Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Sumo merch is great it's all so incredibly tacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I already had the magnet

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Log082 posted:

Once more:

SHODAI.

He's like, "Oh was that me? drat."

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Ichinojo vs 7-7 ura tomorrow, they're 3-3 against each other if you don't count fusen.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Ichinojo vs 7-7 ura tomorrow, they're 3-3 against each other if you don't count fusen.

Final day yusho coming down to Teru, Taka and Ichi. For all the craziness of the basho, it winds up coming down to a pretty standard finale with the Yoko, Ozeki and a high Maegashira fighting for the cup.

A Taka/Ura win combo would setup a 3 way playoff.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Maigius posted:

Is there a clip of the ultimate instance of Shodai?

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1550791282989355013?s=20&t=QyX1MuRuzxZI4PYOB9aw9w

This is very Shodai.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

That's avatar material for someone lol

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

net work error posted:

He's like, "Oh was that me? drat."

It would be hilarious if he Mr. Magoo'd himself into winning a yusho.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Buttchocks posted:

It would be hilarious if he Mr. Magoo'd himself into winning a yusho.

i mean, thats basically how he became an ozeki to begin with.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Wait, that tweet says it's not a kinboshi?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Can't be sekiwake, komosubi, or ozeki to get a kinboshi.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 24, 2022

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Log082 posted:

Can't be sekiwake, komosubi, or ozeki to get a kinboshi.

wild, makes sense, thanks

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shodai has 9 wins but it’s really more like a couple wins and 7 times where his opponent just lost. Teru slipping on a banana peel was not something I expected.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hokutofuji and Okinoumi are kyujo for the final day as Hokutofuji returned a positive COVID test. Had to be at least one more withdrawal naturally.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

SHODAI unlocking his latent power because someone suggested he warm up before fighting continues to be very funny

Very surprised that the final bout didn’t end up being Terunofuji vs Ichinojo - but probably not as surprised as Terunofuji was.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Well hot poo poo, Ichinogo no longer. This was one of the most exciting, straight-up weirdest, kyujo-laden basho ever. I know we're still living in strange times, but it's still wild to me, and I've only been watching for like... when was 2016 again?

[edit] Dude looks eternally like he's going to pass out from over-exertion just from breathing, but especially now.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 24, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Feel like there probably could have been a mono ii for Hoshoryu v Midorifuji, not enough that I'm going to complain about ---Hoshoryu--- getting robbed or anything, but I wouldn't have minded a rematch.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks for the new av!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
https://twitter.com/azechiazechi/status/1551124457992830976?s=21&t=v2CjFg8BuxzD6lAJMN-B2g

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Anyone know the name of the cow/bull trophy they hand out? I'm trying to hunt for a good high resolution photo of it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Ichinojo yusho what the gently caress

If you told me a year ago he'd win a yusho I would have laughed. For ages and ages he was just that guy who steps back off the ring easily

Good for him, he deserves it. Ichinojo got his mojo back. Seems like Lord Shodai did too. Let's hope he can make two KKs in a row.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Feel like there probably could have been a mono ii for Hoshoryu v Midorifuji, not enough that I'm going to complain about ---Hoshoryu--- getting robbed or anything, but I wouldn't have minded a rematch.

Nah he definitely got robbed, top of Midorifuji's foot is touching clay long before Hoshoryu falls, he's already out here:
That being said he's already 9-6 at Komusubi and I just don't think 10-5 was gonna be the difference between getting or not getting the Sekiwake spot, we're either getting 3 (maybe 4 with Mitakeumi? probably not) Sekiwake next basho or Hoshoryu stays at Komusubi and Ichinojo goes up past him.
I guess there's still the envelopes.

Edit: Oh and Daieisho probably keeps his rank now that I think about it, so 4 Sekiwake actually could happen that way too

Shodai.

Brut fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 24, 2022

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Last 3 fights were all incredible. Besides Hoshoryu and Midorifuji really need a mono-ii. What a weird, cursed basho.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

News: 10
Views: Wins for Lord Shodai

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Brut posted:

Nah he definitely got robbed, top of Midorifuji's foot is touching clay long before Hoshoryu falls, he's already out here:
That being said he's already 9-6 at Komusubi and I just don't think 10-5 was gonna be the difference between getting or not getting the Sekiwake spot, we're either getting 3 (maybe 4 with Mitakeumi? probably not) Sekiwake next basho or Hoshoryu stays at Komusubi and Ichinojo goes up past him.
I guess there's still the envelopes.

Shodai.

Oh drat. Missed that in the broadcast.

Well, now I'm indignant that my boy got robbed. How dare they. :mad:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tochinoshin :(

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Pro-click Ichi doc for those who haven't seen it.

What a crazy Basho, super pleased for Ichinojo finally getting his yusho!

Stronger Ozeki performances have made a difference too, Shodai going full Shodai is a delight but Takakeisho looked close to his best as well - he's one of a few rikishi who have a good record against Terunofuji and every time they meet it's worth watching.

Loved Midorifuji this basho too, some real powerful performances from him, exciting for the future.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tochinoshin, Ura : :smith:
Shodai, Ichinojou : :unsmith:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Amidst the chaos, we need to remember the important things:

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1551137052749574146?s=20&t=bcUW4xt7GoHZiumLsx-ZYA

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Boo, yusho winner. Boo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
was unable to watch any of this basho. catching up now and i wish i had been watching. not because it was good, but because it was loving insane and we're unlikely to see it's like any time soon. i hope.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Great matches for a final day of the July basho!

Shodai is great to watch when he's trying and boy did he really want to win today.

Ichinojo with his first win, congrats to him!

Finally, Takakeisho telling Teru "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" with his victory over Teru, I love it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Tochinoshin nooooo

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Hakuho: "Hey, Shodai, you should really warm up before matches."
Shodai: [becomes Yokozuna]

What a strange basho.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Log082 posted:

Hakuho: "Hey, Shodai, you should really warm up before matches."
Shodai: [becomes Yokozuna]

What a strange basho.

Is there any actual reporting on this having happened? I want something concrete to show my friends

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Shodai has earned the goon yokozuna license even if the JSA wrongly disagrees with its legitimacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Okinoumi is a bum and I regret picking him