Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

SeXReX posted:

Celeste Bingo mini tournament finals just starting up on the gdq channel
https://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

What is a bingo tournament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

ilmucche posted:

What is a bingo tournament

Bingo is a format for Speedrun competition where the players are given a 5x5 grid of smaller objectives in the game to accomplish rather than just trying to reach the end the fastest. In a standard bingo the goal is to be the first to complete a row or column of 5 goals.

Celeste, however, generally uses a variation of bingo called lockout, where the position of the squares in the grid isn't important. Instead only the first player to accomplish the task is granted the point for it, making it a competition to reach 13 of them (in a 1v1). Players aren't allowed to look at the other person's stream, only gaining insight into what goals they're going for through what gets marked off on the board.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I watched a lot of Hollow knight rando tournament that used the same bingo mechanic and that was very entertaining.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SeXReX posted:

Bingo is a format for Speedrun competition where the players are given a 5x5 grid of smaller objectives in the game to accomplish rather than just trying to reach the end the fastest. In a standard bingo the goal is to be the first to complete a row or column of 5 goals.

Never saw a bingo speedrun but sounds like it could be neat to watch.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I watched a lot of Hollow knight rando tournament that used the same bingo mechanic and that was very entertaining.

itry posted:

Never saw a bingo speedrun but sounds like it could be neat to watch.

Sounds like a very interesting mechanic that i've never watched, and which i don't plan to.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
bingo speedruns are like randomizers in that they require more than pure speed skill or rote memorization. i think the tournament format isn't as good as individual runners because you miss out on things like the player talking about the particular routes and choices they're making along the way, though that same problem exists with randomizers too

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Zamujasa posted:

bingo speedruns are like randomizers in that they require more than pure speed skill or rote memorization. i think the tournament format isn't as good as individual runners because you miss out on things like the player talking about the particular routes and choices they're making along the way, though that same problem exists with randomizers too

Good comms can help with that

(most comms are not good)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I used to watch a lot of Mario Sunshine lockout bingo, I think there was a whole lot of that going on for a while.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

neongrey posted:

Good comms can help with that

(most comms are not good)

good commentators can help, but they can't read minds. they can make observations and assumptions about the player's choices but can't actually say what's going through their heads

being a good commentator requires knowing the game, the run, and the player and usually you'll get one or two out of three, at best

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SeXReX posted:

There's a joke here about resetting 3 minutes in and never finishing runs
That's never happened before.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Arbitrary chode execution

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

https://esamarathon.com/schedule/

ESA Summer is on and from what I managed to catch, the Geoguessr Diverse world perfect score showcase was pretty impressive again, the seed surely didn't make it easy.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh hell yeah my man coolkid is gonna run. Not watching tho

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

that's a really lovely probe for the world's most harmless joke

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToO7IeVx1y8

new summoningsalt

An Actual Princess posted:

that's a really lovely probe for the world's most harmless joke

are you his alt or something? the only thing you've posted in the last month in here is defending that really boring gimmick

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

flatluigi posted:

new summoningsalt

are you his alt or something? the only thing you've posted in the last month in here is defending that really boring gimmick

i read the thread and don't post very much. sorry

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i think its a funny probe based solely on the fact that arf saying "not watching" upset someone enough for them to hit report

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think it's a funny probe. Not checking the reason for it though.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

if u want me to talk about speedrunning however i've been practicing the final fantasy X speedrun recently. with the cutscene remover it's reasonably short and honestly a lot of fun. my first run was a bit over five hours, but as i learn the route i'm bringing it closer to four.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

if u want me to talk about speedrunning however i've been practicing the final fantasy X speedrun recently. with the cutscene remover it's reasonably short and honestly a lot of fun. my first run was a bit over five hours, but as i learn the route i'm bringing it closer to four.

hoip. the ffx speedrun is really sick

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

do you have any vods or is this just something you're doing privately for now

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

flatluigi posted:

do you have any vods or is this just something you're doing privately for now

privately because a lot of it is still me reading notes during the run because it's a lot to memorize. i'll post here when i have vods though. namaste.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
I think it's a funny joke, but a probe is what happens when you do this sort of thing too!

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
watching this new summoning salt video is honestly inspiring me to look more into stunt race FX, as I got close to finding a possible big skip in White Land, but couldn't get the lap to count, and this makes me wonder if it would be possible to do some kind of ultra shortcut

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://objection.lol/objection/4075809

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

If you are someone who _is_ watching ESA and other speedrunning endeavours, the Dark Souls II run I watched last night was very fun.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also loving the rhythm game showcases they're having now on ESA too. That stuff was lit.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

TeaJay posted:

If you are someone who _is_ watching ESA and other speedrunning endeavours, the Dark Souls II run I watched last night was very fun.

Does ESA post VODs to YouTube the same way GDQ does?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, but they're generally a lot slower with them, for some reason. Your best bet for VODing interesting runs in the near future is to find 'em from the Twitch past broadcast.

e: drat it I love Catalystz, Elden Ring and The Gigachad

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 24, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TeaJay posted:

What category was it?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

vlad3217 posted:

Does ESA post VODs to YouTube the same way GDQ does?
Eventually. Instead of dumping them ASAP they dole them out run by run over several months to a year :|

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Sounds rough, though it doesnt affect me since im not gonna watch anyway.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

ArfJason posted:

Sounds rough, though it doesnt affect me since im not gonna watch anyway.

flatluigi posted:

new summoningsalt

You should watch this ArfJason

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Welcome back arf I hope you had plenty of things to not watch on your day off

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

actually no one should watch esa, because they're a garbage organization

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

:emptyquote:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

What category was it?

Old souls (unrestricted).

Seems like ESA are doing individual clips on Twitch of their runs so that makes it a lot easier to VOD.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1540781993

Here's Dark Souls II. Blacktastic's Circle of the moon run was also fun.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

why's that

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

:sanix:
:sanix:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU