Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...is there *any* news what so ever besides the January 6th hearings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Twincityhacker posted:

The XFL is coming back for a third time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Twincityhacker posted:

Monkey pox is still spreading, the government is still insisting it’s a gay disease, and just recently said that gay men are giving monkey pox to children.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gripweed posted:

Monkey pox is still spreading, the government is still insisting it’s a gay disease, and just recently said that gay men are giving monkey pox to children.

When did the government do that?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Twincityhacker posted:

Well it's a few months old so I don't know that it's super current events, but I recently learned that the Democrats' purpose-built fundraising/campaigning tool 'NGP VAN' was recently acquired by a private investment firm operating out of the UK -

https://theintercept.com/2022/05/10/democrats-campaign-tech-ngp-van-apax/

I'm just a lowly worker, so obviously I don't know fancy, high-level concepts like finances and international influence, but uh, it seems really bad to have a foreign-based entity own the largest voter information database in existence.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

When did the government do that?

https://twitter.com/repmtg/status/1550969674778775552?s=21&t=YyOV_-py8UpRNIQX-QsBcA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Oh. I don't think I would consider MGT saying something dumb as "the government says gay men are giving kids moneypox" or it's "only a gay disease."

This is the only official statement from the CDC about it:

quote:

Dr. Jennifer McQuiston, deputy director of the CDC's Division of High Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, said Friday that the cases in children were not surprising and that the US should be ready to respond to more.

Since the monkeypox outbreak began in May, most of the cases have happened among men who have sex with men. However, anyone can catch the virus through close skin-to-skin contact. In the case of children, the agency said this could include "holding, cuddling, feeding, as well as through shared items such as towels, bedding, cups, and utensils."

The social networks that we have as humans mean that we have contact with a lot of different people. And while this outbreak is spreading in a particular social network right now, I think we've messaged from the start that there could be cases that occur outside those networks and that we need to be vigilant for it and ready to respond and message about it. I know that in Europe and other places where this outbreak is also expanding, they have reported cases in children, in women. And I think the same thing is happening and expected to happen here in the United States.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The AP described it as an STD so whatever the CDC meant there, the message was clear.

Good work framing this as the new gay plague at a time when homophobia is on the rise.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I mean she at least works for the government? Like when you get a big office in the capitol you're at least a little government, yeah?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Holy gently caress they could not have framed that worse.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
MTG is only just barely part of the government in the most basic sense. She's a member of the House minority and has no committee seats. Her only power is to cast votes on other people's bills. This tweet no more reflects the position of the federal government than that of some random mid-hierarchy civil servant. The civil servant probably more so, since they can make unilateral binding decisions

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

The AP described it as an STD so whatever the CDC meant there, the message was clear.

Good work framing this as the new gay plague at a time when homophobia is on the rise.

The "STD" part was MTG editorializing.

She doesn't say it is an STD in the clip and the CDC literally says it isn't an STD:

quote:

Since the monkeypox outbreak began in May, most of the cases have happened among men who have sex with men. However, anyone can catch the virus through close skin-to-skin contact. In the case of children, the agency said this could include "holding, cuddling, feeding, as well as through shared items such as towels, bedding, cups, and utensils."

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Jaxyon posted:

Relating it to sexual contact in any manner is irresponsible and wrong. what the actual gently caress.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

She doesn't say it is an STD in the clip and the CDC literally says it isn't an STD:

Yeah somebody better let the AP know that

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1550459483113095168

But great work CDC on making sure to mention "kids" and "men having sex with men" in the same sentence at a time when conservatives are implying all queer people are child groomers.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Relating it to sexual contact in any manner is irresponsible and wrong. what the actual gently caress.

No it's not, because it is vital that highest risk communities be informed of symptoms, prevention, vaccines, and treatment. That's how epidemiology and public health work.

It's walking a fine line between trying to protect the communities at highest risk and having it framed as another gay disease.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think they meant this AP article from a few days ago

https://apnews.com/article/monkeypox-the-next-std-3266fd0ae451578c989605f430cd3897

I don't know if "The Government" is saying it's an STD but a lot of people, and messaging had not helped this, are becoming convinced this is just a gay STD which is uh, both really bad and really dangerous.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fritz the Horse posted:

No it's not, because it is vital that highest risk communities be informed of symptoms, prevention, vaccines, and treatment. That's how epidemiology and public health work.

