Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

Unrelated but kinda related, I'm abroad with no guitar and Bernth's videos are helping keep me sane, can't wait to try some of these with a guitar in hand as I haven't watched his stuff in a while.

I actually subbed to his Patreon and I'm on day 20 of his 30 day alternate picking workouts. I'm nowhere near approaching shred speed, but I feel like my technique has gotten much cleaner. I actually don't think I care about getting to shred speed, I'd just like to get to whatever speed regular, non shred players need, and be clean. When I'm done with this, I'm sure I'll do another of his 30 day courses. Probably the learn the fretboard one he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

I actually subbed to his Patreon and I'm on day 20 of his 30 day alternate picking workouts. I'm nowhere near approaching shred speed, but I feel like my technique has gotten much cleaner. I actually don't think I care about getting to shred speed, I'd just like to get to whatever speed regular, non shred players need, and be clean. When I'm done with this, I'm sure I'll do another of his 30 day courses. Probably the learn the fretboard one he has.

get "pretty good" at shred speed and then you'll be great at normal speed

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

:hmmyes:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

I've been working on learning Yenne Lee's arrangement of "The Water is Wide" since January. (Transcript and video of Lee playing the song are at that link.) It's my first full-length song. I finally got a decent recording of myself playing it, just one hiccup at the very end, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with this performance. It's really hard to play four minutes without mistakes!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP43TeVuFOc

good song, and well played. i enjoyed it!

and regarding "It's really hard to play four minutes without mistakes": yep, i feel that!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

no, i don't have a classical guitar. i like it as a texture a lot actually, i'd like to own one, but it just hasn't come up.

i also haven't run across classical guitar in any of my studies of orchestrated music. i'm sure i'd like it, just not really sure where to start.

i know someone in here mentioned a classical piece that involved playing more than once voice at the same time, which is really really interesting to me, as a voice leading loving dork

i would love to see you get into playing classical or even steel string acoustic.

between those two, the classical has a lot less tension on the neck, and it's neck is generally much thicker, so they tend to last longer.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

hahaha - get a nylon string one shaped like that next!

ah, the real deal -- not a fake like mine!

gonna use the trem on this guitar? i wonder if it stays in tune.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i would love to see you get into playing classical or even steel string acoustic.

between those two, the classical has a lot less tension on the neck, and it's neck is generally much thicker, so they tend to last longer.

yeah i'm really interested in classical guitars, i've played them in guitar centers and stuff and i liked them a lot.

they have kind of a romantic, "mystical" sound to me, it makes the sorts of extended chords or suspended chords or modal chord progressions that i play a lot sound really, really cool.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

yeah i'm really interested in classical guitars, i've played them in guitar centers and stuff and i liked them a lot.

they have kind of a romantic, "mystical" sound to me, it makes the sorts of extended chords or suspended chords or modal chord progressions that i play a lot sound really, really cool.

classical guitar really forces you to use dynamics and create other interesting sounds without effects. it taught me that the guitar was way more versatile than i thought

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Tad Naff posted:

Well I wasn't planning on sharing this here because of the ridiculous factor, but here's my latest, an acoustic that you can pretend is electric:

gently caress yeah! Can you link it?

This reminds me of the Les Paul style Ukulele at my local shop.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i've gotten two of my guitar friends IRL to buy and play classical guitars, and they both really took to it!

classical guitars sometimes don't have enough loudness when jamming with steel string acoustics, though. using a pick helps a little

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Thanks, all.

One thing I like about classical/nylon guitars is they're more forgiving to fret than steel strings. Partly that means they're just easier to play, but I think it also gives you access to more fingering options. One song I'm learning ("If", also from Yenne Lee) plays an arpeggio across a full 2nd fret barre, while also playing some melody notes up on the 4th and 5th frets with your pinky. That's pretty tough for me even on lighter gauge electric strings, but not hard at all on nylon.

a.p. dent posted:

wow! this is great! i'm a big fan of yenne and her arrangements, i saw her play in philly a few years ago. she was phenomenal.

I'm super jealous, she's one of my favorite guitarists. I've watched her Autumn Leaves video at least four dozen times. I'd love to see her play. She doesn't seem to do many shows these days, she only one on her website since 2019.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

landgrabber posted:

Can't argue with that logic!

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Red_Fred posted:

gently caress yeah! Can you link it?

This reminds me of the Les Paul style Ukulele at my local shop.

C$ 702.72 | Transporte gratuito, guitarra de ganso de 6 cuerdas, incrustación de 5 estrellas
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKY0WpM

Price went way up since I got it, sorry. Also took a long long time to arrive, like 2 or 3 months. But other sellers also have it.

