Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Spangly A posted:

I just use beans, a cheap hand grinder, and a £20 press. If I'm feeling fancy I'll crush a cardomon pod or two in there.

If you already like caffeine and the smell of nice coffee then you learn to enjoy the little ritual really fast, freshly ground beans smell amazing to me. You can get 3-4 mugs out of a standard cafetierre and you get a fair few cafetierre's worth if you use an electric grinder so it's not like you need to faff about for every cup

Honestly decent fresh ground beans and a standard drip coffee machine make an extremely delicious pot of hot fresh coffee for the morning with zero effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

i never really got into peas. broccoli i can handle but peas? no. get away. no peas. also uh uk politics uh boy those tories eh? still bad
Tories and falafel are both types of pea dough.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you don't like turkish delight, you probably won't like this.
It's gross.
I tried a tub after a friend wrote a scathing review of it. Sickly sweet and overpowering taste of rose water.
Save your ££££s.

The honey is probably where they went wrong here.

My favourite ice cream flavour of all time is Turkish delight with chocolate chips. Weirdly it seems to be only Welsh ice cream companies that make it.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

Tories and falafel are both types of pea dough.

:golfclap:

Courgette is fine in ratatouille and completely inexplicable out of it.

Oct 4, 2005

Had a weird one today,

Boomer couple in front of me in the checkouts. They were buying three papers, the mail, the Sunday times and (I think) the sun.
The couple were complaining to the checkout girl about how expensive everything was now and they didn't understand why.
When they left, got chatting to checkout girl, turns out this is her second job.

Lot to unpack there, but the thing that sticks with me the most is that they were buying three papers and still didn't have the first clue what was happening around them. Would have been better informed reading the back of a packet of cat litter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Honestly decent fresh ground beans and a standard drip coffee machine make an extremely delicious pot of hot fresh coffee for the morning with zero effort.

I've got a burr grinder and I'm Team Moka Pot. Being fake espresso I can control the strength of my americano and leave the remainder in the pot for another coffee later.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobstar posted:

My go-to setup would be

Baratza Encore electric grinder (or an equivalent quality hand grinder for less money)

Clever Dripper OR Aeropress

Digital scale

Also agreeing with Spangly that the ritual can be nice, and it's nowhere near home espresso levels of crazy. You can go from entering the kitchen to sipping a cup in well under 10 minutes, inc cleanup.
I had an Aeropress before and it was even worse for me ending up with a barely–warm cup.

I think this kind of setup is why I can’t get into ‘good’ coffee, though; in my head I’m comparing it with tea but the amount of gear and variables is closer to cooking a meal. I absolutely despise cooking, I always gently caress it up, no two people can agree on the rules, and I think this is why trying to make proper coffee always stresses me out and leaves me with a depressing lukewarm mug that’s not as good as what a machine spits out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

1965917 posted:

Had a weird one today,

Boomer couple in front of me in the checkouts. They were buying three papers, the mail, the Sunday times and (I think) the sun.
The couple were complaining to the checkout girl about how expensive everything was now and they didn't understand why.
When they left, got chatting to checkout girl, turns out this is her second job.

Lot to unpack there, but the thing that sticks with me the most is that they were buying three papers and still didn't have the first clue what was happening around them. Would have been better informed reading the back of a packet of cat litter.

The ironic thing is the Sunday Times while still partisan does have good journalists on board, so them reading that and still not being aware of the inflation crisis is incredible.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

1965917 posted:

the thing that sticks with me the most is that they were buying three papers and still didn't have the first clue what was happening around them.

1965917 posted:

the mail, the Sunday times and (I think) the sun.

Answered your own question.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kegluneq posted:

:golfclap:

Courgette is fine in ratatouille and completely inexplicable out of it.

The wife made a vegan Cabonara with corgette and Tofu instead of meat.

It was really nice. I'm also fully aware that in Italy it almost certainly couldn't be called a Cabonara because it changed the "traditional" recipe or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

I would quite like to get into 'proper' coffee but all the ways to do it seem to involve spending a huge amount of money on gear and then lots of time grinding beans and other faff. I'm not interested in "the ritual", I just want my coffee!

