Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHopAo_Ohy0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mitch Hedberg biopic looking good so far.

E;fb

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A bank I used to go to had an escalator and for like 3 months it was roped off with an out of order sign on it. It was bullshit.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

An escalator that can never brake isn't that scary, they don't go that fast anyway.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Push El Burrito posted:

A bank I used to go to had an escalator and for like 3 months it was roped off with an out of order sign on it. It was bullshit.

Sometimes parts are scarce.

My building has two elevators, and one broke. Parts either needed to be shipped from somewhere far away or were on back order. So for about a month I always had to tell people to get the gently caress out of the way because my pad is on the ground floor right outside the elevators. And there was always a line up.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hey, you, you're finally awake

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSkluph6EhA

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Sometimes parts are scarce.

No the problem is that it's roped off. You don't need the escalator to be running, you can just walk up it like stairs. But not if it's roped off!

(I assume and hope there is a valid safety reason they don't let people walk up escalators that are turned off, but it does seem very silly whenever I see it)

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I would think for an escalator to be 100% safe for use while not running it needs some kind of parking brake to make sure it doesn't turn into a runaway treadmill, which could also be a thing that breaks.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Lord Hawking posted:

:kimchi:
Taking me right back to my childhood here!
Those old steam shovels or excavators made me uneasy as a kid, I think due to watching The Quest aka Frog Dreaming a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0en5nEyV3fI

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Splode posted:

No the problem is that it's roped off. You don't need the escalator to be running, you can just walk up it like stairs. But not if it's roped off!

(I assume and hope there is a valid safety reason they don't let people walk up escalators that are turned off, but it does seem very silly whenever I see it)
Steps that are only slightly raised or lowered in the cycle might be considered a tripping hazard...?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Platystemon posted:

I’m surprised that the tooling even lets them make it asymmetric.

Yeah I'm amazed whatever equipment they used let them do this. Or that no one noticed or cared about the machine going "ca-chunk! ca-chunk!" as the off-centered piece was bored.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Wifi Toilet posted:

An escalator that can never brake isn't that scary, they don't go that fast anyway.

Looks pretty fast to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE2Lv-t9BHk

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Alkydere posted:

Yeah I'm amazed whatever equipment they used let them do this. Or that no one noticed or cared about the machine going "ca-chunk! ca-chunk!" as the off-centered piece was bored.

It probably started on-center and wandered. Explains why they miss by kilometers.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Catatouille trailer lookin' good.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Splode posted:

Escalators seem to be frequently not running at my closest metro station, and they aren't cordoned off unless someone is actively working on them. Don't know if they are some sort of heavy duty escalators though, seeing how they are the only way down to the metro level.

Escalator steps are a real pita to walk up if not running when you are short, the steps are juuust that much higher than normal steps.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

At first I thought the guard beams didn’t come down in front of the truck, but no, they’re down. Truck just wanted to go fast.

This is also a good video to demonstrate how long it takes a train to stop. That poor conductor, how do you trust an intersection after that? I would have to immediately classify anyone who pulls in front of the train as suicidally stupid and just hope they were alone in the vehicle

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 25, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Perhaps an extra barrier that can be lowered in the turn-left-lane would be the solution to this problem.

If there's only a relatively small light, and because of the half barrier right across the crossing, i can kinda imagine that if you aren't paying 100% attention (let's be real, that's a lot of people on the road) that you miss the light and miss the barrier on the right side of the crossing.

It is a known risk of barriers that close off only half of the crossing. Double barriers would prevent these accidents, but could perhaps cause people to feel trapped within the barriers because they don't know those barriers can be broken away easily with the force of a car, or just pushed upwards if it's a certain type.

The safest crossing is no crossing at all. My municipality is gonna invest a couple tens of millions to get rid of a very busy (4 car lanes, cycle lane, pedestrian path, and 6 to 8 trains per hour in each direction) railroad crossing and build a tunnel. It's not trivial, because every last bit of land around the train tracks is developed either with factories, houses, or the train station itself (which has a cycle/pedestrian tunnel already).

In my whole city there are only 2 level crossings. All the rest is done with cycle/pedestrian tunnels or viaducts for cars.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 25, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Howdy folks!

So we're going through and looking to reboot older, still fairly active threads. Would you all be ok with rebooting this one since the OP is about three years old? If so, can someone kindly make a new OP and get that started?

Thank you!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

LimaBiker posted:

Perhaps an extra barrier that can be lowered in the turn-left-lane would be the solution to this problem.

If there's only a relatively smal light, and because of the half barrier right across the crossing, i can kinda imagine that if you aren't paying 100% attention (let's be real, that's a lot of people on the road) that you miss the light and miss the barrier on the right side of the crossing.

It is a known risk of barriers that close off only half of the crossing. Double barriers would prevent these accidents, but could perhaps cause people to feel trapped within the barriers because they don't know those barriers can be broken away easily with the force of a car, or just pushed upwards if it's a certain type.

I never understand people making excuses for terrible drivers. You could spend $1 million on an inpenetrable fortress and some idiot would still find a way to pull out in front of a train. As they say, there's no fixing stupid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't mind as long as there is a final post with a link to the new thread!

