Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet it'll end up being walked back to "only obese and smokers pay" because they're popular groups to poo poo on even though they actually save the NHS money in aggregate.

e: 214 is the Dewey Decimal Classification for Theodicy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
It’s catch-22. The NHS needs vast reform, but doing so is political dynamite. It’s hardly surprising the only thing the public can stomach is slow privatisation, because a political party coming in and going ‘we need to radically reshape the NHS over a ten year period’ would be completely unpalatable, and impossible anyway because of the intellectual skills drain so they’d just end up hiring management cunstultants who’d bankrupt the entire project.

The Nash aside, what the gently caress is going on with all the 2012 Olympics flags gagging all of a sudden? Did I miss a memo?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chubby Henparty posted:

My friend has the repulsed-by-cucumbers gene which is apparently a known thing and will also protect them from being surprised by American brown snakes?

Aeropresses rule

It's real. Cucumbers are loving sickening. The smell makes me feel sick. My aunt agrees.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jeherrin posted:

The Nash aside, what the gently caress is going on with all the 2012 Olympics flags gagging all of a sudden? Did I miss a memo?

10 years ago innit

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Convex posted:

10 years ago innit

Six months ago the Graun was moaning about how the legacy of the Olympic park was one of total failure, and yesterday there’s an article that’s clearly a breathless fanfic written onehanded about it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Are you talking about the dried shredded leaves, or the light brown powder? Because the powder is dried coriander seed, which has a completely different flavour and usage

The dried leaf is good, fresh leaf is bad and never had issues with the seeds at all.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chubby Henparty posted:

My friend has the repulsed-by-cucumbers gene which is apparently a known thing and will also protect them from being surprised by American brown snakes?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

The wife made a vegan Cabonara with corgette and Tofu instead of meat.

It was really nice. I'm also fully aware that in Italy it almost certainly couldn't be called a Cabonara because it changed the "traditional" recipe or something.

It's not even about tradition, which is just the tyranny of dead men, gently caress them all. Most of them had bland palates after a lifetime of considering salt a luxury.

You certainly ate a meal, made out of some ingredients, but there are infinite possible new names for it.

People make fun of Italians for this but if someone asked if you wanted a Full English, and then they served you some Quorn on Toast, even if you enjoyed it you wouldn't consider that to be a Full English. Because it's not. It's not what those words mean.

If material conditions as a whole meant people started substituting those ingredients in, then sure, the meaning of Carbonara has changed, perhaps over a generation or two. But it's just your wife.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 24, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When she herself is made of carbonara.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
let she who is not made of carbonara cast the first egg

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

RockyB posted:

There are no words to express my utter disdain.

Also the best use for courgette is to bake it into cupcakes.

The best thing to do with a courgette is to throw it straight into the bin

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think you could have a Full VEnGlish though and the spirit of the meal would be conveyed and ultimately enjoyed without resentment.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

When she herself is made of carbonara.

Jeremy Carbonara is so antisemitic that he's non-kosher himself.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mebh posted:

Now i want Knafeh. Possibly the greatest dessert ever made.

Molten salty mozzarella cheese with spun pastry ontop soaked in sugar/rosewater syrup with pistachios. Unf.

Like a millon calories.

Few pages late but yes this stuff is godly. I had some last week at a good Turkish restaurant, can recommend.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Tried a vegan pizza from Domino's two nights ago.
A Pepperoni one which they call 'PepperoNAY'
Mildly flavoured thick cardboard.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

Jeremy Carbonara is so antisemitic that he's non-kosher himself.
Vegan carbonara would be about the only way that you could make carbonara kosher.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kecske posted:

whatever you do, dont

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

domhal posted:

Just cool guys with good ideas all the way down.

Copay is an absolute nightmare word for anyone who's had US health insurance experience.

I like the tax breaks for the rich if they use private healthcare idea in the article, because of course they're already using private healthcare if they're rich, but they're rich so they don't need a tax break to make their lives even easier.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I know it's kinda mean to the cat but god this gif makes me giggle. yeeting itself out of frame like that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

I know it's kinda mean to the cat but god this gif makes me giggle. yeeting itself out of frame like that

It's just further evidence that cats view the laws of physics more like guidelines

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

Vegan carbonara would be about the only way that you could make carbonara kosher.

