Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
yeah, incalculable harm caused by undermining scientific values and trust due to coercive pressure from capitalism

you know, in the comedy thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Thesaurus posted:

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1550576374498353152?s=19

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1550576644565393409?s=19

The best letters are those demanding that they be compensated IN KIND so that they don't lose out on the sick gains of their "pristine" cryptos

passing on my crypto wallet to my children

Bequeathed Wallet Mismanagement

an iksar marauder posted:

Cumshitter was unjustly permad by the bitchmade mods yeah

free cumshitter

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

as an early modern thing science depends upon basically 1700s-style "a peeps word is their bond" sorta reputation. works fine in fields of 100 peeps or whatever, where if they pull poo poo like this they're persona non grata, but alzheimers is one of the most significant diseases and alzheimer-studying is like tens of thousands of peeps

but in turn decisions on peeps bein persona non grata have been catastrophically wrong before, which is why they do it all 1700s-gentleman-style instead of something coherent and modern and bureaucratic

As we learned the past 5-6 years, the US government and Constitution is seemingly reliant on similar assumptions of “a good man’s honor and they shall not disturb these norms”

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hahahaha.

Replicating studies doesn’t get you publications or grant money, which is why nobody does it. Bad With Medicine.

Yup it comes down to this. The first person to publish ground breaking research gets published in Nature/Science and makes a career around it. No one cares about the second guy to do it.

The staggering thing about this is that according to that article, 200M+ in NIH funding this year went to research grants based on this assumption. Now multiply that by 15 years. Now add in all of the pharma funding/research that went on to this. All of the drug trials. It’s absolutely bonkers.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

hypnophant posted:

There are already consequences for fraud in the sciences.

Hardly. Go check out Elizabeth Bik's Twitter feed for an ongoing deluge of clearly photoshopped results. All those people will get away, most without even a slap on the wrist, with the most severe punishment a journal can mete out being an expression of concern or a retraction (extremely rare). In the meantime real harm is done. People like that deserve to be unemployable outside of research as well.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

If the left ever ends up in power, they'll do it too.

Good

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

People like that deserve to be unemployable outside of research as well.

what they deserve is beside the point. No enforcement mechanism is going to be effective when discovering fraud takes over a decade or never happens at all, no matter how harsh you make the punishments.

This is tough on crime thinking - if the punishments in place aren’t enough of a deterrent, just make the fines larger, sentences longer, punishments harsher. Anything to avoid having to reform the system everyone acknowledges is broken.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The people advocating for such increased consequences are not advocating for them alone. And the lack of consequences are entwined with other perverse incentives and power structures. Kevin Hall spent a tremendous amount of money to put out a deliberately misleading study based on openly invalid methods; he's now a section chief at NIDDK.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

https://www.science.org/content/article/potential-fabrication-research-images-threatens-key-theory-alzheimers-disease

So uh, basically the last 15 years (and billions of dollars) or so of research on Alzheimers have been based on fraud.

I don't know anything about Alzheimers but this seems like an important point (from Elizabeth Bik's twitter)

https://twitter.com/samuel_marsh/status/1550883405105168386

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the basic difficult part is that every amyloid drug has failed. all of em. so there has got to be a fuckup somewhere and everyone knows there has to be one. you just have the decade-long argument about wheres the fuckup

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

If you follow the opposite of my trades you will be a millionaire in no time. posted:

HOW is it possible that I've gone over 50% loss on over 90% of my trades this year. I honestly think I'm being watched like I'm on the Truman Show and my life is a big joke. It's insane. None of my trades are options. These are common shares. I've lost a fortune on mega cap stocks, micro cap, energy plays, financial, tech, discretionary, Buffet plays, value, meme stocks, short squeeze plays, momentum, earnings, technical plays, shorting SPY and QQQ, contrarian, etc. Even followed a lot of trade ideas traders and they've all been losers. I'm not kidding. I've lost over $1000 every single day this entire month.... consecutively.. no green days. My entire portfolio right now is down ON AVERAGE 30%. Some positions down 75%. My best position is AMZN and that's down 25%. Again, these are not options. These are shares. It's ridiculous. I am the anti-market. 10 years of savings gone in a month. I'm on the verge of suicide again, but if anyone wants to get rich I am the ultimate indicator. Seriously, I will post my trades. At least someone else can get rich. I believe I'm cursed but it would make me happy to make others bank. There's no indicator in the world that can beat my 90% track record.

