Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What version of MM are you playing VG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

What version of MM are you playing VG?

The version on NESflix - NTSC one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

Noooo I wanted to be an archer! I don't wanna be spoony!! :cry:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm glad he's streaming so he was encouraged to play the good version and not the 3DS one.

:troll:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm glad he's streaming so he was encouraged to play the good version and not the 3DS one.

:troll:

Is the 3DS one different? Would not even have a clue how to stream a 3DS luckily.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rarity posted:

FF14:

Embrace the spoon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

FF14:

yeah i wish archer and bard were separate, don't really get the connection there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VideoGames posted:

Is the 3DS one different? Would not even have a clue how to stream a 3DS luckily.

There are differences, some major. A couple of the dungeon bosses got significantly reworked. One of the character transformations was made a lot less fun for no good reason. The quest guide is brand new and significantly more informative than the original and there are now diegetic hints

There's nothing really wrong with the original, though, especially with a ton of people ready to give advice

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh if it’s in the context of emulation the 3DS version seems definite insofar as the bad parts of the remaster were fixed by fans already. Man, now that I went through the trouble of home brewing my 3DS i need to replay MM…

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Yeah they changed the bosses for the worse imo. They also made the bombers notebook more extensive and give more hints which is fine. I just prefer the classic version.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

There are a few small changes that, IMO, make the game a bit more limiting in how you approach various situations. I think it was done to try and help everyone through a slightly more guided experience but the original game was fine already with that stuff.

e: putting this in spoilers so don't click this VG but also this is just talking about some tiny graphics/sidequest changes

I like the original garo mask more than the new one even if the new one's design makes more sense. The 3DS version giving the circus leader's mask a more tangible reward was nice too.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 25, 2022

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

haveblue posted:

The quest guide is brand new and significantly more informative than the original and there are now diegetic hints

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah they changed the bosses for the worse imo. They also made the bombers notebook more extensive and give more hints which is fine. I just prefer the classic version.

In this case I am exceptionally happy to have the older version. The best part of Outer Wilds was figuring stuff out. I like to be stumped and figure out things. I like to feel smart and having way less to go on makes figuring it out much sweeter :D

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Looper posted:

yeah i wish archer and bard were separate, don't really get the connection there

Agreed. There should be a bard that's full on playing harps and a ranger class that leans more into using a bow.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The gaming news aggregator app I've been using has been down since last night, with their website giving a 504 error. Anyone have recs?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rarity posted:

FF14:

Lol that was my response

It's mostly still just shooting stuff but you occasionally get to power stuff up by playing a song

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Looper posted:

You see, both archers and bards pluck at strings. (Also I think Bards in FF were also able to use bows besides harps?)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Back when it looked like other classes might get two jobs like Arcanist eventually, I think it was the general assumption that Archer would get Ranger or Sniper or something as an alternative to Bard. That never happened for a bunch of reasons, though.

Archer and Rogue are the two classes where I most often see players disappointed with what the class's eventual job is because they're both pretty noticeable flavor/aesthetic changes. I know several people who really wanted to be a Thief instead of a Ninja.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Harrow posted:

Back when it looked like other classes might get two jobs like Arcanist eventually, I think it was the general assumption that Archer would get Ranger or Sniper or something as an alternative to Bard. That never happened for a bunch of reasons, though.

Archer and Rogue are the two classes where I most often see players disappointed with what the class's eventual job is because they're both pretty noticeable flavor/aesthetic changes. I know several people who really wanted to be a Thief instead of a Ninja.

Yuuuup Ninja remains the one job I haven't played at all. I mean I want the Amaro so I will one day but I really would have liked a Rogue job.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The gaming news aggregator app I've been using has been down since last night, with their website giving a 504 error. Anyone have recs?

When I woke up this morning I licked my finger and stuck it in the air. That's how I knew Tactics Ogre had leaked.

follow Wario64 and Nibel on Twitter, that's all you need

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Includes more of Squares really bad pixel smoothing, but otherwise I am excited for this release.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

I said come in! posted:

Includes more of Squares really bad pixel smoothing, but otherwise I am excited for this release.

Hopefully they give FFT the same full voice acting treatment.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Rarity posted:

FF14:

Nope, mandatory singing lessons for you now. Toot toot, motherfucker.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can't wait to get rich on those FFT NFTs

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

Ninja feels like a pretty reasonable jump from Rogue to me. Bard is kinda nuts though, surprise, you're a pseudo-support now!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Ninja feels like a pretty reasonable jump from Rogue to me. Bard is kinda nuts though, surprise, you're a pseudo-support now!

Gameplay-wise, sure, but not flavor-wise. Rogue is definitely more like a classic Final Fantasy Thief, while Ninjas get a bunch of ninjutsu magic that someone might not be interested in if they just wanted to be a stabby rogue.

It's pretty standard in FF games for Thief to promote to Ninja, though (hell, that's how the very first FF game goes) so it's less out of nowhere. Still, I can understand some people being disappointed that they don't get to keep being a swashbuckling rogue anymore once they get their job stone.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

wuggles posted:

When I woke up this morning I licked my finger and stuck it in the air. That's how I knew Tactics Ogre had leaked.

follow Wario64 and Nibel on Twitter, that's all you need

Appreciate it! Always cool to get new Twitter leads.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Harrow posted:

I know several people who really wanted to be a Thief instead of a Ninja.

Oh no :negative:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Becoming a ninja gives you new running and jumping animations

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If it helps, all of the other classes remain pretty thematically consistent with their jobs! It's just Archer and Rogue that have a big aesthetic/thematic change when they get their job stones. Everyone else is just what you were already doing, but fancier. Well I guess Lancer picks up sick jumps when you get the Dragoon job stone but I think anyone who picked Lancer was hoping for sick jumps.

And then the new jobs added after ARR don't have base classes at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ninja and Bard are cooler anyway. Don't sneer at the power of music and anime magic.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ninja rules

BONG BONG BONG

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rarity posted:

FF14:

Embrace the spoon. One of us one of us

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

Welp bye Foulques :smith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But Sylphie found her mojo :3:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rarity posted:

FF14:

the lancer questline is still one of the funniest class questlines from ARR because of how the guildmaster drops the whole, "oh yeah, i guess foulques is upset because everyone here was outrageously, stupendously racist to him" tidbit at like the last possible second after he's been antagonizing you for seemingly no reason for 25 levels

it's like they forgot to give him a motivation and then had to hastily scribble in a tragic backstory in the margins

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

FF14:

That's all Foulques lol

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Bleh, my PS4 and TV shut themselves off and now my PS4 is in safe mode asking me to reinstall an update file. This better not have wiped it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I pray for your PS4.

I have been on holiday the last few days and I got a hankering to play Elden Ring ng+ and somehow I have played for an extra 19 hours. I put on the lightest armour, gave myself the biggest sore seal, the mimic mask and no shields and wanted to see if I still had it.

Not only have I been obliterating everything but I have the strongest desire to replay Dark Souls 2. Wild moments.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
It magically fixed itself. It didn't read the USB stick I plugged in, restarted and everything is fine. Back to Destiny 2

Bloody thing should never scare me like that again. l can't afford another PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I guess no one would care since PS5s can play PS4 games but I wonder how reliable the 4 will end up being in the long run. PS1 seems fine, PS2 fats have bad lasers but are fine otherwise, PS3 fat has an overheating problem but the Slim and Super Slim are fine. Will PS4s cook themselves to death eventually?