It's walking a fine line between trying to protect the communities at highest risk and having it framed as another gay disease.

It's transmissible through contact. You don't need to say "gay sex" when you can say " physical contact". just because there is a vector via gay sex is no different than a vector through dry humping or naked mud wrestling. You can inform communities without putting a loving crosshair on their back in your press release.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 25, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
CDC is really bad at messaging. Real March 2020 vibes from this poo poo.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

People ITT making generalizations about impeachment, a process that has been rarely implemented and under wildly differing circumstances. And no former president has been prosecuted before.

I think it's fair to say trying to draw conclusions about how the voters respond to impeachment or the political climate surrounding them is short sighted. What is happening right now has never happened in America before. You can be cynical about that, you can be optimistic about that, both are reasonable responses, but pretending the arc of history bends toward any particular outcome is soothsaying.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

haveblue posted:

MTG is only just barely part of the government in the most basic sense. She's a member of the House minority and has no committee seats. Her only power is to cast votes on other people's bills. This tweet no more reflects the position of the federal government than that of some random mid-hierarchy civil servant. The civil servant probably more so, since they can make unilateral binding decisions

I mean sure saying it's "the government's view" is very uh generous but also i really, really do think that a sitting congresswoman is more a part of the federal government than a random irs pencil pusher or whatever. Like its in the constitution and stuff

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean sure saying it's "the government's view" is very uh generous but also i really, really do think that a sitting congresswoman is more a part of the federal government than a random irs pencil pusher or whatever. Like its in the constitution and stuff

When people say "an organization says X", it implies that the heads of the organization says X. If you think, in this case, that the top ....800+ members (house/senate/president/white house top staff/cabinet leaders and their top staff/etc) of an organization are the heads, we disagree. And I suspect most everyone would also disagree with you.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 25, 2022

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Did any of you saying MTG isn’t “the government” actually watch the clip? Walensky literally says the US knows of two cases in children that were traced back to the “men who have sex with men community, the gay men’s community.” That is the head of the CDC saying that children got monkeypox from contact with specifically gay men. I think that reasonably counts as “the government’s position.” It was not taken out of context.

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 25, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Jigsaw posted:

Did any of you saying the MTG isn’t “the government” actually watch the clip? Walensky literally says the US knows of two cases in children that were traced back to the “men who have sex with men community, the gay men’s community.” That is the head of the CDC saying that children got monkeypox from contact with specifically gay men. I think that reasonably counts as “the government’s position.” It was not taken out of context.

Yeah messaging is not just "Are the words we said factually true" it's also "how we say it".

And they just handed a soundbite to violent fascist homophobes.

And the media is already running with it.

Pretty big "oopsie" and I guarantee you some queer folks are going to get hurt or killed because of it. But we can debate how much "in the government" MTG is, sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jigsaw posted:

Did any of you saying the MTG isn’t “the government” actually watch the clip? Walensky literally says the US knows of two cases in children that were traced back to the “men who have sex with men community, the gay men’s community.” That is the head of the CDC saying that children got monkeypox from contact with specifically gay men. I think that reasonably counts as “the government’s position.” It was not taken out of context.

The question she was asked was how two infants got it when 99.8% of confirmed cases are from sexual contact between two men.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Kalit posted:

When people say "an organization says X", it implies that the heads of the organization says X. If you think, in this case, that the top ....800+ members (house/senate/president/white house top staff/cabinet leaders and their top staff/etc) of an organization are the heads, we disagree. And I suspect most everyone would also disagree with you.

Yeah which is why i said the initial framing of her as "the government" was "very generous", which is a figure of speech meant to convey the meaning "inaccurate". I apologize for being unclear.

The rest of the post was disagreeing with the idea that "a random low level civil servant" is more influential in the government than a sitting member of Congress, because I disagree with that. Elected officials have a lot of power, both hard and soft, in terms of platform and prestige and so on, as well as being able to vote on legislation and introduce bills and stuff.

I don't know. Maybe being in Congress is pointless and impotent but we sure seem concerned with who gets to be there.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

The question she was asked was how two infants got it when 99.8% of confirmed cases are from sexual contact between two men.

Yes, and she said they got it from contact with the gay men’s community. The idea that it is an STD and was spread by child abuse may be editorializing by MTG and the AP, fine, but the claim that gay men gave two children monkeypox was not. Thus, the government’s position is that gay men gave/are giving children monkeypox, while they did not directly comment on whether monkeypox is an STD.

