Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
What other black wrestler has left AEW and got the "bad attitude" narrative? I want to say Big Swole but most folks were on her side after Tony started tweetin' and she only got Always Bad-ed in retrospect.

Anyway, I think there's a fair amount of people in the AEW thread who aren't siding with Tony, are neutral about the whole situation, and, yes, are completely making GBS threads on Gresham. It's not the one-sided situation you think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Swole is the only one I can think of. Lio Rush also left but that got a "well that sucks but Lio's gonna Lio" reaction, mostly.

And Swole didn't so much get always badded as just kind of lost all sympathy when he started sniping at Jade on Twitter. Prior to that people were mostly in the "Tony shouldn't have tweeted that" camp.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've only heard of Jay being accused of (multiple instances of) one thing, which is coercing sex from people in exchange for pushes or higher spots on the card. Is Gresham doing that or is there something else?

Jay Lethal was also accused of grooming AJ Lee even though their age gap is only two years apart and they dated when they were both teens. Meanwhile, Jordynne had apparently been hitting on Gresham since she was still a minor, although they only officially started dating when she turned 18.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've only heard of Jay being accused of (multiple instances of) one thing, which is coercing sex from people in exchange for pushes or higher spots on the card. Is Gresham doing that or is there something else?

Someone on here called Jay a pedophile (dating girls in their teens.)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Swole is the only one I can think of. Lio Rush also left but that got a "well that sucks but Lio's gonna Lio" reaction, mostly.

And Swole didn't so much get always badded as just kind of lost all sympathy when he started sniping at Jade on Twitter. Prior to that people were mostly in the "Tony shouldn't have tweeted that" camp.

Personally I stopped "siding with labor" when Swole decided some wrestlers were not black enough to be in her spot

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm not trying to be a "truth in the middle" dipshit but my read on the whole thing is that this is what happens when you get a too-busy boss who is always attracted to the latest thing conflicting with a talent with a strong sense of his own worth who routinely (accurately or otherwise) feels undervalued. Hope Gresham is able to find what he's looking for somewhere else.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MotU posted:

That sounds like he values himself and his ideas. Weird to mark that as hard to work with, imo

those two things are very independent of each other

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Personally I stopped "siding with labor" when Swole decided some wrestlers were not black enough to be in her spot

Poster Tony was Always Right.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Was there a promo package for the World Title? I remember seeing promos for the Tag titles and the Pure title but not for the main one.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Lamuella posted:

I'm not trying to be a "truth in the middle" dipshit but my read on the whole thing is that this is what happens when you get a too-busy boss who is always attracted to the latest thing conflicting with a talent with a strong sense of his own worth who routinely (accurately or otherwise) feels undervalued. Hope Gresham is able to find what he's looking for somewhere else.

I think this is the most accurate reading. I can understand Gresham being pissed about losing the title, I can also understand Tony wanting to shake things up by putting the title on Claudio.

My personal opinion is that Gresham was a great wrestler but I would have also put the title on Claudio or Lee Moriarty to freshen up the ROH title scene.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lumbermouth posted:

Was there a promo package for the World Title? I remember seeing promos for the Tag titles and the Pure title but not for the main one.

not on the main show since it was up first, but the Road To was pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucA75S39T7Y

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lumbermouth posted:

There was on the preshow, not sure on the main show.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I think it’s just as simple as Gresh probably thought he’d be a bigger deal and pushed harder after Tony put him over at SCOH, and he felt comfortable signing after that.

Realistically - I feel like he should have been able to suss out that wasn’t the case when every other champion on that show lost. With that said - he has the right to be upset that isn’t the case and to feel like he’d be used better elsewhere. So Tony should just do what he asked and release him.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

HulkaMatt posted:

I think it’s just as simple as Gresh probably thought he’d be a bigger deal and pushed harder after Tony put him over at SCOH, and he felt comfortable signing after that.

