Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Last unit for my Nighthaunt army. Nine full units painted this round and brings me to 1700 points total. Next round I'd like to paint the new ghost archers and the endless spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

abravemoose posted:

Last unit for my Nighthaunt army. Nine full units painted this round and brings me to 1700 points total. Next round I'd like to paint the new ghost archers and the endless spells.

Nice work! Any chance we can get a big ol' army pic?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am putting together the Lumineth shrine and it is a really nice model, and I am super looking forward to painting it. The only drawback is that the rock portion of the shrine has the largest most noticeable join lines I have ever seen in a warhammer model.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/22/belakors-chosen-heed-the-warcry-and-head-towards-the-gnarlwood

So those Chaos Legionnaires that showed up in the SotD leak turns out to be a Warcry Warband.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Seems like Belakor is building his own army... I wonder what Archaon has to say about that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What I like about them is that they're the first Chaos we've ever seen that wears a uniform. They are orderly in a way Chaos generally isn't, and I hope that as they rework Be'lakor and the Legion, that's the aesthetic they stick with. Be'lakor as generic manipulator? No, bad. Be'lakor as the Greater Daemon who retains human mind and flexibility, who can take the tools of Order and use them for Chaos? Yes, good.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

These dudes are rad, big Swords & Sorcery bad guys vibe.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Feeple posted:

Nice work! Any chance we can get a big ol' army pic?

Not as big as one would imagine for 1700 points.

The green/teal models: center spirit hosts, tomb banshee and cairn wraith were painted pre-pandemic around November 2019. The rest I've completed since mid-May.

I tried to maintain consistency in the color and basing themes.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Centerfold from new Chaos book leaked.

This release will be massive.

Left of Archaon: Some kinda gnarly chaos warrior guys. New chosen?
In front of Archaon: Also gnarly chaos warrior types. Also chosen? Same kit as the ones to his left?
To right and behind of archaon: The new ogroid dudes we've seen
To right of Archaon: The hashut warcry people
Up front to the right: New chaos warriors!
Background, right: New chaos knights!
Up front, far right: New chaos lord on foot probably?
middle right: new demon prince we've seen
Behind demon prince: Some kind of magic dude I don't recognize

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Aren't those Chaos Warriors the ones from the current start collecting box? Same with the knights.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Nope, these are different. They've got musicians and standards, for instance

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Guy in the back right behind the Prince is just a Sorcerer Lord on Manticore, I recognize that pose.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Behind demon prince: Some kind of magic dude I don't recognize

Gaunt Summoner on Disc of Tzeentch in this case.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, derp. I've even painted that model.

Still, this release will be huge. At least 6 new kits - 8 if you count the two Warcry teams.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

Nope, these are different. They've got musicians and standards, for instance

That would be kinda odd considering the SC sculpts are very new, unless they're adding a sprue for an actual box release finally. Could be chosen or something though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

They might be doing a box release because I can see people wanting to have more than 10 chaos warriors, and wanting all of them to match or be from the same release generation. To do that you would need to buy multiple start collecting boxes and since I barely play I don't know how well having 5 more cavalry would go, but I do know that you don't need two sweet lizard riding lords, so I can see a market for the warriors on their own. Especially if they had a box with a command sprue then they might drive even more sales. I might even pick one up so my chaos guys could have something to toot.

Speaking of slaves to darkness, their thing is they are unaligned with any particular chaos god? Like they are deciding which fraternity to rush? I am painting my lizard riding lord to have symbols from all the chaos gods based on that thought process, hope it isn't a bad idea. I did not want to show him off until he was done, but here he is at about 85 or 90% done:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

S.J. posted:

That would be kinda odd considering the SC sculpts are very new, unless they're adding a sprue for an actual box release finally. Could be chosen or something though.

They're definitely new warriors, because that image also contains Chosen.

