Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Nice looking jump but don't forget about drainage at the bottom of the transition, it's easier to dig down like you did but it'll be a mud pit pretty quick and never dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The guy at the local store pointed me to towards a Giant Talon 2 29" hightail. I live in the pacific northwest and don't know anything about bikes except that I want to ride one around in the forest. Is this good??

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kazr posted:

The guy at the local store pointed me to towards a Giant Talon 2 29" hightail. I live in the pacific northwest and don't know anything about bikes except that I want to ride one around in the forest. Is this good??

Yeah, it's kinda about how much you're spending on it but if it's around MSRP that's a fine option. You're just getting into it sounds like?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I got a Talon 2 27.5" as my starter bike in PNW and I still love it.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Yeah just getting into it. It was priced at $750 which was about my upper limit of what I was expecting to spend.

Any recommendations on a helmet? I have a long head

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

They're all safe and tested to the same specifications so you kinda want to try a bunch on and see what feels best.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Nice looking jump but don't forget about drainage at the bottom of the transition, it's easier to dig down like you did but it'll be a mud pit pretty quick and never dry.

This is LA, it doesn't rain, sadly.. there's sprinklers here though, and it looks like there's already channels eroded out where they flow. The dirt here is also I'd say 70% sand as this maybe a mile from the beach, and is pretty crummy actually, but it's fast draining. Hoping that the sprinklers don't just create a bog at the bottom. It's only a couple blocks from my place so I'll come by and maintain it regularly so long as I continue messing around on it!

VelociBacon posted:

That's quite a jump, is that on private land or is it already torn down ?

This is city land, there's a strip between the highway and the first sidestreet, hard to explain kind of, but the image below explains it a bit better. This jump and a couple others were here already but they had been sitting for years without anybody touching them, so my buddy and I just went in, cleaned this one up, rebuilt it and dug out some more runup. You can see in the image below the cursor is where these derelict jumps are, it's a city owned swath of land, I'm actually going to try to put together an advocacy group in town here to see if we can get the city to approve development of this land into a bike park/pumptrack with fundraising to pay for it. The good thing about being in a small town inside of LA (El Segundo is like a weird Pleasantville type, small town everybody knows everybody, town pride, etc, it's very bizarre but also a nice place to live) is that the residents here are very supportive of community developed ideas and projects. There's SOOOOO many parks in town, this is like the last unclaimed patch of soil that isn't owned by Chevron, Hyperion or LAX. It would be perfect for something small but fun. We have rec parks, skateparks, but no cyclist representation so I figured why not, may a well try to build something meaningful here, no?

kazr posted:

Yeah just getting into it. It was priced at $750 which was about my upper limit of what I was expecting to spend.

Funny shaped head crew represent! As mentioned, just try on a ton of them and see what fits. You'll have a much easier time with a half-lid style, but of course a full face will be more protective. I tried on 5 different full face helmets before finally settling on a Specialized Gambit. Prior to that I had a Troy Lee A2 half lid which fit great. A lot of helmets these days have a ratchet type mechanism in the back that allows for some pretty decent adjustability for cases like ours where not everything fits out of the box.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 24, 2022

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I can’t speak for having a weird shaped head but the A2 is probably the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever worn.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

kazr posted:

At that price point that's a nice first bike OP.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My girlfriend and I are going to do a road trip from essentially Grand Junction to Bend and back. We've ridden Fruita, GJ, Moab, and the SLC area a ton and want to try new areas. Kinda thinking Boise, Bend, Sun Valley but open to suggestions along or near that route. We have 11-12 days to travel. Anything we must ride?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I spent about 2 months riding around Phill's trail complex and Sisters' trail networks. Highly recommend both.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

cursedshitbox posted:

I spent about 2 months riding around Phill's trail complex and Sisters' trail networks. Highly recommend both.

Going down that way in Sept for Phil's. I regularly have to go to Denver so Three Sisters has also been ridden a time or three. All good stuff!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Ive not been but both Sun Valley and Boise have been recommended to me by friends I'd trust.