Realistically - I feel like he should have been able to suss out that wasn’t the case when every other champion on that show lost. With that said - he has the right to be upset that isn’t the case and to feel like he’d be used better elsewhere. So Tony should just do what he asked and release him.

If not for the need to re-unify the title, feels like there’s a good chance that title would’ve been moved to Tony’s preferred champion at that time as well.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
What the hell is the pro-labor stance? Jon Gresham should actually have beaten Claudio and should be the top guy in ROH and shouldn't lose to anybody like he's done for the last 8 months? His point of contention is entirely about himself. Big Swole's complaint turned out to be the same as more information came out. A wrestler feeling they should be featured more isn't praxis and Gresh and Swole being Black doesn't mean they're right. It's mental seeing the comparison to Vince under the "Aha, stop simping for billionaires" umbrella. When Bobby Lashley left WWE, it was under pretty significantly different circumstances. Khan didn't rush to sign a Keith Lee whose health is still kinda uncertain or completely heatless Athena because he hates Black talent.

I know, lots of words. But I think the throughline from Cody to MJF to Brian Cage to Big Swole to Jonathan Gresham is simply that pro wrestlers will tell Khan they don't like their booking and want different/more money and he's not opposed to saying no. So the talent leaves. That's what's going to happen with Santana when his leg recovers. And that's ok. That's completely fine and frankly good. Wrestlers should be able to say they do not like what one booker is doing and go to another. It's not an indictment on anyone involved in the process inherently.

Now hey, if it turns out Khan used a slur or something, yeah. Down with TK, we'll all migrate to Joshi. But wanting to put Claudio over and not letting Jonathan Gresham shout him into changing that is so not anti-labor. Stop using words you only kinda understand!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

completely heatless Athena is your nxt name

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Absolute clownshoes to try to spin the Gresham situation as a “side with labor” dispute. Unserious.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah Swole really couldn't have handled that poo poo worse if she tried.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This board was very much with labor when ACH had his issues in WWE and when ACH, Keith Lee, Lio, etc., had their issues with Delirious.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I mean, I think Tony Khan doesn’t want to have tough conversations with people and up until recently, he hasn’t had to. If you’re trying to launch a second wrestling company and you’re treating their main champion like an afterthought, dude has every right to be mad and demand clarification.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SonicRulez posted:

What the hell is the pro-labor stance? Jon Gresham should actually have beaten Claudio and should be the top guy in ROH and shouldn't lose to anybody like he's done for the last 8 months? His point of contention is entirely about himself. Big Swole's complaint turned out to be the same as more information came out. A wrestler feeling they should be featured more isn't praxis and Gresh and Swole being Black doesn't mean they're right. It's mental seeing the comparison to Vince under the "Aha, stop simping for billionaires" umbrella. When Bobby Lashley left WWE, it was under pretty significantly different circumstances. Khan didn't rush to sign a Keith Lee whose health is still kinda uncertain or completely heatless Athena because he hates Black talent.

I know, lots of words. But I think the throughline from Cody to MJF to Brian Cage to Big Swole to Jonathan Gresham is simply that pro wrestlers will tell Khan they don't like their booking and want different/more money and he's not opposed to saying no. So the talent leaves. That's what's going to happen with Santana when his leg recovers. And that's ok. That's completely fine and frankly good. Wrestlers should be able to say they do not like what one booker is doing and go to another. It's not an indictment on anyone involved in the process inherently.

Now hey, if it turns out Khan used a slur or something, yeah. Down with TK, we'll all migrate to Joshi. But wanting to put Claudio over and not letting Jonathan Gresham shout him into changing that is so not anti-labor. Stop using words you only kinda understand!

