Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the open world version loot should all be tradeable and usable at level 1 where the instanced version has a level requirement and maybe character bound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They should just get rid of raiding

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

Good god yes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

retpocileh posted:

Hmm, so what happens at the zoneline, do all the mobs just disappear from your screen? Can you still hit them from across the zone line? Can you like just run back and forth over it causing them to yo-yo?

When you drag a mob and get to a maximum distance from its spawn location or to a zone line, the mob goes invulnerable and walks back to its spawn before resetting. I don’t think it’s hard, and you could have diagetic zone markers like cave exits or bridges or cliffs or whatever.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

When you drag a mob and get to a maximum distance from its spawn location or to a zone line, the mob goes invulnerable and walks back to its spawn before resetting. I don’t think it’s hard, and you could have diagetic zone markers like cave exits or bridges or cliffs or whatever.

That's very different from how EQ ZLs work. This would basically mean no trains.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

retpocileh posted:

The open world version is harder, drops better versions of loot (Legendary Helmet of Bullshit instead of Helmet of Bullshit), doesn't have those easy mechanics, and is subject to all the competitive poopsocking and nerdrage that P99 raiding consists of for those who want it.

The instances are there for those who want to avoid it, and still want to play end game, but they don't get quite the level of uber gear and glory that the open world raiders achieve.

Seems like a terrible idea. If the hard stuff is open world only, access to it will be controlled by the most toxic part of the playerbase. That turns off the majority of players capable of doing the hard stuff, because it turns out most people enjoy hard content more than they enjoy poopsocking or being total assholes.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

retpocileh posted:

Hmm, so what happens at the zoneline, do all the mobs just disappear from your screen? Can you still hit them from across the zone line? Can you like just run back and forth over it causing them to yo-yo?

I'm not sure how you make it work smoothly.

I don't know the specifics, but what I do know is that their intention is to make it so that it has as much depth as the EQ training mechanic had. I assume they break leash and run back to where they spawned.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They could just drop the player who crossed the line from their aggro list & the player can't deal damage to aggro them again for 5-10s. That's basically what happens already. TBH if the EQ client was more intelligent in how it loaded maps you'd already have a problem with people treating the zone line like a free FD

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

cmdrk posted:

Or, the open world version drops the "True" version of the loot, with no functional stat changes but Everyone Knows It's Better. That'll be enough.

Yes, give the items a different color shade (ie green colored robe is blue for the open world one or whatever) and people will want to do both.
Maybe add a very small chance for a pet or toy or whatever to the final boss in the open world version if you really want to add something special.

Even if you don't and they are completely identical, if the loot / lock out timer is different between instanced and open world the hardcore raiders would do both anyway.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

DaitoX posted:

Yes, give the items a different color shade (ie green colored robe is blue for the open world one or whatever) and people will want to do both.
Maybe add a very small chance for a pet or toy or whatever to the final boss in the open world version if you really want to add something special.

Even if you don't and they are completely identical, if the loot / lock out timer is different between instanced and open world the hardcore raiders would do both anyway.

We could just automate this and call it "Find Raiders" button or some poo poo

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

And do what instead? Genuinely curious.

I like raids personally but I’ve only ever done them when there’s a gentleman’s agreement on raid rotations between guilds. Getting a bunch of people organized and doing some big bads is fun. I’d nope out pretty quick if it was batphone first to engage bullshit tho

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

cmdrk posted:

And do what instead? Genuinely curious.

I like raids personally but I’ve only ever done them when there’s a gentleman’s agreement on raid rotations between guilds. Getting a bunch of people organized and doing some big bads is fun. I’d nope out pretty quick if it was batphone first to engage bullshit tho

Just leveling. DDO has some endgame activities, but it mainly runs off remorting like old MUDs. It's not the most popular MMO in the world but it pays its bills & if you're going for retro MMOs it's probably a reasonable point of comparison.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

DaitoX posted:

Just have it be open world until a group clears it and then it's not there anymore but now there's an instance to redo it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/_2022/july/

quote:

Today, it is our pleasure to announce that we have secured another $2.4 million USD from private investments to help us continue this incredible, community-building project. Added to the funds raised in earlier stages of Series A funding, our total investment capital raised to date, is now $5.34 million.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is not enough money to ever finish this game. It's dead.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Maybe Curt Schilling can save it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So they've now raised more than the original EQ cost to develop in today's dollars lol

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Groovelord Neato posted:

So they've now raised more than the original EQ cost to develop in today's dollars lol

i mean mmos are wildly more expensive to make than they were in the 90s

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Especially WoW-chasing tab target MMOs

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

That is not enough money to ever finish this game. It's dead.

yeah it’s just funny to me that somebody just wasted a couple million dollars for the team to screw around for another couple of years

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This game is going to get released and it's going to own. I've never been wrong about this kind of thing before.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Node posted:

This game is going to get released and it's going to own. I've never been wrong about this kind of thing before.