Edit: if she wanted to counter the possible misinterpretation of her statement, in order to address the question you posted, it would have been very easy and helpful to add something like: “and although sexual contact is one way this disease can spread, it’s not the only way, and wasn’t in those cases.” (Or something phrased better than that that communicates the same info—I don’t have as much time to prep or workshop these things as the head of the CDC.) But this isn’t strictly relevant to the original point, which was just that the government’s position is that gay men gave/are giving children monkeypox.

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 25, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jigsaw posted:

Yes, and she said they got it from contact with the gay men’s community. The idea that it is an STD and was spread by child abuse may be editorializing by MTG and the AP, fine, but the claim that gay men gave two children monkeypox was not. Thus, the government’s position is that gay men gave/are giving children monkeypox.

You know there is a difference between a factual statement and a description of intent? Do you say that "Chinese people gave 200 million Americans covid" because the original outbreak group was 100% Chinese?

Jigsaw posted:

Edit: if she wanted to counter the possible misinterpretation of her statement, in order to address the question you posted, it would have been very easy and helpful to add something like: “and although sexual contact is one way this disease can spread, it’s not the only way, and wasn’t in those cases.” (Or something phrased better than that that communicates the same info—I don’t have as much time to prep or workshop these things as the head of the CDC.)

That is basically what the CDC did say:

quote:

The social networks that we have as humans mean that we have contact with a lot of different people. And while this outbreak is spreading in a particular social network right now, I think we've messaged from the start that there could be cases that occur outside those networks and that we need to be vigilant for it and ready to respond and message about it. I know that in Europe and other places where this outbreak is also expanding, they have reported cases in children, in women. And I think the same thing is happening and expected to happen here in the United States.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

If MTG said the sky was blue because I'd look out the window, because amongst other things she's a known liar and conspricy theorist.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Twincityhacker posted:

If MTG said the sky was blue because I'd look out the window, because amongst other things she's a known liar and conspricy theorist.

That's great but major news outlets are already running with "it's a gay plague" in various forms.

And this is sounding awful familiar to anyone who lived through the 80's.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You know there is a difference between a factual statement and a description of intent? Do you say that "Chinese people gave 200 million Americans covid" because the original outbreak group was 100% Chinese?

That is basically what the CDC did say:

Dude, people are complaining about the way the message was delivered and your response is "you know there is a difference between the delivery and the message, right?". Of course they know, they're explicitly complaining about the delivery and framing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dude, people are complaining about the way the message was delivered and your response is "you know there is a difference between the delivery and the message, right?". Of course they know, they're explicitly complaining about the delivery and framing.

Yeah I literally said exactly that in my post.

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah messaging is not just "Are the words we said factually true" it's also "how we say it".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

haveblue posted:

MTG is an elected representative so she absolutely is the government, but either way I was talking about the video. Walensky is also part of the government.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah I literally said exactly that in my post.

It's that thing where because the first post was "The government says" anyone who comes in with a more refined argument that actually makes sense still gets treated like they went "uh the government says" instead of just being engaged as their own argument.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Gripweed posted:

MTG is an elected representative so she absolutely is the government, but either way I was talking about the video. Walensky is also part of the government.
She is part of the government, but she absolutely is not the government in the way people mean when they say the government.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I think the point is that there's clearly groundwork being laid to start attacking gay people for "health" reasons, and considering centrist support for gay rights hinges entirely on if it polls well or not this should be Concerning.

e: attack gay people for "health" reasons again, I mean

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 25, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jethro posted:

She is part of the government, but she absolutely is not the government in the way people mean when they say the government.

But surely the CDC would count as “the government” in a popular sense.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

edit: n/m. Really not pertinent to this discussion

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If your focus is on what MTG tweeted and not Walensky said you are just playing a pathetic game of political sports.

Walensky’s messaging is atrocious and vile. She has lied outright about covid numerous times and now she is spreading gay panic. If Biden wasn’t experiencing elder abuse by Dems I’d say he nominated her out of maliciousness.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Lol yes a woman who has spent most of her career working to improve the screening and treatment of HIV/AIDS is a homophobe

Given those statistics, I think we should be castigating the virus for being so homophobic and bigoted, and not Dr. Walensky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The issues with 99% of the cases being queer people is that if you are not a man who has sex with men it's *very difficult* to get a test.