The pro labor stance is that Low Ki and Hulk Hogan were right, and I am pro-labor, especially when it comes to Mr. Ki.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I definitely wouldn't look at a conversation about one person's desire for greater involvement in their own creative as a management/labor dispute, but there is 100% a recurring tendency to rally to the defense of the billionaire who runs the wrestling company people like & tear down any worker who has some complaints about how the business is run, which is a pretty off-putting dynamic

Like, the fact that people feel comfortable reducing Gresham's complaints to "He's just mad he had to job to Claudio" is a pretty good representation of this phenomenon. It's not implausible that that's the root of his dissatisfaction and sometimes wrestlers are goofy and self serious, but it's also possible that his primary concern was his objectively herky-jerky characterization in the run-up to Death before Dishonor and the fact that he couldn't get a direct line of conversation with Tony Khan. Not saying Khan owed Gresham that level of access, but it's not unreasonable for Gresham to think he had earned it as a champion and standard bearer for ROH, and it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to walk away if he concluded that Khan didn't value him the way he believed he should be valued.

It's also saying something that the forum consensus about the Big Swole situation is "She sucked and had it coming!" when the impetus for Tony's tweet was an aggregated headline highlighting a small portion of a much longer conversation in which Swole was frequently complementary of him and of AEW.

I dunno. It's not like it's wholly unreasonable to look at any of the AEW vs. disgruntled worker situations and think the company didn't do anything meaningfully wrong (although it's hard for me to imagine defending the Swole tweet on any grounds other than "Embrace chaos"), but it is kind of a bummer to see the forum nearly unanimously band together to dismiss the complaints

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lumbermouth posted:

I mean, I think Tony Khan doesn’t want to have tough conversations with people and up until recently, he hasn’t had to. If you’re trying to launch a second wrestling company and you’re treating their main champion like an afterthought, dude has every right to be mad and demand clarification.

i feel like treating him as an afterthought wouldn't involve signing him to a contract

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Walking out is the most interesting thing Gresham has ever done since I've become aware of him. The real tragedy here is that the discussion surrounding him has glossed over the true creative malfeasance on the show, which was putting Martinez over Deeb for reasons as yet inexplicable.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The "forums consensus" about Swole was largely "wow Tony's being a bit of an rear end in a top hat here" when he made his initial tweet about letting Swole go because he thought she sucked at wrestling, only for it to come out that Swole was mad that Jade Cargill was viewed as far more marketable than her and that Swole felt she should have gotten the level of push Jade got. And even with that knowledge, Swole has her defenders and detractors here, so claiming there's a "forums consensus" that Swole Was Always Bad is disingenuous to say the least.

I don't care about Gresham one way or the other, if he and TK cool down and smooth things out, great. If he quits or gets fired or whatever, oh well.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Integrated Houston posted:

Walking out is the most interesting thing Gresham has ever done since I've become aware of him. The real tragedy here is that the discussion surrounding him has glossed over the true creative malfeasance on the show, which was putting Martinez over Deeb for reasons as yet inexplicable.

Not inexplicable, they want Deeb for the A-show and to be a contender for either Rosa or Jade. Making her a champ in ROH locks her away from being one if the major credible threats in their thin women's division as she can't be ROH champ and losing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mercedes debuted in ROH 16 years ago and is really good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Torch is saying Gresham is gone, that he had an altercation with Tony after losing the title and either he was given his release or Tony fired him.

Cool

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

xbilkis posted:

I definitely wouldn't look at a conversation about one person's desire for greater involvement in their own creative as a management/labor dispute, but there is 100% a recurring tendency to rally to the defense of the billionaire who runs the wrestling company people like & tear down any worker who has some complaints about how the business is run, which is a pretty off-putting dynamic

Like, the fact that people feel comfortable reducing Gresham's complaints to "He's just mad he had to job to Claudio" is a pretty good representation of this phenomenon. It's not implausible that that's the root of his dissatisfaction and sometimes wrestlers are goofy and self serious, but it's also possible that his primary concern was his objectively herky-jerky characterization in the run-up to Death before Dishonor and the fact that he couldn't get a direct line of conversation with Tony Khan. Not saying Khan owed Gresham that level of access, but it's not unreasonable for Gresham to think he had earned it as a champion and standard bearer for ROH, and it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to walk away if he concluded that Khan didn't value him the way he believed he should be valued.