The SC sculpts are all monopose and don't include musicians and standards, for both knights and warriors, which is why they needed to redo them for a actual unit release.

quote:

Speaking of slaves to darkness, their thing is they are unaligned with any particular chaos god? Like they are deciding which fraternity to rush? I am painting my lizard riding lord to have symbols from all the chaos gods based on that thought process, hope it isn't a bad idea. I did not want to show him off until he was done, but here he is at about 85 or 90% done:

Some of them are dedicated to a single god, some of them worship them all as a pantheon, some of them are shopping around, so your idea is totally in keeping with the lore.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/24/sunday-preview-grab-your-machete-and-cut-your-way-into-the-lush-new-edition-of-warcry

We're getting a slow week as the only pre-orders next week is the new Warcry box, and you get a metallic combat gauge if you pre-order it as well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I kind of want to make a khorne army using slaves to darkness. Is this a good idea or are they just overshadowed by khorne book armies? I just like the idea of big red chaos dudes in armour.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You're limited in how many S2D you can run in Blades of Khorne, but a Khorne-focused S2D army can be fine.

(And of course you can always just paint Chaos Warriors and call them the Khorne thingy, maybe modify them with some bits from Blades models.)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm kind of looking forward to both blades and slaves releases myself. Do we have any actual rumors on what changes might be occurring? I haven't actually played AoS since earlier in 2e

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

more grots

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

JBP posted:

I kind of want to make a khorne army using slaves to darkness. Is this a good idea or are they just overshadowed by khorne book armies? I just like the idea of big red chaos dudes in armour.

There is no real need to limit yourself to one god's mark in STD. Put whatever mark is most suitable to that unit on there. For instance my current list runs Tzeentch marked Warriors alongside Khorne marked Varanguard.

With the removal of battletome batallions from matched play there is no reason to limit yourself. You used to want to take god-specific batallions that required all your units to have that mark.

But if you want to do it for thematic reasons, go for it. Blades has plenty of good heroes to ally in to buff your dudes. I frequently run Bloodsecrators, Aspiring Deathbringers, and Bloodstokers in my STD lists.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Bloodsecrators

I have acquired quite a tolerance to GW's dumb names but this one gets me every time

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They're obviously big Debauchery fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESvIgMjbM_8

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Winklebottom posted:

I have acquired quite a tolerance to GW's dumb names but this one gets me every time

I unironically love the Bloodsecrator and his spine ponytail

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

I unironically love the Bloodsecrator and his spine ponytail

I read that originally as side ponytail and was momentarily picturing Bloodsecrator hanging out at the mall with an 80s side ponytail.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Gorethirst Bloodrage the Morbidificator, Lord of the Flensed and Pulverizer of Bones (Your Bones) on line one for you sir.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished the last details on one of the Realmscape objectives I managed to get my hands on end of last year today. I really needed a break from just painting infantry models and this was the best I had.
Sadly didn't have a oval base on hand for it though.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Good stuff, those objectives look better without bases anyway.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I commented before on getting the free monthly minis from in-store, and went to my "local" store for the first time, and they actually had boxes and boxes of the sets from the last few months just open with people allowed to just clip themselves whatever they want. I just took the bits to make one of the new-style High Elves but I think they'd have been happy for me to work my way through all the kits and take as many as I want (within reason)! I also got the special store anniversary Kruleboy, nice model though I hadn't realised how expensive it was going to be...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Funny enough I did the same a while back at my local store, I was looking for a sigmar hammer head and remembered the Liberator was a give away model.
I came home with one sprue of that and also several of the rare domed Dark Eldar helmets and a couple of other bits.

Not sure if I should've been greedier as there was a whole bunch of treasure chest objectives and some other stuff I could've taken.
Also a whole bag of 32mm bases in one of the boxes that was put out for me. :v:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I tried my local store and didn't get any takers so I'm gonna ask here. I am interested in picking up the Tzeentch from the upcoming Arcane Cataclysm box but have zero interest in the Lumineth. I was looking for someone to split the box with. If you're interested feel free to DM me and we can hash out the details. If it makes a difference I am in the US.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a release date for that box?

