Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think the stickers are silly and funny, but ultimately not a long-term viable thing. Which is what I feel they were going for. Unfinity doesn't seem like a set you collect and play forever, more a "bust it out as a party game" styled thing instead, and I like that.

Also seeing as my friends are those that hate circling the types on Spires and stuff the idea of stickers makes them confused and therefore I am 100% for it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Shot in the dark, but I’m guessing that you’ll see stickers in EDH at some tables for a few weeks after Unfinity drops, and then not much if ever after that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TotalHell posted:

Shot in the dark, but I’m guessing that you’ll see stickers in EDH at some tables for a few weeks after Unfinity drops, and then not much if ever after that.

Yeah unless they really gently caress up the balance on some of em this is what I'm expecting.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Magnetic North posted:

Still, if they let me attach stickers to my opponent's cards, then I'm on board. "You played Chains of Mephistopheles in EDH? Well, that incredibly expensive piece of cardboard has got a sticker that says 'Juicy' in the Blingee font on it, so there."

They explicitly do not let you do this

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Also the stickers use Post-It-Notes type glue. It comes right off.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

:thejoke:

This originally happened because an exec wanted to put integrated advertising in flavor texts, like "Squarespace lets you build a beautiful website, no coding required. Use code MTG for 30 days of SquareSpace free" but the workers didn't have the heart to tell the old ghoul that you can't use hyperlink on a printed card :eng99:

The next idea will be "This card costs 2 generic mana less if you say its flavor text out loud" and it will be "Ba da ba ba daaa I'm Loving It"

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I reveal Ronald McDonald as my Sponsor and create a food token as a pregame action.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Wicker Picker makes every creature have sticker kicker, which helps Hallar, the Firefletcher and Verazol, the Split Current with one of their current problems (there's like seven good kicker cards).

I think it's funny that you don't even care about the stickers, it's all about kicking Llanowar Elves.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Is there any cards that give effects such a Darkest Hour or Painter's Servant in Black, White or colorless?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mycosynth Lattice, Celestial Dawn (but only for your stuff), Thran Lens.

There's a number of others that are targeted, temporary, or in specific conditions too.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Rythe posted:

Is there any cards that give effects such a Darkest Hour or Painter's Servant in Black, White or colorless?

I’m a little confused, Darkest Hour is already in black?

DreamScythe
Jul 25, 2007
A repeatable way of turning stuff white outside of 8.5 Tails would be useful. I speculated on a bunch of Dystopias and would love to break it like I broke Lifeline.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

TotalHell posted:

I’m a little confused, Darkest Hour is already in black?

I should have been more specific, I'm looking for more effects like Darkest Hour that can turn all permanents black so I can abuse Teysa death trigger ability. I think Darkest Hour and Painter's Servant are the only permanent ones I can find.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

DreamScythe posted:

A repeatable way of turning stuff white outside of 8.5 Tails would be useful. I speculated on a bunch of Dystopias and would love to break it like I broke Lifeline.

Aurora Griffin
Cloudchaser Kestrel

Rythe posted:

I should have been more specific, I'm looking for more effects like Darkest Hour that can turn all permanents black so I can abuse Teysa death trigger ability. I think Darkest Hour and Painter's Servant are the only permanent ones I can find.

Ahh ok. There are a few auras that turn specifically targeted creatures black, but outside of that, I think options are limited.

Unlesssss of course you want to do the Urborg / Kormus Bell combo?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DreamScythe posted:

Blind Seer :smugdon:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rythe posted:

It's an instant but Nightcreep makes every creature black until end of turn.

There's also Distorting Lens and Alchor's Tomb but they only effect one creature at a time.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 26, 2022

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Touch of Darkness is an instant from legends that'll turn as many creatures as you want black until end of turn

there's a little cycle of those instants btw, i've been trying to use the blue and red ones in an izzet "color matters" deck for years

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Heaven's Gate is the white version of that one

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Nightcreep and Touch of Darkness aren't persistent, though, so the tokens created won't be black.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/7jLrrAfGaUo

Time to make one EDH deck with everything in it.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I have a very specific, odd question that almost never comes into play with my casual friends, but I now want to know because I have decks that are utilizing mana reduction artifacts or enchants. It's about priority and removal. Let's say it's my turn, and I play an artifact that allows me to reduce the cost of all creatures by 1. My opponent wants to play an instant to remove that artifact, but is there a part where I can hold priority and play a creature for 1 less right after casting and resolving that artifact? Or can you not hold priority in that way? We almost never deal with the priority holding mechanic but it's a weird edge case where I don't understand it and it would be relevant. Or since it's an instant can he just force his way in between those actions?