It's also saying something that the forum consensus about the Big Swole situation is "She sucked and had it coming!" when the impetus for Tony's tweet was an aggregated headline highlighting a small portion of a much longer conversation in which Swole was frequently complementary of him and of AEW.

I dunno. It's not like it's wholly unreasonable to look at any of the AEW vs. disgruntled worker situations and think the company didn't do anything meaningfully wrong (although it's hard for me to imagine defending the Swole tweet on any grounds other than "Embrace chaos"), but it is kind of a bummer to see the forum nearly unanimously band together to dismiss the complaints

I have no issue or criticism for Gresham feeling he deserved better. Every wrestler can feel that way. I just think that recontextualizes "Tony Khan was completely inaccessible and ghosted Gresham" which is how the story first broke. That Gresham heard nothing from creative and that frustrated him. We've further learned that it was more that he got communication and simply disagreed with what he was given. That's fine. He's allowed to dislike the heel turn, being paired with Tully and then Prince Nana, opening the show, only getting 11 minutes, losing to Claudio, and everything in between. But once it becomes about two conflicting opinions and not a structural issue behind AEW's method of talent relations, it stops being about whether or not we're going with Team Billionaire or Team Labor. From that point, as a fan, it's just about whether I agree or not with the talent's self-assessment. At least that's the way my fandom works, I won't speak for everyone else. I think Big Swole wasn't very good, didn't show enough improvement over the years, and Khan's tweet was mean-spirited and he should leave that stuff to the fans. On the other hand, I think Lio Rush could've been a much bigger deal and it's a shame they couldn't work things out.

I don't think it's improper for people to see Gresham's complaints and decide he's not worth that much back and forth. The list of talent lost/rearranged from Brian Cage (vaccination status still unknown), Janela, Marko, Swole, and now Gresham doesn't scare me. But that's just me! That's my own fan opinion on who in AEW is good or bad.

Suppose my thought, right or wrong, is that when a talent disagrees with their booking every person can agree or disagree without it being an indictment on either the booker or talent until it goes full WWE and the talent is denied their release or called a slur or something along those lines.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Swole thinks it's cool that Vince paid hush money to the employee he sexual harassed because she was hot.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I just want to note that I’m also fine with Gresham leaving because he was never the same after Ogogo broke him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I won’t be satisfied until the Big Banter Billionaire calls him out on twitter and tags his wife too, tbqh.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

MassRafTer posted:

Torch is saying Gresham is gone, that he had an altercation with Tony after losing the title and either he was given his release or Tony fired him.

This is also an important distinction between these and the WWE releases when discussing this. Tony is at least respecting the independent contractor status as it should be and granting the releases when asked (or just not renewing at the end of their contracts like Swole, Janela and Angels) instead of keeping them in catering or spite booking for humiliation.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FTR are GOAT

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jonathan Gresham is absolutely right to think he should leave ROH if he believes he can do better than they're offering him just like Tony Khan is absolutely right to think Gresham isn't good enough to build the brand around

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Maybe Gresham should go back to his old gimmick, the electric Hieracon.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I could see Gresham joining Honor No More in Impact Wrestling, should he sign there. Then we could see him wrestle Josh Alexander again, and this time it won't result in a double-pin!

(their first encounter was in Terminus, and was good)

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 25, 2022

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I mean just from watching the match (and past few matches she's had) it's easy to see that Mercedes is really loving good and even at like 41 years old wipes the floor with many of the younger women in AEW. Deeb is someday going to be a TNT/women's belt holder but for now I'm sure the plan was mainly "put two of my most talented women together for a great match"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

trade gresham for eddie edwards and davey richards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Deeb is more over and should’ve won. :colbert: