Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I suspect it won't ship until Thursday or Friday.

I'll be lucky to have it by next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Very annoyed you can't level back down. I don't know why they'd remove that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Getting confused at whether people be talking about the leaked game or if this was revealed somewhere and they're reacting to that.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
GameXplain covered it 2 weeks ago

https://youtu.be/kxWooBZiNqc

You can level up at campsites, but not back down

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
30 hours in. No actual spoilers but I will spoil my opinions anyways

I like it more than XC2 for sure. I still can't help but feel someone is bad at math down at the monolith soft offices though, however, because enemy power level jumps all over the place (on hard). I've fought bosses 2 levels higher than me that i've wasted, and uniques/bosses 5 levels lower than me that were still a nightmare. Combat in these games has always felt kinda weird and secondary to exploration and story, but it feels like there is so much lost potential here in actually making better combat.

Also, i've never once spent any gold and have capped at 99/99 ether, so I hope there is actually an outlet to use those things later.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shyfted One posted:

You can level up at campsites, but not back down

Yeah, I just don't understand why. I assume it's going to be a NG+ feature like it was in 2, but I dunno why'd they mage it NG in DE and then back away from that. It's such a major QOL improvement.

BabyRyoga posted:

30 hours in. No actual spoilers but I will spoil my opinions anyways

I like it more than XC2 for sure. I still can't help but feel someone is bad at math down at the monolith soft offices though, however, because enemy power level jumps all over the place (on hard). I've fought bosses 2 levels higher than me that i've wasted, and uniques/bosses 5 levels lower than me that were still a nightmare. Combat in these games has always felt kinda weird and secondary to exploration and story, but it feels like there is so much lost potential here in actually making better combat.

Also, i've never once spent any gold and have capped at 99/99 ether, so I hope there is actually an outlet to use those things later.

About the difficulty, have you actually been able to play through the whole game on hard so far? I got to the first mandatory mini boss boss in chapter 1 and couldn't figure out how I would progress without grinding levels. Normal has, so far, felt pretty well balanced.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Me going through the day trying not to think about how there are people playing Xenoblade 3

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, I just don't understand why. I assume it's going to be a NG+ feature like it was in 2, but I dunno why'd they mage it NG in DE and then back away from that. It's such a major QOL improvement.

About the difficulty, have you actually been able to play through the whole game on hard so far? I got to the first mandatory mini boss boss in chapter 1 and couldn't figure out how I would progress without grinding levels. Normal has, so far, felt pretty well balanced.

Yeah, I ran into the same-ish problem at that boss. The one with the fire debuff, right? I got there and died a few times. I think when I did beat it (on hard) I was one level higher, and it took like 2 or 3 tries to get lucky and squeeze by. Most bosses I have been able to just barely beat within 2 levels either above or below the boss level, but there were two in ch. 3 where I needed to be many levels higher.

Grinding isn't really an issue though, I have like 8 levels banked in bonus exp that I haven't used because I actually want to try and face stuff at close to equal level. I only pump them into my chars when it seems like I will be stuck.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

when rex said "i love you and all you guys" he wasn't kidding

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Condiv posted:

it was canon all along from the ng+ clear screens!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Sleng Teng posted:

it was canon all along from the ng+ clear screens!

Xenoblade 2 Spoilers: Also there's a post-battle dialogue with Rex/Nia after it's revealed that' she's a flesh eater where he realizes what she actually meant, and when he tries to talk to her about it she gets embarassed and says that can discuss it later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a_WkdR2wsk

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Lol

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

XBC3 spoilers re - character classes and stuff, about 10 hours in, nothing story related there are 23 goddamn classes in this game

edit: its also really cool kinda just exploring the world with 6 party members all running around. i really love this game so far.

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 25, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Xenoblade 3 is a weeb ride

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

Xenoblade 2 spoilers
https://youtu.be/adBbxTGjoLY

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

queeb posted:

XBC3 spoilers re - character classes and stuff, about 10 hours in, nothing story related there are 23 goddamn classes in this game

edit: its also really cool kinda just exploring the world with 6 party members all running around. i really love this game so far.

I thought it was really weird that the game just shows you all of the classes once you get the first hero. I dunno why they'd do that unless they were planning on throwing in a curve ball or something later on.

Also yeah they did a really good job with the party members in this one. They move like they're walking as a group with the lead character, rather than just following them. The random dialogue and little idle animations are good too. If you stop when Mio has her random incidental dialogue about "writing this down in her journal" she'll actually pull it out and jot some things down. The physics also make a lot of the characters and outfits just kind of neat to look at when they're running around.

3 just has a lot of really nice little touches.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does Xenoblade 3 have characters from the first and second games?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

queeb posted:

I am really excited about this. Six character party is such a cool idea to me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The two queens of each respective country is a masked silver-haired woman with wings on her head voiced by Melia's voice actress and a masked silver-haired catgirl voiced by Nia's voice actress.

