Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've posted in the past about the realtor scam that people use, at least in this state, to get houses cheap before they ever show up on the market. At any given time in the US there are 5-10 times the number of licensed realtors compared to houses for sale.

In Pennsylvania, realtors get early access to the MLS and to housing auctions.

The local paper has a section about residents and their houses which is usually just a thinly veiled advertisement before the houses go up for sale.

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/h...es/202207220006

Whoops, turns out she's a realtor.

Wonder how she put that realtor's license to work

It's a great scam if you're fine with loving over everyone around you, I guess.

what's the scam here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lil poopendorfer posted:

what's the scam here

Getting a realtor’s license so you can scour all the good poo poo off the listings before the public can ever see it.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Maybe Im hosed in the head but it bothers me less than things like one realtor legally representing seller & buyer or their compensation structure.

Of course, this led me to check on that antitrust suit filed against National Realtors Association only to find out it got dismissed a few months ago

https://cookcountyrecord.com/storie...ker-commissions

quote:

A federal judge has closed the door on an antitrust class action accusing the National Association of Realtors of illegally leveraging access to its Multiple Listings Service to require sellers to pay buyers' brokers, enacting rules intended to discourage sellers from lowering broker commissions.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody is moving to the communist republics

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Getting a realtor’s license so you can scour all the good poo poo off the listings before the public can ever see it.

uhh its not a scam and no one is forcing the homeowners to sell under market value. she's probably just a cash buyer leveraging her access to listings to be aggressive.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Nothus posted:

The Netherlands is the Texas of Europe. Hungary is Alabama and Poland is Mississippi.

whats the good part of europe to move to. i can technically apply for descendent birthright citizenship for an EU country but its a big paperwork headache. maybe its worth it

Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

uhh its not a scam and no one is forcing the homeowners to sell under market value. she's probably just a cash buyer leveraging her access to listings to be aggressive.

A lot of it is foreclosure auctions and estate sales. It’s absolutely underhanded to acquire a license and buy the good properties up before the general public can see them, and it’s insane that it’s encouraged and legal. It’s one of the factors making it impossible for normal people to buy around here.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You don't have to be a realtor to buy at foreclosure auctions. You don't have to be a realtor to buy anything

Any buyer with actual cash to do deals will have that same access

e: and sellers don't have to accept any offer, early or otherwise

Apr 7, 2003

You do have to have a realtor license to access MLS, where you can buy up properties for your slumlord operation or to flip before the general public ever gets an opportunity to see those properties.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i am harry posted:

it depends on the country and there are really different reqs but there are definitely places in the world that will give you a visa as a “private investor” and I’m pretty sure that just means you’ve got a bunch of money in a bank account

but the key point is that nowhere will let you become a permanent resident without money

i will simply become a permanent resident and then citizen of the great nation of china through my correct ideology and posting, welcoming them with open arms as they peacefully annex america

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i will simply become a permanent resident and then citizen of the great nation of china through my correct ideology and posting, welcoming them with open arms as they peacefully annex america

lol if you’re not already keeping a list of whom to turn in first

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
for god's sake i just want trains

and not those evil holocaust trains either

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Would you settle for a regular evil train.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You do have to have a realtor license to access MLS, where you can buy up properties for your slumlord operation or to flip before the general public ever gets an opportunity to see those properties.

People are just doing that on Zillow and Crexi, it's not a secret

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A lot of it is foreclosure auctions and estate sales. It’s absolutely underhanded to acquire a license and buy the good properties up before the general public can see them, and it’s insane that it’s encouraged and legal. It’s one of the factors making it impossible for normal people to buy around here.

yeah but think about how cute it is that soccer moms have a little test they can study for to get an official job certificate and perhaps allay further financial desperation if they're sufficiently successful

Apr 7, 2003

the white hand posted:

People are just doing that on Zillow and Crexi, it's not a secret

If MLS results were available immediately on Zillow people wouldn’t be getting realtor licenses to access MLS, it gives slumlords/flippers a chance to pick the good properties out before they hit public listings.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I suppose, but my realtor using her lovely web app her brokerage paid for always seemed a step behind compared to me doing searches on zillow, crexi, county property site etc. And any time she sent me a link from it, I could use that to backend search their MLS listings and there didn't seem to be any secret listings in there.