I find Bend to be OK and you're going to be there when it's super hot, but probably not a reason to skip.

Not sure if Oakridge is on your list, but that's a fun trail system. Post Canyon in Hood River is pretty dang good, as is Syncline across the river in Wa.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I was at Post on Monday - it’s a ton of fun. There’s a ridiculous amount of trails that cover pretty much everything you could want. Sandy Ridge is on the other side of Hood and has good trails too. I wouldn’t go out of my way for it, but if you’re in the area it’s certainly worth a visit.

Seconding Oakridge. I haven’t been but Blackrock is supposed to have some really good freeride/dh. It’s just outside of Salem.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've done a bit of riding in Boise but mostly mellow foothill trails. I'd say go up Bogus basin and checkout their bike park stuff and if you can get shuttled up there then you can also hit trails like Mahalo and Dry Creek which are supposed to be good

I think Table Rock has a few good things too

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

yoohoo posted:

I was at Post on Monday - it’s a ton of fun. There’s a ridiculous amount of trails that cover pretty much everything you could want. Sandy Ridge is on the other side of Hood and has good trails too. I wouldn’t go out of my way for it, but if you’re in the area it’s certainly worth a visit.

Seconding Oakridge. I haven’t been but Blackrock is supposed to have some really good freeride/dh. It’s just outside of Salem.

Blackrock is really fun but imo limited options, maybe good for a day or two at most.

Out of the way unless you're already in Portland, but the Rocky Point / Scappoose trails are super fun and my local spot, I'd recommend pretty much every trail out there. You need to be a NWTA member to ride there and get access to the maps on trailforks which might not be worth it if you're just coming through.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Been a while since I was last here...

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Jehde posted:

Been a while since I was last here...

:respek:

Keep it rubber side down, man. Hope it's not too hot down there.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I went on a super fun 16 mile ride with a good friend today and it was nothing but swooping descents, fun and playful climbs and being fast in the flats. We had rolled the dice on the trail in question being potentially unridable due to recent rains, and were instead rewarded with absolutely hero dirt.

Riding bikes in the woods is really good and we should all endeavor to do that as much as we can. Goddamn I love being a mountain biker.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I went on a super fun 16 mile ride with a good friend today and it was nothing but swooping descents, fun and playful climbs and being fast in the flats. We had rolled the dice on the trail in question being potentially unridable due to recent rains, and were instead rewarded with absolutely hero dirt.

Riding bikes in the woods is really good and we should all endeavor to do that as much as we can. Goddamn I love being a mountain biker.

:coolfish:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Noob question. The dropper seat (stock transx) on my new to me polygon d6 is about an inch too high for me to ride comfortably (In raised position), even with the post pushed as far in the frame as it will go. There doesnt seem to be any mechanism to lower it further, it does not have the rotatable collar mechanism some droppers have.

Assuming im not missing a way to adjust, im looking for a dropper with shorter overall height from collar to full extension. Is that the measurement listed in specs? im confused exactly what length im looking for.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

PaintVagrant posted:

Noob question. The dropper seat (stock transx) on my new to me polygon d6 is about an inch too high for me to ride comfortably (In raised position), even with the post pushed as far in the frame as it will go. There doesnt seem to be any mechanism to lower it further, it does not have the rotatable collar mechanism some droppers have.

Assuming im not missing a way to adjust, im looking for a dropper with shorter overall height from collar to full extension. Is that the measurement listed in specs? im confused exactly what length im looking for.

You might be able to shim it by getting some extra upper bushings and stacking them in to reduce the travel.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah that extension length is generally how they're measured. Only way to know for sure that you order the right one is a lot of measuring and checking out specs of whichever one you're looking at.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks dudes. I dont think I can add bushings, but I’ll look into it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Has anyone done anything janky like add a loop of cable between the collar and the saddle to arrest the post extension early?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Oneup has a dropper selector tool: https://can.oneupcomponents.com/pages/oneup-dropper-post-selector-v2

The grey options are other manufacturer's posts that will fit your bike's dimensions.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Oh hi mtb thread. I mountain bike a lot but it seems like I don't post in here that much. Bicheal has gotten some recent updates