(I've wondered why random threads hadn't updated in weeks only to find out they were closed and there's a new one and I'm dozens of posts behind because there was no final post)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Uthor posted:

I don't mind as long as there is a final post with a link to the new thread!

(I've wondered why random threads hadn't updated in weeks only to find out they were closed and there's a new one and I'm dozens of posts behind because there was no final post)

I'll make sure/edit in that there's a new thread and add the link in for people to go to

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

ChesterJT posted:

I never understand people making excuses for terrible drivers. You could spend $1 million on an inpenetrable fortress and some idiot would still find a way to pull out in front of a train. As they say, there's no fixing stupid.

There's indeed no fixing stupid, which is why the railways are trying to get rid of as many level crossings as possible and tries to make those that exist safer.

They are inherently dangerous, even in a country where getting a driver's license costs 2000 euro and takes 30 to 40 hours of training with a professional instructor it goes wrong occasionally.
Sometimes it's just some kid going to school, afraid to be late, trying to beat the train and failing. It might be stupid, but it's still a human life, and it doesn't just suck for the kid - the whole railway has to be closed off for half a day, meaning thousands of people can't get to work/get home.

If you're particularly unlucky, the train might derail too. That happened a while back when a light commuter train hit a lorry on a level crossing.

Might be stupid from the truck driver, still a thing that has consequences that stretch further than just a damaged truck. Several people in the train were injured, no idea what happened to the truck driver.
Also no idea if it was preventable. Sometimes flatbed trailers get stuck on the crossing because of a too low ground clearance.

Also happens to bigger American trains btw. This was also a collision with a truck (i assume a semi) and 3 people died.

Extra safety is a good thing. Being callous about obvious risks that can be reduced is not a great character trait.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 25, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Every time I get something in my eye and have to blink it away all I can think is that it's getting jammed in under and around my eyeball now. Thanks thread.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There's a "high speed" (just 90 MPH) rail line in my state where all the crossings have gates on both sides that completely block the road so no one can think about driving around them. They even have baby gates to block the sidewalks. Probably not a bad idea when you have to accommodate Florida Man.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
People gently caress up all the time, all day long.
Most of the time, we get away with it. Don't let that lull you into thinking you won't make mistakes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Nobody has ever "hosed up" and accidentally driven into oncoming traffic to go around the gate at a railway crossing. Having a second gate on the other side is only safer because it puts additional inconvenience on someone who is dumb enough to choose to try and beat the train.

Anyone have that video of the cyclist who goes to great lengths to pull his bike past a double gate only to have the train come by a fraction of a second before he would have been squarely in front of it?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Nobody has ever "hosed up" and accidentally driven into oncoming traffic to go around the gate at a railway crossing. Having a second gate on the other side is only safer because it puts additional inconvenience on someone who is dumb enough to choose to try and beat the train.

Anyone have that video of the cyclist who goes to great lengths to pull his bike past a double gate only to have the train come by a fraction of a second before he would have been squarely in front of it?

Is that the one where after the train takes his bike away, he throws his hand in an " Oh, COME ON!" gesture?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

The hairs behind eyes story is bullshit, your eye is not some free-floating marble in a socket. There's a protective layer called conjunctiva over the white of your eye, and it prevents objects from getting in behind (and probably other functions, ianad).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leandros posted:

The hairs behind eyes story is bullshit, your eye is not some free-floating marble in a socket. There's a protective layer called conjunctiva over the white of your eye, and it prevents objects from getting in behind (and probably other functions, ianad).

Look at this guy who doesn’t want us to use our built in stash box.

So far, thanks to this thread, I’ve managed to fit three corn nuts behind my eyes. Can’t wait til snack time.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Leandros posted:

Yeah and sometimes eyelashes go under my eyelid and I rub a bunch and then they disappear without coming out.

Maybe they're in my tear ducts, that would explain the strange confetti explosions from my eyes when a dog dies in a movie.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Leandros posted:

And yet, strange things happen

UK surgeon finds 27 missing contact lenses in woman’s eye

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leandros posted:

Yeah sure buddy. That's just what your parents told you to stop you from sticking things back in there. I have some other news for you too: Santa Claus isn't real

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

They were globbed together just under the upper eyelid, not behind the eye. The conjunctiva folds into the eyelid there.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Those weren't behind her eye, they were stuck together under the lid.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I often worried I had metal shavings behind my eyes from my redneck father's safety squint procedures when we worked on cars leading to countless instances of poo poo getting in your eyes and trying to blink it out. The first time i got an MRI they were like ".........it's probably fine"

Very stressful minute or two waiting for my eyes to potentially explode

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Maybe that's where the hair is found then :shrug:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Yeah and sometimes eyelashes go under my eyelid and I rub a bunch and then they disappear without coming out.

Maybe they're in my tear ducts, that would explain the strange confetti explosions from my eyes when a dog dies in a movie.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cf7F2RGDV89/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Savage Paramedics post of an MRI showing what happens when you rub your eyes. Use extreme caution if you decide to scroll their page, vast majority of posts are not work/mind safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Maybe that's where the hair is found then :shrug:

Hair is stored in the (eye)balls.