Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dareon posted:

I bought the Gambler's Trenchcoat early, and it's putting in some work.

It's a good trenchcoat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

this is incredible, i love poo poo like this

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I took some of my own!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just remembered I glammed BLU.

It's just True Blue and Strife gear e: and Anemos Expeditionary Boots, but it is glammed over actual mage gear. Also, I just learned to use gpose.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A fish about to get got.

The Smirk™

When mom just volun-told you to work with Rowena

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I keep telling myself to start going through gshade to start learning what presets I like and work well with what I want to do but that's basically like saying "go check every book in the library to see if it's something you want to read"

I want to get into fashion photography, the true endgame, but it's intimidatingly large as a topic

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gshade is worth downloading if only to up the saturation in this game a little bit. Everything is so washed out by default. You don't need to go overboard into cartoon land but even the slightest semblance of color improves FFXIV a lot, and certainly not just for taking screenshots.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Everyone should make sure they check their gamma and crank it to 0. It starts a baffling 50.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

Everyone should make sure they check their gamma and crank it to 0. It starts a baffling 50.

Yeah, sorry, no, I like being able to see things.

I tried it. My character became an undifferentiated blob of black. I put it back to 60, where I had it before.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dareon posted:

I tried it. My character became an undifferentiated blob of black. I put it back to 60, where I had it before.

Fix your monitor then. If cranking that to 0 makes your character look like a "blob of black" then that's a you problem. Might as well just bleach your screen running it at 60.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

Fix your monitor then. If cranking that to 0 makes your character look like a "blob of black" then that's a you problem. Might as well just bleach your screen running it at 60.

It's definitely a me problem, because I don't have the budget to run a monitor that can crank out 1000 lumens like yours apparently can to make out useful detail at 0 gamma.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly that sounds like you have to change the configs on something else or you have a bigger problem, I used to use a loving old TV as my monitor and I could disable gamma correction without turning my character vantablack. Maybe increasing character lightning?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gamma shaming seems like a weird thing to go for but okay i guess after years of being on the internet you gotta keep finding new things to have a superiority complex about

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Half the options in any given config menu are obviously traps where the developers added them solely so they could be set wrong as a default, and only True Gamers are provided access to the proper experience.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the reminder about GARO and PSO2 Odin, and the new info on Chocobo Mystery Dungeon; of those three, GARO I probably would've realized I was missing pretty quick, but I wouldn't have realized the others until it was way too late.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 24, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i mean they set the obviously wrong and inferior control scheme as the default :devil:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
How to use gshade, by A Lazy Idiot:

Activate any number of Adaptive Sharpening, Clarity 1, Clarity 2, Curves, Extended Levels, DepthHaze, FastSharpening.

Curves and Extended Levels do a lot of work for lighting effects and EL can often be a bit much and make things look too dark but you get the idea using at least 1 lets you start playing with cool shadows/lighting, DepthHaze blurs distant background FoV, the rest are just buttons I click by default to make textures look nicer. Obviously there is more to this you can experiment with but I assume most people trying gshade just want to press button, get better character model clarity! You can use as many or as few things with Sharpening in the name as you want.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The dangers of gshading

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I can't miss out on glam posting.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Did someone say moggle mog glams?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

This is the single stupidest thing to try and be the big superior nerd about. "Oh well on my brand of monitor with my settings it should be set to 0 as GOD INTENDED!" shut the gently caress up no one loving cares find literally anything else to care about. Read a book, go outside and eat grass, literally anything else.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Mordiceius posted:

Why do you think the setting exists in the first place? :psyduck:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

This is one of the dumbest things you’ve said. A staggering accomplishment.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

It's a perfectly good thing to mention as a setting many might not know about, but lol why'd ya have to make it weird

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mordiceius posted:

thanks for mentioning this as the game looks a lot better now going from 50 to 0 on my end

but also

Mordiceius posted:

lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

someone please help me layout my MNK cross-hotbar in a way that doesn't confuse my fingers & thumbs so goddamn bad when switching between the two combos except for loving Demolish and Snap

maybe this is finally a call for me to use a certain illegal third party tool i have now learned to my mild dismay that said tool doesn't support mnk. which i guess makes sense

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 24, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Monk is like the one job XIVCombo doesn't help with since the combo system for them actually requires decision making rather than it being a static chain.

