Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
ill wait for The Gray Man vs The Tall Man sequel (The Empty Man shows up in the post credits scene)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Watched The Gray Man as well.

The first third is pretty bad, the second third is actually quite good, and the last third is merely mediocre. IMHO it's worth watching for the middle action bits and Chris Evans.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i keep thinking people are talking about The Empty Man

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
maybe this is the point, but it's hard to think of a more bland and forgettable title than "The Grey Man"

edit: "Gray Man". See, already screwed it up.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 23, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glottis posted:

maybe this is the point, but it's hard to think of a more bland and forgettable title than "The Grey Man"
The Russo Brothers, being in the MCU family, should've taken a page from DC and called it "Ryan Gosling v Chris Evans".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Glottis posted:

Red Notice

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Toxic Avenger (1984) is such a good watch, especially when you know nothing about the movie going in...

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
having actually watched The Gray Man, I think it's an above average action movie. It's of course full of action tropes, but also full of good actors that aren't completely phoning it in. Although the action scenes are over the top it doesn't ever reach the level of Fast and Furious-style "this is physically impossible". It's worth watching if you like action / spy thriller movies, even if you don't absolutely love every minute of it. Plus, it's very nice to look at most of the time. It's miles better than movies like Red Notice.

Most of the negative reviews seem to be frustrated that it's not revolutionizing the genre or are looking at it through the context of entertainment value as a function of the budget, and both viewpoints are valid but will set you up for disappointment. None of the characters are completely new, but I at least have a concept of each main character, and would be happy to see a sequel.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Last Night in Soho on HBO was alright. It's not as fun as most of his other movies. It has a lot of music from the 60s in it and I was surprised to learn that "Always Something There to Remind Me" by Naked Eyes and "Got My Mind Set On You" by George Harrison are both covers.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
also, finally watching The Talented Mr. Ripley for the first time since Netflix is shoving it at me and it is fun to see a lot of actors when they first blew up, and the movie really holds up. Almost everyone is great and seeing coastal Italy is neat. If you haven't watched it yet, do so. It's excellent.

Except Gwyneth Paltrow, who sucks, and has apparently always sucked, and I have no idea why people liked her. She's presented as some super hot girl, and is equally as hacky of an actor as she is now.

Oh wait, her parents were actors and producers.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 24, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talented Mr Ripley owns especially since i read The Disaster Artist lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Tried Cruella on D+, hoping it would be 80 minutes of Emma Stone chewing scenery wearing that wig and with over the top costume design. There's like 10 minutes of that tops, most of it is either Devil Wears Prada: London 1974 or a lame heist movie. Not entirely worthless, but rarely as fun as I had hoped and never as funny as that scene of the dogs killing her mom that went viral.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Card Counter is easily my new favorite Paul Schrader movie. his stuff always has the most weird juxtapositions of themes, like how First Reformed was all about global warming

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I had not seen First Reformed, and picked up the Card Counter as a Soderbergh-esque genre flick about a guy with a troubled past who's pulled into the world of WSOP competitions.

I was... unprepared for that movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Modern Leper posted:

I had not seen First Reformed, and picked up the Card Counter as a Soderbergh-esque genre flick about a guy with a troubled past who's pulled into the world of WSOP competitions.

I was... unprepared for that movie.

yeah i didn't know anything about it going in so i wasn't quite expecting... where it goes

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

precision posted:

The Card Counter is easily my new favorite Paul Schrader movie. his stuff always has the most weird juxtapositions of themes, like how First Reformed was all about global warming

Hell yeah

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I'm seeing a lot of "meh" reactions to The Gray Man but I was really entertained. Honestly I think it's easily the best Netflix action movie so far.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Finally finished with Stranger things latest season, It still pretty filled with good ideas crapped out like satanic power and what just feels like a story retconned into working each season
I don't recommended it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Upsidads posted:

Finally finished with Stranger things latest season, It still pretty filled with good ideas crapped out like satanic power and what just feels like a story retconned into working each season
I don't recommended it

I've only watched the first episode of the fourth season but I gotta say it didn't disabuse me of the notion I've had since the second season, which is that Stranger Things should've ended with the first season

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I thought The Gray Man was decent, with Chris Evans being the highlight. I’m really enjoying his villain phase.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Down By Law is on HBO.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah Chris Evans going full scumbag was really fun to watch.

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

I also enjoyed The Gray Man, pretty decent action movie. It's no Mad Max: Fury Road, or Mission Impossible Fallout but overall it was entertaining.