I was watching this YouTube channel called "Warhammer Man", and he seemed extremely certain that this box was not going to sell well and it was going to be very easy to pick it up after release for less than MSRP. In the video he also said that a lot of that Tzeench stuff was already easy to get, particularly the Tzangors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfhTqWf2nZE

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is there a release date for that box?

I was watching this YouTube channel called "Warhammer Man", and he seemed extremely certain that this box was not going to sell well and it was going to be very easy to pick it up after release for less than MSRP. In the video he also said that a lot of that Tzeench stuff was already easy to get, particularly the Tzangors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfhTqWf2nZE

We don't have a release date just yet but its likely close.

I appreciate the advice but I'm gonna be honest. I'm not listening to any warhammer youtube channel where half their videos are some variant of "GW IS DYING" or "GW is loving you in the rear end (on these prices)", they're always low effort outrage farmers who are following in the insanely lovely tradition of guys like Arch.

Not only that but the claim that its gonna be easy to pick up after a few month for less than MSRP is a little suspect since that hasn't happened for Echoes of Doom, Arena of Shades or Fury of the Deep. The only box that actually happened to was Dominion and that has a lot more to do with GW's overproduction of that specific box.

I do agree that its easy to get a lot of the Tzeentch stuff but if I split this box with someone I can get the new Curseling, Tzaangors, Tzaangor Enlightened and Kairic Acolytes as well as their new rules cards for around $80-$90 which is a pretty good deal especially considering that the new Curseling will take a few months to be a solo release.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AnEdgelord posted:

I tried my local store and didn't get any takers so I'm gonna ask here. I am interested in picking up the Tzeentch from the upcoming Arcane Cataclysm box but have zero interest in the Lumineth. I was looking for someone to split the box with. If you're interested feel free to DM me and we can hash out the details. If it makes a difference I am in the US.

I'm interested! DM sent.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

We don't have a release date just yet but its likely close.

I appreciate the advice but I'm gonna be honest. I'm not listening to any warhammer youtube channel where half their videos are some variant of "GW IS DYING" or "GW is loving you in the rear end (on these prices)", they're always low effort outrage farmers who are following in the insanely lovely tradition of guys like Arch.

Not only that but the claim that its gonna be easy to pick up after a few month for less than MSRP is a little suspect since that hasn't happened for Echoes of Doom, Arena of Shades or Fury of the Deep. The only box that actually happened to was Dominion and that has a lot more to do with GW's overproduction of that specific box.

I do agree that its easy to get a lot of the Tzeentch stuff but if I split this box with someone I can get the new Curseling, Tzaangors, Tzaangor Enlightened and Kairic Acolytes as well as their new rules cards for around $80-$90 which is a pretty good deal especially considering that the new Curseling will take a few months to be a solo release.

Yeah, the guys videos are certainly way over the top in clickbait titles, but I seem to be seeing that almost universally over YouTube so I wonder if they have tweaked their algorithms to show more of that stuff. I also was unable to reliably find any boxes, other than dominion, for significantly less than the 15 or 20% some games stores can get.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Also, so what happened to Dominion? It was billed as the Indomitus version of AoS, but it flopped? I was looking at it, there is a copy on Amazon for 115, and it seems like an amazingly good deal. The only issue is that I don't really care for either army in the box. Stormcast Eternals seem like a huge investment into creating a new army and it is bizarre because they could have just revamped any of the squatted armies or done an army that has had limited models in the past like Cathay. They seem like wanna-be space marines or custodes, but custodes are also my least favorite 40k army. So maybe I just really dislike that particular style. Have stormcast become really common in the AoS scene? I imagine they would have because, like space marines, they come in nearly every drat box.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They made a ton of Dominion because of problems with past boxes selling out entirely too soon, I think, and overshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Yeah, Stormcasts are popular, but they are not Space Marines... thankfully.