Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
I have zero qualms about trying to shoot anything that moves in a game. Opening scene where an npc is talking- blam! Chickens- bablow! Dinosaurs- kaboom! I mean, it's a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

jokes posted:

Have you played final fantasy 14? It is sometimes well regarded, you know

I stopped playing Final Fantasy years ago and don't even look at them. The only one I kinda like is FF2 on NES and even then I only cut it some slack because it made a lot of improvements over the first one for a NES game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Did something happen with revengeance recently? It's been cropping up everywhere again recently.

Real life has caught up to it.

The main villain says what every Republican politician believes but out loud, not coated in euphemism. He says everyone should have the power to fight for what they want, which Republicans did by arming themselves and trying and overthrow the election.

He uses the fact that Raiden has acted outside the law to do what he thinks is right. However Raiden saved a bunch of children from becoming child soldiers like he was, while Armstrong just wants a world where people with power can oppress everyone else.

He also used MAGA in his speech. Revengeance came out in early 2013.

It has nothing to do with that tweet about Kojima. Revengeance became popular again over a year before that tweet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

neato burrito posted:

Planescape Torment is a story heavy game that is also actually very bad.

It's strange too since I love Fallout New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, and KOTOR II. To hear people tell it, Planescape was the best of all of them but I was bored and just quit after a while. At no point did any of its writing wow me in any way.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I like Planescape. I like the setting, the story, the characters... too bad about the lackluster combat and trash mobs.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i like The Dig

Yeah, it's pretty good. Definitely stands out as the scariest LucasArts p&c game.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's pointless to get into semantics. Let's get into semiotics, I saw twelve birds when I was outside today and two dogs. If we take this as reliable we should assume two games have good plots"Leashed" to their unwillingness to let the player take control. The birds however are games with stories that soar, but are more slight and harder to access, a near ephemeral nature abounds in them.

:popeye:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

It's strange too since I love Fallout New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, and KOTOR II. To hear people tell it, Planescape was the best of all of them but I was bored and just quit after a while. At no point did any of its writing wow me in any way.
:rolleyes:
just another clueless berk who couldn't hack in in the cage

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I love playing video games with my video game playing friends

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
FF14 is only an mmo if you want it to be

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

:hmmyes:
it's true it's not an mmo if no one plays it. that's deep

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If an MMO falls in a forest...

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

itry posted:

I like Planescape. I like the setting, the story, the characters... too bad about the lackluster combat and trash mobs.

it says a lot about Torment's strengths and weaknesses that the best way to play it in the modern era is with a mod to turn off combat lol

itry
Aug 23, 2019

MrQwerty posted:

it says a lot about Torment's strengths and weaknesses that the best way to play it in the modern era is with a mod to turn off combat lol

I think the boss fights should still be in there, but all the trash muggers or w/e? Yeah you can turn those off.

I mean... you should get your MC killed at least once. It's part of the setting.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best way to play Planescape is to join my d&d game Wednesday night's

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rutibex posted:

the best way to play Planescape is to join my d&d game Wednesday night's

:frogon:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

itry posted:

I think the boss fights should still be in there, but all the trash muggers or w/e? Yeah you can turn those off.

I mean... you should get your MC killed at least once. It's part of the setting.

well yeah, dying and changing classes are part of the story and if you don't do that nothing that happens makes sense.

Planescape: Torment also requires a good deal of imagination, which is part of why it has aged the way it has.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i read choose your own adventure books all the time in middle school

Im the sociopath in the corner reading it like a normal book.

No Straight Roads is pretty fun so far, its a little like Furi, but more spacious and a lot less strict with more little areas between the bosses

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 24, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Torment builds too. The writing itself isn't amazing, where you're like entranced by the prose or whatever by the time you get out of the morgue. But it all eventually starts to come together to build a picture of the protagonist, their companions, the setting, and various other characters that is really great. It's kinda that bullshit "the game gets good X hours in" thing people say about a lot of games, but not because it gets good later, so much as it takes a while to accumulate the good poo poo into a critical mass. The morgue and the events in it I found pretty boring going through it but once you get further into the game and you understand more about the setting and characters it becomes a lot more interesting in hindsight.

I don't even know when I first knew I liked Torment but it took me 2 tries to get much further than the morgue.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I normally wouldn't post a youtube about a game instead of my own opinion, but this one's very short so it gets a pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJSHL7E4sc

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vic posted:

I normally wouldn't post a youtube about a game instead of my own opinion, but this one's very short so it gets a pass.

