Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BooDooBoo posted:

She says "Gone", so maybe Shuri has been kidnapped or tun away from the Crown?

Same as Chadwick, name and shame the killer, raise permanent awareness.

It also makes the point that disease can hit anyone at any time and it can be VERY fast, if a Super-hero passes from it.

But I'm sure that'd be considered Ghoulish.

They incorporated Kilmer’s cancer in Top Gun: Maverick and I thought those scenes were pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They incorporated Kilmer’s cancer in Top Gun: Maverick and I thought those scenes were pretty good.

He's also still around to consent though, so it might be different.
I don't know Boseman or his family would feel or if Boseman ever discussed it with Ryan Coogler.

This isn't the deciding factor obviously but it would be somewhat odd if cancer took two heroes in two consecutive MCU movies.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
It would probably serve the public, and respect the memory of the actor, to just name cancer in the movie too.

Maybe even have Hobbit Ross be naive that Wakanda, as advanced as they are can’t cure it, and have Angela Bassett be like “yeah, we have technology, but we aren’t gods.”

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

muscles like this! posted:

I wonder if they're going to actually give a reason for T'Challa dying or just leave it vague.

a CGI homunculus Chadwick does appear, but he suddenly starts shapeshifting and surprise, he was a Skrull the whole time. "IT WAS ME, SHURI! IT WAS ME ALLLLLL ALONG", he shouts

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Would definitely come off better than that one Black Panther story where they said they did have the cure for cancer but weren't sharing it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Would definitely come off better than that one Black Panther story where they said they did have the cure for cancer but weren't sharing it.

Ross is CIA, more realistic for him to say that

There's probably a super bad taste option involving the Cancerverse, but I ain't looking for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1551648788749684736?s=21&t=oZglZpVV_XuQ0tqWMAN4Pg

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The first soundtrack was dope and mostly original music. Is the second one mostly original as well?

The No Woman No Cry remix is really atmospheric and well done, but not necessarily something I would jam to like Kendrick Lamar.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
it has occurred to me with stunning clarity that The Rock should've been Namor.

in no way shape or form is this a dig at the Actor they got but cmon you wanna talk about getting butts in theater seats

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I dunno, at this point I’m so bored and done with The Rock’s schtick that I honestly think it would prevent me from seeing the movie. He only plays one kind of character and his “gotta hit every marketable quadrant” brand is exhausting.

Plus you could never have Groot and Namor share a scene because Vin Diesel would post some weird insecure photoshopped rant about it on instagram.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

in no way shape or form is this a dig at the Actor they got but cmon you wanna talk about getting butts in theater seats

Hell no.

The Rock is great at being The Rock. And that ain't right for Namor.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

All of a sudden Namor needs to have a sweet nine year old girl to rescue and an ex-wife character who exists only to grudgingly acknowledge how great he is.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My pick is still Justin Theroux from like 15 years ago but in lieu of a time machine the new guy looks good

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The Rock never could’ve been Namor since he’s been attached to play Black Adam since before Namor was created.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Rock has a stupendously superheroic physique but I don't buy him as Namor. I've never gotten "regal" from him.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Lobok posted:

The Rock has a stupendously superheroic physique but I don't buy him as Namor. I've never gotten "regal" from him.

SCORPION KING IS REGAL AF ITS RIGJT IN THE NAME

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

So regal...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Soul Glo posted:

He's a barbarian usurper, more King Conan than a regal monarch. He had a whole movie about it.

Seriously though, watch The Scorpion King. Movie's loving tops, you'll know if you love it or not after about five minutes when a guy gets shot with an arrow and goes sailing through a wall and then just... keeps going.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s a garbage quality phone-cam leak of the Guardians 3 trailer from SDCC floating around. Nothing major, but you do get to see Adam Warlock.

It’s also profoundly weird to hear a Flaming Lips song used in a big Marvel trailer.

If only they were still worth a drat and not just a Wayne Coyne vanity project :negative:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Many, many, MANY years ago, when The Rock was starting out his film career, I definitely remember his name being floated around as a potential actor for a Namor movie Universal was putting together.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I didn't think I would ever say this about a real person playing a superhero comic book character but I think The Rock might actually be too jacked to play Namor.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The MCU doesn't need big name actors to get butts in theater seats thank god

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

JordanKai posted:

I didn't think I would ever say this about a real person playing a superhero comic book character but I think The Rock might actually be too jacked to play Namor.

This. Namor needs to be sleek, The Rock does NOT have a swimmer’s physique.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Rock is a good actor and he has range.

He's just never asked to be anything but The Rock because he's also the highest paid actor in Hollywood and if you're paying Rock rates, you want The Rock.

Edit: His size also limits options too, obviously.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 26, 2022

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

now I just see Namor waving a fishhook around and singing "You're Welcome"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jamesman posted:

Many, many, MANY years ago, when The Rock was starting out his film career, I definitely remember his name being floated around as a potential actor for a Namor movie Universal was putting together.

