Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

American McGay posted:

Need Firewire for my MiniDV cam. Apple??

You can daisy chain the TB3 to TB2 dongle and the TB2 to FW800 dongle and a FW800 to FW400 cable. It actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep, I kept a 2012 specifically for MiniDV work but in most circumstances the thunderbolt chain of chaos works perfectly fine.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Any recommendations for a hub/dock/disk enclosure for a Mac Mini M1 ? I've seen various ones with the same foot-print as the Mac mini but the reviews seem to be variable. I'm really after the convenience of more easily accessible ports on the front, and to add another disk.

Some of the reviews indicate issues with wifi no longer working, or all the ports/disk stopping working periodically - not so great !

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

powderific posted:

I see the Delkin and Kingston, but B&H has 76 v90 sdxc card and 3 micro sd. I dunno, maybe it’s possible but not popular? I couldn’t find the Sandisk one though.

Edit: and the Kingston is the only one that comes in bigger capacities.

Double edit: the real advantage of full size SD is they're way easier to deal with, especially in the field and with gloves and whatnot. I get why the micro version exists and it's amazing what they can fit in, but for anything that isn't size/weight constrained to the degree of a phone or drone I'd way rather just use the full size ones.

In order to achieve high speeds, the most common trick is to use multiple storage chips in parallel, meaning it will use more room inside the card, making it a hellish prospect to design and manufacture for microSD. Same story for storage size, there is a point where the single chip modules don't exist so you need to use multiple IC and those will not fit easily. Those are solved problems on full size, since it has plenty of room inside.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Criss-cross posted:

Comedy option: They move to a nano SD card slot.
Bring back mini SD.

SlowBloke posted:

In order to achieve high speeds, the most common trick is to use multiple storage chips in parallel, meaning it will use more room inside the card, making it a hellish prospect to design and manufacture for microSD. Same story for storage size, there is a point where the single chip modules don't exist so you need to use multiple IC and those will not fit easily. Those are solved problems on full size, since it has plenty of room inside.
There's also a matter of heat generation by all those chips within the small space.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Got my M2 MacBook Air, and...it's great! People get so hung up on benchmarks and thermal cameras and stuff. The things seems fine for my uses, image editing, light coding. I hope I have it as long as my 2015 MacBook Pro.

Which reminds me, is there a way I can connect my 2015 MacBook Pro to my Air in target disk mode so I can transfer stuff quickly? Do I just need a USB-C to USB-A cable, or is that not going to work? I know I could use migration assistant, but I kind of wanted to start fresh in terms of settings and stuff.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

To go to a 2015 rMBP, you'd have to use a Thunderbolt 2 cable along with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

Put the rMBP in Target Disk Mode, plug in the TB2 cable to the rMBP, plug another end to the TB3/TB2 adapter, then plug that into your M2 MBA, the hard drive should mount just fine.

I doubt the USB-C to USB-A cable would work.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

To go to a 2015 rMBP, you'd have to use a Thunderbolt 2 cable along with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

Put the rMBP in Target Disk Mode, plug in the TB2 cable to the rMBP, plug another end to the TB3/TB2 adapter, then plug that into your M2 MBA, the hard drive should mount just fine.

Thanks, I think given the extra hardware I'd need, I'll just transfer everything to a hard drive, then to the new Air.

Also, can anyone comment on Brew vs. Macports for dev stuff on M1/M2? I've always used Brew, but am game for trying something else if it's better.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

pretty sure you can use Ethernet/its respective adapters

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

frogbs posted:

Thanks, I think given the extra hardware I'd need, I'll just transfer everything to a hard drive, then to the new Air.

Also, can anyone comment on Brew vs. Macports for dev stuff on M1/M2? I've always used Brew, but am game for trying something else if it's better.
Brew has really solid Apple Silicon support so I’d continue to use it if you’re familiar with it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Mercurius posted:

Brew has really solid Apple Silicon support so I’d continue to use it if you’re familiar with it.

Thanks! Sticking with Brew for the time being then.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

pretty sure you can use Ethernet/its respective adapters

Then you gotta buy a TBolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter, Ethernet cable, USB-C to Ethernet adapter.. might cost less and you can still use the USB-C Ethernet.. but it won't be as fast as the TB only solution

If OP had all that stuff laying around then sure.. but then again it's $80 for Apple's adapter and $20 or so for a TB2 cable so it's a wash except for xfer speed

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/07/26/apple-replaces-intel-component-in-macbook-air/

M2 Air owners can rest secure in the knowledge that their equipment is free of that filthy Intel taint

The M2 13-inch MBP probably still has those Intel retimer chips though..