I've preordered New World AND Tabula Rasa!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I miss the wildstar thread, those were some good dumpster fire MMO threads. The era of vapor ware MMO kickstarters is much less exciting than laughing at horrible releases.

All that said, lmao more funding to make this unity engine ESO wannabe limp on for another year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I miss Wildstar, that game was nuts. Leveling up characters was fun, but the end game was really bad, and by the time the devs fixed it and made raiding accessible, it was too late, everyone quit.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I loved Wildstar's combat but found the questing to be dull as dirt so I think I got to level 30 in the Beta and lost interest because I knew the endgame was going to be even less fun thanks to that batshit loving insane attunement

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

FrostyPox posted:

I loved Wildstar's combat

All the skill shots in addition with the requirement to connect to US/EU made it playing outside those countries pretty much unplayable. I'll never understand the choice to have ping reliant combat and then not give players a way to get a reasonable ping.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wish we could see how far they got with EQNext.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LuckyCat posted:

I have always been curious about that too before it got canceled. I kinda feel like the next obvious stage to take EverQuest would be a mobile MMORPG, but at this point I think that will never happen. EverQuest 1 & 2 are ran by a pretty small team now that seem to just want to focus on cranking out content for that for the few whales and players left playing it.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

LuckyCat posted:

my heart hopes that someone will leak a half-finished build but my pessimism expects they didn't make anything that we didn't see in the carefully designed teasers

I said come in! posted:

I have always been curious about that too before it got canceled. I kinda feel like the next obvious stage to take EverQuest would be a mobile MMORPG, but at this point I think that will never happen. EverQuest 1 & 2 are ran by a pretty small team now that seem to just want to focus on cranking out content for that for the few whales and players left playing it.

i'm pretty sure the eq1 devs are trying to find the sweet-spot for tuning where content is doable by multiboxers but still too hard for the average players so they can gently persuade people to buy kronos (tradeable subscription time, can be transferred across servers) to pay for carries through content, at least on live servers. i don't know what the monetization scheme is for progression servers but i assume much of the cashflow from those comes from xp potions

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
As someone playing on the latest TLP I’ve been spending all of my subscription-granted DB currency for mana potions and our static leveling group uses XP potions for catching people up who missed sessions etc.

For me since I play casually, the stuff I get from a sub is enough. If I were pumping quarters into the game I’d probably just box instead.

But yeah, I dunno. I’m cool with most of the monetization in EQ. The stat potions seem less effective than just having a class around who can give you the equivalent bit more powerful buff. And I like pet illusions :colbert:

As far as EQNext goes, I’ve read stuff from developers saying they couldn’t make pathing work with the voxel engine which was a huge problem and was a big factor in killing the game. Meanwhile Dave Georgeson claims they could’ve shipped it absolutely no question.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
Eqnext was strange landmark was kinda interesting also

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

on live servers it seems that the most common use of xp potions is to burn like an 8 hour group xp potion to try to guilt me into tanking some dogshit camp in the middle of bullshit nowhere that i only signed up for because i was bored

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

LuckyCat posted:

Same, I was pretty pumped for it. I doubt there’s much to see though :(

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we’ll see an EQ3 some day. Darkpaw Games seems pretty active with EQ1 (idk about EQ2). Also, they should revive a vanguard server.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LuckyCat posted:

Maybe we’ll see an EQ3 some day. Darkpaw Games seems pretty active with EQ1 (idk about EQ2). Also, they should revive a vanguard server.

gently caress EQ3, they should just bring back Vanguard. The game just needs more quests, and faster leveling. There are dungeons that are empty and need to be filled out with quests and enemies. Players discovered there is at least one dungeon, that is absolutely massive, but it's completely empty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is also https://vgoemulator.net/index.php but I don't know what the status is and how far along in development it is. Its been worked on since 2014, but to my knowledge its not very active. Hoping someone can fill me in who has been able to keep up to date.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

gently caress EQ3, they should just bring back Vanguard. The game just needs more quests, and faster leveling. There are dungeons that are empty and need to be filled out with quests and enemies. Players discovered there is at least one dungeon, that is absolutely massive, but it's completely empty.

That's completely bizarre. Imagine how much longer it takes to do design, art, and construction for an entire level than to fill it with enemies, and imagine how mismanaged a project would have to be for one thing but not the other to happen.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

There is also https://vgoemulator.net/index.php but I don't know what the status is and how far along in development it is. Its been worked on since 2014, but to my knowledge its not very active. Hoping someone can fill me in who has been able to keep up to date.

A buddy logged in a couple of months ago and there were 4 people playing.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

LuckyCat posted:

Awesome! They’re back to pre-shutdown pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

LuckyCat posted:

They're like, 5% of the way done. It'll be a long time before we see real numbers, assuming the project even completes. Which would make me happy, I just don't see it happening. Vanguard was great. It had terrible technological and management problems, but it was still a great game.

Visionary Realms should just scrap Pantheon and buy the Vanguard IP from Daybreak. They already have a basic game ready, it just needs polishing on the content and performance side.