Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

LimaBiker posted:

I 'properly' rode the FZR600 for the first time in almost a year today. It's so nice.

It's a bitch to ride in slow traffic but on some medium speed twisties it's lovely. I'm now committing to buying a set of fresh tires for it :)
Now to decide which ones. I think i'll just get the same battlax t32 that are on my SV.

Nice. Pics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

More will eventually show up in the thread about the bike, once i find and buy fairings: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004324

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I disintered my father-in-law's '71 Honda 350.

It's in rough shape cosmetically, but it's been stored properly and hopefully won't need too much time and money to get running (lmfao).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

oh dope posted:

It's in rough shape cosmetically, but it's been stored properly and hopefully won't need too much time and money to get running (lmfao).

This is much better than I expected, noice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I put about 620km on my bike today. God I love mile munching on this thing. I'm so happy I bought it. It may actually be the best bike I've owned, for me, for what I like. I think it's a keeper.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

oh dope posted:

It appears to be all there, which, for vintage hondas, makes it a 9/10 for cosmetics.

It'll clean up nicely

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Started the process of removing the old exhaust, beginning with trying to get the lambda sensor out.

Seems like I may need a new one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You clearly live in the ocean and should probably switch to a jet ski.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Managed to find a used one off a Councors 14 for £30 (new price £200 :getin:), which looks practically new because on that bike the sensors are buried at the bottom of the headers just before the junction box, instead of sitting directly in the path of the spray off the rear wheel.

Thank god for interchangeable parts.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It appears to be all there, which, for vintage hondas, makes it a 9/10 for cosmetics.

It'll clean up nicely

Yeah it was pretty reassuring to get out in the daylight and take stock of what I have to work with. Among other things the seat needs to be replaced, and there's a big ol dent in the gas tank, but whatever man, I'm excited.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

put on a new chain:

not pictured: the gallon of sweat on the floor from working in a garage in the south :whitewater:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nice colour coordination!

Serious question: does your toolbox match too? I ask because I've noticed mine steadily getting more and more orange and black, probably because Magnusson is taking over here as the go-to choice for tools that are both cheap and decent quality

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nice colour coordination!

Serious question: does your toolbox match too? I ask because I've noticed mine steadily getting more and more orange and black, probably because Magnusson is taking over here as the go-to choice for tools that are both cheap and decent quality

Lol my sit on, wheel around, mini toolbox conveniently matches. my real toolbox is white, which is the best color tool storage as it forces you to clean your poo poo lol

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I just put some DIY paddock stand bobbins on my new-to-me-and-rather-dirty 2016 SV650. Needed to lift it up for some chain maintenance, the ones I had on my old bike didn't fit (needed M8, had M10), and I couldn't quickly get anything of non-dubious quality. So, to the lathe I went.

Delrin spools, steel spacers (just a cylinder, slightly rustproofed with gun blue) and hardware store bolts and washers. The bolts are crazy long, M8x50mm. The threaded holes in the swing arm are 30mm deep through-holes, and I had to work a tap through them since they were pretty rusty and dirty. With these bolts the entire hole is kept occupied with stuff that isn't road dirt or moisture, and since the health of the threads is unknown I might as well use as much of them as possible.
Seems to work, hasn't fallen off the stand yet.

The subsequent cleaning and inspection quickly revealed I need a new chain and front sprocket too. Just hoping the sprocket nut isn't as ultra-mega-stuck as the last one I did.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
At 5800 miles, it was a little past time to change out the chain on the Monkey. The previous owner/Honda shop tech took the OEM chain off at zero miles (or didn't install it if that's part of dealer prep). He put a nice golden colored chain on and it looked nice for over a year. But the adjusters are now at the end of their travel and the chain is too slack.
The PO kindly supplied the OEM chain in a box when I bought the bike.
I recently had new tires installed and they are slightly smaller than the OEMs so my speedometer has been off. So I bought a new, smaller rear sprocket. It looks horrible but it's the only one I could find that's smaller than OEM.
The front had only ~2000 miles on it, but I had a new stock one so on it went.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Indicated speed is closer to actual now, but still off. But RPMs in 4th are under control now, so mission accomplished I guess

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

5800 miles is a crazy short lifespan for what I assume was an o-ring chain, isn't it?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
No, the chains on Groms and Monkeys are 420 non -oring. The one I just took off was a DID brand.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 25, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In an enclosed case, lubed every day, when hauling mail on a ct110, those chains are good for 2-3000km. I was replacing them once a month.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

In an enclosed case, lubed every day, when hauling mail on a ct110, those chains are good for 2-3000km. I was replacing them once a month.