Today it was new tires. The mezcals are fast, but after a couple months they've gotten a little worn down and our trails are real dry and dusty and loose this time of year. holding the syerra up to a mezcal it's not actually that different

But that little bit more side knob, little more open space, little more volume, and fresh sharp edges was a pretty big difference. Liking them. It's also a little heavier casing so better durability. Handles the loose over hard a lot better. Went through some rocks pretty fast and they were good. Still rolls pretty fast, definitely slower and louder on pavement, but seems pretty fast on dirt. Way more tolerable uphill and across town than the dhf/aggressor combo I had for awhile. A+ tire would buy again. In general all of vittoria's stuff is pretty good.

So anyway i went for a fun bike ride up some mountains and got a good chicken sando and beer after

The other thing I did was re-valve my shock after it blew up awhile back. Digressive Firm valving over Linear. So much more pedaling support. I can almost sprint out of the saddle with it full open, but generally stick to trail on the uphills and it pedals great. My main complaint with this bike has been how sluggish and squishy it feels while pedaling and now it's real good, and pretty light, so I'm kind of questioning my recent new bike order but yeah no not really.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 7, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Trying some stuff to see what kind of quality limits I'd be up against to host small clips on Imgur.

Went to Whistler on the weekend, this wallride is always fun.

https://i.imgur.com/Rge7ZLS.mp4

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Got a Giant Talon 3 27.5, I don't want flat tires ever again. What are my best options?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Are you tubeless? If not, that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If anyone is looking for a full face, I got a TLD stage mips from bike closet for 180 bucks. Best price I found by a mile.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

neato burrito posted:

Got a Giant Talon 3 27.5, I don't want flat tires ever again. What are my best options?

Go tubeless and get lucky. Or never ride a bike again.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

neato burrito posted:

Wire bead 2-ply DH casing tyres and DH tubes. Plus you'll never want to ride it with those on, which helps.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bud Manstrong posted:

Are you tubeless? If not, that.

I got my first snakebite in my tire after going tubeless. I was making plans on how to get back to the trailhead when it stopped spitting air and fluid, and held pressure the entire rest of the ride.

I will never ride with tubes again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can’t get a snakebite puncture on a tubeless setup

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It should be a crime to sell an MTB with tubes in this day and age

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You can’t get a snakebite puncture on a tubeless setup

you can, I have, my friends have. Hit a rock or something hard enough and the rim will still tear two holes in a tire

Steve French fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 12, 2022

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
In thousands of miles of riding tubeless, I’ve only ever gotten one flat from landing the rear perfectly square on a sharp rock from a drop of maybe 2-3 ft at speed just as you describe. Rim busted a huge gash in the tire and was bent to where it would t hold air. I was running way low pressure. Even then, if I had topped the sealant more recently it might’ve held. I put cushcore in the rear after that.

Denver goons might now the exact rock, as it has claimed many wheels. Coming down belcher just below whippletree, after that wall ride right hand turn there’s a pair of funky rocks on the left you can huck off of with a shark fin right in the middle of the landing.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

mashed posted:

I spent Sunday at a TORCA trail day helping get a vandalized trail running again. Someone had chainsawed all the wood features making it unsafe and unrideable. Don't know for sure who did it but all evidence makes it look like it was retaliation for the landowner bulldozing another trail in the area. It was cool to see 50 people turn out and work hard to get it up and running again.

For my part I spent the day making a pile of rocks to reshape a section of the trail and make a roller the a line. The rocks in the background with a board leaning on them are the eventual lip for an optional hip jump but that will be finished another day.

Rocks are heavy and the amount of buckets of gold this took to fill in was pretty crazy. My computer toucher body will be feeling this for a while.

Hey, I was there too. I worked on some lower sections and on the massive gap / roller. I missed the social ride though unfortunately, so I went back to do a couple laps of the trail a week later. Great trail, so much fun. Were you at the Marvin social ride on Eagle a couple days ago?

stratdax fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How is a social ride different from a group ride OOC? People just take it a bit easier?