EDIT: Gamer Chair Edition seems to have some stuff for MNK but as i don't play that job i don't know how much it would help https://github.com/lushc/XIVComboPluginProEsportsGamerChairEdition

CJ fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 24, 2022

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
that kinda poo poo is why i hate melee dps. I gotta figure out which of the three branches of the monk combo to do while also avoiding more mechanics than i do on bard. props to the people who can pull that stuff off but sheesh. it's nice that you've got a choice in how hardcore you want to be

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

someone please help me layout my MNK cross-hotbar in a way that doesn't confuse my fingers & thumbs so goddamn bad when switching between the two combos except for loving Demolish and Snap

maybe this is finally a call for me to use a certain illegal third party tool i have now learned to my mild dismay that said tool doesn't support mnk. which i guess makes sense

Away from my PS atm, but dragon kick on R2 square, twin snakes on R2 triangle, snap on R2+L2 square. Bootshine on R2 x, true strike on R2 circle, demolish on R2+L2 X. Chakra button on R2+L2 Triangle. AoE on double tap R2.

derra fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 24, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

derra posted:

Away from my PS atm, but dragon kick on R2 square, twin snakes on R2 triangle, snap on R2+L2 square. Bootshine on R2 x, true strike on R2 circle, demolish on R2+L2 X. Chakra button on R2+L2 Triangle. AoE on double tap R2.

i like the idea of using R2L2 and L2R2, but those've been shared actions (sprint, lb, mount, what have you) for multiple expansions now

that said maybe i can pare that down to L2R2 and use the other one for classes...
nope, both are on one hotbar, i forgot. i wonder if those can go somewhere else
wait they CAN be split! goddamn labyrinthine config screens

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 24, 2022

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

speaking of melee dps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQzgMvwbT4

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is the single stupidest thing to try and be the big superior nerd about. "Oh well on my brand of monitor with my settings it should be set to 0 as GOD INTENDED!" shut the gently caress up no one loving cares find literally anything else to care about. Read a book, go outside and eat grass, literally anything else.

the only thing more goony then getting weird about gamma settings is this overreaction to a mildly bad post

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

that was a powerful alliteration at the start there

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

i wish to destroy lancetfish from the bottom of my heart please i didnt manage to catch any mora in the last 3 windows let me out of lancetjail

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This is one of the dumbest things you’ve said. A staggering accomplishment.

Ciaphas posted:

but also

lol

Not sure why y’all are getting mad at me. I offered some helpful advice for something I think makes the game look better and was met with this response:

Dareon posted:

But I guess I’m the villain here?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
loving nerds

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

"play with this setting and see if you like the results" is good advice

"turn this setting all the way from 50 to 0 or you suck and your monitor sucks" is not useful advice

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Huh, emergency maintenance tonight for NA folks. Wonder if that's related to the significant issues I've had with lagging and disconnecting.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/3c8dcc80d3b5d5e36930429e189d0d4ef5586736

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Ibblebibble posted:

i wish to destroy lancetfish from the bottom of my heart please i didnt manage to catch any mora in the last 3 windows let me out of lancetjail

Watching you nail all them leggofish so fast and easy was making me wanna do hella fishing, but your lancetfish saga has cured me of that impulse, so thanks for that.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

i like the idea of using R2L2 and L2R2, but those've been shared actions (sprint, lb, mount, what have you) for multiple expansions now

that said maybe i can pare that down to L2R2 and use the other one for classes...
nope, both are on one hotbar, i forgot. i wonder if those can go somewhere else
wait they CAN be split! goddamn labyrinthine config screens

Sprint is macro 98 and bound to L3. Mount Roulette is macro 99, R3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

derra posted:

Sprint is macro 98 and bound to L3. Mount Roulette is macro 99, R3.

Yup, that's what I do when I'm playing on controller.