the OP posted:

You don't understand. I've lost a fortune on SHORTING the markets too. Literally 20 or 30 times I've gone short the markets have rallied. Every. Single. Time. I don't know how it's still possible I've lost a on over 900 out of nearly 1000 trades.

quote:

Lol Friday investments were FAZE, META, COLM, WFC, SNDR, and TRHC. If you want to go opposite of me I went long those. Otherwise enjoy the show. They are not swing plays. Just adding positions and writing calls against.

quote:

Not even day trading. A lot of positions I've been holding nearly 2 years even and they're still way way way down. Some companies got delisted.

quote:

So far in my 403b my account is returning less than inflation over 10 years. So not even ideal really.

quote:

Buddhism has always spoke to me. Thanks friend.

edit:
I missed this comment from other threads in r/stocks

quote:

I inherited $200,000 this year. I invested in companies like FB, AMZN, AAPL, but mostly index funds. Pretty much was ready to retire in my 50's. After this year, I may never retire. One more red day as we enter a bear market and I'm just gonna loving kill myself.

Vice President fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 24, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Discendo Vox posted:

The people advocating for such increased consequences are not advocating for them alone. And the lack of consequences are entwined with other perverse incentives and power structures. Kevin Hall spent a tremendous amount of money to put out a deliberately misleading study based on openly invalid methods; he's now a section chief at NIDDK.

But if you just advocate for structural changes you can be smug and know that ultimately nothing will ever change it’s the best of both worlds!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

I don't know anything about Alzheimers but this seems like an important point (from Elizabeth Bik's twitter)

In 2019 a Stat+ article discussed the Alzheimer’s ‘cabal’ which had more or less shut down alternative investigations in the disease while failing to produce results. I didn’t know how to evaluate its claims because making a jump from one knowledge system (science) to make claims about it in another less rigorous knowledge system (journalism) is a dangerous move. But if a knowledge system has failed, you HAVE to jump to a different system.

I don’t know enough about who this person is to evaluate their twitter thread which is very long and authoritatively voiced. But given that the situation is that the current main line of thinking hasn’t gotten us much in the way of results, and there turns out to have been some fraud along the way, someone’s first response being “oh the fraud didn’t matter much” sets off alarm bells.

Meanwhile, my grandmother died with Alzheimer’s and my mother recently told me that she can tell her memory is going. So whatever’s going on, I hope they get their acts together and I hope anyone who drained dollars and time away from legit science loses everything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the most severe punishment a journal can mete out being an expression of concern or a retraction (extremely rare). In the meantime real harm is done. People like that deserve to be unemployable outside of research as well.

How long did it take for the journal the published the infamous vaccine/autism bullshit to retract it? As I recall it was YEARS and obviously that damage has been done and continues on today.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Tis better that society suffer the death and discourse from 100 fraudulent medical research publications than 1 innocent Doctor have to back up their claims under scrutiny. :patriot:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpartanIvy posted:

Tis better that society suffer the death and discourse from 100 fraudulent medical research publications than 1 innocent Doctor have to back up their claims under scrutiny. :patriot:

Wait until you hear how much those paper reviewers get paid!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Wait until you hear how much those paper reviewers get paid!

Back when I was in publishable science (I’m in engineering now, applied stuff isn’t sexy), the other scientists and I would try to guess whether the review comments were from the actual reviewer or if they’d been pawned off to grad students to read on his behalf.

Guessing “the actual reviewer” was seldom a winning answer. They almost all ended up being grad student delegates. The unpaid reviewers don’t even do the reviews, but pass them to even less-qualified/interested people.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Motronic posted:

How long did it take for the journal the published the infamous vaccine/autism bullshit to retract it? As I recall it was YEARS and obviously that damage has been done and continues on today.

Published 1998, fully retracted in 2010, with some smaller retractions of co-authors in between. He got pretty much every academic punishment you can think of (pulled titles, pulled papers, being unpersoned), but obviously that's where it ends.

An infamous fraudster in my country was sentenced to 120 hours of community service, which he appealed and got thrown out, for faking 58 papers and derailing dozens of careers. He now does industry consulting

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

He got pretty much every academic punishment you can think of (pulled titles, pulled papers, being unpersoned), but obviously that's where it ends.

