Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

`My favorite part of Disco Elysium's political discourse is that members of every political ideology got butthurt over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I played Disco Elysium for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. I dunno if that’s actualy fair though because a lot of that was spent at character creation looking at the dizzying array of different stats and deciding which one of the default starting archetypes I wanted to choose. That part was cool. Then I woke up in my apartment and started trying to do stuff. This part of the game was funny and I enjoyed it.

Eventually I met a woman in the lobby who started telling me about Revachol, and I had her tell me as much as I could because I had heard the game had a cool world it took place in and figured knowing about it would help solve the mystery, but I found that conversation to be really dry and boring. I went outside and talked to a couple people, called a guy out on his dogwhistle racism, worked out exactly how a set of tire tracks was left on the ground. All that was cool.

Then I went to go look at the body and I found Cuno, who IIRC was a witness to the murder, so I tried to get information out of him. He was annoying and I really didn’t like talking to him, but he was my best lead, so I kept going. At some point during the conversation I got a game over, which I have since come to understand is something that can happen at a moment’s notice in DE, but at the time I didn’t know that, so I hadn’t been saving regularly. I tried to load the only autosave but it was glitched out somehow and put me into an empty pinkish-purple void. I kept the game installed for a while so I could go back to it, but I never did. The first part of the game was somewhat enjoyable, but not really enough for me to want to do it all over again.

EDIT: The pinkish-purple void was not totally empty, it had the tree with the corpse hanging from it, though I could not interact with it. In retrospect it’s kind a cool, weird, creepy glitch, but in the moment I was just so frustrated at the amount of time I had wasted.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 24, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

juicefest posted:

Like I don't want to make a big spoilerpost going over all the details, but the world of disco elysium is not like our own, and finding out how different it is, despite surface similarities, throughout the course of the game was a really interesting experience. The character writing also shows an attention to detail and realism in the motivations and feelings of characters that is often lacking in most games. This is what I found interesting about the game.

I got your point, I think the posters trying to own you just have brain worms and those aren’t in short supply on SA in 2022. A lot of people here are struggling and lash out in different ways.

Politics in world-building is a very different thing than straightforward political commentary.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 24, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
DE isn’t intersted in politics in its world building that’s not what it’s going for. It doesn’t want to be that and frankly it would be kind of boring if it was

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ariong posted:

I played Disco Elysium for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. I dunno if that’s actualy fair though because a lot of that was spent at character creation looking at the dizzying array of different stats and deciding which one of the default starting archetypes I wanted to choose. That part was cool. Then I woke up in my apartment and started trying to do stuff. This part of the game was funny and I enjoyed it.

Eventually I met a woman in the lobby who started telling me about Revachol, and I had her tell me as much as I could because I had heard the game had a cool world it took place in and figured knowing about it would help solve the mystery, but I found that conversation to be really dry and boring. I went outside and talked to a couple people, called a guy out on his dogwhistle racism, worked out exactly how a set of tire tracks was left on the ground. All that was cool.

Then I went to go look at the body and I found Cuno, who IIRC was a witness to the murder, so I tried to get information out of him. He was annoying and I really didn’t like talking to him, but he was my best lead, so I kept going. At some point during the conversation I got a game over, which I have since come to understand is something that can happen at a moment’s notice in DE, but at the time I didn’t know that, so I hadn’t been saving regularly. I tried to load the only autosave but it was glitched out somehow and put me into an empty pinkish-purple void. I kept the game installed for a while so I could go back to it, but I never did. The first part of the game was somewhat enjoyable, but not really enough for me to want to do it all over again.

EDIT: The pinkish-purple void was not totally empty, it had the tree with the corpse hanging from it, though I could not interact with it. In retrospect it’s kind a cool, weird, creepy glitch, but in the moment I was just so frustrated at the amount of time I had wasted.

maybe if you take a swing at cuno you best not miss

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Introversion (Uplink, Darwinia, Defcon, Prison Architect) posted an update video #1 about The Last Starship, their upcoming spaceship colony type game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRRo9zig9VY

Rather than being in super early access, they also just have a sign up on their Steam page if you want to be involved in a closed early alpha playtest. It's still in super early access, but it's looking interesting already.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CharlestheHammer posted:

DE isn’t intersted in politics in its world building that’s not what it’s going for. It doesn’t want to be that and frankly it would be kind of boring if it was

What are you *talking* about? This is so frankly wrong that I'm not even sure I understand what you mean by 'politics in world building'.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

"Unlike you snowflakes I'm not so easily offended" - John D. Elysium, seconds before bursting into tears because he saw an apricot.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

maybe if you take a swing at cuno you best not miss

I took a swing, missed, and I think he might have decked me in response.
I spent the rest of the game with a -1 modifier in conversations with him, described as "You were dominated by Cuno". :negative:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

supraland six inches under is weird because it's claimed not to be a full sequel to supraland and that supraland 2 is coming. but six inches under is in every way a full sequel to supraland, in a new setting (underground), with a return to the game design of the original (compared to the Crash DLC), chests everywhere, upgrades in every settlement, etc.

it's just similar in terms of sequel-type to Subnautica Below Zero (another situation of an expansion that became a full game), in that there may just be diminishing returns on 'more of the same' being a good thing. it is still entertaining, it just is not remotely innovative. i will say that it doesn't suffer from the worse open world design of Below Zero, which was a significant issue for me in that game (just very chaotic in its campaign routing, leading to a lot of confusion and annoying backtracking). it's just more along the lines of Mario 1 > Lost Levels than, say, Mario 1 > Mario 3

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I got your point, I think the posters trying to own you just have brain worms and those aren’t in short supply on SA in 2022. A lot of people here are struggling and lash out in different ways.