That's pretty terrible. When I was cycling more, I got at least 3000km out of SRAM 11spd chains, usually more like 5000km going by the stretch indicator.
Cassettes and the front ring would get about twice that life.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Did it to my helmet, not my ride, but I installed a Packtalk Edge today and I gotta say, the speakers sound great. I'm sitting in my apt just listening to music with my helmet on like a dork. I have no riding buddies yet but just having voice control of my phone/maps will be a huge plus as I start to go on longer and longer rides.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TotalLossBrain posted:

No, the chains on Groms and Monkeys are 420 non -oring. The one I just took off was a DID brand.

Is there a way to put a proper chain on it?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

knox_harrington posted:

Is there a way to put a proper chain on it?

You can buy 420 oring chains that fit and there are some 428 conversion kits.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Work in progress, but finally got the new pipes actually on the bike

Footpegs will require a little grinding down to get everything to fit flush, and I still need to acquire some connectors to make a fly lead for the oxygen sensor, but yeah! Feels good

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I did a 3day shakedown of my tenere and there is of course an actual electric issue with the charging. Any load over just running lights will slowly drain it. Checked the stator and regulator. Regulator is within spec, the stator is not. All connections read 1.5ish ohms, factory should be 0.5-0.8. The early electric start xt600 models is known to have a weak stator too. I found a German shop that sells new stators, checking now if they deliver internationally. A new regulator is cheap so I’ll toss in one too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Work in progress, but finally got the new pipes actually on the bike

Footpegs will require a little grinding down to get everything to fit flush, and I still need to acquire some connectors to make a fly lead for the oxygen sensor, but yeah! Feels good

These look great!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A drat sight better than the old ones lmao

The metal in the middle had the approximate consistency of cheese, which at least made them easy to remove.

I'm pretty sure those are salt crystals just chilling in there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Perhaps consider washing that bike once in a while idk

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slammed the new shock in the 919. Total time including pulling the rear wheel was half an hour, not bad. Feels a hundred times better just plopping onto it compared to the spanked 40k OEM shock which just bottomed out when you sat on it. Way too frigging hot for a test ride, hopefully soon.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

How much was it?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

How much was it?

A little under $300 but I had to order it from Italy. Their US distributor wanted almost double that.

https://www.brixiamoto.com/en/yss-rear-shock-absorber-mz456-285tr-02-x-357116.html

Easier to swallow than the $1k an Ohlins costs. I'm not expecting Ohlins performance, just a non clapped out shock. They are well reviewed from those that run them.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's entirely reasonable. My bike doesn't have *that* many miles but the suspension, especially the rear, feels pretty wore out. I look forward to hearing how your test ride goes.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Finally got my Ebay-find Ohlins rear back from rebuild, and swapped it into the Monster 1200 the other day. Didn't even have to drop the tire. Did have to buy a new swing arm cover to accommodate the reservoir.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The other day I noticed one of my forks was leaking. Bad enough to spray onto the chin fairing too.

It's been 10 years since I changed those seals, but the PO did give me a Seal Mate, so I might as well give that a try.

Yup, the genuine article

No leaks after a couple rides. I'll call that a success.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I get fork seal leaks all the goddamm time on the old KTM. I've replaced them twice, I've tried the seal mate* - it continues to leak.
The common factor is me working on these forks and that's probably where my issue is.
I ride in sand dunes a lot and maybe that's a contributing factor but: my two other bikes that see equal time and abuse in the sand don't have this problem. I've also never worked on their fork seals.

*Seal mate: I can get it past the dust seal but not fully past the actual seal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I get fork seal leaks all the goddamm time on the old KTM. I've replaced them twice, I've tried the seal mate* - it continues to leak.
The common factor is me working on these forks and that's probably where my issue is.
I ride in sand dunes a lot and maybe that's a contributing factor but: my two other bikes that see equal time and abuse in the sand don't have this problem. I've also never worked on their fork seals.

How hosed are your bushes?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

you gotta pull the dust seal if you’re using the seal doctor / mate. if not you’re just jamming poo poo into the oil seal

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

How hosed are your bushes?

The copper bushings are new. The tubes look and feel fine. It's not a continuous leak.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Try SKF brand seals. Better than OEM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

right arm posted:

you gotta pull the dust seal if you’re using the seal doctor / mate. if not you’re just jamming poo poo into the oil seal

This. I wasn't sure if you meant you had actually pulled it down or it's a weird KTM design that doesn't come apart easy. I admittedly also tried to do it with the dust seal on until I watched a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wlzfoVroSY