Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSOg8MH8tQs

This is Brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jippa posted:

Pizza with turkish delight, fisherman's friends and pineapple on it. :stare:

No sweetcorn, so I'd try it

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

kemikalkadet posted:

This is mostly crops ripening no?

Grass and trees etc I think. The UK generally stays green in the summer (maybe some areas of south east england don't).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Really good quality dark chocolate like Lindt that isn't too high a percentage can be good, but the cheap stuff is nasty and the high percentage stuff that is just cocoa powder in bar form is just baffling, the texture is so tacky and awful.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Kegluneq posted:

all dark chocolate is rank.

what the actual gently caress

grow an adult tongue you infant :mad:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

:discourse:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s not Brexit , it’s not Brexit I continue to insist as the queue slowly grows and transforms my two weeks in Benidorm into making GBS threads in a bush next to the M2

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Really good quality dark chocolate like Lindt that isn't too high a percentage can be good, but the cheap stuff is nasty and the high percentage stuff that is just cocoa powder in bar form is just baffling, the texture is so tacky and awful.

Dark choc & milk choc serve different purposes. Both are great. Although I will say that the most minging bar of chocolate I've had was Lindt's Wasabi dark chocolate bar. Their chili chocolate was nice so I was curious & I'm pretty sure that it was the first time in my life I couldn't finish a bar of chocolate. I tried sharing it around, but that went straight in the bin. Would not recommend. But yeah, 85% cocoa was fine, a little bit too bitter for my tastes but still perfectly palatable. I think my not-very-sweet spot is in the 70%-75% range.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

I stayed on a street in one of the central arrondissements jn Paris that just happened to be all creperies. Got a crepe that was filled with boudin noir (kinda black pudding) and pear, and fellas it was gift. One of the things I would miss about the aul veggie life

whose père was it

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You know, on the whole sweet chat thing. I've always found it baffling how most people have massive food hatreds for various things.

From people saying coconut is the devil's semen, to being unable to stomach tomatoes.

I honestly can't think of a single food that I hate in all its forms. Usually something I disliked has turned out to be because it was ruined and served to me as a kid.

Is it just that, or is the coriander / soap gene basically a thing for most foods and pineapple does in fact taste like horse spit to a lot of folks?

Did half of the UK lose their Nan in a tragic coconut accident? Or accidentally drink/eat rancid coconut?

Mebh fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 24, 2022

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Even the coriander thing only applies to fresh coriander. You can put dried coriander in most of those people's food and they'll like it (speaking as someone with the soap gene)

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Mebh posted:

You know, on the whole sweet chat thing. I've always found it baffling how most people have massove food hatreds for various things.

From people saying coconut is the devil's semen, to being unable to stomach tomatoes.

I honestly can't think of a single food that i hate in all its forms. Usually something I disliked has turned out to be becuse it was ruined and served to me as a kid.

Is it just that or is the coriander /soap gene basically a thing for most foods and pineapple does in fact taste like horse spit to a lot of folks?

Like. Did half of the uk lose their nan in a tragic coconut accident? Or accidentally drink/eat rancid coconut?

I can't speak for everyone but I can say that last time I noshed off beelzebub and it did leave a coconutty humm

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
olives suck

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mebh posted:

You know, on the whole sweet chat thing. I've always found it baffling how most people have massove food hatreds for various things.

I honestly can't think of a single food that i hate in all its forms. Usually something I disliked has turned out to be becuse it was ruined and served to me as a kid.

Is it just that or is the coriander /soap gene basically a thing for most foods and pineapple does in fact taste like horse spit to a lot of folks?

Like. Did half of the uk lose their nan in a tragic coconut accident? Or accidentally drink/eat rancid coconut?

People on the internet go way over the top in food arguments.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

You know, on the whole sweet chat thing. I've always found it baffling how most people have massive food hatreds for various things.