He lives in a 8 bedroom mansion in California with one of the OG 1990s supermodels.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah I by no means know anything about Alzheimer’s, and claims like this could only be evaluated by Alzheimer’s researchers who were around in the 2000s when this research was published. For what it’s worth, he’s an Alzheimer’s researcher in a closely related area, so he may be right, or he may just be trying to deal with the fact that his current area of study is in jeopardy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

I've paid almost $19k on my car and the payoff amount has only gone down $400

Since September 2018, I've made 43 payments of $433.20 which comes to $18,627.60. In September 2018, my payoff amount was $14,529.70. Today my payoff amount is $14,174.38. Is this legal??

I've been seeing people talk about consumer laws and USC numbers and such. I'm going to look into it some more. This just seems ridiculous tho! I live in Missouri. And to top it all off, i'm a little behind in my payments and they're looking to repo my car.

quote:

quote:

What is your interest rate

28% i believe.

quote:

quote:

I don't have an amortization calculator handy, but that interest rate kinda explains why you haven't made much progress on your loan. What was your loan term?

60 months I believe.

quote:

It’s a joke in the military fresh boots out of school checking into their unit, buying a Mustang with double digit APR starting in 2.

I’ve walked 18 year old boots from bumfuck Alabama with zero payment history through the basics of a applying for an auto loan on USAA, NavFed or whatever bank they’re using. It’s not even close to that high lol.

quote:

quote:

What did the total cost say on the documents you signed?

I don't know. The car was $14500 and I don't see why interest rate should raise the price so much.

quote:

quote:

What was the initial amount of the loan and what's the length of the loan?

60 months I believe. The car originally wasn't over $14500.

quote:

Look at your loan docs. What was the interest rate? Have you made every payment on time (not within the grace period but before the actual due date stated on the note). What was the original amount borrowed? Interest is calculated/charged daily and is always paid first. Take the interest rate divide by 365 than multiply by the principal balance after the last payment and then multiply by the number of days since you made your last payment. That is the interest due and is deducted first from the loan payment you send in.

Another post by the same OP where they give out financial advice:

quote:

Need extra cash so your can feed your family and buy gas to get to work?

QUIT PAYING YOUR RENT!

Every household in America needs to not pay another dime towards rent or mortgage. That instantly puts an extra $700-$4000+ in your pocket per month. How long would it take to evict 120 MILLION families? They wanna gently caress around? Lets gently caress around then.

Use that cash to stock up on food, water, supplies, whatever. Go visit your family your haven't seen in forever. Buy yourself something you've been wanting for a while. Do whatever your want with it. Everyone needs to get on board with this. gently caress these people. At least have some fun before it all turns to total poo poo. Right?

Edit: I said EVERY household needs to do this.... your know, in a united way.

Edit 2: Or not. I don't give a gently caress. No one else is coming up with any other ideas. Clearly, most people are here just to bitch. They don't want to actually do anything about it.

Edit 3: All you people who are against doing anything other than what you're told to do: your are part of the problem and deserve everything coming to you. Thanks for helping gently caress us all over. Ugh.

Edit 4: You guys, THIS WOULDN'T BE FOREVER. Just until they do what we want. You do know that you're going to eventually have to get off your rear end and get uncomfortable, right?? WE can either do it on our terms or on theirs and I guarantee their way will be 1000 times shittier. This isn't about "stealing" from your loving landlord, Jeezus Christ. gently caress. Get it together people. Think.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

sad dude posted:

I inherited $200,000 this year. I invested in companies like FB, AMZN, AAPL, but mostly index funds. Pretty much was ready to retire in my 50's. After this year, I may never retire. One more red day as we enter a bear market and I'm just gonna loving kill myself.

Yikes!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
a nationwide rent strike would be impractical to ever organize but very epic

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

learnincurve posted:

He lives in a 8 bedroom mansion in California with one of the OG 1990s supermodels.

Yeah but he can't put dr. in front of his name anymore, so who's the real loser here

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Putting an inheritance into tech stocks and index funds is better with money than 99% of the posts in this thread. Really bad timing for that guy, though.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tesla sold most of their bitcoins at a 58% loss and stopped taking bitcoins as payment.

https://twitter.com/conorsen/status/1549848674418794498

Thank you for this post. It got me off my rear end to sell the little bit of TSLA I had in the "play money" portion of my portfolio before the Twitter lawsuit business causes a potential reckoning and dumping of Tesla stock in a couple months. It received a nice bump with that news which definitely reduced my total losses on that one quite a bit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpelledBackwards posted:

Thank you for this post. It got me off my rear end to sell the little bit of TSLA I had in the "play money" portion of my portfolio before the Twitter lawsuit business causes a potential reckoning and dumping of Tesla stock in a couple months. It received a nice bump with that news which definitely reduced my total losses on that one quite a bit.