But uh there's been no officially confirmed character appearances, no.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

If you really want to know:

SPOILER:

Yes, as the poster above mentioned Melia and Nia are around and part of the narrative, and become temporary party members at the end of the game. There are other incidental references to XC 1 and 2 throughout, although they are often pretty oblique references (e.g. landmarks). The biggest inclusions come very late in the story and most of the game focuses on the new crew, as is pretty traditional. For my 15 hours so far other than seeing the still obfuscated (but very obvious) queens in cutscenes, there’s not much cross-pollination.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you really want to know:

SPOILER:

Yes, as the poster above mentioned Melia and Nia are around and part of the narrative, and become temporary party members at the end of the game. There are other incidental references to XC 1 and 2 throughout, although they are often pretty oblique references (e.g. landmarks). The biggest inclusions come very late in the story and most of the game focuses on the new crew, as is pretty traditional. For my 15 hours so far other than seeing the still obfuscated (but very obvious) queens in cutscenes, there’s not much cross-pollination.

Any XCX references?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Any XCX references?

X has been consigned to the dustbin of history, alongside your Wii U Tablet.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
For people with the game: Can you hear dialog in cutscenes well this time around, or will I have to drop the BGM volume a couple ticks like in 2?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm pretty sure at this point that the special edition preorders won't come until a while after the release date, since it's still listed as "Processing" on the website and the shipping is supposed to be 4-9 days. Looks like my prediction of "they won't ship until a day before release date (or maybe even release date itself)" will end up being true.

Might try this modded Switch thing, since apparently my Switch is one of the serial numbers that it's possible for (apparently this also increases my Switch's resale value, which is nice).

I said come in! posted:

I am really excited about this. Six character party is such a cool idea to me.

I'm looking forward to the thing from the preview content where the party members will actually comment as you're walking around without needing to switch to a cutscene.

VanillaGorilla posted:

X has been consigned to the dustbin of history, alongside your Wii U Tablet.

I'll be extremely surprised if the people who think that an X remake (or even more bizarre, a sequel) is imminent end up being correct. It just strikes me as extreme wishful thinking caused partially by people being under the illusion that there's some massive demand for it due to many of the most vocal fans wanting it. The best evidence people seem to have is "Elma was a DLC character in XC2" and "Takahashi said he'd like to do it" (immediately followed by commenting that it would be difficult on the Switch, which is basically "explicitly stating it's not going to happen" in Japanese PR language).

It'd be nice if it happens since X is great, but it just seems incredibly unlikely.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 25, 2022

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Toad King posted:

For people with the game: Can you hear dialog in cutscenes well this time around, or will I have to drop the BGM volume a couple ticks like in 2?

The audio mixing seems fine, but the real dogshit cutscenes from X didn't show up until like half way through the game so who knows.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

The audio mixing seems fine, but the real dogshit cutscenes from X didn't show up until like half way through the game so who knows.

Nah, X has super bad mixing very early on. Like that one cutscene I linked, which is from one of the beginning cutscenes explaining the pseudo-MMO raid boss stuff.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, X has super bad mixing very early on. Like that one cutscene I linked, which is from one of the beginning cutscenes explaining the pseudo-MMO raid boss stuff.

It's bad throughout, but even by its own low standards there are stand out examples of terrible mixing and I think that the most infamous one is a ways into the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I made the spoiler thread, please post your spoilers over there:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008241

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there an auto battle mode?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there an auto battle mode?

yea

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How does the auto battle in this work?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I said come in! posted:

How does the auto battle in this work?

Press a button and the party member AI takes over the character you're controlling. It doesn't work in boss fights, and I don't know if it will do chain attacks or anything like that since I've never used it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I gave the switch to my friend and he beat level three of tiger tiger but even agreed it was a bit janky, and he likes those kind of games

At least it's not just me

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Terper posted:

Me going through the day trying not to think about how there are people playing Xenoblade 3

I absolutely love that third one (Smug Mio?)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Can someone who’s playing confirm/deny that characters have preferred roles/classes or if everyone is equally effective with any class?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Tabletops posted:

Can someone who’s playing confirm/deny that characters have preferred roles/classes or if everyone is equally effective with any class?

Characters have a letter grade (S-D) with classes that indicates their affinity. From what I can tell, that determines how long they have to be playing alongside someone who uses the class before they can equip it, but not how good they actually are at using / progressing it.

It does seem like some characters are intended to be in certain “roles” narratively, although it doesn’t really play out cleanly mechanically.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tabletops posted:

Each character appears to have unique, individual base stats for each class. There's not an absolutely huge difference in every instance, but there's a bit of one in others.

e: did not do a good job of checking the first time.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Characters have a letter grade (S-D) with classes that indicates their affinity. From what I can tell, that determines how long they have to be playing alongside someone who uses the class before they can equip it, but not how good they actually are at using / progressing it.

It affects how many class points they gain, so it does determine progression.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 25, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
thats unfortunate! was hoping it'd be completely agnostic.

thanks guys

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Tabletops posted:

thats unfortunate! was hoping it'd be completely agnostic.

thanks guys

I don’t think it’s a massive gap, if it helps. I’ve had characters learning D rank classes early on and it wasn’t like abysmally slow or anything. There’s also a mechanic that allows you to buy class levels with a fairly common currency (although it’s used for several things so there’s some cost/benefit that you have to assess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I haven't paid attention to stat changes when comparing classes on different characters, but the game definitely wants you to use a variety of roles on every character. When you get the heroes that pass on classes to your party, the classes always start off available to one character only, so you'll need to put that character in that role to master the class and pass it on to others.