Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Bush Hates: his nen aura doubles everytime he speaks an uncomfortable truth at an inopportune time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

The new villain of the 2025 HxH original movie in which Gon gets his nen back by teaming up with Ziggy Stardust to fight Gyro and Kanye West in Meteor City.

I mean, I'd watch it

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

is Level E worth a read?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

frajaq posted:

is Level E worth a read?

Yes!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah i liked it

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Tunicate posted:

I mean, I'd watch it

Kanye x Hisoka

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

frajaq posted:

is Level E worth a read?

There’s an anime that I enjoyed quite a lot as well

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level E is weird but a lot of fun.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tunicate posted:

I mean, I'd watch it

Uninspired that it just described Gon's ability from the actual story, except with a much smaller downside

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I mean, I'd watch it

When you put it like this? I'd watch it with a strong drink

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

ImpAtom posted:

Level E is weird but a lot of fun.

Picked it up because of this thread, it is hilarious. Togashi really is something else, he loves stories and it shows. Thanks!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alrighty, so I picked up vol 1 of the manga, and also want to watch the 2011 series. Hear that sticks closer to the manga. But also heard about it mostly skipping the first chapter, and not meeting a character until 70 eps later or something like that.

So I guess long story short, going off the OP this thread digs the 2011 show, how do you feel it compares to the early manga? If I read a bit of the manga (just curious to see a bit of that author's work), then watch the show, will it feel like they're pretty different? And does anybody prefer the manga? And side note, I saw that at least later on Viz censors some violence in the manga with black bars. And I hear the manga is more violent than the anime as well. Also there's always the older anime.

Just impressive to see such a long-running work, gotta give props.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Other posters may disagree but honestly just watch the 2011 then supplement with other media as your superfandom suits you. The manga has more stuff and a really cool style and almost psychadelic flow at times, but honestly I think it's easier to appreciate if you already know the story. The 1999 anime also has more stuff and retells things from a different style and mood.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, and my plan it mostly to do that. But, like the posts in the previous pages show what a hero Togashi is, I feel an obligation to read the first volume of the manga first. At least the first chapter. Plus having heard how different it started, with that one character omitted etc.

I dig that it seems the path is watching the anime then picking up where it leaves off with the manga. Love a good adaptation. Just pretty curious about how they compare early on and whatnot.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The OP's a bit dated (and a little misleading; plenty of people got into the manga first, and the old anime has its fans and defenders, in stark defiance of my flippant summary), but I enjoyed both the manga and the 2011 show (and the Hunter Exam is still my favorite arc in the series). The manga's art is deceptively simple at a glance, but highly legible and expressive with a lot of personality and some great blocking; and Togashi knows when he needs to go hard, and dials up the detail accordingly. It's rough at times, but mostly in the ways you'd expect for a serial story still finding its footing: characters sharpen or soften or shift over time. In that sense the anime's more polished and consistent, but in the ways you'd expect a massive corporate project with established character designs already prepared. There's the colors as well, but that's simple preference. Some scenes look better in color, some scenes look better in black and white.

The anime cuts a pretty important character from the first chapter, who appears in a flashback (but shows up later), but it's never felt like a deep cut to me. It's a good scene in the manga, and tells us a little bit more about Gon and why he wants to be a hunter, but I feel like the anime still effectively communicates the gist of it in favor of introducing all three of the (four) main characters; and when the cut character shows up later, they set up their relationship to Gon just fine. If you're reading the manga anyway, you'll get everything, but when people complain about the anime "Ruining" the first episode, I can't say I'd agree.

The manga starts off pretty similarly to One Piece in tone and style, hinting at a world of exaggerated intrigue, only to peel back the curtain and reveal its darker nature. The 2011 anime does likewise, but it's also where proponents of the older adaptation tend to perk up their ears. The 1999 series wears its intentions a little more boldly with a moodier atmosphere and starker artwork (and other little tweaks). Some people prefer this version, and while I'm not one of them, I can see the appeal (and for some scenes, it's perfect).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnqGBBIEZ8M

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The first chapter character is whatever, but I will never forgive them for cutting the Sushi test.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool, appreciate the info there. And the Crispin Glover in the OP is quality.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

The first chapter character is whatever, but I will never forgive them for cutting the Sushi test.

