Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
this season? lol some of us are forgetting ed the space kidnapper and mrs karen robinson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I’ve been fence sitting on the Danny plot cuz the show has done a lot with some of the previous questionable plots but man, this was a stinker.

They can redeem it, I guess. I’m hopeful? I was not feeling this one at all though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

this season? lol some of us are forgetting ed the space kidnapper and mrs karen robinson

Ed the kidnapper makes sense in context. Mrs Karen Robinson is not great but it drove plot. It just turns out the plot it was driving was not entertaining at all to watch and has culminated in this unpleasant mess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah pretty dumb episode. Especially frustrating because the Danny stuff could've been easily improved by cutting out that last confrontation. I know industrial accidents happen all the time because of a series of dumb decisions but that's above and beyond. Even if you assume that Ed is an idiot and would let it slide, the Guatemala guy clearly thought Danny was a psycho, no way he'd let him unsupervised.

The earth stuff was also boring and/or dumb sadly. Not sure how the Lewinsky scandal is supposed to work since First Gentleman isn't like an elected position, so the worst they could do is hit him for perjury?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

NASA is totally gonna get Oklahoma City'd
They're gonna blow it up just before the FBI raids the building, thus destroying any evidence that might've implicated Margo

The danger is very real!

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Ed's gonna kill Danny with his last ounce of dying strength.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Yeah America in the show's timeline is blissfully unaware of how bad a zealot with access to a hardware store can be.

Edit: it's perfectly natural that Ed would assume that ordering someone to get their poo poo together would rectify the issue because that's his whole deal.

Also, I think Ed believes Danny is using drugs to enhance his performance (“not the first pilot I’ve seen on go pills”) and doesn’t understand Danny is trying to make himself utterly numb. Regardless, a bad call.

Anyway, I grew up in Kentucky coal country. Mining accidents cause by leaving a pill head in charge of literally anything is not unusual. Danny causing a catastrophe because of negligence is a perfect decision.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah America in the show's timeline is blissfully unaware of how bad a zealot with access to a hardware store can be.

Edit: it's perfectly natural that Ed would assume that ordering someone to get their poo poo together would rectify the issue because that's his whole deal.

Yeah, a lot of this arc is about Ed replicating the same mistakes that got his son (and Danny's best friend) killed.

Honestly, the dead kid angle should turn up more often given that it's clearly the thing driving so much of this insane Oedipal drama.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Big McHuge posted:

Ed's gonna kill Danny with his last ounce of dying strength.

It was foreshadowed with Kelly's line about how he could be the first person to kill life on Mars!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

It’s a bit noticeable this show doesn’t have a dedicated White House set. West Wing had flaws but their presidential office looked great and was sunny and roomy, and it was cool how I think stuff like X-Men 2 & Red Alert 2 were able to use the set. Here it feels like they stuffed the president in an unused gloomy conference room.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I could handle one failson arc, but two in a season is just too much. Jimmy is really naive and susceptible to peer pressure for a 48 year old man.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

I could handle one failson arc, but two in a season is just too much. Jimmy is really naive and susceptible to peer pressure for a 48 year old man.

Yeah, they could have excluded his scenes and it wouldn’t have felt like anything was missing. And how they heck are these amateurs sawing down a statue in front of one of America’s most critical and presumably protected buildings even in the middle of the night? If you tried to steal a no parking sign from in front of NSA HQ nowadays probably wouldn’t go well.

Although as this didn’t seem to require the badge maybe it was a distraction for a bigger plan? Stuff the statue with explosives, then let it be found and reinstalled? Except that still wouldn’t require the badge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Lol I forgot that Jimmy and Danny are supposed to be in their 30s I think. Jimmy acts like he's a dumb teenager.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Would have liked it better if Danny has partied his way out of Annapolis and taken the conspiracy theory route and Jimmy learned that space radiation can affect sperm and is responsible for his Benjamin Button Syndrome.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s a bit noticeable this show doesn’t have a dedicated White House set. West Wing had flaws but their presidential office looked great and was sunny and roomy, and it was cool how I think stuff like X-Men 2 & Red Alert 2 were able to use the set. Here it feels like they stuffed the president in an unused gloomy conference room.

It’s probably architecturally accurate, just the director and DP using lighting and lenses to convey how trapped they are. I’ve been on an Oval Office set and it’s definitely not big, but you can cheat a lot of stuff like that when you start pumping a thousand sky panels and a 14mm prime into it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Got strong “now Homer, don’t you eat this pie” vibes when that guy left Danny alone with the machine that could kill the guy who just humiliated him so he could walk across the room to turn his back to do science.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I think the geek dude is legit afraid of both Ed and Danny, especially after the robopooch bit it.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

And how they heck are these amateurs sawing down a statue in front of one of America’s most critical and presumably protected buildings even in the middle of the night? If you tried to steal a no parking sign from in front of NSA HQ nowadays probably wouldn’t go well.

I doubt the building is just right on the street -- probably requires badge access at a gate first.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I know this is a weird prediction, but I think Lil’ Brother might end up some kind of right wing media figure. Besides his parents lending him gravitas, every time he says anything remotely reflective or have a good turn of phrase his doofy friends comment on now he’s good with words.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rappaport posted:

I think the geek dude is legit afraid of both Ed and Danny, especially after the robopooch bit it.