Politics in world-building is a very different thing than straightforward political commentary.

The world building is done in service of the politics, rather than the other way around. It is the express purpose of everything in the game and this

juicefest posted:

It's funny to me that the "stupid" opinion isn't "this game has important insights on politics"

is more of a brain wormsy comment than anything else

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HopperUK posted:

What are you *talking* about? This is so frankly wrong that I'm not even sure I understand what you mean by 'politics in world building'.

Aw your adorable

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't know what "politics in world building" means exactly but I'd say it's true that the world of Disco Elysium isn't built as a diorama where some political ideology is directly encoded in the world, but instead the politics are reflected in all of the individual characters' perception of the same uncaring world. Which is really the thing that lets it ring true and stand apart from being propaganda for any particular ideology.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Communism killed me, but love did me in.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Volte posted:

I don't know what "politics in world building" means exactly but I'd say it's true that the world of Disco Elysium isn't built as a diorama where some political ideology is directly encoded in the world, but instead the politics are reflected in all of the individual characters' perception of the same uncaring world. Which is really the thing that lets it ring true and stand apart from being propaganda for any particular ideology.

The elves of the Forest have always hated the Dwarves of the Mountains, since time immemorial, and coveted their lustrous jewels

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

I took a swing, missed, and I think he might have decked me in response.
I spent the rest of the game with a -1 modifier in conversations with him, described as "You were dominated by Cuno". :negative:

When you try to swing at Cuno and fail, you miss so badly that you hit yourself in the face.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Communism killed me, but love did me in.

The figurines, they do nothing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i couldn't play de because when my depression gets real bad i feel like i'm as useless and inept as harry. it really sucked all the humor out of it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tbh both 'disco is good', and 'it's not for everyone' can be true statements.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's best if you're in a headspace where it getting real doesn't get too real for you

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

sebmojo posted:

Tbh both 'disco is good', and 'it's not for everyone' can be true statements.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i couldn't play de because when my depression gets real bad i feel like i'm as useless and inept as harry. it really sucked all the humor out of it.

That is kind of the point though, you're taking the lead of a man who's at the very bottom of his life. It is a sad story about a sad man in a sad neighborhood. It's about hope.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 24, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:dadjoke:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Apparently just trying to avoid the topic entirely counts as defending because that's why I got that achievement. Don't laugh at me! :cry:

GOTYEY

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Different, but similar type of experience for me: when I first tried to play Disco Elysium it absolutely wore me out and I ended up quitting. I made it through the first day and it was just such an ordeal: all the cards are stacked against you and you just get screwed at every single opportunity, constantly unable to find any type of footing. Yes, I know, that's the exact point, and it makes the upturn later on as you figure things out all the more sweeter, but it was just so stressful and I was never sure if I was going to totally screw myself and have to start all over by not being able to get enough scratch to keep myself housed (again, another powerful intentional point, but it is what it is). Eventually I did go back to the game and I was more brave and just stuck with it and loved it in the end, but I can imagine a lot of people getting scared away by that harsh start.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SavageMessiah posted:

Apparently just trying to avoid the topic entirely counts as defending because that's why I got that achievement. Don't laugh at me! :cry:

GOTYEY

Haha lmao gottem

(DE is so good and it's extremely on point that they identified "not commenting on something" as being implicit support of it.)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SavageMessiah posted:

GOTYEY

It's like the third most earned achievement in the game. Tons of people have it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ZearothK posted:

That is kind of the point though, you're taking the lead of a man who's at the very bottom of his life. It is a sad story about a sad man in a sad neighborhood. It's about hope.

Ultimately, yeah, but the early hours of it are just utterly painful if you've been there yourself.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's like the third most earned achievement in the game. Tons of people have it.

gamers are a cowardly lot

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What is a gamer?

A miserable pile of cheevos.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I will race 700 more stages in Art of Rally to get the 1000 stages cheevo and none of you can stop me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Disco Elysium gets incredibly real at times, and I can understand how it can get very uncomfortable to play but for me it only cemented it as the best written video game ever, hands down.
I think it definitely helped that I built my character after my real from the get go, some of those skills get loving ruthless with mocking you. It's great.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's so incredibly anti-"depression themed indie game" while itself being a depression themed indie game. Instead of wrapping the matter into some extremely vague allegories it goes right to the heart of the matter with no mercy but in the end tells you that it's okay to be that way because it's part of being human.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 24, 2022

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

'I didn't think the politics in DE were very well drawn or interesting but enjoyed the characters and mystery of the world' is a totally reasonable take

Personally I was put off by how quirky and cartoonish the alcoholism was in the opening (lol his tie is on the fan and welp died so random) even if it later gets incredibly real

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 24, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well as an alcoholic who hung himself trying to get his tie off a ceiling fan where the gently caress do YOU get off, buddy

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
People lost in an alcoholic fugue often do cartoonish things because they think it's hilarious and they also regularly die so that part of it didn't ring particularly untrue to me

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Strategic Tea posted:

Personally I was put off by how quirky and cartoonish the alcoholism was in the opening (lol his tie is on the fan and welp died so random) even if it later gets incredibly real

This is more real than you appear to think it is

Congratulations on not being an alcoholic though I guess

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone else interested in Cult of The Lamb? It's out in two weeks.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Disco Elysium is good and communist, but I repeat myself

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Disco Elysium is incredibly boring and thinks it much more clever and funny than it is and really wants you to know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chglcu posted:

Disco Elysium is incredibly boring and thinks it much more clever and funny than it is and really wants you to know it.

hm, no