Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaeed should've been the one to say "I have an important mission for you, but only if you pay for the DLC" in the base game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I don't know the particular video, but that sounds a lot like Noah Caldwell-Gervais

I'm fairly confident it's his Forza Horizon 5 vid. Noah's a big car buff in general and has done a few really, really excellent travelogues that have gone under the radar compared to his more mainstream video game stuff. Atomic Pilgrimage is my favorite of his, just because it covers such a huge expanse of Americana, and because it really lets him flex his writing muscles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Waffleman_ posted:

Also EXTREMELY lol that they have a whole dramatic zoom in for Aria saying the first gently caress in the series.

Yeah, we all know it’s great.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Nah I don't think it was those. I'm not even sure if it was for a video game or for a movie. I just remember that it was some video essay that was over 40 minutes long and regardless of whatever the main topic of discussion was, it eventually cut to footage of the video creator driving through some suburbs. He talked about how houses like those were the norm but that in the current market you just can't reasonably afford to buy a house and that he just feels so guilty spending money on anything more than the bare minimum, even going as far as feeling guilty over treating himself to fast food.

That's why I don't think I'll find the video game. I can't remember the original subject matter, only that it was some long vid (but not absurdly long) about a game or movie (but most likely a game) that eventually shifted into discussion of the generational divide in wealth, opportunity, economy, and how something as small as fast food is a luxury and it's near impossible to actually be able to buy a nice little house in the suburbs.

e: lmao ok I remembered it and it wasn't even about a video game, it was about the movie the lighthouse. I wonder how inaccurate the rest of the stuff I "remembered" about it was.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 25, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

FirstAidKite posted:

Nah I don't think it was those. I'm not even sure if it was for a video game or for a movie. I just remember that it was some video essay that was over 40 minutes long and regardless of whatever the main topic of discussion was, it eventually cut to footage of the video creator driving through some suburbs. He talked about how houses like those were the norm but that in the current market you just can't reasonably afford to buy a house and that he just feels so guilty spending money on anything more than the bare minimum, even going as far as feeling guilty over treating himself to fast food.

That's why I don't think I'll find the video game. I can't remember the original subject matter, only that it was some long vid (but not absurdly long) about a game or movie (but most likely a game) that eventually shifted into discussion of the generational divide in wealth, opportunity, economy, and how something as small as fast food is a luxury and it's near impossible to actually be able to buy a nice little house in the suburbs.

i'm terrified of the future and just try (and largely fail) to not think about it. owning a house is a complete fantasy for me. the pc i bought a few months ago has been a joy both as a source of entertainment and as a new hobby, and a distraction from other problems. but i feel guilty every day about spending the money on something frivolous. case in point, i helped my brother out with some unexpected medical bills recently. if the pc was cash i'd have a bit more left over.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's finally in a video game... (dinkum)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Australia needs to be stopped

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

what about the "hundreds and thousands"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There are better uses for both Bread and Sugar

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

add an egg and make french toast

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:yeah:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Played the cat game

Cute and fun but not really groundbreaking or memorable beyond you being a cat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was hoping it would be like a Untitled goose game 2: cat game

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

add an egg and make french toast

Alternatively you could just add some rum and make bread pudding.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

I was hoping it would be like a Untitled goose game 2: cat game

I agree with the reviewers who said the least believable thing is that a cat would spontaneously choose to help

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Those reviewers are wrong because cats can and will be very helpful so long as they are cared for and given proper respect.

I know this because most of our cats have some kind of job or task they perform and do fairly well at.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Also the cat in stray is just doing mischief that happens to align with helping some robots

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sorry for the mopey post earlier

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
No need to apologize. Did you feel any better typing it all out? Even a little is still a victory.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol no, worse, unfortunately. but i should shut up.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This is the other cat game I've been keeping an eye on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB6eEYtfVsw

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

This is the other cat game I've been keeping an eye on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB6eEYtfVsw

This game looks very cute. I have been keeping an eye on it. What I would love to have is the world of Stray, mixed with this game. Strays graphics in a gigantic open world cyberpunk city, and your objective is to just get from one end of the city to other, and its a big puzzle adventure because you're a cat, and it's just all about walking around and exploring.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1551437304832483328?s=21&t=OeCsQUisTBQVxOaSMx_mgw

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

it's finally in a video game... (dinkum)

and soon, the world

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

important announcement everyone: my dog is pregnant

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Hell yeah

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Rinkles posted:

How did people ever tolerate 30 fps, low fov (brown grey) shooters?