So for all models including and after the M2 Air, if you find USB-C / Thunderbolt bugs it's all on Apple and they can't blame Intel for USB driver issues

Might mean loss of TB support for the handful of Mac Pro 5,1 owners who fudged Titan Ridge Thunderbolt cards into their setups, though..

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
the removal of the SD slot made zero sense to me, i've read that photographers dont use the slot.

so how on earth do you transfer the photos then? dongle -> usb cable -> camera?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i only ever did amateur and product photography, but i used my sd slot on my 2012 pro all the time. with that said for a time the built-ins were slower than some external options. the new ones support pretty fast standards, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah the newest SD slots in the M1 Max/Pro machines support up to 290 MB/sec transfer rates, which compares favorably with standard platter based hard drive speed.

The only fly in the ointment there is that so far the maximum amount of storage supporting the highest speeds are for 512GB cards and lower, and those are super expensive ATM

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
my camera has a great alternative to an sd card. you spend 3 minutes fiddling in the janky menu to find the badly named and categorized option to turn on a wifi hotspot, which you can then join on your computer, go to the web server it runs, and download your photos one at a time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=friXv1qFyMY

The MaxTech guys interviewed Mark Gurman of Bloomberg, who says that Apple had an M1 Mac Pro all ready to go at WWDC last month, but decided to wait for the M2 Extreme to hit production.

Also attributed to Mark is the statement that Apple will announce the M2 Mac Pro at the end of this year and actually start shipping them in 2023.

He also said M2 Minis will stay exactly the same except for the inclusion of the M2 chip. So, a machine with just a new chip dropped in

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

So for all models including and after the M2 Air, if you find USB-C / Thunderbolt bugs it's all on Apple and they can't blame Intel for USB driver issues

That was already true, USB/TB retimers (the Intel part that was in all M1 Macs) don't really deal with USB on the protocol level, aka the part of it that drivers are concerned with. Retimers are essentially range extender chips. The attenuation, dispersion, reflections, and other signal quality issues caused by lengths of copper wire and connectors are pretty destructive to ultra high bit rates like 10 or 20 Gbps. To hit the highest speeds, you need active signal conditioning silicon in the line, especially on either side of connectors.

This is why high end TB3 cables are so expensive - cables able to carry 20G per signal pair for 40G throughput are required to have retimer ICs embedded in the cable heads. Those embedded retimers are the same kind of thing found on Mac motherboards.

Originally Intel tried to own all Thunderbolt related silicon, so TB retimers were Intel only, but now that USB4 incorporates TB4 it has to be more open, so more alternate suppliers of USB4/TB4 retimer silicon have been popping up.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

My M2 Air shipped and I'm wondering if I should get Apple Care for it. Please advise thanks

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

anothergod posted:

My M2 Air shipped and I'm wondering if I should get Apple Care for it. Please advise thanks

I guess if you plan on taking it out of the house a lot maybe?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is there a cheaper Thunderbolt/USB-C hub that people like? I decided I don't really care about display output since I can just plug the HDMI cable straight in now. So really all I want is to be able to plug one cable in for power + USB peripherals. Maybe my expectations are out of whack but I feel like I should be able to do that in the $50-70 range right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

imo apple care has traditionally been worth it and greased the wheels on repairs that may or may not otherwise have been covered

esp if you get a student discount on it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

prom candy posted:

Is there a cheaper Thunderbolt/USB-C hub that people like? I decided I don't really care about display output since I can just plug the HDMI cable straight in now. So really all I want is to be able to plug one cable in for power + USB peripherals. Maybe my expectations are out of whack but I feel like I should be able to do that in the $50-70 range right?

fwiw every hub in that price range I've tried has been a real piece of poo poo. The cheapest quality one for just that stuff is the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub. I'm happy to be proven wrong though

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

prom candy posted:

I'm assuming these are all coming out of the same factory/reference design with just different cases, but had zero issues with any of the Anker USB-C ones (which is my go-to for everyone I know that asks), other than deciding which random combination of ports they include best suits your use case (and finding one without HDMI is kind of a pain). Pluggable and UNI have also been fine.

I usually still use the magsafe connector because it's neat. I also use 0 thunderbolt peripherals and don't see that changing, USB-C has been fine for everything I've ever needed.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 26, 2022

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

RoboBoogie posted:

the removal of the SD slot made zero sense to me, i've read that photographers dont use the slot.

so how on earth do you transfer the photos then? dongle -> usb cable -> camera?