The 2nd question would be, if I can hold priority and do it in that way, I assume they can add their instant to the stack of my creature being played, which would destroy the artifact first, and then my creature would come out. But I would still get the mana cost reduction if that were correct because it was part of the cost associated with playing the card?

So basically my question is, am I correct in thinking a legal action would be to play an artifact on my turn, then say I'm holding priority, then play a creature with that artifacts cost reduction, and there is nothing my opponent can do about that? I know if they had a counterspell they could add that to the stack of the artifact being played, but because they don't and the artifact/spell is allowed to resolve, I should retain priority immediately after, no? I may be missing something about this system where I have to pass priority before playing a new spell, but I didn't think that was how it worked.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 27, 2022

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

It depends. How sorcery speed spells like casting a creature work is you can only cast them when it's your main phase and the stack is empty. Unless your artifact causes an ability to trigger, your opponents can't respond if it resolves. The priority would reset back to you.They would only have the chance to respond when you go to cast a creature spell, at that point you would already have gotten your cost reduction.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Akumos posted:

I have a very specific, odd question

If, for instance, you play Jet Medallion, then you can immediately follow it up with a sorcery speed spell (sorcery/artifact/enchantment/creature/planeswalker) and get the cost reduction, and there's nothing your opponent can do to disrupt that. However, they can respond to that spell by killing the artifact to prevent you from playing further sorcery speed spells with discount.

This is because priority always returns to you when the stack clears and they can't target the Medallion with removal until the stack clears and it's in play.

HOWEVER

If you had a Glaze Fiend, or other thing that triggers on the Jet Medallion entering the battlefield, you'd have to put that on the stack immediately, and sorcery speed cards can't be played unless the stack is empty, do your opponents can respond to the trigger by killing the Medallion and deny you the discount.

Specifically, you never need to "hold priority" for any of this, because "holding priority" means responding to your own spell or ability with an instant speed spell or ability.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Specifically, you never need to "hold priority" for any of this, because "holding priority" means responding to your own spell or ability with an instant speed spell or ability.

Priority returns to the active player after a spell resolves. If I don't specify that I'm holding or at least using my priority, can't my opponent just play an instant removal before I play a creature? Maybe that's not exactly how the wording is meant to be used, but I'm trying to make it understandable to my friends why they can't just cast an instant to remove the artifact in between me casting it and a creature. If I try to just play the creature after they go to play the instant, it makes no sense to them, because it isn't an instant. Like, they CAN play the instant to remove the artifact, but it goes on top of a stack with my creature at best, not before it.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 27, 2022

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Akumos posted:

Priority returns to the active player after a spell resolves. If I don't specify that I'm holding or at least using my priority, can't my opponent just play an instant removal before I play a creature? Maybe that's not exactly how the wording is meant to be used, but I'm trying to make it understandable to my friends why they can't just cast an instant to remove the artifact in between me casting it and a creature. If I try to just play the creature after they go to play the instant, it makes no sense to them, because it isn't an instant. Like, they CAN play the instant to remove the artifact, but it goes on top of a stack with my creature at best, not before it.

You only need to specify you're holding priority if you're doing something in response to your own spell (like reverberate/fork/etc.), otherwise it's assumed that you're passing. Basically you cast a spell and have priority to respond (which it's usually assumed you pass by default since the cases where you respond to your own spell are rare), then each other player gets a chance to respond. If nobody does, the spell resolves and active player gets priority again. Your opponent has priority while the example Jet Medallion is on the stack, but doesn't get it after it resolves until you pass priority again, either by ending the phase or casting another spell. This is the same reason you can't just yell BOLT JACE immediately when he hits the table without the caster having a chance to use a +loyalty ability.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Akumos posted:

If I try to just play the creature after they go to play the instant, it makes no sense to them, because it isn't an instant.

