Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I do not like gin. I do like a gin and tonic. This second fact does not change the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ohtori Akio posted:

If you'd review my posts above, you may note my distaste for using espresso in a drink made just as effectively with instant coffee. Instant coffee is very cheap and efficient; espresso, on the other hand, is labor-intensive and expensive.

To elaborate, the centralization of espresso-based coffeeshops around milk drinks has a negative effect on the quality of espresso produced, because good espresso is unimportant in a milk drink. Why not simply make good espresso for those who like espresso, and produce milk drinks with a better-suited coffee base? The mind boggles.

Because instant coffee is disgusting even if you put some milk in it? Honestly I highly prefer espresso even though I splash some milk and sugar in it and throw it on ice in the summer.

Where are you somewhere in europe or something? I feel like no one in the US even drinks instant coffee unless they are camping or find it in a cupboard at work. I think I have had that poo poo maybe 5 times in my life it's terrible.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Coffee should taste like coffee and anything you add to it, milk or sugar or nutmeg or whatever just makes it taste gross.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't like hot drinks. I don't really understand folks that do, but i hope you all have fun with them!

Ohtori Akio posted:

You know what? I've never done the affogato. Technically that's a shot pulled over the ice cream so I'd be in the clear by my own standards. I'll give it a whirl.

It's really nice, she had it at a pub on Saturday and highly recommended it. Not my sort of thing, but nice!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If somebody isn't your child or your patient, and you care one iota about what they put into their mouth hole beyond "are they getting enough to stay alive and thrive," you're an rear end in a top hat.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Was at a hibachi joint once and this meathead dude ordered steak and he said he wanted it “raw” to which the staff laughed.

When the meats came out the dude wanted the steak raw. The staff explained they couldn’t give it to him, he caused a scene, then got the raw meat. And ate it with his hands while everyone pretended not to stare.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

People who don't have a lot going for them tend to assign social value to arbitrary things, mostly the things they consume

If you fall off the bottom of one scale you can just make another. No I have not accomplished anything of note, but take a look at how bitter the drink I consume in the morning is and I think you'll be impressed :smuggo:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Manager Hoyden posted:

People who don't have a lot going for them tend to assign social value to arbitrary things, mostly the things they consume

Almost hit 5500 hours in dota 2 go me

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

drat I wish I enjoyed anything that much

edit: honestly now that I think about it finding something you truly enjoy and leading a life that allows you to do it as much as you want is like the supreme accomplishment, as far as lifestyle goals go

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think any Dota player with 5,000 hours played would ever admit to enjoying it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
theres a lot of times i enjoy it, a lot i'm thinking "i wish this was over", on balance it feels more like an addiction than anything else

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Manager Hoyden posted:

If you fall off the bottom of one scale you can just make another. No I have not accomplished anything of note, but take a look at how bitter the drink I consume in the morning is and I think you'll be impressed :smuggo:

You can even tell the difference between this kind of person and a person who genuinely enjoys a thing for what it is

The latter will be enthusiastic both about telling you why they enjoy the thing but also be excited about other people engaging with the thing ("oh you like cappucinos?? That's awesome, where do you like to go to get one" etc.) even if they prefer it a certain way.

This is the same for steak or Warhammer or booze or whatever

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's 90F with rain and humidity today. It's miserable. The summer likers are broken and should be sent to re-education centres. The best climate is something like a seasonal variant from -25 winter to 15C summer.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

veni veni veni posted:

Because instant coffee is disgusting even if you put some milk in it? Honestly I highly prefer espresso even though I splash some milk and sugar in it and throw it on ice in the summer.

Where are you somewhere in europe or something? I feel like no one in the US even drinks instant coffee unless they are camping or find it in a cupboard at work. I think I have had that poo poo maybe 5 times in my life it's terrible.

Here's a distinct PHUO: instant coffee is better than anything that comes out of a starbucks espresso machine. If you must sbux (I do somewhat often for their bathrooms), you're much better served with the cold brew - an appropriate use of severely over-roasted beans.

I am an American.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

theres a lot of times i enjoy it, a lot i'm thinking "i wish this was over", on balance it feels more like an addiction than anything else

I had a similar thought, albeit around 1200 hours. I quit for good. It's been a positive change.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Cafe Legal instant coffee is really good but you have to use like twice the recommended amount and put a dash of salt in as well

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't drink instant coffee myself but I do keep a tin around for baking since a surprising number of cake and brownie recipes call for it.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

I don't drink instant coffee myself but I do keep a tin around for baking since a surprising number of cake and brownie recipes call for it.