I honestly can't think of a single food that I hate in all its forms. Usually something I disliked has turned out to be because it was ruined and served to me as a kid.

Is it just that or is the coriander / soap gene basically a thing for most foods and pineapple does in fact taste like horse spit to a lot of folks?

Like. Did half of the UK lose their Nan in a tragic coconut accident? Or accidentally drink/eat rancid coconut?

Yeah I feel bad for people with such aversions, I think it relates to disgust thresholds or something. I think I find rosemary overpowering so I don't love it but it's NBD. Everything else, I'll keep eating that garbage

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Caramac is dogshit.

That is all.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I don't particularly like overly fishy fish (tbh that's just freshness isn't it?) and have yet to find a scallop that is "like gorgeous buttery butterness" that well off people seem to go on about when they discuss having their scallops brought to them by a diver and seared straight from the bay in a hot wok. Not really a fan of prawn sashimi either. However I wouldn't stake my identity on it like with chocolate oranges or pineapples on pizza. Same as my friend who can't eat mayo in any form because it's too 'moist' and it disgusts him.

There's a lad at work who can't eat anything that doesn't have half a pound of cheese melted on it and looks at vegetables like they are the enemy. I also know an entire household who can't stand raw tomatoes because they're too 'gooey' like what the gently caress people.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

No sweetcorn, so I'd try it

add a pickled onion monster munch and we're talking

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Parma violets are modelled after old lady perfume.
If you like them, then you want to have sex with old ladies, and that's a fact.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Dark chocolate is the devil's work. Someone gave me a bar of 85% - it sat in my fridge for 6 months with only 2 squares taken (shows how gross it is - normally I demolish a bar of choc in a few seconds) before I threw it out.

One of my friends keeps nagging me 'it's an acquired taste, you'll love it'. No, it isn't. I don't love it. And I haven't got enough time on God's Good Earth to acquire a taste for some food. I wanna like it NOW. A nice bar of CDM unadulterated with bits (except wholenut, that's good too) is my preference.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Oh, speaking of monster munch.

If you ever get the chance to get your hands on these (or just want to buy them on ebay right now)

Japanese UMAIBO

They are like... tubes of monster munch, in flavours you have never ever dreamed of and they have the lovely vanishing caloric density that monster munch have.

Cheese, Teriyaki Burger, Cod Roe, Salami, Corn, Takoyaki, Tonkatsu, Yakitori, Nori Salt and Cinnamon Apple pie.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dark chocolate is the devil's work. Someone gave me a bar of 85% - it sat in my fridge for 6 months with only 2 squares taken (shows how gross it is - normally I demolish a bar of choc in a few seconds) before I threw it out.

One of my friends keeps nagging me 'it's an acquired taste, you'll love it'. No, it isn't. I don't love it. And I haven't got enough time on God's Good Earth to acquire a taste for some food. I wanna like it NOW. A nice bar of CDM unadulterated with bits (except wholenut, that's good too) is my preference.

But... you could have made amazing hot chocolate with it as you literally add sugar and milk... and and... :( what a waste.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I like fish but find Salmon utterly vile.

Also I have a hatred/genuine fear of Vinegar to the point people know it's the one thing not to joke and or prank me with. I'd sooner eat dinner next to actual poo than an open container of vinegar.

This makes trying new food or getting a sandwich anyone inordinately difficult

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most food becomes poo, but only wine and cider becomes vinegar.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Trying to remember if it was fisherman's friends I had an intensely negative reaction to as a kid or Victory V, which are the same flavour profile (tastes of brown) and, well...

quote:

Victory V is a British brand of liquorice-flavoured lozenges.[1] Originally manufactured in Nelson, Lancashire, they were devised by Thomas Fryer and Edward Smith MD in 1864[1] and were initially made by hand to ensure that each sweet contained the correct amount of therapeutic ingredients; ether, liquorice and chloroform.

