Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I had actually just put the order in for the same ones on Canadian amazon! Good to know they'll be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

parthenocarpy posted:

teaspoons, tablespoons, whatever. Same thing.

teablespoons

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Remember it's tsp for tablespoon and Tbsp for tea-boobies-spoon (named by Willy McGee, aged 7)

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I once gave masaokis a recipe for salad dressing (sent the whole salad recipe, which had a 0% chance of happening, so he just made the dressing and it took him almost a half hour)

This is how he measured a cup of canola oil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arxz1hLtxt8&t=194s

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh my god

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My dishwasher broke and my friend gave me hers because she’d rather have more storage space (Asians! Ha!)

WTF is this

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Upper deck if you have short glasses underneath.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Steve Yun posted:

My dishwasher broke and my friend gave me hers because she’d rather have more storage space (Asians! Ha!)

WTF is this

As mentioned, another shelf. Also can be used to lean taller stemware up against in order to get the opening facing the water stream while still fitting.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
How do you clean a French press without getting tons of coffee grounds down the drain or pouring a bunch of liquid into your trash? Scrape it out into the trash and wipe it out with paper towels?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mine is glass and stainless so it gets disassembled and put in the dishwasher. One dump into compost bin beforehand.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just drain it into the sink and push down the plunger a few times , then the mostly dried grounds get dumped into our rose bush or some other plant.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Paul MaudDib posted:

How do you clean a French press without getting tons of coffee grounds down the drain or pouring a bunch of liquid into your trash? Scrape it out into the trash and wipe it out with paper towels?

I catch the grounds with a strainer, then wash the press. You can do whatever makes sense to you with the grounds afterwards—compost, garbage, plants, whatever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm looking to get a slow cooker (not necessarily a pressure cooker- I see the OP material about the cleaning and pressure issues-though if the situation's changed since the OP was updated in 2021 and, e.g., instant pot is now excellent, I'm definitely game). I've got close to a micro-kitchen with limited counter or storage space. This is mostly for things I can make and store in the fridge for consumption over time, so a removable vessel would greatly improve practicality. Any recommendations?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Instant pot also functions as an excellent slow cooker and rice cooker

Any cheap as poo poo basic $30 slow cooker does fine, they all basically work

But if you wanna go minimalist a $17 rice cooker can also work as a general purpose cooker

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7122630853917707563

Movie critic Roger Ebert actually wrote a cookbook for rice cookers and it’s actually pretty good

https://www.amazon.com/Pot-How-Use-...ps%2C136&sr=8-1

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 24, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I like the idea of also being able to pressure cook, so I'll try to decide on one of the instant pot models- and I'll also snag the ebert cookbook, thank you!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm looking to get a slow cooker (not necessarily a pressure cooker- I see the OP material about the cleaning and pressure issues-though if the situation's changed since the OP was updated in 2021 and, e.g., instant pot is now excellent, I'm definitely game). I've got close to a micro-kitchen with limited counter or storage space. This is mostly for things I can make and store in the fridge for consumption over time, so a removable vessel would greatly improve practicality. Any recommendations?

Instant pot is indeed now excellent don't gently caress up and get anything else like a slow cooker.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Phil Moscowitz posted:

As mentioned, another shelf. Also can be used to lean taller stemware up against in order to get the opening facing the water stream while still fitting.

Spoiled kids these days. When I wanted a third rack, I’d just put a cooling rack on top of everything in the upper rack

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Any recommendations on a stainless steel mixing bowl set? I haven't seen anything decent in a retail store nearby me. My old roommate had a dope 6-piece stacking set that he supposedly found at Ross but they didn't have those when I went there.

I would go with the OXO 3-piece, but theirs has plastic on the outer wall which means I can't use the small bowl in a double boiler.

Back Alley Borks fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 24, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Back Alley Borks posted:

Any recommendations on a stainless steel mixing bowl set? I haven't seen anything decent in a retail store nearby me. My old roommate had a dope 6-piece stacking set that he supposedly found at Ross but they didn't have those when I went there.

I would go with the OXO 3-piece, but theirs has plastic on the outer wall which means I can't use the small bowl in a double boiler.