Sushi test getting cut doesn’t seem like a noticeable thing until you read the manga and go “huh yeah, this made way more sense originally”. Plus it sort of doesn’t have an equivalent instance of Hanzo being a loving dope, which, um, was kinda important as selling him as a borderline comic relief character for the brutal whiplash at the end of the exams

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also, since I posted the 1999 and 2011 versions, here's the manga version:

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Personally, I’d read chapter 1 and then jump to the 2011 anime.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1551402850256707586

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bad Seafood posted:

Also, since I posted the 1999 and 2011 versions, here's the manga version:

I thought the 1999 reaction shot of Killua's face before he crushes the heart looked weird, I'd completely forgotten that for that one panel in the manga he looks like he's drawn by Yoshitaka Amano.

I still feel like having the heart in a bag in 2011 was a weird choice (There's not enough shirt missing for it to be that), but giving it back at the end was a better character moment for how Killua wound up than the original crushing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Also all the little details like Killua's footsteps being quieter than everyone else's, or not making a sound at all, unless he's distressed.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dareon posted:

I still feel like having the heart in a bag in 2011 was a weird choice (There's not enough shirt missing for it to be that), but giving it back at the end was a better character moment for how Killua wound up than the original crushing.

The series was clearly still trying to find itself in the beginning, they changed Hisoka cutting of a man's arms to them just disintegrating into flowers as well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
IIRC they started in an earlier timeslot and had to deal with relatively strict broadcasting censorship, but later got moved to a later timeslot and were allowed to be more gruesome. Which is also why they cut out Kite in episode 1: they assumed they would never get to animate the Chimera Ant arc anyway so it wouldn't matter.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
i've always thought giving the heart back was so much better of a moment than just crushing it tbh

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dareon posted:

I thought the 1999 reaction shot of Killua's face before he crushes the heart looked weird, I'd completely forgotten that for that one panel in the manga he looks like he's drawn by Yoshitaka Amano.

The 2011 anime had the benefit of being able to use the designs and style that Togashi settled on towards the second half of the series. Kalluto's glow up in the manga is something to behold.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I also liked him giving back the heart, though I appreciate the composition of the page where he doesn't. I just wish they got to show the heart, but it is what it is.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So when are we getting Hunter / Hunter

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

IIRC they started in an earlier timeslot and had to deal with relatively strict broadcasting censorship, but later got moved to a later timeslot and were allowed to be more gruesome. Which is also why they cut out Kite in episode 1: they assumed they would never get to animate the Chimera Ant arc anyway so it wouldn't matter.

They started in an earlier time slot, but decided at some point to stop censoring stuff. They only changed time slots I think a few episodes after Ponzu got shot in the face repeatedly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So, what are the chances are that in October HxH will resume serialization? He seems to have worked on a bunch of chapters as per twitter, and it would match this exhibition.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/i/status/1554557950554939392

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lmao

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Super pro click

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Youpi never stood a chance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A guy who recently started working with us had a tab open during a work meeting with "Hunter x Hunter" on it.

This other kind of eccentric guy who sorta works with us (is just kind of involved in the informal work meeting discussions) used some strange analogy to nen when talking about some emacs ontology system* and linked to a clip of Netero fighting Meruem.

* one of the most confusing things I've ever heard; he had this bizarre system of 3-letter "codes" associated with different concepts and used that to organize and browse his filesystem using an emacs plugin

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

we call that scizophrenia i think

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

drat i gotta get in at this workplace, would be great to be the normal one for once

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

we call that scizophrenia i think

I think of it more as some sort of autism-induced obsessive behavior. Just this intense compulsion to "optimize" your hand movement while typing that absolutely doesn't actually work, because a single time of loving up using the convoluted system you developed costs way more time than whatever you save from typing 3 close letters instead of 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

A guy who recently started working with us had a tab open during a work meeting with "Hunter x Hunter" on it.

This other kind of eccentric guy who sorta works with us (is just kind of involved in the informal work meeting discussions) used some strange analogy to nen when talking about some emacs ontology system* and linked to a clip of Netero fighting Meruem.

* one of the most confusing things I've ever heard; he had this bizarre system of 3-letter "codes" associated with different concepts and used that to organize and browse his filesystem using an emacs plugin

That's his nen ability, the 3-letter codes are his nen restriction.