It's the perfect adjunct to chocolate in a very sweet dish.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Ohtori Akio posted:

It's the perfect adjunct to chocolate in a very sweet dish.

100% - it strengthens the chocolate flavor in most brownies and cakes and makes them super decadent.

Phuo: most cakes from American recipes are too sweet (I am American)

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Phuo: most American recipes are sickeningly, upsettingly sweet (I am American)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I always see that on these dead forums and nowhere else. What in the world are you people eating that is so sweet? Is there a secret section of the store where everything is sweet and you have to show proof you paid your ten bux to get in?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

veni veni veni posted:

Just because you like something mixed with something else doesn't mean you don't like it. I don't drink soy sauce out of the bottle but I also feel pretty confident in saying I like soy sauce. I don't even know why I am humoring a take this stupid after you just called doing shots of Gin "absolute truth" lmao

Doing shots of gin may not be absolut truth, but doing shots of vodka is

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

I always see that on these dead forums and nowhere else. What in the world are you people eating that is so sweet? Is there a secret section of the store where everything is sweet and you have to show proof you paid your ten bux to get in?

It’s a common food snob opinion. Sweet foods are low class.

Also mayo is disgusting but those people love to eat stuff slathered in aioli.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Jul 25, 2022

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I like Mayo. I think I’d like miracle whip even more, but we don’t have it here.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

silence_kit posted:

Nah it's not a low class thing. A lot of American food is over sweet, and sometimes im down for thay. My personal preference though is enjoying the flavor of the different ingredients be it chocolate or fruit, as opposed to having my sweet receptors blown out from an extra cup of white sugar. A little goes a long way!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

silence_kit posted:

It's also still just baffling and not true tho. It's one of those can you believe how dumb everyone is in America things people love to say, obvious connotation being they are one the good ones. One of the worldly ones. They even went to Cancún once so they know that abuelita selling tamales door-to-door is doing mexican food wrong. Like seriously, post me a US cake recipe and a french cake recipe where the US one is just ludicrously oversweetened for no reason except the idiot tastes of the fat masses of the bad place.

It's like how people will be all "you can't believe it if you aren't murrican, but you can't even find bread that isn't sweetened."

Yes, you can. You can find it at walmart for the same price as most of the other one-tier-up sliced processed packaged bread options in the deep fuckin south. Are you stupid or lying??

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

sephiRoth IRA posted:

A lot of American food is over sweet

Okay, specifically what though? I am hearing that people are very hung up on the existence of wonder bread, but not much else

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I feel like the amount of sodium in American diets is a bigger issue than sweetness but I have no point of comparison.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's also still just baffling and not true tho. It's one of those can you believe how dumb everyone is in America things people love to say, obvious connotation being they are one the good ones. One of the worldly ones. They even went to Cancún once so they know that abuelita selling tamales door-to-door is doing mexican food wrong. Like seriously, post me a US cake recipe and a french cake recipe where the US one is just ludicrously oversweetened for no reason except the idiot tastes of the fat masses of the bad place.

It's like how people will be all "you can't believe it if you aren't murrican, but you can't even find bread that isn't sweetened."

Yes, you can. You can find it at walmart for the same price as most of the other one-tier-up sliced processed packaged bread options in the deep fuckin south. Are you stupid or lying??

Yeah. They also don’t like corn because it is the low class grain in America.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Manager Hoyden posted:

Okay, specifically what though? I am hearing that people are very hung up on the existence of wonder bread, but not much else

Oh I guess I'm specifically talking about baking desserts, and when I say American I suppose I mean "when I Google x recipe"

The truth is that all internet recipes are about the same, and ones I get from dedicated bakers are different enough that I can taste it. Again, all personal preference. We do have a bunch of extra poo poo in our food though, don't we, HFCS wise? Unless that's an old wives' tale?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I'm not sure why it is so difficult to believe that someone could sincerely prefer their dessert items to be mildly sweet rather than glazed. There's an extremely broad range of sweetnesses you can make a dish, and regional preferences are totally real here. Try a French bakery some time, that sugar level is pretty good I think. Or, if you bake, try making scones but with no sugar topping - just the fruit inclusions and a little dough sugar for sweetness. It's a lot better I feel, but it does spoil more quickly. Maybe that's why sugar toppings are so popular in American baked goods; logistics concerns.

silence_kit posted:

Yeah. They also don’t like corn because it is the low class grain in America.