What is it with the whole "oh you're ill? Here have some mouth violence"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Guavanaut posted:

Most food becomes poo, but only wine and cider becomes vinegar.

You can get coconut vinegar.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I really don't like cooked salmon to be fair, but salmon sashimi is incredible.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Jippa posted:

People on the internet go way over the top in food arguments.

maybe it's a sublimation of the hooting and hollering people aren't doing with things they actually have strong opinions about

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

But... you could have made amazing hot chocolate with it as you literally add sugar and milk... and and... :( what a waste.

Funnily enough, given how much (milk) choc I can scoff, I don't like hot chocolate! I don't like the smell of burnt cocoa that always seems to accompany it.

Isomermaid posted:

Trying to remember if it was fisherman's friends I had an intensely negative reaction to as a kid or Victory V, which are the same flavour profile (tastes of brown) and, well...

I had completely forgotten about those, another favourite of my nan's. Also my sister IIRC. Disgusting.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
RacismDial.tweet

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1551138618785382401

Cool that the country will be run by the winner of the Biggest Skidmark competition.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dark chocolate should be eaten a square at a time, accompanied with a strong espresso and a glass of water.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Isomermaid posted:

liquorice and chloroform

gently caress me up fam.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The only food I outright dislike is eggs (mostly for the smell) and it's a shame, wish I liked them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

Not enough opioids to be a traditional British sweet.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Miftan posted:

Even the coriander thing only applies to fresh coriander. You can put dried coriander in most of those people's food and they'll like it (speaking as someone with the soap gene)

Bloody strange isn't it, absolutely love dried coriander but the fresh stiff is like eating a bar of Life Boy. :(

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Green and Blacks have a new “smooth” dark chocolate which has the bittering compounds significantly removed somehow, which you might try. You can actually taste the fruity complex taste people rave about in dark chocolates without having to train your brain to ignore the bitter taste. I tend to like milk chocolate which is just a little darker than most standard chocolate, and this stuff was quite a bit darker than I like to go while also being enjoyable to eat.

I do find it interesting how there’s this divergence between coffee and dark chocolate culture. Both foods are generally known for their bitterness, but where hardcore chocolate people want to go as dark as possible, acquire a taste for the bitterness, and pride themselves on tasting through that bitterness, hardcore coffee people consider bitterness a flaw (indicative of a bad grind or cheap product) and strive to minimise it in their brews.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Dark chocolate is best eaten... cooked into a nice dark chocolate fudge cake.
I can attest to this recipe too, but it requires 500g chocolate - (over 50% dark and it will taste too bitter), 300g double cream, 200g butter, 400g of sugar, which I think puts the calorific density somewhere between crude oil and uranium.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

When I was much younger I read and watched the TV version of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and thought Turkish Delight must have either been invented for the book or a delicious old–timey treat that wasn’t around anymore.

I was incredibly excited to try some when I saw it in a shop and then incredibly disappointed when it turned out to be some weird gross jelly thing 🤢

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it was better in the past, either because they had superior secret ingredients or because the only other sweets available were 'green arsenic boiled sweet' and 'a raw sugar beet, thrown at u'

Or magic.

https://twitter.com/catvalente/status/1417296857638735899

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Reveilled posted:

I do find it interesting how there’s this divergence between coffee and dark chocolate culture. Both foods are generally known for their bitterness, but where hardcore chocolate people want to go as dark as possible, acquire a taste for the bitterness, and pride themselves on tasting through that bitterness, hardcore coffee people consider bitterness a flaw (indicative of a bad grind or cheap product) and strive to minimise it in their brews.

Yeah most coffee that people have had is either crappy freeze-dried instant, or Starbucks who deliberately roast their beans to a crisp to guarantee a consistent (awful) taste. My wife rarely drank coffee before she met me, and when she did it needed milk and sugar, now she’ll have a cup of black coffee a day with me because it’s made properly with properly roasted beans amd it doesn’t need sweetening.