I think this thread has a rule about self posting, but drat if this isn't thread appropriate.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah but he can't put dr. in front of his name anymore, so who's the real loser here

He was struck off by the GMC but that doesn't remove his medical degree.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also he arguably invented the "I was cancelled for saying the truth" media tour and has made being struck off into his entire professional identity.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

knox_harrington posted:

He was struck off by the GMC but that doesn't remove his medical degree.

You're right, I had him and another guy who actually got his doctorate (but not his MD) pulled confused.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah, before reading this, I had read the supervising UMN researcher’s response, and it was along much the same lines, and it sounded pretty persuasive to me.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What kind of affect would a successful Alzheimer’s drug have on one of the massive legacy pharma companies?

I know for one of the new, tiny ones, it could be a moonshot, but what if one of the big ones had a successful Alzheimer’s drug get FDA clearance?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Business as usual.

Like the whole point of big pharma research is to try a whole bunch of stuff, lose money on most of it since it doesn't work or there are complications, and make absolute bank off the few things that do actually do what you wanted them to.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cacafuego posted:

What kind of affect would a successful Alzheimer’s drug have on one of the massive legacy pharma companies?

I know for one of the new, tiny ones, it could be a moonshot, but what if one of the big ones had a successful Alzheimer’s drug get FDA clearance?

It would be huge. 10% of people over 65 have it, 5.5 million people in the US. A company would charge $50k a year (conservatively)... yeah huge.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Cacafuego posted:

Even if it's just one of a number of irons in the fire for the company as a whole, an individual division of a pharmaceutical company and especially its leadership can make their careers off a successful drug.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

It would be phenomenal amounts of money. The first of the big pharma companies I worked for spent literally $1.25B in a single year for the chance at it, acquiring a drug from a startup / developing it / doing Phase III studies, and the drug ended up doing nothing at all. They were so desperate for it to work that they sunk another $2B into it over the next two years before finally giving up.

It'd be a Lipitor-level boon in terms of sheer $$$.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sundae posted:

It would be phenomenal amounts of money. The first of the big pharma companies I worked for spent literally $1.25B in a single year for the chance at it, acquiring a drug from a startup / developing it / doing Phase III studies, and the drug ended up doing nothing at all. They were so desperate for it to work that they sunk another $2B into it over the next two years before finally giving up.

Tell your job I got a line on some really hot NFT stonks and I am open to new angel investors.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sundae posted:

...and on top of that, it would be one of those things that actually generates real value and would thus be worth the cost. Letting millions of people who would otherwise be mentally incapacitated be active members of society would be huge. Like, something that would reverberate through the culture on the same level as the birth control pill.

Another post by the same OP where they give out financial advice:

I've got a buddy who learned about the concept of a general strike when some folks were arguing for it during COVID, and has basically turned it into his personal eschatology. Everything that is wrong with the world will be fixed once we can make the general strike happen, because then "they" will have to accept our demands. These demands, as far as I can tell, are 1) make things suck less, and 2) reverse all of the consequences of the poor financial decisions that he, personally, has made.

And honestly, I sympathize with him to some degree. He made some really bad decisions (some bad because they weren't thought out well, some bad purely because of bad luck) and has had a hard time of it. Unfortunately, now that he can dream about how the general strike would fix everything, it's given him another excuse to put off doing the necessary work to fix his situation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Even just disregarding the feasibility, etc. of a national rent/mortgage strike, it's just funny that someone is advertising "don't pay your housing costs" as a neat financial trick with the title "Need extra cash?"

And that the person giving that advice has a 28% APR car loan and doesn't know why they are paying higher than the sticker price for the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Even just disregarding the feasibility, etc. of a national rent/mortgage strike, it's just funny that someone is advertising "don't pay your housing costs" as a neat financial trick with the title "Need extra cash?"

And that the person giving that advice has a 28% APR car loan and doesn't know why they are paying higher than the sticker price for the car.

I don't think I have any credit cards with 28% as it stands right now outside the store cards that I pay off before promo pricing hits.