Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Am I crazy or did the size of AoEs get a buff recently? I've seen a huge warlock shadow word and a giant meteor hammer on youtube recently and nobody is talking about it. It makes me think I am going insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Meteor hammer specifically got a buff to its aoe along with a slight damage nurf in a recent-ish patch

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I hit 5k back when that was good but now I'm awful at the game and barely maintaining 3k. Knowing all your mistakes as youre making them is a bad feeling.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

A really good feeling though is just selling all your items and buying a rapier when your team is being needlessly toxic in a winning game

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I've always been 3k no matter what, one time after going to TI I got really psyched to ladder and briefly crested 4k and immediately fell back down to where I belong

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Geight posted:

I've always been 3k no matter what, one time after going to TI I got really psyched to ladder and briefly crested 4k and immediately fell back down to where I belong

High-3k is the best because you get to match with smurfs a lot and it gives you a breath of experience, I live for this.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

What's the longest queue time anyone's seen in the post-game screen? Today it said someone waited for a game for 24:17 and I can't imagine not deciding to just do something else after like five minutes unless I was in a full stack

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i think really high mmr people have to wait ages. They seem to spend a lot of time theorycrafting and practicing in demo mode while they wait

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Geight posted:

What's the longest queue time anyone's seen in the post-game screen? Today it said someone waited for a game for 24:17 and I can't imagine not deciding to just do something else after like five minutes unless I was in a full stack

You can set it so that Dota returns to the foreground when your queue pops. Then just tab out and do something else.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
They’ve added surrender for 5man parties (post 30min) and made it possible for 5man parties to match with non-5man

https://twitter.com/wykrhm/status/1544761036284104705?s=21&t=gPagr4xkPIPIHKjBovld6g

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whens the compendium gimmick happen

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

emdash posted:

They’ve added surrender for 5man parties (post 30min) and made it possible for 5man parties to match with non-5man

https://twitter.com/wykrhm/status/1544761036284104705?s=21&t=gPagr4xkPIPIHKjBovld6g

this is pretty cool

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

emdash posted:

Sick, now I just need 4 people I can tolerate playing DOTA with

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
That’s cool they should just make it a thing in all games and have it require 5/5 votes or some poo poo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

causticBeet posted:

That’s cool they should just make it a thing in all games and have it require 5/5 votes or some poo poo
it was a thing in HoN and it kinda sucked big time

people are just way too quick to give up, especially at lower mmr where everyone is poo poo and the game can swing on the outcome of a single late game teamfight

I'm also unsure how I feel about letting 5stacks match against non-5stacks

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 7, 2022

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
BP should be starting around the end of the major, based on when the collector’s cache submissions started. But we are in uncharted BP territory so don’t take my word for it

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

as long as it's not possible to fill partial parties in ranked its idk ok its fine. high mmr streams are gonna be funny though

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Strict solo queue option should still work in ranked but I think duo queuing just got even worse since now you can get paired with three dumbos and still have to fight a five-stack

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Who doesn't love being the solo queuer matched with a 4-stack vs a 5-stack?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder how many of these matchmaking changes that they've implemented every so often are just to make queue time a little more manageable as the playerbase slowly declines...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm only in Legend, and my queue times are often 15+ minutes.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ojetor posted:

Who doesn't love being the solo queuer matched with a 4-stack vs a 5-stack?

this definitely can't happen because the change is only related to ranked

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder how many of these matchmaking changes that they've implemented every so often are just to make queue time a little more manageable as the playerbase slowly declines...

Any MM change you see is either related to reddit complaining or some kind of Valve data analysis I think. In this case there has been a steady stream of complaints about bad matchmaking for 5stacks on Reddit, with screenshots showing large medal discrepancies between two teams. (interestingly, net change in players per week is almost 0% year over year)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I stopped playing for three years in 2017 and I don't remember queue times ever going beyond five or six minutes. Lately, they routinely do, and if anything, I had slightly higher MMR when I stopped playing.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Queue times are pretty quick out here with the rabble, I dont touch ranked though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm herald trash and it's a surprise if our 5 stack queues for more than 2 minutes

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it all depends on where you queue, at what skill, and what role. There are massive differences in server population worldwide https://stratz.com/players/queue

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

My only wish for matchmaking is less one-sided games but neither ranked or unranked seem to have any impact on that

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've had quite a few good "Who can throw harder" games recently.

Was just playing Legion Commander for the first time in ages and was having a great start and then suddenly the Lich on the other team abandoned 25 minutes into the match :(

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think I've seen a Primal Beast pick in like a month. It disappeared from the meta extremely rapidly after the nerfs.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Woah I forgot that primal beast exists.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My buddy who only plays offline absolutely loves Primal Beast

But he’s Herald and the rest of our group is only Guardian/Crusader so picks against the meta can work in our poo poo tier

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Position 4 zeus is pretty fun, chugging clarities for 20 min and mario hopping away from carries trying to stop you from removing every single enemy ward

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My worst fear came true this weekend.

I was alt tabbed while loading into Hero Select. Tab back in, select & ban Techies... But was a second too late and locked in Techies instead :staredog: Thankfully someone swapped with me.

edit: also this

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 24, 2022

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

New techies is pretty fun and a lot less game ruining as he used to be. Should have played him, imo

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

new techies is boring as gently caress

bring back game ruining techies

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There's clearly only one solution to be had: Give Techies the Iron Talent treatment

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I wish they'd kept remote mines instead of proxy mines honestly

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm fine without an ability that doesn't make scripters horny

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

new techies is boring as gently caress

bring back game ruining techies