Somebody else has a Epi Les Paul uke, check the AliExpress thread

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have this thing I accidentally "won" a goodwill auction for.

I need to restring it with a normal g string like was talked about earlier here.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

https://voca.ro/1hL05HeH6kbl

I made this using the Helix floors synth generators, pitch echo, tape modulation and looper
This is really cool. That loop is stuck in my head now. I love that little rake motif in the loop, SRV played that a bunch and Vai plays it in his intro to "I'm Easy."

On the topic of modelers:
I am about to try something that will take a little explaining: Doing research into the best way to simulate an acoustic tone on an electric guitar. I'm aware of more than one technique to get there with varying degrees of success, mostly EQ-based. Along the way I ran across an Impulse Response a guy was selling for $10. Now, normally I'd be fine giving some rando $10 for something like that. Like how I paid whatever I paid for Moke's talk-box preset. In this case I decided to look around a bit more before spending anything, and that meant going to the Fractal forums and searching around for a free one. Instead, I ran across a post on how to just make my own, and there is a pretty good incentive to do it.
I got out my Breedlove and a condenser mic. I'm gonna mic it up and record it to my PC, playing big barre chords to a beat to make a "tone match" source, and exporting the result as an IR I can run through in my modeler. What I hadn't anticipated about this process is this kind of tone match via IR technique is specific to both the source instrument and the target instrument. So if I get someone else's acoustic guitar tone match, my results will be based on whatever pickup they used on their electric guitar as the IR dictates the difference between the two sounds, and variations between their pickup and mine could throw off the match. Yeah, I am explaining this poorly, sorry. If anyone can help please do.
If I understand this correctly, I can mic up my guitar and record this sample and put it on my PC as my reference. Then, when I run the tone match in my modeler, I'll be matching it to the actual guitar and pickup I intend to use for the performance. That will give the best result. And if I decide to play a different guitar, I need to re-run the process running the tone match against the new guitar and pickup I intend to use. So I could conceivably make this one reference sound (e.g. Breedlove with new strings on it) and then make a collection of IRs, say "My Strat bridge pickup," "My Ibanez neck pickup," and "My Tele neck pickup," and then put those in my patches. Personalized results.
So it's free to try since I have the gear here. Anyway this is the first time I've read about the process and I suspect this is how people print their own effects and cabs as well. It's way out there to me, but I have the mics and preamps to do it well (I think.)

I'm still mulling it over in my head right now but I have a reason to get this done, which I want to share soon, hopefully.

Anyone have any experience doing this stuff with IRs?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 25, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Dimebag ML Uke
https://www.amazon.com/Dean-UKE-ML-CBK-Ukulele/dp/B01ATNT2X8/

Iceman
https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-Iceman-UICT10-Acoustic-Electric-Ukulele/dp/B07N4JFQLS/

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thumposaurus posted:

I have this thing I accidentally "won" a goodwill auction for.

I need to restring it with a normal g string like was talked about earlier here.

Oh poo poo the GAS Support wheels are all coming off! :getin:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

BC Rich makes/made warlock and mocking bird acoustics too.

BC Rich Warlock Acoustic Electric 1992 Gloss Black White Binding https://reverb.com/item/2431312-bc-...k-white-binding

BC Rich MAG Mockingbird Acosutic Guitar Custom Shop 2000 Cosmic Black https://reverb.com/item/37707332-bc...00-cosmic-black

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
And here I thought my old schecter diamond series acoustic was an anomaly. I can definitely see one of the hair bands of the late 80s/early 90s playing them on a power ballad, or even the modern misfits.

"So I need an acoustic, but it can't look like some john denver bullshit"

Do you care how it sounds?

"Not at all"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Verman posted:

And here I thought my old schecter diamond series acoustic was an anomaly. I can definitely see one of the hair bands of the late 80s/early 90s playing them on a power ballad, or even the modern misfits.