The lack of an SD slot was a major PIA. I’m glad it’s back, but the high end of the industry appears to be ready to move to CFexpress.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah I'm vaguely hopeful in a few of years they'll upgrade the SD card slot to a combo CF Express/SD card slot, but camera brands are split between CF Express Type A (Sony) and Type B (seemingly everyone else) so I'm guessing Apple will just stay out of it until one of the formats disappears.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah and unlike previous instances where they tried to push a proprietary standard of some sort sonys products are sufficiently trend setting this time around to make the issue unavoidable for the time being

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Breadnought posted:

Yeah I'm vaguely hopeful in a few of years they'll upgrade the SD card slot to a combo CF Express/SD card slot, but camera brands are split between CF Express Type A (Sony) and Type B (seemingly everyone else) so I'm guessing Apple will just stay out of it until one of the formats disappears.

Type B/C is also hulking huge, meaning it would take a lot of chassis estate to fit. It wouldn't be uncharacteristic for them to go with the tiniest size and telling everyone using B or C to buy dongles/external readers.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Just pulled the trigger on a refurb 14" pro, which was only £60 more than a 512/16 spec m2 air. Hopefully it'll last as long as this 2012 model I'm using. Now to look for a dongle.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

zhar posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a refurb 14" pro, which was only £60 more than a 512/16 spec m2 air. Hopefully it'll last as long as this 2012 model I'm using. Now to look for a dongle.

The honeymoon period should be over with my Pro but it's not, this thing kicks rear end. Coming from a 2012 you're gonna be blown away.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I got a 14” pro instead of an M2 air because I’m an IT guy and hobby mad-scientist who does Real Work and needs CAD and CFLs to run at lightning speed. Edu discount brought it down to $1800, with a $150 gift card as well.

So far it’s been used for streaming Veep and web browsing exclusively

10/10 love this thing

zhar
May 3, 2019

prom candy posted:

The honeymoon period should be over with my Pro but it's not, this thing kicks rear end. Coming from a 2012 you're gonna be blown away.

While I’m planning to use it as more if a workhorse than I could really expect the 2012 to be, I’m honestly most looking forward to it hopefully not leaving a visible sweat imprint on my shorts if I have much more than a few text based browser tabs open.

Did you decide on a usb hub? I’m tempted to just get one of the cheap £20 ones with 2 or 3 USB ports and a 100mb ethernet port on the end and hope for the best.

App13 posted:

So far it’s been used for streaming Veep and web browsing exclusively

I’m predicting this will be me but at least it’s got a pretty screen.

zhar fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 28, 2022

App13
Dec 31, 2011

zhar posted:

While I’m planning to use it as more if a workhorse than I could really expect the 2012 to be, I’m honestly most looking forward to it hopefully not leaving a visible sweat imprint on my shorts if I have much more than a few text based browser tabs open.

Did you decide on a usb hub? I’m tempted to just get one of the cheap £20 ones with 2 or 3 USB ports and a 100mb ethernet port on the end and hope for the best.

I went with a Hyper brand USB-C hub with an Ethernet port for like $60-70. Works great but it does get a little warm

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zhar posted:

6+ months on and I am still gape-mouthed at how good the speakers are.

I just moved and my TV / AV system hasn't gotten hooked up yet but I don't care, this thing does just fine

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

zhar posted:

I've decided to just go hubless. All my peripherals are already plugged into my monitor so I only need to plug in 1 USB thing, power, and display. At some point I might get an HDMI->Thunderbolt cable so I can plug everything in on the same side of the laptop. I'm also pretty into having magsafe back, I like the little light on it.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I got one of those Mac Mini usb hubs and I like it. It's got a spot for an NVMe and another for a SATA drive, which is nice in a hub.

zhar
May 3, 2019

It arrived and my first reaction was surprise at how small it is. I expected it to be lighter than the 13 as they’ve ditched the disc reader but I didn’t expect all the physical dimensions to be smaller than a model a size down even if it’s comparing from a few generations ago.

Haven’t used it much yet other than some setup but I can tell it will be a joy to have a battery that takes longer to discharge than charge. Going to try the trick of keeping it 30-80% full this time round.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

zhar posted:

Going to try the trick of keeping it 30-80% full this time round.

There's an app called Al Dente that will manage this for you. It works great, I've been using it for like a year now & my battery is still at 100% capacity.

It also comes with Setapp. Btw anyone who is on the fence about SetApp - I highly recommend it. It's pretty drat nice getting so many apps for 2 macs for $10/mo. Here's all the apps I use with my subscription. If you take a lot of screenshots, Cleanshot X is seriously the loving best app ever. Bartender is IMO a must-have if you have a mac with a notch. NitroPDF is a fantastic PDF editor.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also if you keep it plugged in the OS will just hold it at 80% on its own.