Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hi thread, I'm coming here hoping for some advice. I just got a couple really nice POS computers and I'm really impressed, I got them for really cheap. But they have Windows NT 6.4 installed. I'm seeing the manufacturer has released drivers for Windows 10, I'm wondering if anybody has any relevant experience with these, should I install 10 on them and alternatively, should I bother replacing the NT OS? Since these were nearly free, I want to take advantage of them for doing art, and install Painter on one, I'm so psyched to have a touchscreen for the first time. Here, it displays some info on the main screen RN:

ED: NT 6.2

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Koskun posted:

Then get a USB thumb drive, grab the Win10 ISO from Microsoft, use Rufus to make a boot drive, and get to re-installing.

In my experience, you download the Media Creation Tool from MS and it reformats whatever flash drive you point it towards. No need for Rufus. Unless that's a recommended extra step for a PC with a known rootkit (or whatever this is) infection? Can those types of malware hijack and infect the MCT process?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

petit choux posted:

I want to take advantage of them for doing art, and install Painter on one

I have no idea about putting 10 on them, but most POS terminals are not going to have sophisticated touchscreens that do multi-touch or pressure sensitivity or anything else art-caliber. That may be fine since you got them for free and aren't expecting too much.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Just for clarification, NT 6.2 is windows 8 and server 2012; NT as a product brand hasn't been a thing for a while.

E: windows 8.0, even - 8.1 is apparently 6.3

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

From the look of the taskbar/icons that's already windows 10 on there though. Windows 8 looked distinctly different.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You can find out what version of Windows is on there by running winver either from the start menu search or the run box.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Computer viking posted:

Just for clarification, NT 6.2 is windows 8 and server 2012; NT as a product brand hasn't been a thing for a while.

E: windows 8.0, even - 8.1 is apparently 6.3

Klyith posted:

I have no idea about putting 10 on them, but most POS terminals are not going to have sophisticated touchscreens that do multi-touch or pressure sensitivity or anything else art-caliber. That may be fine since you got them for free and aren't expecting too much.

I can check on the pressure sensitivity again, but I'm only using MS Paint to try it out RN. And I was so pleasantly surprised when I ran my hand across the screen and each finger drew a line. I was not expecting such a good machine. These really appear to be kind of meant to be multipurpose computers that have been modded for POS, just way more power than necessary.

Geemer posted:

You can find out what version of Windows is on there by running winver either from the start menu search or the run box.

Okay, let's plug one back in -- Win 10! OMG, what a hoot. They were courteous enough to leave the password off when they donated them too.

And looking into the driver software, there is no pressure sensitivity, which I hadn't observed till now. Okay, but it still tracks pretty good on my hand and I can imagine using for some techniques.

Also was considering attaching a high quality USB sound card and making one or both into dedicated DAWs/noisemakers.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

karoshi posted:

WizTree is much faster, but not open source.

as someone that is dreading the event report of sicko levels of disk space usage, it seems you support my continued use of WinDirTree :unsmith:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Thanks for the assistance, I'm back up and running now. Took my time but the actual install and setting up was easy, hardest part was being sure about what I could wipe. It's a good exercise to have gone through in any case, I think.

One question - I can make a restore point now that I know is clean, but if an infection happens later on can that get into the recovery files?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

One question - I can make a restore point now that I know is clean, but if an infection happens later on can that get into the recovery files?

If I had a PC with a definite infection I would not trust restore points.

A full disk image would work though, using macrium reflect or other imaging software.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Windows restore points are for fixing issues caused by bad driver or software installs/changes, not cleaning up malicious infections.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Windows restore points are for fixing issues caused by bad driver or software installs/changes, not cleaning up malicious infections.

They can help as well. Do both things.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
That makes sense, having the install USB and chipset drivers/other utils USB anyways covers that pretty well.

Final question - I spent years clicking through UAC prompts before finally just disabling them on this PC when I set it up for the first time a few months ago. I can't seem to correlate this infection with anything in particular (as far as downloading or installing anything goes). Is there any chance that would have saved me or probably not?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Don't loving disable UAC!

AAAAAÀAAA

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't loving disable UAC!

AAAAAÀAAA

Not my problem

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thread title strikes again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hot_chicks.gif.exe is requesting administrator access.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

Final question - I spent years clicking through UAC prompts before finally just disabling them on this PC when I set it up for the first time a few months ago. I can't seem to correlate this infection with anything in particular (as far as downloading or installing anything goes). Is there any chance that would have saved me or probably not?

So TBQH I have no idea what the heck was going on with your system or if you even were malware infected -- the thing that defender caught is extremely generic and has no description on MS's site. The other company that uses the same nomenclature is Trend Micro, and their examples of "Trojan.HTML.PHISH.whatever" are passive phishing files. Not really an active trojan that was hacking yur gibson.

Like, I'd be concerned if that showed up in a defender scan. It could be a sign of something worse that defender *can't* see, or could be an old email attachment. Who knows. Combined with the other weirdness, a pave & reinstall seemed like the safe option.

That all said, don't disable UAC. Defender isn't reliable security without UAC to protect from system changes.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oh, thank you, everybody, I'm not able to proceed with these things at the moment but I'm pretty excited about them. Cheesr.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Heads up, I found a weird edge case.

If you're like me and you switch back and forth between two+ languages, and use Remote Desktop, KB5015807 breaks the language taskbar. At some point the highlighted parts will just disappear and it's not possible to fully force them to stick again (as per this support article).

Uninstalling the KB fixes the issue, making it the first KB in years and years that I've had to do so for (as a non-admin). At least they're aware of it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Well it [UAC] is on again now... the thing is I've never, ever, ever see it prompt me for anything except when I actually wanted something to do something. Like it's never prevented something from happening when I didn't know something was happening. And I had it on all the time in Windows 7 too. Well over a decade of clicking through UAC prompts and never once having it pop up on something I wanted to deny.

Klyith posted:

So TBQH I have no idea what the heck was going on with your system or if you even were malware infected

For a few days I'd been noticing some strangeness that could be chalked up to cosmic rays or whatever - mouse stuttering and weird hitching but not too bad, no real performance problems. When I went to shut down there was an untitled program with a default icon preventing shutdown until I forced it. The night before, the screen was disconnecting and re-connecting every so often. The next morning I was having those issues where after startup (and repeated after restarting) I could launch things from the desktop but not interact with windows or the start menu; after pressing ctrl-alt-del and escaping out of it I was able to use the computer normally. A quick Defender scan showed nothing but a full scan showed that trojan on a file I got from BitTorrent - but the torrent itself was over a decade old, the file itself had been downloaded since my previous computer, and the virus didn't exist when the torrent was created. So I figured it must have spread to there from something else. When I unplugged my ethernet cable I started getting frequent USB connection/disconnection noises; when I was messing around setting up a filter in Event Viewer to try to see what was causing it, I noticed almost constant accesses to the Windows Credential Manager (like dozens every few minutes) starting 3 days prior out of nowhere. Looking at the details I saw it was looking up my Microsoft user account (fortunately not really existing) and my BitWarden master key (not so great). I had already reset that master password and was working through my others; fortunately one of the benefits of 2-factor auth is I'm certain nothing was accessed without my knowing about it. These events continued even after Defender was no longer finding any issues after disabling Restore and restarting multiple times etc. When I scanned my external HDs with my laptop, they did find a few other trojans scattered around. In any case this was a good recovery exercise but I'm still not sure what exactly happened.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 23, 2022

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I've only ever seen my seatbelt lock up when I've braked really hard all of a sudden. I've never, ever had it lock up except when I actually wanted to stop in a hurry for fun. It's never locked up when I didn't know I was stopping. I should be fine to just remove my seatbelts, right?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The time it takes you to click through UAC prompts is less than the time you spend cleaning up infections because you turned off UAC.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the analogy i would use is, you spend a lot of time unlocking your door too

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
People like that Andrew Zarian bloke probably recommend turning off UAC. I haven't listened to his Windows podcast in years but he kept talking about turning off the Windows Desktop Manager or whatever it is that hardware accelerates the UI. Madness.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’m sure there was some reason for it but when UAC was first implemented, it popped up constantly. Which was not good, it basically trained users to automatically click through warnings without reading them. Kind of like alarm fatigue in hospitals where they register as white noise to nurses if there are too many

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fruits of the sea posted:

I’m sure there was some reason for it but when UAC was first implemented, it popped up constantly. Which was not good, it basically trained users to automatically click through warnings without reading them. Kind of like alarm fatigue in hospitals where they register as white noise to nurses if there are too many

I remember this. It would go off if you wanted to like.. change your wallpaper. Wasn’t it a Vista thing?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

It was designed to annoy you. Apparently the idea was that if users got angry as they used software, it would force devs to make their software more secure. :shrug: After it was introduced, MS did quickly reduce the amount of things that will trigger a UAC prompt.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah part of it was that XP-era software did stupid poo poo like write user data into /Program Files/ which required a UAC elevation under the stricter Vista permission model

You still need to UAC to write to Program Files but programs generally don't do it anymore without a good reason

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Raygereio posted:

It was designed to annoy you. Apparently the idea was that if users got angry as they used software, it would force devs to make their software more secure. :shrug: After it was introduced, MS did quickly reduce the amount of things that will trigger a UAC prompt.

This was great. "Ah yes, our new security features interfere with all your existing software. Go bug the developers like it's their fault. Wait, why are you turning off our wonderful new security features/staying on XP forever?!?"