Vegemy Carbonara

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nenonen posted:

Vegemy Carbonara

That doesn't sound very kosher

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some trending topic on twitter is saying "Corbyn's allies are urging him to run for London Mayor". Is this remotely true?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Dabir posted:

Some trending topic on twitter is saying "Corbyn's allies are urging him to run for London Mayor". Is this remotely true?

I think allies means the wet bits of the labour party

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also while I'm recommending appliances - crispix absolutely get a Nest, it's a game changer for constant comfiness and lower heating bills

Nest? That's the Internet of poo poo thing?

Wouldn't recommend any kind of "smart" appliance like that to anyone tbh

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Few pages late but yes this stuff is godly. I had some last week at a good Turkish restaurant, can recommend.

Sorry guys, this is a warcrime description. Knafeh is not knafeh if it's made with Mozzarella or chedder or some poo poo. Got to be Nablusi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabulsi_cheese

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Tried a vegan pizza from Domino's two nights ago.
A Pepperoni one which they call 'PepperoNAY'
Mildly flavoured thick cardboard.

you ate the box you wally

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jaete posted:

Nest? That's the Internet of poo poo thing?

Wouldn't recommend any kind of "smart" appliance like that to anyone tbh

Ok cool, I would tho

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Noxville posted:

The best thing to do with a courgette is to throw it straight into the bin
can’t believe e i just learned the french word for “noxvilles posts”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah proper luddite nonsense that

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Dabir posted:

Terrible idea. Given that Khan is fairly centrist but has been consistently hosed over by Tory funding because he had the audacity to be a reddish mayor in a blue city, Corbyn would be a fool to even consider it. He’d stand a chance of getting in and then would have his funding cut so catastrophically that it would be an unmitigated disaster as he tried to run TFL on two dried apricots and a mouldy fig (which Truss would say was pure communist profligacy).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jeherrin posted:

Terrible idea. Given that Khan is fairly centrist but has been consistently hosed over by Tory funding because he had the audacity to be a reddish mayor in a blue city, Corbyn would be a fool to even consider it. He’d stand a chance of getting in and then would have his funding cut so catastrophically that it would be an unmitigated disaster as he tried to run TFL on two dried apricots and a mouldy fig (which Truss would say was pure communist profligacy).

Yeah I agree. He shouldn't do it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Beefy steps up to the wicket about 6 months too late…

https://twitter.com/BeefyBotham/status/1551110360450703362

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah proper luddite nonsense that

"Smart" devices are computers that don't get treated like computers, not just by the users but especially by the manufacturers. They just sit there like a loving piece of furniture that doesn't need updating or maintenence. You can trivially use an android phone to open a terminal and gain root and just do whatever the gently caress you want on that person's entire network. Samsung TVs are notorious for this.

If that's luddite now then I'd hate to find out what you tech-savvy people are doing.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 24, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the luddites were right. The machines they destroyed were being used to make their lives worse.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Also the luddites were right.

I'm not qualified to draw the line, but it is perhaps closer to "return to monkey" than it is to "replace the entire biosphere with concrete misery".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like specifically the luddites were people who thought that industrialization was taking away their means of making a living and forcing them into worse jobs for worse wages while the factory owners reaped all of the benefits, which is 100% indisputably correct, a material fact. And a process which was explicitly encouraged by the government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

So it is always funny to me that people persist in using the term to describe something that is in some way wrong.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

unless youve got like your own butler or something, using smart devices to make your home life easier/better is not the same as crossing the luddite picket line.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My smart tv's gone from showing banners for love island and other stuff I'll never watch on the home screen, to straight up 'click here to see an ad from Apple'. Don't make me do something to do with DNS and piholes on my tv argh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

unless youve got like your own butler or something, using smart devices to make your home life easier/better is not the same as crossing the luddite picket line.

You could get stux-netted like an Iranian nuclear plant.

Imagine someone getting control of the thermostat and maxing it out in 40-degree heat.