"Not at all"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhvFLHIlBs

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

what the gently caress is up with his right thumbnail?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah I noticed that on another video. I had also never really heard him talk until recently and it’s weird. His rig rundown video was semi incomprehensible.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

i think he uses them for acoustic/classical

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

spent time yesterday doing a truss rod/saddle action adjustment. peach strat plays much better now.

still getting a little sitaring or a little more pluckiness on that B string 3rd fret than i want, but it's at least not murdering my brain. sometimes if i fret it a certain way (haven't zero'd in on exactly how), it'll ring through clearly.

the saddle has to be really high to get to that point. i'm thinking maybe that string slot in the nut is too low. maybe when i was restringing it one day, and i don't remember, i flossed it with the string, on purpose? or i tried to do the mechanical pencil nut lubrication trick and went a little too hard or something.

either way, i'm able to mostly play it once again, and i'm very happy

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
This one might be a stretch but one time I had that problem and it turned out I had accidentally put a kink in the string over the playing area while restringing. Might be worth checking since it requires zero time investment past loosening the string enough to see.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Verman posted:

"Not at all"

Ever since the invention of the thrice-damned piezo bridge people have been making inappropriately shaped acoustics. It doesn't matter what they sound like acoustically because amped up it all turns into "blatblatblatbzzz" anyway.

The era between the invention of the piezo bridge and the Fishman Aura/IR modelling was a grim time for live acoustic guitars.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

The era between the invention of the piezo bridge and the Fishman Aura/IR modelling was a grim time for live acoustic guitars.
Absolutely. I found the perfect example, too. This song was a huge hit, and it's from the 2nd Van Halen record with Sammy Hagar, so how does this sound even end up on the record? Listen to the acoustic guitar in the right channel. The strings have no shimmer, no sparkle, you can't hear the woodiness of the guitar. Sounds like a block of plastic strung with rubber bands. It sounds like every overpriced Ovation I ever had the displeasure of hearing from a stage.
Just mic up your acoustic for the album, please! This shortcut is so not worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqyZMjFqFf0

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

the saddle has to be really high to get to that point. i'm thinking maybe that string slot in the nut is too low. maybe when i was restringing it one day, and i don't remember, i flossed it with the string, on purpose? or i tried to do the mechanical pencil nut lubrication trick and went a little too hard or something.

You're not going to significantly impact the nut slot flossing with an unwound b string or with pencil lead.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ah drat.

may be truss rod or something but last night i swear to god i used my straight edge correctly! just enough gap for a sheet of paper underneath, across the fretboard, right??

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If you are measuring relief at the 6th fret, that is good. I've found on a perfectly level neck you can actually go even straighter but the sign you've gone too straight is buzzing somewhere the 1st fret to the 9th or 12th. So I wouldn't expect to be able to go much straighter than a hair's width/sheet of paper if there's buzzing at 3.

Bear in mind there are are a shitload of buts and ifs I am leaving out, here, as necks are affected by so many points that can move with time and temp.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Dr. Faustus posted:

If you are measuring relief at the 6th fret, that is good. I've found on a perfectly level neck you can actually go even straighter but the sign you've gone too straight is buzzing somewhere the 1st fret to the 9th or 12th. So I wouldn't expect to be able to go much straighter than a hair's width/sheet of paper if there's buzzing at 3.

Bear in mind there are are a shitload of buts and ifs I am leaving out, here, as necks are affected by so many points that can move with time and temp.

i feel like now i know why there aren't that many bands that come out of north carolina.

the weather's so loving temperamental that it makes keeping an instrument correctly set up and in condition good enough for learning, that it makes you crazy

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

but yes i am actually really interested in at least an acoustic, or a classical guitar.

i guess i really mostly talk about playing distorted a lot, but one of the things i want to do is get into more dynamic songs. it's really really tough, because of my vocal range -- i want to write these really emotional songs with a ton of harmony in them, but my vocal range is pretty low (thanks testosterone), which i hate because i kind of have to invert everything to get it really low most of the time, that way i can extend the harmony by singing a note above it.

acoustic, clean humbucker guitar through my Fender Hot Rod Deville Amp, and classical guitar all let me play really tall chords and stuff, without compressing the hell out of them. really big, lush harmony, which i like a lot.

currently even with punk/distorted stuff, i'm writing in instrumental sections where the vocal drops out and it gets a little quieter so the harmony can take the stage. i love that a lot.

a.p. dent posted:

classical guitar really forces you to use dynamics and create other interesting sounds without effects. it taught me that the guitar was way more versatile than i thought

luckily, i've never been able to afford too many pedals, and never been coordinated enough to turn stuff on and off at the right moment, to rely on that.

most of the time if i'm playing dirty, i have a RAT turned on and that's about it.

had to learn how to construct music without that crutch. it helps.

i do want a looper soon though, but that's 'cause it's a really good tool for writing-- if i play a melody with a guitar, over guitar chords, and i can still hear it, and it's still a nice melody, it's probably good from a compositional point of view. it's a melody that stands up to scrutiny.