Mixing bowls are something I just played mix and match with, personally. The silicone base is nice to have, and you can always buy an individual all-stainless bowl for double boiler usage if necessary - right now mine are stainless but if I were to replace them, that's probably what I'd do.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Have you tried a restaurant supply store? Hard to tell from your phrasing.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I buy the old revere ware ones when I see them at thrift stores. They have rings on them so they can hang up.
Sometimes they have lids but the lids are trash and stop fitting properly after a while.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m too lazy to go out looking for them but some day I’m gonna get steel bowls that have measurement markings embossed on the inside

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm so sick of trying to remember which pots and bowls make good double boiler combinations that I'm considering buying a double boiler. In unrelated news, since my kid has grown up and moved out, I'm thinking of turning their bedroom into unitasker storage.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I know you can get plain ones for cheap at a restaurant supply store, but the bougie ones are still pretty cheap and it's great to have silicone bottoms, internal measurements, and lids.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

I buy the old revere ware ones when I see them at thrift stores. They have rings on them so they can hang up.
Sometimes they have lids but the lids are trash and stop fitting properly after a while.

I can't stand the constant clanking these make. My SO's parents handed one down to us and I took pliers to the drat thing. Been meaning to get to a restaurant supply place to get some gigantic plain stainless ones. You can just put a damp towel under them to keep them from moving around too much.

Not a Children posted:

I'm sick of scraping rice out of my instant pot. I think I'm ready to make the jump to a zojirushi

What's the cheapest way to get my hands on one that isn't just getting lucky at a goodwill?

Also, extremely late to this discussion, but how do you cook your rice?

I do equal parts by volume of rice to water and just do a manual pressure cook for 3 minutes with a natural pressure release for 10 minutes. I make sure to turn off the keep warm setting and put the lid on during dinner. This is what it looks like after scooping out any leftovers probably like an hour later:

I soak it in soapy water for a while because I'm lazy and then it's easy sponge washable.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

PolishPandaBear posted:

A family member got me this and I actually really like it. Flips open easily and then can be closed without much thought because of the magnet. Not sure if this is the exact one: https://www.amazon.com/Totally-Bamb...ps%2C135&sr=8-5 .

This is exactly what I use.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Not a Children posted:

I'm sick of scraping rice out of my instant pot.

What the gently caress

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Not a Children posted:

I'm sick of scraping rice out of my instant pot.

:same:

That's why I've taken to streaming my rice in individual bowls instead of cooking a whole batch with a rice cooker or any other gadget. (Besides an induction hot plate and compatible streamer pot because the built-in timer and efficient heating have been a God-send) Especially because I basically only cook for myself and it's a good way of metering out my portions by only cooking a specific amount; no way to cheat in seconds when the whole process including soaking the rice takes 35 minutes at a minimum. And since I'm cooking the rice in the bowls I'm going to be eating out of, I don't have extra dishes to clean or deal with dishes with unique cleaning requirements.

I'm using the following instructions but personally use 60 grams of rice with 66 grams of water (after fully draining the soaking water) to best suit the bowls I have.
https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-steam-rice/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rewind to wiggle wire vs plate with holes potato masher chat.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress that. Ricer all the way. Used to do 22qts a day in a Scandinavian restaurant with a 110 yr old champ like this

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah if you can justify the space to store it for the 350 days you aren't making mashed potatoes (or gnocchi) you can't beat the ricer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ricer is just one of those things that doesn’t store anywhere neatly. It’s too big for a drawer but feels like a waste of space when on a cabinet shelf.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Just have a box to throw poo poo into

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh I do and I manage to get a small cut every time I look for something. Turns out, a lot of kitchen utensils have sharp bits.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Good lord my boxes look like poo poo now that I’m looking at them in a photo. I guess clear masking tape does that after 10 years. Might be time to get new boxes

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Good lord my boxes look like poo poo now that I’m looking at them in a photo. I guess clear masking tape does that after 10 years. Might be time to get new boxes

Can you show us the end of the tape so we can see if it's cut straight or torn though?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Until looking closer I thought they were two tone fabric boxes rather than discolored cardboard boxes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s from a tape gun so it’s gonna be jagged

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
What's better for a home cook making mashed potatoes - a ricer or a food mill?

Are either of them more versatile for other things? I can't imagine what I'd use a ricer for besides making mashed potatoes and gnocchi, but a food mill seems like it could be useful for turning anything into paste. Like a really slow hand blender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

slartibartfast posted:

What's better for a home cook making mashed potatoes - a ricer or a food mill?

Are either of them more versatile for other things? I can't imagine what I'd use a ricer for besides making mashed potatoes and gnocchi, but a food mill seems like it could be useful for turning anything into paste. Like a really slow hand blender.

I primarily use my food mill for running crushed tomatoes through it to make pizza sauce.

I have a small food ricer I bought for mashed potatoes, but the capacity is maybe like…1 cup if I’m being generous so I takes for-loving-ever to do mashed potatoes through it and it’s very awkward to use-best mashed potatoes ever through it though.

I’ve tried the food mill a few times for mashed potatoes and it’s got a bigger capacity, but the consistency is better using the ricer. Much fluffier it seems?