Just a bag of ground coffee and a cafetiere will do you fine, the only issue is that ground coffee loses its flavour quite quickly, which is why you might want a grinder.

But you don't need any other fancy gear, just a basic glass jug with a plunger and some method of getting fresh ground coffee into it. The fresh ground is really the main thing IMO, that's what makes fancy coffee taste really good.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gort posted:

I also disliked olives for decades before trying them again on a whim and discovering they're good now.

Tastes just change as you age, is all.

Same but also trying actual good olives not the slices in the can mum used to get.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I use pre-ground coffee and a cafetiere and it's good enough for my one cup per day habit.

If I spent a bunch of money on fancy gear I'd feel compelled to drink much more coffee and I don't really want that.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Just a bag of ground coffee and a cafetiere will do you fine, the only issue is that ground coffee loses its flavour quite quickly, which is why you might want a grinder.

But you don't need any other fancy gear, just a basic glass jug with a plunger and some method of getting fresh ground coffee into it. The fresh ground is really the main thing IMO, that's what makes fancy coffee taste really good.

Absolutely. Fresh ground beans are what matter more than anything.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I got a fifty-odd-quid DeLonghi burr grinder from Argos, it works a treat. Not sure why you'd spend £150 quid on the one upthread.

I grind beans on almost the coursest grind, tip it into a cafetière, and pour on nearly-boiling water. It works well every morning. If I want to be fancy I grind the almost-finest grind and put some of that in my Bialetti, but mostly that comes out for dinner parties and then I use decaf because Monmouth will sell you good decaf and I'm An Old Man who can't drink coffee after about 5pm.

For water temp, just pull the kettle off its base when you start to hear it tipping over into the rumbly boiling noise.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jeherrin posted:

For water temp, just pull the kettle off its base when you start to hear it tipping over into the rumbly boiling noise.

I tend to add some 1/3 cold water instead, it works out okay.

But then I don't have a snobby espresso maker either.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

sebzilla posted:

I use pre-ground coffee and a cafetiere and it's good enough for my one cup per day habit.

If I spent a bunch of money on fancy gear I'd feel compelled to drink much more coffee and I don't really want that.
The problem with catetieres is cleaning the fuckers afterwards.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Yep, we got a Russell Hobbs Grind and Brew drip coffee machine for about a hundred euro and it automatically grinds the beans in the morning and makes a banging pot of coffee thats waiting for you when you come into the kitchen. All you need is good beans, and rinsing out the grinder when you add the new beans takes two seconds

Guavanaut posted:

Looking at the spec sheet you have a few options:

That's pretty similar to mine, when my thermostat ate poo poo a few years ago I did diagram C but with a light switch instead of a thermostat. Switch go on, boiler go hot.

It looks as though yours can do OpenTherm too though, so you could wire in a low voltage thermostat like a google nest or what have you

Also while I'm recommending appliances - crispix absolutely get a Nest, it's a game changer for constant comfiness and lower heating bills

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 24, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'll honestly take food chat over the hell spiral we live in that pretends to call itself a nation.

Its me. I am the coffee snob. Import my beans from ethiopia via ebay, fresh grind my beans in a fancy grinder with a ui complex enough to play skyrim, have 6 different coffee machines depending on Italian espresso, cold brew, mocha, arabic, turkish or vietnamese styles. Thermometers, different special milk foaming cups. Etc. Etc.

And now my medication means I can't drink more than half an espresso in a day and only after lunch.

Serves me right.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Most food becomes poo, but only wine and cider becomes vinegar.

Err. Malt vinegar? Hand in your British card and report to the re-education camps, citizen.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

The problem with catetieres is cleaning the fuckers afterwards.

Pull off lid, shove the sieve under the running tap, scrub it a bit with the brush, shove it on the draining board. I confess I only disassemble the drat thing about once a month and it's in daily use. It's... seasoning it?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

feedmegin posted:

Err. Malt vinegar? Hand in your British card and report to the re-education camps, citizen.