Resistance Fall of Man feels so awful to play. Besides the above, the camera controls are off, and for some reason closer aiming is a toggle and crouching isn't.

And look at this color palette.

It's also very linear. Corridor after thinly disguised corridor. The game ticks off all the stereotypes off the 7th gen shooter checklist.

I remember this game reviewing well, but I'm not seeing why.

drat i played that like 5-8 years ago, bought it for like £5 in CEX, and i remember it being bad. for some reason i bothered going through the entire thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Congratulations on being a grandma! I think that’s how it works with pets at least.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

Congratulations on being a grandma! I think that’s how it works with pets at least.

That's going to be my next username

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

How did people ever tolerate 30 fps, low fov (brown grey) shooters?

Resistance Fall of Man feels so awful to play. Besides the above, the camera controls are off, and for some reason closer aiming is a toggle and crouching isn't.

And look at this color palette.

It's also very linear. Corridor after thinly disguised corridor. The game ticks off all the stereotypes off the 7th gen shooter checklist.

I remember this game reviewing well, but I'm not seeing why.

1) Had, for the time, a varied and interesting weapon roster and health mechanic
2) Was a PS3 game when there was nothing on it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Woohoo for (soon-to-be) pups! :woop:

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Spent the last few days playing through the majority of Fire Emblem 3 Houses and I really enjoyed it! The main story wasn't anything overly special but the relationships between the characters really carried the game a lot and I enjoyed watching them all grow.
Feel like I was a little underprepared for the final fight and got through it after chipping away at the boss after many many turns, I was playing on the easiest difficult since I'm really pretty terrible at strategy games.

Might go through another route in the future but for now I'm happy where I left it and I'll probably play 3 Hopes soon! :D

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m playing that Live A Live game, it’s a cool old school JRPG. I was a caveman kid who saved his girlfriend from a giant dinosaur and then a cowboy who saved a small town from a horse. Now I’m gonna be a martial arts grandmaster looking for disciples. More JRPGs should really just be weirdass vignettes like this (and do it well, unlike Octopath Traveler).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm still kind of surprised the live a live remake exists but it's really good, i didn't play anything else all weekend

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I never played it, but I was pretty into the fan translation scene for a while so I read about it a lot. I still refuse to accept that it's pronounced Live A Live and not Live A Live.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Looper posted:

I'm still kind of surprised the live a live remake exists but it's really good, i didn't play anything else all weekend

It's very surreal for me that it's even a thing but i'm glad it exists and that it is as good as it is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never played the SNES version of Live A Live but I've been aware of that game's existence since like high school, so it's cool to finally play it. I've finished three stories so far (Imperial China, Modern Day, Prehistory) and I'm having a great time.

"Megalomania" is such a hype boss theme

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The ninja chapter was really tedious but otherwise I am having a good time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I had a pretty splendid time gaming yesterday. Finished Kentucky Route Zero, which is definitely a wistful vibe turned into a fictive experience and requires you to be so accepting for what kind of laconic pacing and descriptive wall it will build. If you are in the right frame of mind it is iconic.

Then I started Majora's Mask and all the memories of how to play Ocarina of Time came flooding back. Only this time it does not seem to be a grand epic, but a self contained adventure to help a bullied child who has accidentally set the moon on a course with Clocktown while looping time..

I knew nothing going in aside from having seen the picture of the moon before and the title cards saying Dawn of the Day.

Already the game is giving me Dark Souls 2 vibes, which is awesome as that is my favourite Dark Souls game. It is a sequel that could have been the original, but more (like DS and OoT) but instead they decided to not rest on laurels and do their own thing in the same style (DS2 and now Majora's Mask).

I am delighted to be enjoying myself so thoroughly :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's still pretty epic considering what you have to get up to to accomplish that. It's also got my favorite area in all of Zelda Ikana

I have to catch up on those KR0 streams, the first two were fun but intentionally clicking on a video with a five-hour runtime is intimidating :/