiring more power. Assuming the crypto dip holds and they launch with reasonable prices/availability it looks like it's worth it to wait.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

with the ps5 now starting to gain traction on establishing the benchmark for what will be this console generation's standard hardware for the next few years, and pc games that intend to have console ports (i.e. most of them) having to adhere to that hardware, i don't think holding out for a 4000 series card is anything but complete overkill. if anything, hold out for the 4000 cards to be released so the 3000's see a big price drop and then scoop up one of them instead

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 24, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have PTSD from the 3- series release. Buy now because you might not find them later.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cowcaster posted:

with the ps5 now starting to gain traction on establishing the benchmark for what will be this console generation's standard hardware for the next few years, and pc games that intend to have console ports (i.e. most of them) having to adhere to that hardware, i don't think holding out for a 4000 series card is anything but complete overkill. if anything, hold out for the 4000 cards to be released so the 3000's see a big price drop and then scoop up one of them instead

VR demands all the GPU ok

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

vr's a stupid gimmick

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Guess it depends on the rest of your setup too. Like I have a 3070 but I also have a 1440p monitor, and for me to even consider getting something newer I'd also have to tack a 4k display onto the pricetag, and I wouldn't want to give up the 144hz so last I checked that's about another $1,000 on top of everything else. That said if you're in the market and don't have a 3-series you may as well wait for a 4-series announcement at this point just to see if it causes the 3s to drop in price at all , though based on how the previous gen held up I doubt it'll be super significant.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cowcaster posted:

vr's a stupid gimmick

mlyp

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I got a 3070 Ti a few months ago and it plays everything I can throw at it at 1440p maxed out at over 60fps, often up to 144. The only things it "struggles" with are maxing out raytracing settings on games like Cyberpunk, and even then it's perfectly playable. And Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition runs incredibly smoothly which is some kind of black magic I'm pretty sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There's always ray tracing. It sure was pretty in Cyberpunk. And it's extras demanding in Dying Light 2. It'll only get more relevant.

(I regret not waiting, but I was buying when there was no end in sight to the pricing insanity (of course, that changed a month or two later)).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

:thurman:

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

KakerMix posted:

VR demands all the GPU ok

If only VR didn’t make me want to vomit every time I use it :gonk:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RhoA posted:

If only VR didn’t make me want to vomit every time I use it :gonk:

:same:

I start getting a bit nauseous at the one hour mark, and if I ignore it and keep playing, my entire day is ruined at the 3 hour mark.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I make VR animations but do most of my work watching the distorted 2D version because wearing my Quest 2 for more than about 30 minutes gives me a splitting headache. VR itself is a good idea, having to strap a brick to your face to use it is a pretty severe drawback.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so far that's 3 ostensible supporters of vr admitting that it causes them literal physical distress after a brief period of playtime, sounds like a rousing endorsement

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I make VR animations but do most of my work watching the distorted 2D version because wearing my Quest 2 for more than about 30 minutes gives me a splitting headache. VR itself is a good idea, having to strap a brick to your face to use it is a pretty severe drawback.

might be a question of needing the tech to mature. the playstation vr made me nauseous because it was too heavy, and the resolution was crap.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Rinkles posted:

might be a question of needing the tech to mature. the playstation vr made me nauseous because it was too heavy, and the resolution was crap.

It's mostly the weight at this point. The Quest 1 resolution was low enough that you could clearly make out individual pixels, the Quest 2 increases that resolution significantly while reducing the weight at the same time and allowing for higher frame rates. Give it another few generations and I could recommend it without caveats. Playing Resident Evil 4 in VR was a great experience for the 30-60 minutes that I could tolerate it, but there were a few times where I was desperate to get to a save point so I could take the headset off. Once or twice I just gave up and quit without saving.

E: Also the mandatory Facebook connection is garbage. Get rid of that poo poo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cowcaster posted:

so far that's 3 ostensible supporters of vr admitting that it causes them literal physical distress after a brief period of playtime, sounds like a rousing endorsement

Like it's cool if you want to be the stereotype, this person doing this thing, but that still doesn't change my point which is VR pushes GPUs harder than anything else not-VR outside of enterprise rendering. Spitting out two copies of a game for each eye at at least 90 fps, absolutely minimum, needs lots of juice.

In closing, give me the 4xxx series so I can continue since 2014 (jesus christ) in my lovely gimmick.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sebmojo posted:

Unfortunately you're still playing Skyrim, which was too much for me to stick with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
enderal has a steam store page

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

There's a modlist for enderal that is basically a vanilla plus thing. Makes it look a whole lot better.

https://www.nexusmods.com/enderalspecialedition/mods/389

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

KakerMix posted:

Like it's cool if you want to be the stereotype, this person doing this thing, but that still doesn't change my point which is VR pushes GPUs harder than anything else not-VR outside of enterprise rendering. Spitting out two copies of a game for each eye at at least 90 fps, absolutely minimum, needs lots of juice.

In closing, give me the 4xxx series so I can continue since 2014 (jesus christ) in my lovely gimmick.

yeah, i guess i can't really argue with that, if you want vr you want the beefiest card, that's totally fair. i just think if you're a general pc gamer pondering what card to shoot for once prices come down, vr capability isn't going to be the make or break between a 3000 card or a 4000 card

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wiltsghost posted:

There's a modlist for enderal that is basically a vanilla plus thing. Makes it look a whole lot better.

https://www.nexusmods.com/enderalspecialedition/mods/389

The look wasn't the problem.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

it's the modern virtual boy

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

vr is a gimmick but its a very cool gimmick

well made VR guns in particular are extremely fun to shoot

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
VR is neat but neither the hardware and software is there, and it's not going to be for everyone since people tend to really vary on what causes motion sickness in them. I'm 100% with nearly anything in VR, but I know folk who've only discovered they had any form of motion sickness for the first time by putting on a headset, and even stalwart folk can get pummeled by something having wildly-fluctuating framerate or extreme visual/inertial discrepancy. We're probably still a solid generation or two away for PC hardware to really be able to push VR experiences at the fidelity most people want from it at a framerate that a majority of people can handle (likely higher then 120) and more importantly a decade from any software developer getting the experience to know how to adapt experiences in such a way to avoid discomfort without playing it utterly safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Locke posted:

VR is neat but neither the hardware and software is there, and it's not going to be for everyone since people tend to really vary on what causes motion sickness in them. I'm 100% with nearly anything in VR, but I know folk who've only discovered they had any form of motion sickness for the first time by putting on a headset, and even stalwart folk can get pummeled by something having wildly-fluctuating framerate or extreme visual/inertial discrepancy. We're probably still a solid generation or two away for PC hardware to really be able to push VR experiences at the fidelity most people want from it at a framerate that a majority of people can handle (likely higher then 120) and more importantly a decade from any software developer getting the experience to know how to adapt experiences in such a way to avoid discomfort without playing it utterly safe.

my major issue with the whole thing is this is word for word the same stuff they were saying when i was a kid in 1996