Chris Evans and his moustache sure looked like having fun making it. Also Ryan Gosling's "in pain/struggling" grunts should get their own MTV movie award.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Chris Evans was great in it but the film wasn't that good imo. The action was way too CGI heavy and it just took me out of it. That skydiving sequence reminded me of the awful fully CGI matrix sequels fight scenes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AcidCat posted:

I'm seeing a lot of "meh" reactions to The Gray Man but I was really entertained. Honestly I think it's easily the best Netflix action movie so far.

I think this may say more about the quality of Netflix action movies generally than The Gray Man specifically.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is "Visitors" good? It looks like adult stranger things

i watched it all this weekend and thought it was pretty decent. its not stranger things at all, its more of an absurd tragicomedy

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched all of The Staircase this weekend. It was just okay, kinda boring? The performances were good and nothing about it was egregiously bad, but it just sorta dragged on for too long and felt like the same story beats were unnecessarily repeated in different ways for no real reason. Shoulda been like two episodes shorter I think.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Papercut posted:

Watched all of The Staircase this weekend. It was just okay, kinda boring? The performances were good and nothing about it was egregiously bad, but it just sorta dragged on for too long and felt like the same story beats were unnecessarily repeated in different ways for no real reason. Shoulda been like two episodes shorter I think.

Creating a story like that is a multi-step process. Maybe they should've taken more time on the editing step. Maybe the actors should've stepped their game up. Maybe the show runner should've stepped down and allowed someone else to step up to manage the production. Maybe a Steppenwolf song would've improved the story.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I watched the doc that the dramatization was based on back in 2006 or so and remember thinking the dad hadn't done it. My grandma read a book based on the case and she thought he was guilty as hell.

It's been so long I don't remember much about it. Did you watch the doc first or just the dramatization? In hindsight, the doc follows his defense attorneys and his family so naturally the focus is on info that makes him look innocent with two tragedies happening to his partners.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jolo posted:

I watched the doc that the dramatization was based on back in 2006 or so and remember thinking the dad hadn't done it. My grandma read a book based on the case and she thought he was guilty as hell.

It's been so long I don't remember much about it. Did you watch the doc first or just the dramatization? In hindsight, the doc follows his defense attorneys and his family so naturally the focus is on info that makes him look innocent with two tragedies happening to his partners.

It's the dramatization on HBO, I didn't know anything about the case before that but just assumed the show was based on a real story. In terms of his guilt the show goes back and forth throughout, showing different possible scenarios, mostly hinting at his innocence for most of it, but then pulling the he's guilty twist at the end

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finished The Sopranos last month with my son and going by his reaction it does hold up. For July we binged Deadwood. These recent rewatches have slightly changed my top shows of all time. The Wire and Mad Men still in the top 2, but Deadwood has jumped up to the 3rd spot. The Sopranos is now at 4th. This was my 3rd watch of The Sopranos and every time I rewatch it just gets funnier. This was my first real Deadwood rewatch since it aired and I forgotten (didn’t appreciate) how it was on another level.

I will say my son had only one problem (it’s one of the characters) with The Sopranos which is the same problem I have with it. Care to guess the initials?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

doctorthefonz fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 25, 2022

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I still can't believe old Finneus stood up Vito at the Yankee game. Rude imo.

Edit: People don't talk enough about how funny that show is. Christopher rambling while high as balls at a wake and Paulie relaying information from Tony about the Russian are absolutely hilarious moments.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 25, 2022

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Yep. He just gets worse with every rewatch.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

nate fisher posted:

Yep. He just gets worse with every rewatch.

I felt a lot of sympathy towards AJ when I watched the show for the first time last year. Sure he's a dumbass little poo poo in a bunch of ways but he had no real choice in how he'd turn out. By the end of the series it's clear that the character has a growing sense that there's something very wrong with his life and he has no way of dealing with it and no support system that can help him.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
"tell him to stick those Duncan Sheik cds right up his rear end" is one of the greatest cold opens to a scene in any TV show ever.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah that was my fave thing about my sopranos rewatch, realizing how much of it is straight up comedy

Ditto mad men and the whole don draper was named after a threat of vengeful castration

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Grey Man was like some kind of discount Mission Impossible: Fallout without bothering to emulate the verisimilitude. Chris Evans was imho the only one who was able to elevate the terrible script into an actually hilarious performance. Laughed out loud at the (I have to assume, highly self aware) ken doll joke.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Mad Men is a funny, funny show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Papercut posted:

It's the dramatization on HBO, I didn't know anything about the case before that but just assumed the show was based on a real story. In terms of his guilt the show goes back and forth throughout, showing different possible scenarios, mostly hinting at his innocence for most of it, but then pulling the he's guilty twist at the end

So it wasn't an owl?