Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

IAMKOREA posted:

No it is for discussion of biosphere collapse ONLY. Also no talking about how the only country building nuclear power plants and high speed rail and controlling population growth is cool and good, as that has nothing to do with climate change.

it is time to #cancel the PRC for being malthusian ecofascists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Minera posted:

so are we gonna stop arizona building pools or no, make up your mind

come on, this is easy

reduce their size but build more of them

how the gently caress are we supposed to ever get out of this mess if you can't even come up with innovative ideas like that

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

he's right

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

beginning to suspect that forum owner jeffery of yospos is not a dude from yospos named jeffery at all but rather a conglomerate from taipei named formosa plastics group

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

:unsmith:

i haven't planted a seed for ten months for religious reasons and soon i'm allowed to sow again, i'm stoked to get some ecoterrorism underway

What religion doesn't allow planting seeds for almost a year?

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Jul 24, 2022

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

god drat, just let the end come

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Egg Moron posted:

god drat, just let the end come

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1551003853734264832

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
it's insane how much better at politics they are than the dems. trump is the dumbest motherfucker who has ever lived and he just runs circles around them every single time he does or says anything

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

To our supposed "fellow" Americans in Minnesota and other states bordering the Mississippi River who've sent letters to The Desert Sun: Your less-than-friendly replies to the idea of Mississippi water being sent by canal to meet up with the Colorado River is no surprise to us in the West.

You're right! We shouldn't make "our problem" your problem!

For that reason, I'm advocating for ocean desalination preferably via the Gulf of California. Pulling seawater that could be desalinated either in Mexico or California (or both) is much closer than transiting water from the Mississippi.

Despite the fact that our cities that were built, in your opinion, with no thought in mind, we are capable of putting together a plan to resolve our shortage. Why did we develop cities in the desert? What part of better weather year-round here in the West (rather than plowing through snow, flooding, and tornados) didn't occur to you? Maybe you should look at the numbers of households moving south.

So please keep your muddy water. We'll figure this out via our own state governments. But just remember, what goes around comes around, should you need our assistance in the future. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an answer. You might find our number unlisted.

Martin Weber, Cathedral City

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fart Dumbass posted:

it's insane how much better at politics they are than the dems. trump is the dumbest motherfucker who has ever lived and he just runs circles around them every single time he does or says anything

He meets his followers at their level instead of trying to bullshit them with a bunch of smart talk

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

brugroffil posted:

To our supposed "fellow" Americans in Minnesota and other states bordering the Mississippi River who've sent letters to The Desert Sun: Your less-than-friendly replies to the idea of Mississippi water being sent by canal to meet up with the Colorado River is no surprise to us in the West.

You're right! We shouldn't make "our problem" your problem!

For that reason, I'm advocating for ocean desalination preferably via the Gulf of California. Pulling seawater that could be desalinated either in Mexico or California (or both) is much closer than transiting water from the Mississippi.

Despite the fact that our cities that were built, in your opinion, with no thought in mind, we are capable of putting together a plan to resolve our shortage. Why did we develop cities in the desert? What part of better weather year-round here in the West (rather than plowing through snow, flooding, and tornados) didn't occur to you? Maybe you should look at the numbers of households moving south.

So please keep your muddy water. We'll figure this out via our own state governments. But just remember, what goes around comes around, should you need our assistance in the future. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an answer. You might find our number unlisted.

Martin Weber, Cathedral City

he’s right in terms of carbon. living in cold areas is bad in that regard

New England is a land of contrasts:

you can’t use EVs and many midwesterners are turning to heated driveways to cope with the blistering cold.

“mid”-west!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hubbert posted:

can't wait to shitpost over ham radio from my dome

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Hexigrammus posted:

The family next door smuggled some back to the Island after a trip to Disneyland in the 1990s. A couple of them survived and one is now a respectable house-shading sized tree. We're thinking about propagating it because they are more drought resistant than our dying cedars.

Not sure about that flammability thing though. Oh well, gently caress it, I want some evergreens back in these woods.