so i'd like to be able to do that without like, recording into ableton and looping, or just doing it in notation software or something. there's probably something to be said for either of those approaches, but i just want to do it quicker. it's all about putting things in reach for myself while writing. i swear to god my next "gear purchase" will probably be a step stool so i can actually play while sitting down with any comfort at all.

e: i'm also going through a little bit of a "gathering inspiration" phase of writing. i kind of go through these periods where i just write and write and write through whatever i'm feeling or wanting at that moment, where it's really easy to turn an experiment into something really real. and then it all gets kind of old, and so i go read something, or listening to some different bands, or watch some movies, find poo poo that sort of goes along with how i was feeling before but maybe inspires a new perspective/new thoughts/new emotions, and then i can write new songs, or make the old ones richer.

but when i go through the "gathering inspiration" period, i like focusing on technique a little bit, that way i'm sharper than i was the last time i was in a big writing phase.

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 25, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Absolutely. I found the perfect example, too. This song was a huge hit, and it's from the 2nd Van Halen record with Sammy Hagar, so how does this sound even end up on the record? Listen to the acoustic guitar in the right channel. The strings have no shimmer, no sparkle, you can't hear the woodiness of the guitar. Sounds like a block of plastic strung with rubber bands. It sounds like every overpriced Ovation I ever had the displeasure of hearing from a stage.
Just mic up your acoustic for the album, please! This shortcut is so not worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqyZMjFqFf0

God I can't unhear it. It sounds so bad.

For me, the ultimate nails-on-the-chalkboard sound was always Ovation acoustics. I remember playing a few growing up and they had an instant tone that I never liked, nevermind the looks. They didn't seem to have a very full sound, they felt overly bright but also not very rich. The resonant tone always felt ... well plastic. Every bar band used one for gigs because you could plug them in but god did they turn me off. They always seemed to play pretty well from a neck and action standpoint, I just couldn't get past the tone and the fact they wanted to slide off your knee while playing.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I'd nominate this turd - between the thinline stage acoustic and the piezo/active Warwick bass it's just a mix of lovely fretbuzz tone all round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yam6mrCCvD4

Unfortunately piezo is absolutely the easiest way to get an acoustic tone to FoH without feedback in a loud environment, but god I really dislike them. They destroy dynamic range, body resonance, and attack. If you really have a good outboard setup and know your gear then they can be passable but that coffee house, "oh I know a guy who does sound sometimes", wrong impedence, percussion quack is everywhere. I'd rather hear an archtop Jazz guy with flats going straight to PA than that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think it sounds tight when you mix it with a clean electric sound. Not on its own

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
one time, we were at a restaurant and there was live music, it was a solo guitar player with his own PA system. He was playing a strat and singing -- sounding really good. Then he went to switch to his acoustic, and the electronics failed, and he had to go back to the electric guitar. I was thinking "thank god" haha

After the show, I asked if he could play all of his songs on electric, but he said some are acoustic only. But why shouldn't we play our acoustic stuff on electric, if they are the same scale length? Can't we dial in the amp, change the pickup height, and rub EQ on and around it?

I just play my electric guitar with a different technique, because I don't know how to do all that stuff -- the E and A strings always booming over everything no matter what (using a capo helps a little).

EDIT: i bet this is easy with a hexaphonic pickup or some other way to attenuate each string individually

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 26, 2022

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i've always wondered how well that boss acoustic simulator pedal worked

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I think that pedal sounds like rear end personally, but that doesn't mean it's useless if you just need to really substantially change the sound of your electric into something more acoustic-like. To me there are no rules about how to do your thing musically, you can play whatever you want on whatever you've got and that's fine. I can see why some might feel this or that song sounds better on an electric or an acoustic, though, they certainly have different sounds. Why play it on a guitar instead of a cello? Why one of those instead of a piano? (etc.) 'Cause that's how you like it, how it is in your head, how you wanna do it (or just what you own and are competent to play!).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you want an electric to sound like a piezo you should install a piezo in the neck pocket. EQ ain't gonna cut it because the way an electromagnetic field interacts with steel is completely different to how a piezoelectric pickup works. Their response to transients will be radically different, and the way they handle increasing amplitude across the spectrum will be different and you can't really fake that easily.

Anyway you should just play through a fender amp with the slightest tickle of dirt instead, it's a different sound but a pleasant one that works in the same places an unaccompanied acoustic would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i think a neutral neck humbucker through an amp with a lot of headroom and maybe turned down mids (not metal zone scooped but just, make room for the vocal) will be a better sound because it fulfills a lot of the same functions, but isn't trying to be exactly the same as an acoustic.