Elaborate, are you talking about sweet corn or normal corn? Because normal corn, nixtamalized and used in a dish, is delicious. Tamales are world-class. Sweet corn is bizarre to me. Maybe this is a distinct phuo, maybe it's the same.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I would imagine there is in fact a lot more HFCS in American sweets and soda than in other places

This is due to the US having socialized corn

I'm not even kidding about that either

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The summer likers are broken and should be sent to re-education centres. The best climate is something like a seasonal variant from -25 winter to 15C summer.

:hmmyes:

Jaunting up to parts of northern Europe where it's still hoodie weather in the middle of summer is something I try to do every year. Summer is the loving worst.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah the South Korean military dictatorship sucked! It was an evil act to put it in charge! But to put the blame on seventy years of the monstrous reign of the family of Kim Il-Sung on the US is to rob the North Korean regime of their agency. They didn’t have to invade. They didn’t have to maintain their deathgrip on society. Their survival is not predicated on the continuance on one of the worst regimes on the planet, if anything it’s a direct hindrance.

Was the US in many ways just as monstrous as the USSR? Yes, especially in the way it set up dictators. But saying the regime needed to be the way it is because of the US is like saying Russia needed to invade Ukraine because of NATO. It’s complete tankie hogwash.

Nobody said that thing youre arguing against, man

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ohtori Akio posted:

Try a French bakery some time, that sugar level is pretty good I think.

You're still doing the smug poo poo where you assume everyone in the US is either the cookie monster or hasn't had good food. Also though, lmao. France, land of buying packaged, processed, sliced brioche that's so disgusting you can't take one bite of a plain slice without feeling full the whole day. Masters of tempering the sweetness.

French baking is why french culture emphasizes eating till you're not hungry rather than till you're full.

e: it's called a chocolatine not a pain au chocolat just btw if anyone was wondering

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Jul 25, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Food snobbery is just being a picky eater in reverse, with a little dash of classism thrown in. Humans wouldn't have survived as long as we have as a species if everything you consumed caused you to wretch and gag like people love to portray online. Oh my god mayo, not eggs oil and some salt anything but that lol. I'm a mega foodie and I'll eat everything from some froo-froo artisanal whatever to the humble pop-tart. We've evolved to enjoy pretty much anything we can stuff down our collective gullets, and to pretend that your palette is simply too refined, too delicate to enjoy some good-rear end Chef Boyardee Beef Ravioli from time to time impresses nobody.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You're still doing the smug poo poo where you assume everyone in the US is either the cookie monster or hasn't had good food. Also though, lmao. France, land of buying packaged, processed, sliced brioche that's so disgusting you can't take one bite of a plain slice without feeling full the whole day. Masters of tempering the sweetness.

French baking is why french culture emphasizes eating till you're not hungry rather than till you're full.

e: it's called a chocolatine not a pain au chocolat just btw if anyone was wondering

I dunno man, the croissant with some jam in it I get is usually pretty good. Maybe there's stuff there that's too sweet, and I have simply gravitated away from it. I'd like it a lot if every American coffeeshop had the equivalent of "croissant with a little jam in the middle".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

exquisite tea posted:

Food snobbery is just being a picky eater in reverse, with a little dash of classism thrown in. Humans wouldn't have survived as long as we have as a species if everything you consumed caused you to wretch and gag like people love to portray online. Oh my god mayo, not eggs oil and some salt anything but that lol. I'm a mega foodie and I'll eat everything from some froo-froo artisanal whatever to the humble pop-tart. We've evolved to enjoy pretty much anything we can stuff down our collective gullets, and to pretend that your palette is simply too refined, too delicate to enjoy some good-rear end Chef Boyardee Beef Ravioli from time to time impresses nobody.

yeah but seafood is still pretty rank

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You can’t get French bread or baked goods in the US (that’s a charcuterie for you non-Francophones) it’s literally been illegal since they invaded Iraq on false pretenses.

Very naughty of you, France.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

France invaded Iraq? When did this happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
New phuo: unless you are an active baker, there's literally no good reason to use unsalted butter. Love yourself and embrace the sodium.