Oh yeah, Nick (and most of the Helios crew) have been low key terrified of Danny since before the movie re-enactment incident.

Ed's a terrible leader too.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Marsupial Ape posted:

I know this is a weird prediction, but I think Lil’ Brother might end up some kind of right wing media figure. Besides his parents lending him gravitas, every time he says anything remotely reflective or have a good turn of phrase his doofy friends comment on now he’s good with words.

They’re love-bombing and manipulating him to get what they need. In the process he’s being set up as their patsy. Evidence will point to him when they do whatever it is they’re planning.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its cool that Ellen and Larry seem to be co president

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

mistermojo posted:

Little bummed they didn’t put together a montage of mid-90s late night hosts poking fun at the first gentleman. Some Jay-walking, a top ten list, maybe an In Living Color sketch. Heck, have a 90s SNL type spoof of living on Mars. Wouldn’t cost that much for a bit of fun.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Little bummed they didn’t put together a montage of mid-90s late night hosts poking fun at the first gentleman. Some Jay-walking, a top ten list, maybe an In Living Color sketch. Heck, have a 90s SNL type spoof of living on Mars. Wouldn’t cost that much for a bit of fun.

SNL did a sketch in the early '90s where Hillary used the term "co-president" when describing herself to Bob Dole.

Good luck getting this video to play. Failing that, here's a transcript.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

mistermojo posted:

they would have to literally cast hillary and bill clinton to be any more on the nose

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I don't mind the politics or Margo, but the two failson plot lines are just boring and are handled so sloppily. Like except for the last scene Danny could've been cut from the episode and I've been ffwd through the other ones plotlines and assume I'm not missing much.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I'm just glad they keep bringing the Dunkirk, Tenet, and Interstellar scores up in this show. it's classless and lazy, but i love it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I don't mind the politics or Margo, but the two failson plot lines are just boring and are handled so sloppily. Like except for the last scene Danny could've been cut from the episode and I've been ffwd through the other ones plotlines and assume I'm not missing much.

The wrong Stevenses died

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Goons as usual hit the nail on the head.

It's a shame too, don't want to see this show go off the rails.

Confident that the season finale will be sufficient to hold my interest, and once we get into the 21st century then the potential directions for the show to go in keep me hopeful.

Coming off a recent re-watch of The Americans, I cannot get my head around the lack of internal security in this timeline's version of NASA and America more broadly. Margot's treason should have been detected years ago.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
they need to hurry up and make a reference to Senator OJ Simpson in the next few episodes imho

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
This is not relevant to the plot of the show but Venus is so much loving easier to colonize than Mars.

You just have to live in floating aerostats…which is loving rad. We could have had Ed fighting carnivorous sky jellies in Cloud City, goddamit.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is not relevant to the plot of the show but Venus is so much loving easier to colonize than Mars.

You just have to live in floating aerostats…which is loving rad. We could have had Ed fighting carnivorous sky jellies in Cloud City, goddamit.

Yes I too want to live on a world described in that article as “in many ways…the hell planet.”

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Marsupial Ape posted:

They wouldn't last two seconds before one of the main characters finds out a terrible personal secret, hulks out and destroys the controls, and the whole floating base falls onto the planet and they all melt to death.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Beefeater1980 posted:

Yes I too want to live on a world described in that article as “in many ways…the hell planet.”

Hey. Nearly 1G of gravity and deep enough in the atmosphere to be protected from cosmic radiation. You can raise non-mutant space babies in that.

I love the whole idea of it: massive sphere shaped aerostat colonies, using zeppelins to travel between them, it’s all so retro-futuristic and completely viable. Schlocky but practical, not unlike solar sails.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JazzFlight posted:

the whole floating base falls onto the planet and they all melt to death.

So you're saying, we could stick the politics storyline in there.....

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Wolfenstein already did it

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ok I've got a theory on where Will Tyler (the gay astronaut) is going in the story.

Assuming they do a similar thing to Apollo Soyuz, where the symbolic mission was enough to change the world, I think he is going to be a similar figure for gay rights. Someone is going to need a blood transfusion and he is the only match, leading to them all learning a valuable and cheesy lesson about all humans being the same.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Ok I've got a theory on where Will Tyler (the gay astronaut) is going in the story.

Assuming they do a similar thing to Apollo Soyuz, where the symbolic mission was enough to change the world, I think he is going to be a similar figure for gay rights. Someone is going to need a blood transfusion and he is the only match, leading to them all learning a valuable and cheesy lesson about all humans being the same.

Yeah, seems likely. He's definitely going to win the world over somehow. Maybe he dies heroically saving the crew or something, if the writers aren't smart enough to avoid the "bury your gays" trope.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Beefeater1980 posted:

Bad new for you op

There's a white cheddar Cheeto in the white house

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Ed will need blood, and Danny's a match but its too toxic, so he has to fly and get the other guy.

Writers credit please.

(Also, I hope I'm wrong and the show remains unpredictable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the one guy in the North Korean space probe finally lands and digs the Helios survivors out of the rubble