Am I going to do this? Sure, why the gently caress not?:

Apparently they are one of the fastest growing conifers. Yeah you'll be long dead before its a proper adult, but it'll get as big as a "regular " tree pretty fast.

Fast for a tree of I mean.

Fell Mood has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Jul 24, 2022

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

mawarannahr posted:

you can’t use EVs and many midwesterners are turning to heated driveways to cope with the blistering cold.

“mid”-west!

heated driveways???????

:suicide:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

IAMKOREA posted:

What religion doesn't allow planting seeds for almost a year?

Judaism

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aLtGwHqX8M

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

just paint cities green :smugdon:

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

mawarannahr posted:

Why not

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mawarannahr posted:

New England burns heating oil and natural gas to stay warm, so it's not really a surprise. It's always extremely funny when people rail against AC without mentioning the fact that it's wildly, hilariously more inefficient to keep your home heated to like 65-70 degrees in the winter.

Basically, everyone just needs a heat pump and if you live in an area where that's not good enough to keep you cool or keep you warm then don't live there.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

maybe exaggerated a little to disparage an entire geographical region based on a number on a map

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the suburb I live in now has active logging operations since some people realized they have a few trees worth money unfortunate enough to be located on their property so there are these weird miniature logging trucks driving around filling up on logs a few houses at a time

several houses have cut down multiple extremely old oak trees and left the giant ground level stumps because I guess they just wanted the money for the wood and were too cheap to properly dispose of the tree corpse so their yards look like fern gully after the machines are done

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Paradoxish posted:

New England burns heating oil and natural gas to stay warm, so it's not really a surprise. It's always extremely funny when people rail against AC without mentioning the fact that it's wildly, hilariously more inefficient to keep your home heated to like 65-70 degrees in the winter.

see: my car trying to heat itself in the winter vs cool itself in the summer

heating drains the battery in minutes, AC barely affects it

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Strabo4 posted:

heated driveways???????

:suicide:

One of the joys of Canada's ridiculous housing market is rich people selling in the city and using the proceeds to come out to the sticks and build McMansions. One of these near us has a heated driveway at the top of a nasty hill between us and the highway. Every five years or so a snow/ice storm makes the hill impassable for a few days but this is the west coast so normally with winter tires/chains/4wd/careful driving we're not inconvenienced. This nimrod's meltwater flows down this hill and re-freezes partway down.

I think he's been threatened if he uses it again.

There is a belief that the batteries lose a great deal of capacity in the cold and with the extra juice needed to keep the cabin warm they have no range. The Scandinavians and Canadians driving EVs in the winter do not subscribe to this belief.

Huh. I grew up in a wanna-be Christian fundamentalist sect that sometimes tried to be more Jewish than the Jews. Totally missed that part of Leviticus.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

quote:

Other cultivation techniques (such as watering, fertilizing, weeding, spraying, trimming and mowing) may be performed as a preventive measure only, not to improve the growth of trees or other plants. Additionally, any fruits or herbs which grow of their own accord and where no watch is kept over them are deemed hefker (ownerless) and may be picked by anyone.

that's kind of cool. I vaguely remember something in plato's laws too about who gets to pick what that grows along the side of the road

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I'm sure this has been covered by the thread already, but I've been listening to the radio (lol) and watching tv (lol) recently, lots of news stories about the European heat wave. One of the things that keeps coming up is how governments are looking at subsidising air conditioning systems for people in these countries to help them handle the high temperatures, and it's jokerfying me to the max. Shouldn't it be clearly obvious that if climate change is making everything loving hot and your solution is to burn more energy and make climate change still worse to temporarily make a small improvement in living conditions in some places you're following a bankrupt ideology?

It's like that Futurama episode were the solution was to drop increasingly large blocks of ice into the ocean but somehow even more stupid!

Also to be pedantic unless the wet-bulb temperature of where you live is higher than body temperature you CAN technically survive there without aircon, and if the wet-bulb temperature is higher than that you shouldn't be loving living there. Aircon is a nice to have, at the expense of everyone dyeing slightly faster.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
you seem to be confused. the point of more air conditioning is to change the climate.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

at this rate it will be extending into august faster than expected

couple years from now we might see a Red Face event in early february

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Have Jeff and Elon ever been seen in the same room a once?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Wakko posted:

you seem to be confused. the point of more air conditioning is to change the climate.

climate control

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fanfic insert posted:

climate control

air conditioning change

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

jet stream question.. how will the breaking of it affect the southern hemisphere? will we eventually get the same heat you guys are getting?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

toggle posted:

jet stream question.. how will the breaking of it affect the southern hemisphere? will we eventually get the same heat you guys are getting?

https://www.weather.gov/jetstream/jet

They are in both hemispheres and since the changes to the atmosphere and oceans are global then there will be similar disruptions

mostly it's going to mean erratic and unpredictable extremes so if you may potentially have the extreme heatwaves at unexpected times or for unexpected lengths

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

IAMKOREA posted:

Fly molos post telling sinophobic libs to gently caress off was good, bro

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

mawarannahr posted:

“mid”-west!

Jeeeeesus fuckin :wtc:
Death to America

E) also gently caress Fly Molo for shittin up the thread from beyond the grave :argh:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
theres a bunch of those heated driveways in the wealthier parts of sweden as well. usually coupled with century old poorly insulated, as in, theres literally holes just venting heat all over the place and it kind of makes you laugh at how dumb these people are for not fixing it while they renovate these buildings for $2-5m, 4-floor-1-family houses with 3 quarters of the space, including the basement that was never built to be used but is now a combination wine cellar and wine tasting room which now has to be both cooled during the summer and heated during the winter, having floor heating which is "smart because heat goes up and warms the whole building", except for those aforementioned venting holes no one bothered to fix.

Oh and $1900/knob drawer knobs x 120 or so with hand crafted walnut drawers and andandandadnadnadn

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62225696

quote:

The audacious PR plot that seeded doubt about climate change

Thirty years ago, a bold plan was cooked up to spread doubt and persuade the public that climate change was not a problem. The little-known meeting - between some of America's biggest industrial players and a PR genius - forged a devastatingly successful strategy that endured for years, and the consequences of which are all around us.
Harrison began the pitch by reminding his audience that he was instrumental in fighting the auto reforms. He had done so, in part, by reframing the issue.

The same tactics would now help beat climate regulation. They would persuade people that the scientific facts weren't settled, and that alongside the environment, policy makers needed to consider how action on climate change would - in the GCC's view - negatively affect American jobs, trade and prices.

The strategy would be implemented through an extensive media campaign, everything from placing quotes and pitching opinion pieces (so-called op-eds), to direct contacts with journalists.
The plan was to pay these sceptics to give speeches or write op-eds - about $1,500 (£1,250) per article - and to arrange media tours so they could appear on local TV and radio stations.
"The Global Climate Coalition is seeding doubt everywhere, fogging the air… And environmentalists really don't know what's hitting them," environmental campaigner John Passacantando remembers.

"What the geniuses of the PR firms who work for these big fossil fuel companies know is that truth has nothing to do with who wins the argument. If you say something enough times, people will begin to believe it."

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1551176118149038080?s=20&t=O-vGmG3mza4kyXTVXyQhKw

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Hedges is the prime example of terminal lib brain. "Mass civil disobedience" against a class who couldn't care less whether you live or die is just another form of suicide. Good writer, though.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Hedges is the prime example of terminal lib brain. "Mass civil disobedience" against a class who couldn't care less whether you live or die is just another form of suicide. Good writer, though.

yeah I didn’t like him comparing Stalinism to fascism in the article either. he consistently tears apart the American ruling class and the media like few others do though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

lol

"My role was to identify the voices that were not in the mainstream and to give those voices a stage," Rheem says. "There was a lot we didn't know at the time. And part of my role was to highlight what we didn't know."

He says the media was hungry for these perspectives.

"Journalists were actually actively looking for the contrarians. It was really feeding an appetite that was already there."

lmao