At least now it's tolerable, though I wish I could force specific apps to run withOUT elevation when they do not goddamn need it

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Javid posted:

This was great. "Ah yes, our new security features interfere with all your existing software. Go bug the developers like it's their fault. Wait, why are you turning off our wonderful new security features/staying on XP forever?!?"

At least now it's tolerable, though I wish I could force specific apps to run withOUT elevation when they do not goddamn need it

I mean part of the reason it got better is because people stopped saving data in Program Files/etc specifically because it started irritating end users who complained.

Not saying it was like a good idea or justifiable, just that I think it did affected it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The main reason the Program Files thing got better is that MS added a feature where attempted writes by non-elevated programs to be redirected to a folder in user/appdata. IIRC that was in 7? Anyways that's why is doesn't pop a UAC anymore.

Personally I dislike that feature, because if you have portable type apps you now have a different folder to do backups of if you want to keep your config, and digging through appdata is a PITA. I ended up putting a lot of apps outside of programs files so they stayed, you know, portable. (And I've always installed games to C:\Games, even going back to when program files wasn't protected.)

IMO what MS should have done back when they wanted to protect Program Files would have been to make a *new* place to put the Windows components and elevated-run stuff like driver stuff. Leave Program Files unsecure for compatibility, and have the new "Authorized Programs" be the place where you need UAC to install & write.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

UAC doesn't even default to the safest setting (3 out of 4). I crank that poo poo all the way up.

What's the difference between the Local, LocalLow, and Roaming directories in users/<user>/AppData? Looks like each one has different program stuff in it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Roaming is the stuff that would follow you around if you were using a roaming profile in an enterprise environment

Local is stuff that doesn't need to be synchronized across machines like cache files

LocalLow is like Local but for processes that deliberately lower their own permissions to harden against potential exploits

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

The main reason the Program Files thing got better is that MS added a feature where attempted writes by non-elevated programs to be redirected to a folder in user/appdata. IIRC that was in 7? Anyways that's why is doesn't pop a UAC anymore.

Is this documented? I was pretty sure this was just how developers implement a workaround if something ends up in an unwritable location. Writing directly to Program Files without proper permissions should just fail, and in my experience does.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Flagrama posted:

Is this documented? I was pretty sure this was just how developers implement a workaround if something ends up in an unwritable location. Writing directly to Program Files without proper permissions should just fail, and in my experience does.

They end up writing to User\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. The program doesn't even know what's going on, it's entirely Windows redirecting it.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/technet-magazine/cc138019(v=msdn.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN posted:

Windows Vista enables these legacy applications to run in standard user accounts through the help of file system and registry namespace virtualization. When an application modifies a system-global location in the file system or registry and that operation fails because access is denied, Windows redirects the operation to a per-user area; when the application reads from a system-global location, Windows first checks for data in the per-user area and, if none is present, permits the read attempt from the global location.

For the purposes of this virtualization, Windows Vista treats a process as legacy if it’s 32-bit (versus 64-bit), is not running with administrative rights, and does not have a manifest file indicating that it was written for Windows Vista. Any operations not originating from a process classified as legacy according to this definition, including network file sharing accesses, are not virtualized.

[...]

The file system locations that are virtualized for legacy processes are %ProgramFiles%, %ProgramData%, and %SystemRoot%, excluding some specific subdirectories. However, any file with an executable extension, including .exe, .bat, .scr, .vbs, and others, is excluded from virtualization. This means that programs that update themselves from a standard user account fail instead of creating private versions of their executables that aren’t visible to an administrator running a global updater.

[...]

Modifications to virtualized directories by legacy processes redirect to the user’s virtual root directory, %LocalAppData%\VirtualStore. For example, if a virtualized process that is running on my system creates C:\Windows\Application.ini, the file that it actually creates is C:\Users\Markruss\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows\Application.ini.

That's a pretty limited subset of applications. It was also already present in Vista and not added later. Did they expand the definition of a legacy application later on? With this definition I'm not sure how many you would even run into these days outside of very specific business needs or running ancient software.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

repiv posted:

Yeah part of it was that XP-era software did stupid poo poo like write user data into /Program Files/ which required a UAC elevation under the stricter Vista permission model

You still need to UAC to write to Program Files but programs generally don't do it anymore without a good reason

Perhaps the worst behavior that came out of this was that several apps began to store their entire applications in people's user folders, robbing them of the very protections UAC would provide.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shoutout to steam, which instead of adapting to the modern permission system instead just installs a backdoor service which blasts a hole through UAC so they can pretend they're still on XP

if you've noticed "steam client service" in services.msc that's what that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

This keeps popping up and I can't find PGUpd.exe on the computer. Seems like some sketch malware. I only have windows defender but it doesn't find anything.