This is where you have to tell them to back it up, because they didn’t have priority to cast anything. If it’s not your turn, you can only cast spells in response to the active player passing priority, whether that’s to resolve their own spell or ability, or because they want to change phases. Other players can’t just drop instants on an empty stack on someone else’s turn.

Edit: Saying “holding priority” is really just to eliminate a feels bad when you have to tell your opponent to stop making illegal plays. It’s not an actual game mechanic, it’s just saying out loud how the stack functions.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

been putting Elder Dragon Hijinks on recently and lol i did not know they have Matthew Lillard on as a guest, gonna watch that today after i get home from work and i'm excited

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/xxqqezas1U2UQMkoW4KbIg

TLDR there is a commander playgroup at my new job and one of the guys in it asked me for help building a decklist. He wanted a dragons deck and he wanted a newer commander and a budget of $50-ish. I brewed this list for around $80 and he’s really pumped about it and is gonna buy it. What do you think? He’s a newer player so I’m not putting too many combos or tutors in the list, I just want them to reliably hit enough mana to cast their commander and make some dragons. I’ve avoided things like Devour or Amplfiy because honestly just keeping track of all these copies might be a lot for a new player.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

TLDR there is a commander playgroup at my new job and one of the guys in it asked me for help building a decklist. He wanted a dragons deck and he wanted a newer commander and a budget of $50-ish. I brewed this list for around $80 and he’s really pumped about it and is gonna buy it. What do you think? He’s a newer player so I’m not putting too many combos or tutors in the list, I just want them to reliably hit enough mana to cast their commander and make some dragons. I’ve avoided things like Devour or Amplfiy because honestly just keeping track of all these copies might be a lot for a new player.

I don't like the UU counterspells or Garruk with this manabase. Instead of Garruk, I'd be more comfortable with a Return of the Wildspeaker or Rikshar's Expertise or even a Hunter's Prowess.

I know it's budget but Rhythm of the Wild feels like a must-include for this sort of big battlecruiser style deck. It does all the things you want.

Also, since you are hard casting dragons, Reflections of Littarja is a buck and probably worthwhile.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Dragon Arch just got reprinted in Double Double Masters so it's currently super cheap, same with Mirage Mirror, Cursed Mirror to cheaply clone another dragon to get some damage in then it just poops out red mana

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Toshimo posted:

I know it's budget but Rhythm of the Wild feels like a must-include for this sort of big battlecruiser style deck. It does all the things you want.

Temur Ascendancy as a budget alternative perhaps? It works on the tokens too

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
+Return of the Wildspeaker
+Temur Ascendancy
+Tale’s End
+Reflections of Litjara

-Counterspell
-Counterspell 2
-Magda
-Garruk

I was curious about a rules interaction RE Cursed Mirror. If I have Mirror enter as a dragon, does Miirym copy it? And then does the copy stay a dragon or does it become a Cursed Mirror at the end of my turn?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Gatherer rulings read to me like Miirym would copy the dragon cursed mirror ETB'd as, and the copy would remain a dragon and not turn back into a cursed mirror at end of turn.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yes, the token would copy the creature as it ETBs, it would not have haste, and it would not change back at EOT.

Liitjara Reflections is a fun one because if you have it in play before you cast Miirym, it'll create a token copy that resolves before Miirym enters, and make a non-legendary Miirym token before you have to decide which one you wanna keep.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.postmalone.whatnot.com/?fbclid=IwAR2GWDylukd50yh9hvYAvukRHQPom719kpgN34-sG82VESoaq3jODMvSFbo

get randomly selected to play Post Malone, maybe win 100k

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lame it's commander, he can't play 8post.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Lame it's commander, he can't play 8post.

Two posts, Vesuva, Thespian Stage, Mythos of Illuna. Just need three more copy effects!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I want to make a new deck in honor of my newborn twins. What are some possible commanders to use? A quick search shows Adrix and Nev. And there are partners of course. Any other options I’m missing?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

checkplease posted:

I want to make a new deck in honor of my newborn twins. What are some possible commanders to use? A quick search shows Adrix and Nev. And there are partners of course. Any other options I’m missing?

The Kenriths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

checkplease posted:

This might be covered by "and there are partners of course", but Rowan and Will Kenrith are twins

e: curse you, Heath!