:yikes:

Edit: here... a better, actually short(er) video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwdIdVHelg

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I'm not watching a 2 hour video about a game I've played multiple times in the past 20 years sorry

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

I'm not watching a 2 hour video about a game I've played multiple times in the past 20 years sorry

It's ok.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vic posted:

the intro is funny but man 2 hours

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Vic posted:

ArfJason posted:

interesting. will not watch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Planescape torment wouldve been better as a visual novel.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vic posted:

It's ok.

Is it though? Who are we mere mortals chained as we are to our current moment in time to say if they watching that random youtube clip would see there life to a path of joy and happiness or down a path of sadness and despair.

Alas tis just impossible for us to know. :(

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Redezga posted:

I finished Day of the Tentacle today and while I enjoyed it from a nostalgia perspective and it has some great style, it's probably one of the weakest video game stories of all time.

:wrong:

It's perfect in every way.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I'm nearing 100 runs in Hades and I love it.

Great voice acting
Good combat
Reasonable storyline for a game you essentially replay over and over

I was never one for roguelikes but Hades got so much hooting and hollering about it last year that I finally decided to take a shot since it was on gamepass. It's just really fun. The different weapons really do force you to play a different way with each of them and it's fun to explore the boon combinations. I wanna know what some of the best weapon boon and hammer combinations people have

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The first Sly Cooper game was p good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Redezga posted:

I finished Day of the Tentacle today and while I enjoyed it from a nostalgia perspective and it has some great style, it's probably one of the weakest video game stories of all time.

batshit

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Street Fighter 6 is going to be King of Fighters with a Silent Hill element.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Redezga posted:

Yeah that's a pretty fuckin bad opinion

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
actually i'm listening to the rest and yeah that's a pretty good video!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
youtube has totally broken our brains when two hours is very short

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

site posted:

youtube has totally broken our brains when two hours is very short

Remember back in the stone ages when video length was capped at 15 minutes or some poo poo?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
youtube was a mistake

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Phigs posted:

Torment builds too. The writing itself isn't amazing, where you're like entranced by the prose or whatever by the time you get out of the morgue. But it all eventually starts to come together to build a picture of the protagonist, their companions, the setting, and various other characters that is really great. It's kinda that bullshit "the game gets good X hours in" thing people say about a lot of games, but not because it gets good later, so much as it takes a while to accumulate the good poo poo into a critical mass. The morgue and the events in it I found pretty boring going through it but once you get further into the game and you understand more about the setting and characters it becomes a lot more interesting in hindsight.

I don't even know when I first knew I liked Torment but it took me 2 tries to get much further than the morgue.

Interesting; after being so disappointed by Baulder's Gate I was extremely doubtful that Planescape Torment would be any good so I first played it in an Internet Café because one of the staff insisted that I would like it a lot more and it turns out she was completely right.

I was coming off of Fallout 2, and I liked how you could stop and chat with your NPC's when you felt like it, even if they didn't have too much to say in most situations. Baulder's Gate had poo poo design which began my grudge against Bioware. Then Planescape Torment came along and suddenly I've got a wise-cracking skull companion that I can stop and talk to whenever I want. I enjoyed the descriptions and the general atmosphere of the morgue, so my brief time with the game is what convinced me to buy and play it. So in my case, it wasn't "the game gets good X hours in" but for me, it was good from the get-go.

Also I was fine with the combat.

In comparison, I got a bad feeling about Disco Elysium from the opening and it just got worse from there. While the writing isn't awful from a technical standpoint, I found it conceited, condescending and pretentious. I've not had a game invoke such a visceral hatred in me since I tried the Stanley Parable demo.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

i made a joke re: video length

welp see ya later

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Floodixor posted:

I'm nearing 100 runs in Hades and I love it.

I wanna know what some of the best weapon boon and hammer combinations people have

Hades is good and doesn't belong in this thread. My favorite builds are:
  • Evasion Fists + Curse of Drowning (duo boon), you can melt bosses in seconds as long as you remember to evade.
  • Hestia Rail + Ricochet Fire (Hammer Upgrade) + Artemis Crit boons + Marked boon makes the ultimate glass cannon build.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Panzeh posted:

Planescape torment wouldve been better as a visual novel.

I still have the original release of planescape torment. It came with a paperback novella and it is dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fridge corn posted:

It was fun I played a catboy