Don't forget film! yum

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is always the bripe

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

To the surprise of absolutely nobody https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1551251856579502085

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Jeherrin posted:

Pull off lid, shove the sieve under the running tap, scrub it a bit with the brush, shove it on the draining board. I confess I only disassemble the drat thing about once a month and it's in daily use. It's... seasoning it?
The problem is coffee grinds can block sinks. I'm sure the small amount let over after the rest goes in the bin falls below the critical mass required but I always have the compulsion to get every last grind out before washing. My method now is to fill it up and chuck the water in the garden.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

"The transition into a privatized health system happened so gradually we barely noticed!"

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Drinkslinger posted:

Caramac is dogshit.

There are no words to express my utter disdain.

Also the best use for courgette is to bake it into cupcakes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

True, although they do that straight from grain rather than taking some portion of wine or cider that would otherwise be for drinking. I bet the pre-vinegar malt liquor isn't very nice.

OwlFancier posted:

There is always the bripe
"You can't bripe in metric" is why brexit happened.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Angepain posted:

i never really got into peas.

Can't imagine a life without peas.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Give peas a chance`

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Visualize whirled peas

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

quote:

Rising public dissatisfaction with the health service and patients’ unprecedented waits for GP care, ambulances and routine operations mean ministers need to urgently instigate a review of how the NHS is funded, which should include the creation of “co-payments” for some services.

Smith, the former chair of the East Kent acute hospital trust, has set out his ideas in a new book published by the thinktank RadixUK. Its trustees include the ex-Conservative health secretary Andrew Lansley and the Labour MP Stephen Kinnock.

Just cool guys with good ideas all the way down.

Copay is an absolute nightmare word for anyone who's had US health insurance experience.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TACD posted:

I had an Aeropress before and it was even worse for me ending up with a barely–warm cup.

I think this kind of setup is why I can’t get into ‘good’ coffee, though; in my head I’m comparing it with tea but the amount of gear and variables is closer to cooking a meal. I absolutely despise cooking, I always gently caress it up, no two people can agree on the rules, and I think this is why trying to make proper coffee always stresses me out and leaves me with a depressing lukewarm mug that’s not as good as what a machine spits out.

Just bung it in the microwave if it goes cold.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

crispix posted:

i just need to know if it needs a thermostat. i've bought a place and it has boiler but no thermostat :confused:

gas heating is new to me

It doesn't *need* a thermostat, it'll just work constantly on it's own stat with no regard to how hot the house is if it hasn't got one.
It's relatively simple to wire one in - go for a wireless, programmable room stat. On the main board, there will be a place to wire this in, it'll currently have a metal "U" piece bridging it out - take this out and wire in the in and out to the new stat. Anything other than a dumb 'stat will also need power, which you can take from the Live and Neutral terminals on the same main board.

If you want proper advice, I have DMs (I was a breakdown guy for British Gas, and had the same boiler-with-no-roomstat thing when I moved into my current place)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TACD posted:

Something was going wrong there then, with an Aeropress you're drinking the coffee a couple minutes after pouring the hot water. It should still be plenty hot.

Dead Goon posted:

I don't particularly care for courgette.

You can make a pretty nice cake with courgette! I don't like them that much normally but I've had an amazing courgette chocolate cake.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

2 spoons of options hot chocolate and mixing the coffee with 70% milk will make even instant coffee delicious.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Here in Ireland we are charged 800 euros a day if you are in a public ward, 1000 euros in a private room.
Which our health insurance takes care of.
So good luck with that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I found this graphic while looking to see which countries call baby marrows courgettes and which call them zucchinis.

I want to print a bunch off and hand them out to the JWs and other people that persist in giving me vague flyers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Don't worry it won't be that bad by the time it gets turned into policy.

Pensioners will be exempt from hospital fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My friend has the repulsed-by-cucumbers gene which is apparently a known thing and will also protect them from being surprised by American brown snakes?

Aeropresses rule