Flippers and slumlords get the good properties by searching all the time and paying with cash, if there are ever early MLS listings to snipe that's dwarfed by that systemic advantage

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
for real one of the dumbest people i knew was a dude who lost his realtor job in 2009 after college

at the time i wondered how successful he was before that, all i saw was that he bought a sportscar with a color-changing paint job

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know if I can get across how basic realtors are at actually finding deals. Their skills are putting the paperwork together in such a way that the house actually belongs to you, and ah, leasing convertibles? idk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh our realtor was a deadeyed shark who ate the seller's lady alive, she later smugly told us that the opposing realtor was the seller's friend from church

we bought for slightly under market and she had the offer in same afternoon it went up, this lady is hypercompetent and clears over a million in fees a year, she highly recommends one of the county clubs here

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Suburban folks loving hate trains. They are expanding Seattle's light rail and before covid it was one of the biggest things my coworkers would complain about. Lmao

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah fair enough mine was good at negotiation too. Not all brokers are equal for that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Suburban folks loving hate trains. They are expanding Seattle's light rail and before covid it was one of the biggest things my coworkers would complain about. Lmao

apparently around 20 years ago this immediate area successfully fought down a bridge that would've gone in crossing the river between the two extant crossings that we're equidistant between (we're adjacent to one of the rivers here). across the river is an area with the big hospital, air force base, and corporate park that employs as many people as downtown

so instead of supporting the growing car traffic and providing a convenient route across the river here it's just a pedestrian/bike bridge. incidentally the community immediately on the other side of the river is significantly less white

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Welcome home!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mila kunis posted:

whats the good part of europe to move to. i can technically apply for descendent birthright citizenship for an EU country but its a big paperwork headache. maybe its worth it

but mila, Ukraine is not in the EU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

the white hand posted:

I suppose, but my realtor using her lovely web app her brokerage paid for always seemed a step behind compared to me doing searches on zillow, crexi, county property site etc. And any time she sent me a link from it, I could use that to backend search their MLS listings and there didn't seem to be any secret listings in there.

Flippers and slumlords get the good properties by searching all the time and paying with cash, if there are ever early MLS listings to snipe that's dwarfed by that systemic advantage

PFC is right in that MLS lists stuff before Zillow, etc but the pros don't really buy off MLS anyways. Cash deal only properties, Foreclosures, tax liens, wholesaling, etc. After a bit you get known as an investor and then realtors and other investors just call you and ask if you wanna buy their property before ever listing it publicly.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

idk about this, the wait list for commuter train station parking spots around here is like 15-20 years. All the houses within walking distance to the train stops command a premium too.

Perhaps folks in the PNW just don't appreciate public trans :sad:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/yurtwallander/status/1550680191714066432

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

lil poopendorfer posted:

idk about this, the wait list for commuter train station parking spots around here is like 15-20 years. All the houses within walking distance to the train stops command a premium too.

there is a LOT of local media news coverage which makes it seem like seattle is a war zone. People who live 20 minutes away and never go into Seattle think that it’s mad max.

accordingly they are terrified that transit means chaos would flood from the city to their lovely suburb because ???

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

It could be. Read up on the Columbia River Crossing if you’re interested. A nearly ten year project that spent $200 million to replace the 100 year old I-5 bridge that was ultimately scuttled because suburbanites in Vancouver were terrified of non-white people from Portland riding the crime train across the river to steal their tvs.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ornery and Hornery posted:

there is a LOT of local media news coverage which makes it seem like seattle is a war zone. People who live 20 minutes away and never go into Seattle think that it’s mad max.

accordingly they are terrified that transit means chaos would flood from the city to their lovely suburb because ???

I have a coworker around my age who loves to talk about the junkies in Seattle. He lives in a nice Kent suburb and he doesn't really leave.

Anyways check this out lmfao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If it's anything like DC/MD/VA's metro they will actually start the construction in 2032 and then run into problems and finally finish it in 2052.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have a coworker around my age who loves to talk about the junkies in Seattle. He lives in a nice Kent suburb and he doesn't really leave.

President Xi, my country yearns for trains

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lol imagine the year 2039

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I work at a company that has an office in seattle. During the orientation zoom for seattle-area new employees, one of the bellevue motherfuckers asked the guy running the orientation, in hushed tones "is it... safe to go to the office?"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

I work at a company that has an office in seattle. During the orientation zoom for seattle-area new employees, one of the bellevue motherfuckers asked the guy running the orientation, in hushed tones "is it... safe to go to the office?"

god gently caress these people they're the ones who see nothing wrong with 3bil to fight climate and 30bil to fight "crime"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The funniest part is that the guy running the orientation was a big time VP, was black, and had already said he lived a few blocks from the office so I'm sure that guy really endeared himself.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

30.5 Days posted:

I thought I was in the covid thread and it took me a second

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1649-Methyl-St_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M40507-17259?ex=2945794752

look at the property history lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pffft. That's tame.

Welcome to western land realty.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Wild-Horse-Dr-San-Luis-CO-81152/2119433899_zpid/

That land isn't worth $5k.