Back then he was putting some variety into his roles. And as mentioned in the last few posts he's too big now but was much smaller then. Like Rundown era Rock was big but he's like half the current Rock.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

Back then he was putting some variety into his roles. And as mentioned in the last few posts he's too big now but was much smaller then. Like Rundown era Rock was big but he's like half the current Rock.

I think he looks weird. Rundown era looked like a normal muscle man. Now he looks like late era Barry bonds

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean he's on god knows how many growth hormones right now. Most of these actors take those things for these roles where they're huge and ripped like that. It's their body so it's whatever, but it's clearly not natural. They still do a lot of hard work to get that way but they're absolutely using chemicals as well.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

sure when captain america does it, he’s a hero, but when the rock does it, he’s a muscle bound jerk idiot!!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, he was still with WWE when he did The Rundown so he couldn't hit those PEDs.

WWE guys (mostly) have to do it legit back then, and still today, because of the steroid trial in the 90s.

The Rock does something absurd like 5 hours of gym time a day, but he's also 50 years old now. He has help.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'm sure there's a post on this very forum from ages ago of me saying the Rock should play Namor but I'm a different man now.

The man I've become just saw the Black Adam trailer and thought "You know, the Rock might not be good at serious dramatic acting"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

“the Rock should play Namor” feels like some kind of artifact from that time period when every fan casting of a super hero was some wrestler or actor who just looked like the comic character. I get it but I’m glad we’re pretty much beyond that and to the “a good actor should play X with even if they don’t look exactly like a 50 year old drawing” stage.

Of course that’s when the Rock was cast as Black Adam so it gets grandfathered in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, he was still with WWE when he did The Rundown so he couldn't hit those PEDs.

WWE guys (mostly) have to do it legit back then, and still today, because of the steroid trial in the 90s.
Lmao no they don't. They just cycle it so it's out of their system by TV time which is the only place they get tested.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why are WWE performers not allowed to be roided up?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lobok posted:

They absolutely are. About 15 years ago there were a rash of wrestler deaths related to drug use and there was some scrutiny in the atmosphere and workload in WWE and wrestling that encouraged and aided use. So WWE instituted a drug testing policy. But the policy was pretty clearly a joke that was easy enough to cycle around and even the big names who got busted generally got passes. It was largely just a pr tool to wash their hands of substance abusers they thought might end badly or just fire some low level workers to prove they’re doing something. But everyone is still on roids.

There is a general change in wrestling that wrestlers are smaller and less set to that hulking body builder type. But that’s just a societal shift. There’s less failed football players and bouncers in wrestling and more random people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Lmao no they don't. They just cycle it so it's out of their system by TV time which is the only place they get tested.

Of course, but anyone making regular appearances can't do that. Like The Rock.

It's always noticeable when someone comes back from an injury looking incredible, which then falls off over the next couple of months.

Lobok posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._McMahon

Vince got away with distributing steroids in the early 90s so they made a big deal of WWE being drug free and using independent testing, which remains today.

Some guys like Brock Lesnar and HHH have/had non-standard performer contracts which don't get them tested. They can also use them with a prescription. Common for injury recovery, and there's at least one guy who I can't remember off-hand who has a medical condition that requires steroids to manage.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 26, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

“the Rock should play Namor” feels like some kind of artifact from that time period when every fan casting of a super hero was some wrestler or actor who just looked like the comic character. I get it but I’m glad we’re pretty much beyond that and to the “a good actor should play X with even if they don’t look exactly like a 50 year old drawing” stage.

Of course that’s when the Rock was cast as Black Adam so it gets grandfathered in.

Plenty of people hated or still hate Pattinson as Batman because he's not some giant.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vince McMahon's really into huge oily muscled guys like Brock Lessner. He pushes them up in the company while more technical wrestlers or smaller guys usually languish unless they've got amazing crowd chops (Eddie Guerrero).

Since Vince consolidated a bunch of local leagues and went big, he was able to push his vision of wrestling due to being the creative control and having the most eyeballs on his shows. That's why you had huge dude's in the 80s like Ultimate Warrior, Hogan, Macho Man, etc. and why American Wrestling is just big slabs of beef.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've been known to enjoy Dwayne occasionally, but even at his most hostile he's never had the kind of disgust-mixed-with-rage that I feel would be necessary from a Namor

Honestly, considering the synergy between superheroes and professional wrestling, it's kind of bizarre there are so few Samoan characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

FilthyImp posted:

Since Vince consolidated a bunch of local leagues and went big, he was able to push his vision of wrestling due to being the creative control and having the most eyeballs on his shows. That's why you had huge dude's in the 80s like Ultimate Warrior, Hogan, Macho Man, etc. and why American Wrestling is just big slabs of beef.

Eh, I'd argue Macho Man wasn't really in that league, he was a much smaller, more agile and skilled dude than any of the lumbering oafs.